You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MammaShark

Indianapolis

21 comments in this topic

Members
71 posts

Am truly sad.......no complaining here but  i was caught by surprise with the end of the  Indianapolis  mission. Finished 19 of 21 missions .  Ive seem comments here and there about how difficult the Indianapolis is in battle to play  and was eager to earn one with the time i had to invest  but i fall short. Its a beautiful ship . Thanks Wargamming the pursuit was still fun . 

• Cool 2

[PNP]
Members
393 posts
2,945 battles

Although you didn't get the ship, at least you got some of the neat mission rewards along the way! Only free ship I dont regret missing out on is the Duke of York campaign. Too much of a grindfest to spend my time on.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
9,571 posts
7,466 battles
3 minutes ago, MammaShark said:

Am truly sad.......no complaining here but  i was caught by surprise with the end of the  Indianapolis  mission. Finished 19 of 21 missions .  Ive seem comments here and there about how difficult the Indianapolis is in battle to play  and was eager to earn one with the time i had to invest  but i fall short. Its a beautiful ship . Thanks Wargamming the pursuit was still fun . 

:Smile_honoring:

WG is running one ship a day until the 27th to be half off. so maybe Indianapolis will show up for $17.57 this month?

• Cool 1

[CK5]
Members
802 posts
6,539 battles

If the Christmas boxes re-appear this year, there is a good chance  Indy will be in them.  That is how I got mine. 

• Cool 2

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,252 posts
7,734 battles

I bought the ship a long while back, its quite an alright ship if played right.

• Cool 3

[WOLF2]
Members
1,320 posts
13,050 battles
1 hour ago, Kizarvexis said:

WG is running one ship a day until the 27th to be half off. so maybe Indianapolis will show up for $17.57 this month?

Would be nice if they told us ahead of time or at least what might be on the list so we don't have to waste our time running around like hamsters every day - Oh Wait, it's hamster food nvm!

[TNG]
Members
820 posts
6,188 battles
2 hours ago, MammaShark said:

ive had the indianapolis twice already. once threw a SC once in this event. I played a total of 1 battle from 2 copies, sold them both for silver. trust me you not missing much at all.

Members
3,775 posts
14,010 battles
1 hour ago, Kevik70 said:

It took me about 12-13 battles to finally get the hang of fighting Indy effectively and I do pretty good with her. Hell, I rank higher on my teams with Indy than I do with Helena.

[BBP]
Members
334 posts
4,324 battles

If you came up short on the missions and are interested in buying Indy, I'd just buy Atlanta instead.  By most accounts it is a superior ship in the same line / tier.

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,252 posts
7,734 battles
12 minutes ago, ReddNekk said:

It took me about 12-13 battles to finally get the hang of fighting Indy effectively and I do pretty good with her. Hell, I rank higher on my teams with Indy than I do with Helena.

She has some wonderful 203mm main guns and a Des Memes Radar. Little squishy but you don't want to be taking fire all that much anyways.

Members
9 posts
4,034 battles

The Indianapolis was my first premium ship back in 2015. I think I played 30-40 battles with it. I hated it so much I uninstalled the game and did not come back for 3 years. I sold it when I came back.

To be honest, its not a bad ship. I finished the indy quest yesterday and will keep her around this time.

Edited by Ajflick42_Destroy

Members
1,540 posts
8,172 battles

Hey

I for one hated the Indy and have sold it twice.  The gun were good but the hull absolutely suck and ate damage like it was going out of style; no amount of angling seemed to help.  I don't miss it one bit; too bad too, with it's history and all.

Pete

Members
3,416 posts
8,276 battles

I got the Indie through the missions simply by playing per my normal; no specific intent to get the ship.

Anyway, I threw my 19 pt DM cpt. on and tried it out a couple of times last night immediately after the server debacle. The second time I was bottom tier on Warrior's Path so I assumed a more supportive approach. Although I did manage to use maneuverability and fluid positioning to maintain health while actively hitting heavy T9 targets from range and DDs more up close. We won fairly handily but I was somewhat surprised and disappointed by how little total damage I scored. I could have peppered in a bit more AP in the mix; nonetheless...

