You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
WestPac_CG22

Are Guided Missile Cruisers on the Distant Horizon?

20 comments in this topic

[NNA]
Members
202 posts
5,755 battles

I'm posing a question here, "Are guided missile cruisers on the distant horizon in World of Warships?"  I see more ships being introduced that are post WWII. The Worcester being launched in 1947, and the Des Moines in 1946. Apparently they will be launching a Large Cruiser class with The U.S.S Alaska (1944). I suppose they could add U.S.S. Newport News, but I don't see that as nothing more than another version of the Des Moines. The Worcester class was the last of the U.S. gun ships. Even the Moskva was a Stalingrad class battle cruiser that was started in 1952, but never completed and the HMS Minotaur was the last of the WWII cruisers for England before moving to the Tiger class in the late 50's early 60's. It would make sense that at some point WOW might have to branch off into the Nuclear Age with missile class cruisers and Destroyers and BBs. Not to mention jet technology for CVs. What's your opinion?

• Bad 2

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,217 battles

It depends on how high up you are.

Members
198 posts
5,644 battles

Someday... Tier XI ships will arrive........ Several of those will feature Anti-Aircraft Terrier Missile. I suspect the USS Boston (CAG-1) will be the first, as it provides for both guns and anti-air missiles. Early Guided Missile cruisers such as USS Albany (CG-10) may come into the game, but they have purely an anti-aircraft role. I don't ever see Anti-ship missiles coming into the game.

Although, this will force ships and players to work as a team (Carrier battle groups).... I think many players would not really find this enjoyable.

[HINON]
Members
9,059 posts

Apparently they did try some guided missiles with a first person aiming view taking the missile to its target and while it could be fun at times they were either useless or overpowered and declined to add them to the game.

Members
1,788 posts
5,665 battles

The historical window of WW1, and WW2 is the only time these warships met in battle. Modern warships have never fought each other. and guided missile attacks seen to remove the skill out of the game.From the 1950's warships are not designed to fight each other they were geared for AA. the Carrier is the backbone of any modern Navy..

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,725 posts
9,120 battles

Doubtful, that is really a completely new game with over the horizon firing and anti-missile defenses with a hit equaling a kill as even if the ship isn't sunk it will not be able to perform its mission.

Members
1,641 posts
7,482 battles
6 minutes ago, Ben_CA68 said:

Someday... Tier XI ships will arrive

Tell that to WoT.

Tier XI is clearly not going to happen, theres far too many variables that go against the idea.

Members
198 posts
5,644 battles

I think eventually the Tier XI tanks will arrive too.... in the M1 Abrams and other modern day tanks.  I don't see how they could not, the game evolution will require that.... over the next several years.

[LANCE]
Members
316 posts
3,291 battles

I’m sure I remember CV’s having jets in CBT???

No thanks to missles etc ...

[CUTER]
[CUTER]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,624 posts
8,912 battles
24 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Apparently they did try some guided missiles with a first person aiming view taking the missile to its target and while it could be fun at times they were either useless or overpowered and declined to add them to the game.

Yes they did it was going to be the 2nd Russian DD sub line you can see them in the year of the cv video lol at the 2 min mark of this video 

https://youtu.be/o6sSBaW2VSY

Members
198 posts
5,644 battles
28 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

HMS Hood, does have anti-air missiles in game.

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,725 posts
9,120 battles
Just now, Ben_CA68 said:

Incorrect, they are AA rockets. Missiles have guidance where rockets are dumb.

[HINON]
Members
9,059 posts
1 minute ago, Ben_CA68 said:

Anti-air rockets is more precise.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,473 posts
8,148 battles

The rough range of Waraming games is basically WW1-Korea. With ships that were completed or served later on fitting modifications from within this time frame (examples, Iowa class ships only have things they had trough the 40's,maybe 50's, the one French premium cruiser is completed to her original 1942 design, not her 50's/60's completed redesign) with the only possible exception being Belfast that I know of of the top of my head, a late 30's/early 40's ship that uses a refit carried out in the mid 50's through to I think the early 60's, which resulted in the ship we see in game, which still more fits into the game traditionally.

That and tests they carried out - no way in hell are they getting added. Least not any time I'd say in the next 5 years. 

[NNA]
Members
202 posts
5,755 battles

Thanks for the input everyone. I would agree that if they did add missile and jet aircraft tech, it would have to be an additional tier/s, maybe even additional levels. They do have five extra unmarked levels after 15. Most likely though they would have to create a completely separate version.

USS_England_CG-22_Badge.jpg

[OBS]
Members
1,243 posts
9,078 battles

The guided missile era is a completely different game, and necessarily more simulation than arcade.  I can't see it; this game has a hard enough time retaining players as it is.

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,725 posts
9,120 battles
On 7/15/2018 at 5:12 PM, BullHalsey said:

The guided missile era is a completely different game, and necessarily more simulation than arcade.  I can't see it; this game has a hard enough time retaining players as it is.

Actually it might be better suited to arcade style play than the gun ships of our current game. Attacks would probably be pretty simple with the defense being where the skill would come in.

[SVF]
[SVF]
Beta Testers
48 posts
4,078 battles

I don't see them adding CVNs or DDGs to the game. It marks too radical a shift in gameplay, even for early-generation ships like the CG conversions for the Baltimore-class or the Kotlin-class destroyers. Plus, if WG were to implement more recent designs, such as the Kirov or Arleigh Burke, they may run into issues involving classified information. Most games I know involving ships from the Cold War era and beyond, such as Wargame. Harpoon, and Command: Modern Air and Naval Operations are simulators for a reason. It's just unlikely to work out in a more arcade-focused game like this. They can get away with it in tank games because by comparison, an MBT like the M1 Abrams or the T-80 is a far more simple machine than a Charles F. Adams or a Udaloy (not to be confused with the one already in this game). You just point and shoot in a modern tank (for the most part. I'm aware of at least some of the other things that go into modern armored combat), while a modern ship has to deal with vastly-increased range of combat, countermeasures, point-defenses, and many other things.

Beta Testers
1,493 posts
9,002 battles

As others have said, the game is designed to be a WWI - WWII era game.  When they add ships that are slightly beyond that time frame, it is typically only because they are trying to finish out a line where no viable actual ship from the period existed.  In such cases, they typically look to ships that were under construction first then to ships that were at least in the planning stages (the infamous "paper ships") in the time period.

As such, they are not likely to add guided missile cruisers because they don't represent the technology of the era.