You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_Gax_

As a BB Capt when do you open fire?

43 comments in this topic

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles

When do you as a BB Capt like to open fire? Is it when an enemy is just in range or after you've become detected? 

For me it depends. If I'm not exposed then as soon as he's in range. If he's got friends and I'm exposed not likely unless I'm detected. To some degree it also depends on what the target is also. 

Just wondering what everyones thoughts are. 

[INTEL]
Members
8,581 posts
25,683 battles

As soon as possible. I want people firing at me so my teammates and I can see them and kill them. 

• Cool 4

[ARGSY]
Members
6,285 posts
4,243 battles

As soon as I have a good shot. If I have AP loaded, I ideally like to fire at broadside or near-broadside targets. If it looks like I'll be facing sharply angled targets and there's time to change ammo, I will select HE for that purpose. I will sometimes select HE at the start of the battle for this reason, opening fire at maximum range in the hope of getting a fire or two, then shifting to AP when I'm more confident of scoring decisive hits. This is especially the case in ships whose dispersion is less than stellar.

• Cool 2

[WOLF2]
Members
889 posts
7,214 battles

Depends on the MM.   If I'm that lone T8 BB, I tend to hold fire.    But many times, I'll send rounds down range.

Did a stint with using my concealment and opening fire at close range.....    well, until my Duke of York ran into the red team's Missouri...

Slide.gif

• Funny 1

[SRBL]
Members
122 posts
7 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

As soon as I have a good shot. If I have AP loaded, I ideally like to fire at broadside or near-broadside targets. If it looks like I'll be facing sharply angled targets and there's time to change ammo, I will select HE for that purpose. I will sometimes select HE at the start of the battle for this reason, opening fire at maximum range in the hope of getting a fire or two, then shifting to AP when I'm more confident of scoring decisive hits. This is especially the case in ships whose dispersion is less than stellar.

Same, if I have a reasonably good chance of scoring a long range hit I'll open fire, most of my BBs are set up for conceal so if I miss I can always hang tight for a few and disappear while waiting for a better shot. 

[SUCIT]
Members
824 posts
3,617 battles

When I'm in an advantageous position, and I have the ability to do damage.  Opening fire for the sake of just shooting is not how to play BB. 

In my Montana I usually sit about 14km out and try to put myself in the best position to bully the other team out of the caps.  This lets me dictate the engagement, and will allow me to disengage when I see fit, or stay engaged if I think the HP trade is worth it.  Think of your health pool as an asset, you have to think when it is best to trade that asset for damage.  

[AWP]
Members
782 posts
3,007 battles

Depends on the BB I’m in, the MM, and the situation. If I’m in the Montana and have AP loaded at the start, I will wait until a BB is spotted and they try to turn out. Also I make sure to get all guns on target and start turning to angle in before I fire. Ideally I like to surprised targets and be angled shortly after firing.

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles
8 minutes ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

When I'm in an advantageous position, and I have the ability to do damage.  Opening fire for the sake of just shooting is not how to play BB. 

In my Montana I usually sit about 14km out and try to put myself in the best position to bully the other team out of the caps.  This lets me dictate the engagement, and will allow me to disengage when I see fit, or stay engaged if I think the HP trade is worth it.  Think of your health pool as an asset, you have to think when it is best to trade that asset for damage.  

This is the main reason I will give ground or disengage if I'm on a flank that is outgunned. No sense throwing away your ship or firepower trying to kill one ship. 

Members
99 posts
1,439 battles

I'm dumbdumb. I shoot at a 40knot dd that's 20km usually revealed first. Prob about a .000034 hit chance 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,866 posts
5,255 battles

Unless I’m running a ship that needs to get in close, I will usually open fire at Long/extreme range when presented with a tasty broadside shot.   Scored quite a few cits and even the occasional instant deletion that way.   I know that has to really piss off people when that happens.   I actually feel bad about it.

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,252 posts
7,736 battles

It's a balance between risk vs reward. If the reward aka damage/chance to secure a kill is worth the amount of damage you are likely to receive in return then by all means open fire. Then pretty much stay in the fight until you need to hide away and heal, but never advance too far in that you can't retreat if needed. (This of course is dependent of the number of enemy ships present vs allied ships)

• Cool 1

[CUTER]
Members
699 posts
19,003 battles
2 minutes ago, Kevik70 said:

It's a balance between risk vs reward. If the reward aka damage/chance to secure a kill is worth the amount of damage you are likely to receive in return then by all means open fire. Then pretty much stay in the fight until you need to hide away and heal, but never advance too far in that you can't retreat if needed. (This of course is dependent of the number of enemy ships present vs allied ships)

This.  Its less about shooting when spotted or not, and more to do with tge second and third order effects of your decision.

