You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Radakill

Decisions Decisions

18 comments in this topic

[SC]
Members
31 posts
8,564 battles

After about a year + of saving up I finally hit the 750K free exp mark and was ready to buy the Missouri.. except by that time the Missouri was no longer available. Bummer. 

I thought about the Jap Musashi, but as I was already close to buying a Yammy what was the point? Kron, another option, I was seriously considering until I saw them play out awhile and didnt really like the idea of spending 750K on a ship with such terrible AA and a very low ROF. 

Now, the Nelson actually looks rather tasty as a whole and seems from a stat point to be pretty well rounded for a TVII ship. I love the fact it has all 3 turrets up front and they can all transition the same direction, really neat. Nice HE fire % chance for longer range and if anything the only things I can see that are drawbacks are the speed and the AA. Also, its only 350K, I can make that back in perhaps 4-5 months. 

My only real concern is this: I know as soon as I drop that exp on a ship like this what will happen is WG will come out with the ultimate in bad @$$ premo free exp ships just a few weeks later, and Ill miss my shot at it like I did with the Missouri. 

Of course, on the other hand,if I wait it out, nothing better will present itself and Ill end up regretting never buying the Nelson. 

Right. 

Edited by Radakill

[PVE]
Members
5,636 posts
18,228 battles

I would wait since you don't seem all that thrilled about what is available, and for good reason. Free XP is such a small bit of your earnings and takes a while to accumulate in the amounts they want for those ships. IMHO the amounts they want for the ships is just insulting to average players. I have the MO which I enjoy and the Nelson which is ok but I wish I wouldn't have gotten it. I don't want the Kron as I don't fear it even in my tier 7 or 8 cruisers as it seems pretty pathetic. 

The problem with Free XP is it feels like money burning a hole in your pocket and you have to learn to control using it just like you do with real cash. Be patient and wait for something you really want. 350k or 750k of Free XP is a huge investment considering how much playing it takes to earn that assuming a standard account and no signals. 

[HYDRO]
Members
1,583 posts
3,751 battles

Alaska has been teased, she might be worth the wait if you are interested.

[-TKS-]
Members
303 posts
6,002 battles
5 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

I would wait since you don't seem all that thrilled about what is available, 

that right there. 

[SC]
Members
31 posts
8,564 battles

What I would really like to see them put up there for an exp ship is a nice CV, although I dont know if thats going to happen any time soon, if at all. Alot of their bread and butter comes from premo CV's so they might not be willing to show one up for "free". 

True, waiting would be the smartest play, but then again, the wait could be years before something really worth buying comes along, thats what keeps me up at night. 

If I knew for sure the Nelson would be avail long enough I might feel better about waiting until I have another 300K, then go ahead and buy it. Thats the thing, they dont give a firm time line on how long these free exp ships last. 

Edited by Radakill

[-AH-]
[-AH-]
Members
664 posts
3,394 battles

Given Missouri's popularity, I have a feeling it will be back, in some form.

At least I hope so, I missed out on her to. 

[TBW]
Members
6,410 posts
12,057 battles
2 minutes ago, Radakill said:

True, waiting would be the smartest play, but then again, the wait could be years before something really worth buying comes along, thats what keeps me up at night. 

The Nelson is fun and why wait? Good things are lost, by those who wait. By the way, you have to angle pretty far to get that third gun active. Start training Captains now instead of later. Any new Free XP ships they introduce will be here for a year, I would think.

• Cool 1

[SC]
Members
31 posts
8,564 battles
3 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Any new Free XP ships they introduce will be here for a year, I would think.

Not necessarily,  if its one thing Ive learned from dev groups, if its not in writing, then its very subject to change. These guys make decisions primarily based on marketing and that usually leads to a very mercurial decision making process.  

• Boring 2

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

I think you need to figure out why you want a FXP ship.

You have worked up to an Iron Duke in the line and do reasonably well in it- and have enough exposure at tiers 7-9 make it work out. Nelson is a clear choice since it also offers a nice change from some of the conventional / available tech tree ships and you have a captain worth using it for. You've demonstrated some aptitude at that level with battleships which suggests you enjoy the play style and having reasonably ranged, pretty accurate guns support your slightly above average main battery accuracy. It's a good deal for 350k FXP

If you're looking for a trainer for your Yamato captain (since it appears you have a Yamato now that... well anyway you have a Yamato) then get Musashi. I'm not sure the Yamato play style is what you enjoy and you do not appear to excel at that tier or in that class- one or the other or both.

You currently have 0 reason to get a Kron other than breaking into the the Russian cruiser line at tier 9 when your only exposure to the line is tier 4. I don't think you'll enjoy it and it doesn't look like you think you'll enjoy it.  The only foreseeable FXP ship on the horizon is Alaska which, again, you don't have any US Cruiser experience over tier 4 (corrected- tier 5) so I wouldn't recommend 750k FXP for. 

Frankly, based on the above I'd recommend a Nelson. It's an enjoyable ship with an interesting play style that I think you could excel in. 

Edited by _ENO_

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,677 posts
9,071 battles
30 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

The Nelson is fun and why wait? Good things are lost, by those who wait. By the way, you have to angle pretty far to get that third gun active. Start training Captains now instead of later. Any new Free XP ships they introduce will be here for a year, I would think.

This, and it only uses part of the 750K+ you have. It is a heck of a lot easier to use the Nelson's third turret than Izumo's.

[SC]
Members
31 posts
8,564 battles
1 hour ago, warheart1992 said:

Alaska has been teased, she might be worth the wait if you are interested.

I looked at the Alaska stats and wasnt very impressed TBH. Seems more of a USA version of the Kron as most of the numbers are pretty close, its another BB/CA hybrid with terrible ROF. 

