Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Vulgarr

Royal Navy DD preview

5 comments in this topic

[BRZKR]
WoWS Community Contributors
302 posts
6,744 battles

• Cool 3

[HELLS]
Members
1,702 posts
15,518 battles

A very bland line that we will have to work at to master. Good preview. Since I have Gallant and Haida, as well as Gada Maja and Vampire, I already have a pretty good idea of how the line will play. Having Anthony in the Dunkirk scenario mission (Acasta's sister ship) give us a pretty good idea for T5 to T7 play and Vampire gives a pretty good feel for low-tier play. This could be interesting....especially at Tiers 9 and 10 with Minotaur's torpedoes on a DD. Fun fall incoming!

Edited by GrandAdmiral_2016
  • Cool 1

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
16 hours ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

A very bland line that we will have to work at to master. Good preview. Since I have Gallant and Haida, as well as Gada Maja and Vampire, I already have a pretty good idea of how the line will play. Having Anthony in the Dunkirk scenario mission (Acasta's sister ship) give us a pretty good idea for T5 to T7 play and Vampire gives a pretty good feel for low-tier play. This could be interesting....especially at Tiers 9 and 10 with Minotaur's torpedoes on a DD. Fun fall incoming!

I feel very similarly to you regarding this line launch/announcement.

I also have the 4 Destroyers you mentioned in Haida, Gallant, Vampire, and GM. I am REALLY liking how Haida plays, very nice Anti-DD ship, I haven't lost in her yet (4 games hehehe)! BUUUUUUT...

I really really love playing DD here. Not everyone does.The average WoWser is not going to want to work as hard as they will have to work with the RN DD (and most of their variants in game) in order to get results. They will just defer to something else, just the way she goes. Haida is not a DD you buy today and master tomorrow with PWNAGE. It's a low damage grinder. You win Cups with grinders, they are important to every winning team, but it's not a ship that is made for WTFBBQSTOPTHATMADMAN games everytime she leaves the port.

Then, there is this also pushing against RN DD:

I'm dumb. I keep playing DD no matter what we are doing to DD this week down at WGHQ. Not everyone is as dumb as I am, and that's why the RN aren't going to be a big deal. Sure, people will check them out, play them, and then probably relegate the line to one that you grind when there isn't other stuff to grind. 

Almost every aspect of the RN DD requires a bit more advanced game play knowledge: Know how to make snowball arcs work, low utility AP, small guns, LOW HP POOL (opens door for heal, maybe?) Slower, stubby torps, defensive hydro, requires IFHE, no speed boost option, they haven't got a whole lot of forgiving ANYTHING to be brutally honest. It's going to take a lot more skill, just to get the chance to survive long enough for a GG in those ships.

I'm sure I will like the ships just fine if they play similarly to Gallant and Haida, but I'm not most people and I think that will be the biggest obstacle in the line's launch.

Edited by Canadatron
  • Cool 2

[BRZKR]
WoWS Community Contributors
302 posts
6,744 battles

One thing I somehow managed to overlook while I was browsing the stats of these ships was the torpedo reload speed. So for anyone interested it breaks down like this.
Tier 2 is 53 seconds
Tier 3 is 41 seconds
Tier 4 is 62 seconds
Tiers 5 & 6 are 95 seconds
Tier 8 is 106 seconds
Tiers 7, 9 & 10 are 120 seconds

Tier 2 is 53 secon

Edited by Vulgarr
  • Cool 1

Sign in to follow this