You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Driftwood1844

Mogami is a great ship

9 comments in this topic

Members
855 posts
3,580 battles

I really have enjoyed this entire line, it may be my favorite line yet. I have grinded the US, UK, France, the RU line on another account, and the german line on that same account up to the Roon, and I got to say the Jap cruisers I feel like are the best..

lol.jpg

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[INTEL]
Members
6,659 posts
25,692 battles

Mogami is a good ship and I do like the line.

PS: We can do without the racial slur please.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

Members
4,819 posts
5,596 battles

The IJN cruiser line is the one line in the game that's managed to not get power crept, mostly. Only recently would I say that their age is starting to show, and even then they're still very strong ships in the right hands.

[SIDE]
Members
1,247 posts
8,868 battles
1 hour ago, Slumlord_Cheeto said:

I really have enjoyed this entire line, it may be my favorite line yet. I have grinded the US, UK, France, the RU line on another account, and the german line on that same account up to the Roon, and I got to say the Jap cruisers I feel like are the best..

lol.jpg

If you like Mogami, you might also like Helena from the US light cruiser line.

...and the Japanese line can be shortened to IJN. 

[BIER]
Members
126 posts
1,753 battles
1 hour ago, GhostSwordsman said:

The IJN cruiser line is the one line in the game that's managed to not get power crept, mostly. Only recently would I say that their age is starting to show, and even then they're still very strong ships in the right hands.

Well...

IJN cruisers aren't showing power-creep problems the way USN BBs are, but they're still really problematic against the newer lines.

The multiple buffs and changes to Zao have largely solved its problems, but most of the rest of the line still now has issues.

• FurryTaco's change to have the C hull just like the Aoba really, really helped it, and it's still going strong.
  • Aoba, on the other hand, is a basement dweller for stats. It's been seriously overshadowed by pretty much every other T6 cruiser, and now doesn't even have the luxury of being the only T6 CA.  It needs non-trivial buffs.
  • Myoko is in a similar situation as Aoba, where it's now getting overshadowed, let alone all the newer CAs popping up.  It's firestarting capability is still unmatched, but it's *actual* DPM is really bad anymore, as the turret arrangement and rotation speed simply make most guns unavailable to use against anything not a complete newbie (because you can't sail broadside for any length of time and not get erased).   It's big size and terrible maneuverability are also major weaknesses that should be addressed.  Myoko isn't bottom of the pile, but it's not far.
  • The 155mm Mogami is still going strong, now that everyone has figured out how to play it properly. The 203mm Mogami, on the other hand, is virtually non-existent, because it has all the same issues as the Myoko, with no real advantages, and +1 Tier. 
  • The Ibuki still suffers from the insane fragility it always has, and that's getting magnified even more by the better T9 BBs which keep showing up.  It's not in a good place at all, and now even struggles to perform it's "long range firestarter" role anymore. 

So, yeah, the IJN CA line definitely has power creep issues. Not severe, but they are very much there. The fact is that there are a LOT of older players with these ships, and that tends to skew the overall results, masking the problems the line has.  It's the same with IJN DDs - the only ones left playing them are the VERY good and better players, so their stats look OK.

But the reality?  Put an average player in any IJN CA, and they're struggle to replicate the same performance they have any pretty much every other Cruiser line.

• Cool 1

Members
2,128 posts
4,750 battles
On 2018-07-15 at 2:55 PM, LAnybody said:

Well...

IJN cruisers aren't showing power-creep problems the way USN BBs are, but they're still really problematic against the newer lines.

The multiple buffs and changes to Zao have largely solved its problems, but most of the rest of the line still now has issues.

• FurryTaco's change to have the C hull just like the Aoba really, really helped it, and it's still going strong.
  • Aoba, on the other hand, is a basement dweller for stats. It's been seriously overshadowed by pretty much every other T6 cruiser, and now doesn't even have the luxury of being the only T6 CA.  It needs non-trivial buffs.
  • Myoko is in a similar situation as Aoba, where it's now getting overshadowed, let alone all the newer CAs popping up.  It's firestarting capability is still unmatched, but it's *actual* DPM is really bad anymore, as the turret arrangement and rotation speed simply make most guns unavailable to use against anything not a complete newbie (because you can't sail broadside for any length of time and not get erased).   It's big size and terrible maneuverability are also major weaknesses that should be addressed.  Myoko isn't bottom of the pile, but it's not far.
  • The 155mm Mogami is still going strong, now that everyone has figured out how to play it properly. The 203mm Mogami, on the other hand, is virtually non-existent, because it has all the same issues as the Myoko, with no real advantages, and +1 Tier. 
  • The Ibuki still suffers from the insane fragility it always has, and that's getting magnified even more by the better T9 BBs which keep showing up.  It's not in a good place at all, and now even struggles to perform it's "long range firestarter" role anymore. 

So, yeah, the IJN CA line definitely has power creep issues. Not severe, but they are very much there. The fact is that there are a LOT of older players with these ships, and that tends to skew the overall results, masking the problems the line has.  It's the same with IJN DDs - the only ones left playing them are the VERY good and better players, so their stats look OK.

But the reality?  Put an average player in any IJN CA, and they're struggle to replicate the same performance they have any pretty much every other Cruiser line.

I did far worse in the Aoba than the Furutaka, as seen by my abysmal 46.56% solo win rate in the Aoba. Somehow I managed to torture myself and play 451 battles in that ship because I thought I could make it work as a better Furutaka. It's not. Tier for tier Furutaka with C hull is noticeably more powerful. A large number of my Aoba battles were played after changes to matchmaker for Tiers 5 and 6, that made it even worse. Myoko just doesn't click with me. Feels sluggish with the same horrid torpedo angles and the reload's very slow. Abysmal turret traverse. If I want to set the world on fire I'd just play an Atlanta or Helena. If I want to kill cruisers with 203s I'd just go play the USN cruisers that have better auto bounce angles on their AP. If not for my Aoba my overall win rate would easily be 53%+.

Edited by Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

[RFF]
Members
11 posts
3,353 battles

I do love my 155 Mogami but she definitely must have her own dedicated captain. 

The biggest downside is you are just too squishy at her tier and the minute u light up you will be focused by someone with very mean AP that will CIT ur butt in a heartbeat. 

She used to be a tier VII and she was great during those days but with the nerds and tier movement she is a shell of her former glory.