And for me at least, ROF is what a CA is all about. 

[SC]
Members
31 posts
8,564 battles
36 minutes ago, _ENO_ said:

I think you need to figure out why you want a FXP ship.

You have worked up to an Iron Duke in the line and do reasonably well in it- and have enough exposure at tiers 7-9 make it work out. Nelson is a clear choice since it also offers a nice change from some of the conventional / available tech tree ships and you have a captain worth using it for. You've demonstrated some aptitude at that level with battleships which suggests you enjoy the play style and having reasonably ranged, pretty accurate guns support your slightly above average main battery accuracy. It's a good deal for 350k FXP

If you're looking for a trainer for your Yamato captain (since it appears you have a Yamato now that... well anyway you have a Yamato) then get Musashi. I'm not sure the Yamato play style is what you enjoy and you do not appear to excel at that tier or in that class- one or the other or both.

You currently have 0 reason to get a Kron other than breaking into the the Russian cruiser line at tier 9 when your only exposure to the line is tier 4. I don't think you'll enjoy it and it doesn't look like you think you'll enjoy it.  The only foreseeable FXP ship on the horizon is Alaska which, again, you don't have any US Cruiser experience over tier 4 so I wouldn't recommend 750k FXP for. 

Frankly, based on the above I'd recommend a Nelson. It's an enjoyable ship with an interesting play style that I think you could excel in. 

You make some good points and pretty interesting feedback, thank you. 

Only thing of note, I am just a few hundred exp away from a Buffalo now, not sure if the stat page you were looking at just didnt show it, but its no biggie in any case. I think your right and I will probably try the Nelson out and see how it plays. I need a good Mid Tier money maker premo anyway and that may be one that fits the bill. 

Of course, if they surprise us all with a FXP CV in the next few months, I may also just crack. 

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
4 minutes ago, Radakill said:

Only thing of note, I am just a few hundred exp away from a Buffalo now, not sure if the stat page you were looking at just didnt show it, but its no biggie in any case. 

No you're right- I overlooked some of your experience there and it is listed- but like you said it doesn't change the overall analysis. 

You may or may not already have this but HERE is where I was looking.

Good luck in your decision.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
1 hour ago, Radakill said:

After about a year + of saving up I finally hit the 750K free exp mark and was ready to buy the Missouri.. except by that time the Missouri was no longer available. Bummer. 

I thought about the Jap Musashi, but as I was already close to buying a Yammy what was the point? Kron, another option, I was seriously considering until I saw them play out awhile and didnt really like the idea of spending 750K on a ship with such terrible AA and a very low ROF. 

Now, the Nelson actually looks rather tasty as a whole and seems from a stat point to be pretty well rounded for a TVII ship. I love the fact it has all 3 turrets up front and they can all transition the same direction, really neat. Nice HE fire % chance for longer range and if anything the only things I can see that are drawbacks are the speed and the AA. Also, its only 350K, I can make that back in perhaps 4-5 months. 

My only real concern is this: I know as soon as I drop that exp on a ship like this what will happen is WG will come out with the ultimate in bad @$$ premo free exp ships just a few weeks later, and Ill miss my shot at it like I did with the Missouri. 

Of course, on the other hand,if I wait it out, nothing better will present itself and Ill end up regretting never buying the Nelson. 

Right. 

You set your Goal of getting the Big Mo....WG Pulled it {for how long is anybodies guess} 

If I was in your Position I would wait out the Big Mo.... Continue to save your FXP while adding to the kitty.

Just my opinion

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,328 posts
6,609 battles

I would hold back for now. WG is unlikely to pull a Free XP ship from the stores over night, they gave two or three months warning in advance for Missouri. So just wait for now until something comes that you consider a better choice.

[PVE]
Members
5,636 posts
18,228 battles
16 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

You set your Goal of getting the Big Mo....WG Pulled it {for how long is anybodies guess} 

If I was in your Position I would wait out the Big Mo.... Continue to save your FXP while adding to the kitty.

Just my opinion

I agree with Clutch, you never know what they are going to do. Maybe keep a 750k balance as a "just in case they release something you really want" insurance and then spend anything over that amount on stuff you just kind of want. I know that it is tough but like I said, treat Free XP as money, don't fall into temptation for something you may be disappointed with. 

[LOU1]
Members
3,058 posts
8,140 battles

Holding onto the Free XP does entail an "opportunity cost."  If the OP were to get a Nelson (or one of the other Free XP ships) now, he would be getting the Commander training, XP, and credit earnings now.  He would also be able to use the ship to help re-earn the credits.  In my case, I was struggling to get the 750k for MO when I accidentally selecting the wrong payment method during a respec sale and went from 275k to 50k.  I knew I would never make it to 750k as a potato (<42% WR at that time.)  I finally got to the 750k and hesitated on the MO.  Primarily because I dislike BB play and also I did not have over a T5 USN BB.  Anyway, I got the MO and played it when I need to grind credits (was mainly PvE due to compassion for potential PvP teammates).  It also gave me enough survivability to start learning the high tier meta.  A point that has not been mentioned is that the Free XP ships have reduced PvE costs and still earn decently (150k - 300k range) even in a bad PvE battle.

After getting the first Free XP ship, the others seem to come more easily.  I have the MO, Nelson and, Kronstadt.  Just got the Kron a couple of weeks ago and am back up to a bit over 100k Free XP for the Alaska (or maybe Musashi).  There will be some buyer's remorse, but the ship will earn credits, train Commanders and, allow practice at higher tiers.

Tough decision, I have been through it three times now...

Fair winds and following sea...