Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JubJub787_

How does the Henri IV compare to the Saint-Louis?

9 comments in this topic

[ADPT2]
[ADPT2]
Members
5 posts
3,655 battles

The high tier French cruisers I've played so far (Charles Martel, Saint-Louis) have been really fun because of the reload on the guns, the speed, and the range. The Henri looks like a change from the playstyle I've grown accustomed to, is it a radical change or will it be easy to adjust to?

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
8,283 posts
17,327 battles

You will be guaranteed to get deleted faster because you’ll always be in Tier 10 games?

Otherwise don’t know; as I thought you meant the only real St Louis at first glance...

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,887 posts
10,675 battles

I like Henri IV a lot. The guns are devastating with the AP vs ANY ship. Like Moskva in that regard. It's a big ship with poor concealment similar to Hindenburg (12.7km w/ CE and CSM1), and the turn radius and rudder shift are a bit worse than we are used to in the French CA's, but it is the fastest of them at a 35 knot base speed. Same torps we have had forever. AA is decent but not amazing. A little tougher than the previous ships but not a tank.

I absolutely loved Algerie and Charles Martel. Kept them both. For whatever reason I did not click with Saint-Louis? I struggled with it to do consistent damage and I found it hard to stay alive with it. Sold it and used FXP to move on pretty quick. Algerie and CM felt tougher by a lot. Henri IV goes back to that feeling. Whether you like STL or not Henri IV is an improvement.

[CVA16]
Members
2,301 posts
9,887 battles

Henri is better in almost every way except concealment (which is worse than the Stalingrad for some reason known only to WG). Their torps are identical. The only thing SL does better is see Tier 7s occasionally.  They generally see the same ships. Henri, like all T10s, is always top tier. I have previously mused as to why one would hang onto the SL after getting the Henri. SL is a decent ship but its playstyle is the same except Henri's bigger guns give you better penetration. Currently there is no mission/scenario that requires a tier 9 ship.

Edited by Sabot_100

[WOLF2]
Members
21 posts
4,001 battles

The Henri IV gives you INSANE AP which is extremely satisfying, Soviet DD levels of speed, and because of its higher health pool and some 30mm plating it is a big tankier. I would say that these pros definently come with a disadvantage compared to the previous heavy cruisers; the reload isn't as comfortable. Having a reload above ten seconds at T10 just does't feel as gun-boaty as the Saint Louis did. Overall though, the Henri is a very good ship that changes the play style a little bit.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,166 posts
14,583 battles

Once you have Henri IV, there is no reason to keep Saint-Louis.  She's better than S-L in every meaningful way except concealment.  But S-L isn't known for stealth anyways, so that doesn't matter.  I actually really liked S-L but even I came up empty with reasons to keep playing her.

Keeping Charles Martel from Tier VIII and Henri IV for Tier X is good to go.  CM is really good at Tier VIII and has the best stealth of the High Tier French Cruisers, which is pretty handy.

• Cool 1

[-I-]
Members
721 posts
8,258 battles

I loved the Saint Luis but the Henri is better in every way.  Given the guns' size, IFHE on a Henri captain is a good idea.  Something you wouldn't do on French cruisers beyond tier 6.  

[CVA16]
Members
2,301 posts
9,887 battles
26 minutes ago, Chuck_Wiggles said:

Given the guns' size, IFHE on a Henri captain is a good idea

Its not a terrible idea as it would be on the T7-9 ships but not sure it is a good idea. It is a 4-pt skill with benefits only against a few targets (like Khab). Then again, AA skills are only valuable in the few matches that have CVs (current meta, after the CV rework who knows) and then only if the CV decides to challenge you. Most will avoid you for you DFAA potential.

Just wondering, do the AA buff skills show up (increased AA rating) on the team screens at the start of a match?

[DD214]
Members
758 posts

I really enjoyed the Saint Louis.  Then when I needed a slot, she was sold. The Henri is so strong and plays a lot like the Khaba with big guns. Hard to justify the port slot for the Saint Louis once you get the feel for the Big Banquette. 

Sign in to follow this