Beta Testers
1,049 posts
13,833 battles
56 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

As soon as possible. I want people firing at me so my teammates and I can see them and kill them. 

This in a nutshell....I do not hold fire until perfect shot.

Members
241 posts

I sometimes shoot my guns before I can see anything and immediately turn away just to get idiot baddies shooting back at me.  

[VOP]
Members
269 posts
7,034 battles

I shoot as soon as I am in range to try and get the heat off friendly DDs and cruisers.

• Cool 1

[NUWES]
Members
1,655 posts
5,562 battles
1 hour ago, Taichunger said:

^This. And for exactly this reason. I want them shooting at me so my armor and heal can mitigate it and I want to force them to maneuver and/or move out of position to run for cover.

• Cool 1

[TBOW]
Members
1,252 posts
10,669 battles

Depends.  I usually chamber a round of HE, to start with, incase a DD pops out, so I can pop him with HE, I tend to hold it a till a DD shows or if low number of DDs I will drop it on the first Cruiser I see, then switch back to AP, and hope the team is paying attention to the cruiser and shooting too.

[CAST]
Members
1,201 posts
7,372 battles

I'll usually have my BB situated at the beginning of the game, so that any incoming shots will be less than ideal.  If the enemy shows up, I take the shot, regardless of the angle he presents himself on.  If he is a broadside BB, I aim for the citadel.  If he is bow on, I aim for the superstructure.  I don't hold my shots unless I can clearly see that a ship is turning and will give me a better shot.  I still keep them targeted, in case they go dark.  If that happens, I immediately fire at the last known heading.  Cruisers are just a target, no matter what.  They are harder to hit at speed, but you don't need to worry about superstructure.  Just aim using a normal lead and blast them.  Its all about putting shots on target, so any target is a good target at the beginning of the game.

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,892 posts
10,457 battles

Unless I'm at critically low hp, my guns keep singing from the moment the first enemy is spotted

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,124 posts
7,655 battles

As often as I can.  There are few situations where I will hold back my shells.  I'm in a battleship.  I'm meant not only to be dealing boat-loads (get it?) of damage but I'm also supposed to be tanking.  If I'm not visible because I'm not shooting, then that means my cruisers can't do their job and engage safely.

• Cool 4

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,085 posts
14,482 battles

I open up as soon as I can.  Long range BB gunnery is difficult and RNG can really screw you over even if you do make correct aim.  But sometimes you land big damage at long range, and making someone enter the main fight with 10k-20k off their HP while they're at 20km away, they're off on a bad start.

Musashi whacking things at range.

NK1E0ru.jpg

3SZcF25.jpg

4zHrjne.jpg

Yamato vs Yamato, 2 minutes into a match.

8Io7UOw.jpg

CuCW1zk.jpg

Starting a match eating that much damage before you even get to your optimal 15km gun range on most BBs sets you behind.

There's a whole series of Pro's & Con's for a BB opening up early and far.  

PRO

+ Like the images show, you can sometimes get lucky and bag significant damage.

+ It puts opposing ships in the area on notice that there's actually a BB in the area.  Cruisers behave much more differently if they know enemy BBs are operating in the area.

+ You attract gunfire and so your team knows where the enemy ships are and who, what they are.  This especially lets Cruisers and Destroyers to start forming a plan early on instead of at the last second.  It's much more easy for them to do this when enemy ships are opening up at 18km+ instead of showing up at 13km or less.

CON

- You attract a lot of early gunfire and can possibly be taking early, big damage even at range.  After all, some of those guys on the enemy team are as just as good a shot as you are, or even better.

- You give up your ability to stay hidden and sneak up to closer ranges and whack people.  Even Yamato in a Full Stealth Build goes down to about a scary 13.5km detection range.  If you are constantly firing guns at long range, that stealth then becomes meaningless as a tactical tool.

- Long Range BB gunfire can be difficult and wildly inaccurate.  You're showing yourself on the map for low hit % attacks.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

If I can pull the trigger on my own terms then generally I'll open up as soon as I am positioned to meet the inevitable response.

If I'm dealing with a larger force and need to begin a tactical advance to the rear (forward or in reverse) in a delaying action versus an offensive one I'll try to get headed in the right direction before I open up. If I'm going to start pushing I'll get all my guns oriented the right way and hull properly angled.  

I call it "polishing the cannonball" and many will disagree with it but that's what I do...

There are always extenuating circumstances- if I need to draw some fire away from a friendly then of course I will but my platinum standard is "I'll fire when I'm goddamned good and ready. You got that?!" (+1 to the first person who can identify what movie that quote comes from.)

Edited by _ENO_

[SIDE]
Members
1,409 posts

Usually only when spotted early in match so I can keep enemy guessing my location and intentions as long as possible. Later on I’m running those guns like it’s my job, cuz, it is.