You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
__crazy8s_

Are there any good tier 8 premium destroyers?

60 comments in this topic

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles

I'm noticing there are only really a couple tier 8 premium destroyers and I'm not interested in either of the two.  Will there be any new tier 8 premium dd's that are coming down the line?   I don't want to drop money for a destroyer that I wont play.  I want to drop money for a destroyer that I will play.  I don't see much options on the premium shop site.  What would anybody recommend?

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,834 posts
11,180 battles

Kidd, Hsf Hazekaze and the up coming Cossack

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
Just now, CriMiNaL__ said:

Kidd, Hsf Hazekaze and the up coming Cossack

I may be interested in Cossack.  I looked at Hazekaze and the torpedo range seemed just kinda bleh.

[PVE]
Members
9,695 posts
7,466 battles
1 minute ago, torpsRus said:

I'm noticing there are only really a couple tier 8 premium destroyers and I'm not interested in either of the two.  Will there be any new tier 8 premium dd's that are coming down the line?   I don't want to drop money for a destroyer that I wont play.  I want to drop money for a destroyer that I will play.  I don't see much options on the premium shop site.  What would anybody recommend?

Which two did you not like as there are at least three that I know of.

HSF Harakaze, Kidd, Loyang. I think Asashio is T8 as well.

HSF Harakaze has the Akizuki guns as well as two sets of US 127mm guns, so you are getting three types of DD in one package.

Kidd is big into AA.

Loyang is a very popular PA DD with regular torps.

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles

Only problem I'm having with Cossack though is this

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
1 minute ago, Kizarvexis said:

Asashio

I did not see Asashio on the premium shop site.

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles

Got it bookmarked thanks.  I may pick up Asashio next month we shall see after I buy things for my forge which is yea needless to say expensive.  But that project unfortunately comes before I can buy anything for a game.  But it is definitely book marked.  But at least for now I have the permanent camo for Akizuki not really a premium but I still earn credits with the camo.  So for now it will have to do.  Thanks.

[-K-]
Members
614 posts
4,840 battles

Lo Yang. Best DD hydro at tier 8, normal torps and a Benson hull C.

Great pan asia DD trainer to

[PVE]
Members
9,695 posts
7,466 battles
3 minutes ago, torpsRus said:

Got it bookmarked thanks.  I may pick up Asashio next month we shall see after I buy things for my forge which is yea needless to say expensive.  But that project unfortunately comes before I can buy anything for a game.  But it is definitely book marked.  But at least for now I have the permanent camo for Akizuki not really a premium but I still earn credits with the camo.  So for now it will have to do.  Thanks.

Do note that Asashio can not hit DDs or CL/CAs with torps. Her deep water torps only hit BBs and CVs.

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
1 minute ago, Kizarvexis said:

Do note that Asashio can not hit DDs or CL/CAs with torps. Her deep water torps only hit BBs and CVs.

I saw that in game already kind of surprised me actually.

[NNC]
[NNC]
Beta Testers
398 posts
5,675 battles
11 minutes ago, torpsRus said:

Only problem I'm having with Cossack though is this

Very old version of Cossack (Haida)

New version below. However, it will probably have 5.5km detection on release, not 5.1.

[PVE]
Members
9,695 posts
7,466 battles
Just now, torpsRus said:

I saw that in game already kind of surprised me actually.

BB mains lost their minds when it came out. But it seemed to go the way of how RDF was the end of everything and was meh after the skill shuffle of 6.0. :Smile_teethhappy:

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles

Again I'm just not so sold on Cossack even with the updated progress report.

Members
1,149 posts
3,141 battles

Here's my thoughts on all of them (the ones I own are in bold font, the other ones I will just commentate on)

Kidd- plays like a cross between a benson/fletcher and an Akizuki, both of which are good ships, but sometimes Kidd feels a little awkward. She lacks the hard hitting torps and gunpower that Aki has but in return gets a heal (which is great), awesome AA, and better manuverability/concealment. Great for ranked, not quite as good in randoms, but still very capable. Only one torp launcher that has no torp reload booster (unlike Akizuki). 

Harekaze- typical IJN torpedo boat but with gun options. Weak HP pool and the inability to have both smoke and torp reload booster is a downside, but the torps are good and the guns can be very good (especially after the pen buff, IFHE won't be required on the 100mm hull). With a good captain the Harekaze is very capable, but looks to be very difficult to set up/play. I would recommend if you're willing to invest the time. The more you put into this ship, the more you will get out. 

Loyang- Basically a C-hull benson with weaker torps but gets Hydro. That means great stealth and manuverability, and decent AA (although you won't be running DFAA since the reason you get this ship is the Hydro). The hydro goes out to about 5.5km, which is VERY good. The Loyang  is excellent in fights where both destroyers smoke up on the point. Loyang can creep up and gun them down (or at least cripple them) very efficiently. There's some slow, light hitting 9.2km torps and some MUCH faster, MUCH harder hitting 6.7km torps. Most people use the 9.2s but the option is there. Loyang is notorious for her reputation in Ranked. Pick Loyang instead of Kidd if you take a more tactical approach to your games. The price for Hydro comes in the form of weaker firepower compared to the benson and much lower survivability and AA compared to KIdd. 

Asashio- Fantastic concealment, good maneuverability, bad guns (overall, but they hit hard), nonexistent AA, and torps that can pretty much only damage battleships. The speed, range, and damage of these torps makes Asashio possibly one of the best battleship hunters in the entire game. Other than that, Asashio isn't really that good, since once the battleships are gone the torps are useless. Good for farming damage in Randoms, pretty bad in ranked. 

Cossack- not sure about this one since testing isn't over

So to conclude. If you want a gunboat/cap point bully, pick Kidd. If you want a more "tactical" Kidd, get Loyang. If you want a hybrid destroyer that favors torps, get Harekaze. If you want to do nothing but farm battleships, get Asashio. 

[BAND]
Beta Testers
25 posts
8,236 battles

Hiada is utter crapstay away 

asashio is great i love it 

most t6 are meh but not horrid depends on play style

not sure about loyang but i cut it up in most DDs i play so meh 

Beta Testers
2,118 posts
3,591 battles
2 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

HSF Harakaze has the Akizuki guns as well as two sets of US 127mm guns, so you are getting three types of DD in one package.

Kidd is big into AA.

he asked for good ships though...

• Funny 1

[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
255 posts
3,194 battles
19 minutes ago, masiyaa said:

How so? Find it rather enjoyable other then I whish we could choose to turn off the smoke if we don't need it anymore.

@torpsRus I rather like the Kidd, it's a bit odd but a lot of fun imo...

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
22 minutes ago, masiyaa said:

asashio is great i love it 

most t6 are meh but not horrid depends on play style

not sure about loyang but i cut it up in most DDs i play so meh 

Not looking for a tier 7 I'm looking for a tier 8

[PVE]
Members
9,695 posts
7,466 battles
3 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

Kidd is big into AA.

8 minutes ago, Hanger_18 said:

he asked for good ships though...

:Smile_teethhappy:

Members
138 posts

loyang

overpowered ship. she is still competitive in tier 10 games. Her hydro is german and therefore, only the z-52 can out-hydro her.

good guns, good concealment, good torpedoes and german cruiser hydro 

Beta Testers
2,118 posts
3,591 battles
2 minutes ago, KaLeuWillenbrock said:

loyang

overpowered ship. she is still competitive in tier 10 games. Her hydro is german and therefore, only the z-52 can out-hydro her.

good guns, good concealment, good torpedoes and german cruiser hydro 

radar?

yknow especially the YY

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,094 posts
14,503 battles

Ever since Lo Yang's hydro got buffed, she's been competitive in Tier VIII.  It's even superior to every German DD Hydro except for Z-52 and she's in Tier X.  That should tell you how strong her hydro is.

Kidd is a rare sight but her staying power with fat HP pool and Repair Party makes her valuable.  Fletcher guns in Tier VIII, lots of HP, Repair Party, and potentially very strong AA are her hallmarks.  However, do NOT get her if you prize torpedoes.  She only has 1 launcher and it's not even Fletcher torps, nor does she have Torp Reload Booster.  Guns and staying power are her tools.