Edited by lemekillmister

[ARGSY]
Members
6,258 posts
4,224 battles
5 hours ago, MammaShark said:

So sorry you did not succeed. Been there myself with the Aigle mission; between sickness and pre-planned travel obligations, that one was never going to end well for me. But glad you enjoyed the chase.

5 hours ago, RighteousRhyno said:

Although you didn't get the ship, at least you got some of the neat mission rewards along the way! Only free ship I dont regret missing out on is the Duke of York campaign. Too much of a grindfest to spend my time on.

I realised I wasn't going to get that one when I saw I had to mine Dreadnought and High Calibre medals because my only eligible ships were Emerald and Leander. That task was beyond me at the time, so I quit right away and started developing other lines for "next time". The payoff was in the Indy.

5 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

The last Indianapolis-related crate drop is on the 25th, so I would expect her out on the 26th or 27th, when all those tasks are done and you can't use a $18 sale ship to potentially win a $50 premium. I have already made good use of her as a retrainer for captains of US cruisers in the "nine 8-inch gun" category, for which she is ideally suited. She even has radar, to get my New Orleans captain better oriented when the time comes to move up to Baltimore.

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,834 posts
4,724 battles
5 hours ago, Kevik70 said:

That ship can be godlike if you run it with a Des Moines captain and a radar mod :P

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,252 posts
7,734 battles
Just now, Dr_Venture said:

That ship can be godlike if you run it with a Des Moines captain and a radar mod :P

Not sure I have a spare radar mod around but I do use the DM John Doe Capt. for extra amazingness.

[PVE]
Members
9,571 posts
7,466 battles
1 minute ago, Dr_Venture said:

The special RADAR mods are only for T9 & T10 cruisers and destroyers, so that leaves out Indianapolis.

[BBICT]
Members
3,368 posts
3,561 battles

Well, looks like I missed out. Between our lease running out and having to move, plus other "real life" stuff I didn't have much hope in getting that one anyway. I love my Hotlanta, don't get me wrong, but she is not a good trainer for a USN CA captain... 

Oh well...onward! :Smile_honoring:

[ARGSY]
Members
6,258 posts
4,224 battles
2 minutes ago, Sir_Davos_Seaworth said:

Well, looks like I missed out. Between our lease running out and having to move, plus other "real life" stuff I didn't have much hope in getting that one anyway. I love my Hotlanta, don't get me wrong, but she is not a good trainer for a USN CA captain... 

Oh well...onward! :Smile_honoring:

Sorry to hear that, and I can truly sympathise with you. Better luck next time.

• Cool 1

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,834 posts
4,724 battles
19 minutes ago, Kevik70 said:

Not sure I have a spare radar mod around but I do use the DM John Doe Capt. for extra amazingness.

I probably thougth I put one on due to the 9.9 detection range. 

[BBICT]
Members
3,368 posts
3,561 battles
4 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Sorry to hear that, and I can truly sympathise with you. Better luck next time.

Thanks! Its been a crazy six months really...I had to buy a car and house...and didn't plan on either one, LOL. Wife got in what at first was a fender bender that turned into a totaled car. That same week we found out we had to move...pucker factor!!! :fish_panic:But so far so good, even if we still have boxes to unpack. 

I've said this before, but this silly game really does help keep me sane... even if I could only play a couple game just to get a Container. I've been able to do a couple of these "grind" missions (Spee and Takao) but I did kind of want the Indi mostly for her history.. I know she isn't an easy ship to play, but I've dealt with that before. (pre buff Eugen, and getting always up tiered in the Martel for example) No, I wouldn't be the best in her, but it would be nice to have a 12 to 14 point captain to share time on the Alaska now that she is soon tm. 

Oh well...want to here God laugh? Tell him your plans! LOL. :Smile_teethhappy: