You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
S7CentNickel

Kidd or Harekaze

15 comments in this topic

[MVKS]
Members
142 posts
2,982 battles

Might just spend a few $ for a Tier 8 DD with the doubloon sale.  Kidd or Harekaze?

Members
1,459 posts
12,365 battles

Hare, the different gun configurations are great- I have both and play my Hare almost every day.

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,569 posts
4,439 battles

Whichever you buy, my advice is to get more games and experience in destroyers before you take either out for a spin. Try to reach tier 8 in either the USN or IJN DD tech tree first.

I had a look at your record, and imho if you take out the Kidd or Harekaze as of now you won't enjoy either of them.

[1NJS]
Members
323 posts
6,058 battles
12 minutes ago, S7CentNickel said:

Might just spend a few $ for a Tier 8 DD with the doubloon sale.  Kidd or Harekaze?

None of them. If you are going to buy a premium Destroyer, then you should choose between the T7 Sims or the T8 Lo Yang.

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,837 posts
11,180 battles

Buy the Kidd it seems to disappear from the shop all the time, where as the HSF one stays in the shop

[RLGN]
Members
8,297 posts
17,360 battles

Get Vampire instead? (If available...)

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
31 minutes ago, S7CentNickel said:

That depends on you. Harekaze is one of the best IJN stealth boats and is awesome with a cat camo and 75% of an Akizuki's guns (soon to be buffed). Kidd has a heal and [edited] torpedoes.  I prefer stealth torpedo boats. I never play my Kidd, it's yet another port queen. I play Harekaze regularly, although quite a bit less with the ongoing radarpocalypse, YMMV.

I tried both in T8 ranked and Akizuki was far better than either one there (again, for me, YMMV).

[NMKJT]
Members
2,738 posts

The collaboration with HSF is scheduled to end in September sometime, after which the Harekaze will not be offered again nor be in Santa crates. There are other chances for Sims, Kidd, and other destroyers. 

Pick the one best suited for you, but bear this in mind as well. 

• Cool 1

[SBS]
Members
2,488 posts
2,253 battles

As others have said it depends on the play style you like the most.  If you like both IJN and US DDs then I'd grab the Harekaze because it will be gone from the store in October as Wombat mentioned.  The other reason to get the Harekaze is because the IJN 100mm guns will be getting a very nice buff to the HE pen (1/4) in the near future.  Of course this advice assumes you have experience in mid-high tier DDs, if not then I would pass on both.

Members
3,821 posts
14,163 battles

I have both and I consider Harekaze to be the better of the two. Lo Yang is even better.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
1,112 posts
11,974 battles
23 minutes ago, RinzlerCobra said:

None of them. If you are going to buy a premium Destroyer, then you should choose between the T7 Sims or the T8 Lo Yang.

I have Sims and Lo Yang but get the most enjoyment and success out of Kidd.  Kidd does have to play a bit catious around hydroacoustic DDs like Lo Yang and Germans. I haven't played Harekaze.

[AXANR]
Members
3,370 posts
16,686 battles
31 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

Whichever you buy, my advice is to get more games and experience in destroyers before you take either out for a spin. Try to reach tier 8 in either the USN or IJN DD tech tree first.

I had a look at your record, and imho if you take out the Kidd or Harekaze as of now you won't enjoy either of them.

I second this. Not to statshame you, but I think you'll enjoy your purchase more if you hone your DD skills in mid-tier before buying a t8 premium. You have a couple t7 premium DDs; get used to operating in a lower radar environment before buying a t8 where you'll be uptiered to t10 fairly often and spend a lot of time getting radared. 

As far as the decision, it depends on your playstyle. Harekaze is very versatile; you can play her as a torpboat but she can also hold her own for anti-DD gunboating. She;s got a lot of flexibility. Kidd doesn't have Harekaze's flexibility. She's an incredible boat for competitive play and if you like USN anti-DD/cap-control gunboating, but she thrives when in a division or in competitive when she has friendlies taking advantage of what she spots. She does not have the torpedo capability to play a stealthtorp style of DD play well. She has a high skill ceiling, but a correspondingly high skill floor. 

If you like gunboats and anti-DD/cap control/"fleet DD" style roles, Kidd is amazing. But if you insist on buying one of the two right now, given that you're still learning DDs and the game itself if your stats are an indication, I'd go with Harekaze just for the flexibility and the fact that you can at least make some contribution even if you haven't developed the instincts and experience you need to excel in a gunboat DD. 

[LHG]
Members
1,196 posts
4,986 battles
21 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

Buy the Kidd it seems to disappear from the shop all the time, where as the HSF one stays in the shop

Harekaze will be gone indefinitely once the collaboration is over, unless that gets extended.

To OP, it depends on how gunboaty you want to go. Kidd is almost pure gunboat, while Harekaze can focus on guns or torps (or some mix of the two) depending on how you spec her commander.

Members
525 posts
3,702 battles

I'd wait.  The Harekaze is going to get a buff via the IFHE changes.  You might want to see how that plays out.  In ranked, the Kidd is more influential than the current Harekaze.  The Lo Yang is even better.  Further, T8 DD's are not in a good place right now due to constant uptiering and the new radar meta.  I'd play some more T7 and decide if you're a ninja torper, knife fighter, or hydro master.  The answer will come to you.