Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
USSRichardNixon

Can we remove torp from Soviet cruiser to make it faster?

19 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Members
9,046 posts

Sure, then my USN cruisers don't have as much to fear brawling one muwhahaha.

• Cool 2

Members
672 posts
2,201 battles
40 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Sure, then my USN cruisers don't have as much to fear brawling one muwhahaha.

Heck with that, send them on over to us USN Cruisers, we'll take 'em off your hands.

• Cool 1

[DRED]
Alpha Tester
600 posts
4,349 battles

Torps and their launchers don't weigh that much. At most a couple tons but wouldn't improve speed as ships were 1,000s of tons.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,497 posts
3,435 battles

If WG removed the torpedo launchers, they would just be replaced by AA. They wouldn't suddenly gain any speed increase, unless you meant trading torpedoes for say, a weaker speed boost consumable.

As a BB player, I say go ahead; it makes rushing them easier. But as one who also plays cruisers, I say no, for that exact same reason.

[WFR]
Members
433 posts
1 hour ago, USSRichardNixon said:

Torp on Soviet cruisers are totally useless. 

It would be nice to remove torp and to increase speed.

im actually really reliant on soviet short range shotgun power. and do not agree with you at all.

Members
712 posts
9,924 battles

Dude you can't make Cruisers "go faster".  If historically it went 36kts, then it will be 36kts in game, base.  Speed Boost is a different story but still even then on Cruisers already designed to go fast, that's just not cool.

[TDRB]
Members
1,116 posts
4,238 battles
2 hours ago, USSRichardNixon said:

Torp on Soviet cruisers are totally useless. 

It would be nice to remove torp and to increase speed.

When did torpedoes or Russian cruisers become totally useless?

Members
448 posts
7,474 battles
34 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

When did torpedoes or Russian cruisers become totally useless?

Not totally useless, but not exactly a regularly used weapon system either. 4km torp range on ships that are soft, not particularly agile, have poor concealment, and function as excellent snipers and kiters but substandard brawlers. I have hundreds of games in Soviet cruisers and can probably count the amount of torp hits I have scored on one hand.

That said it's still a good line and no changes are needed, OPs proposal is a non-starter.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

What I read is not the weight to speed reality.

I see a gamer wanting to change the ship parameters to more fiction/fantasy.

You guys are right the weight of torpedos and the launchers is insignificant.

The engines and shape of the ship and over all weight determine Speed in reality.

But the OP see's the Fiction/Fantasy in WoWs with close but not accurate Physics.

His Asking for a trade off is fair because of this.

I don't agree with his reasons but his right to ask is not diminished.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,497 posts
3,435 battles
41 minutes ago, Airglide2 said:

Dude you can't make Cruisers "go faster".  If historically it went 36kts, then it will be 36kts in game, base.  Speed Boost is a different story but still even then on Cruisers already designed to go fast, that's just not cool.

There's a bit of bending when it comes to VMF ships though, as far as speeds in real life/paper vs speeds in-game. See Khab vs Shima on what WG used for arbitrary speed limits (one was give 10kt more than her paper study, the other can't even reach the full speed she had w/o Speed Flags or Speed Boost).

I'm looking forward to what they'll do with Le Fantasque.

Members
712 posts
9,924 battles
5 minutes ago, YamatoA150 said:

There's a bit of bending when it comes to VMF ships though, as far as speeds in real life/paper vs speeds in-game. See Khab vs Shima on what WG used for arbitrary speed limits (one was give 10kt more than her paper study, the other can't even reach the full speed she had w/o Speed Flags or Speed Boost).

No no no no, lol, sorry I should have put the word, "Generally" in there somewhere, but I am trying to align myself with the fundamentals of this game.  Sometimes they base it on real life but over embellish what "makes sense", for example, trail speed, speed fully loaded, and speed loaded lightly.  I still hold a grudge against WG for fudging the Speeds on Bayern, Nelson, Normadie and Lyon fake asss bows, etc. etc. because of the community, BAH!

Anyhow, no, I don't like to fudge the speed numbers more than it needs to when it comes to speed and giving the Russian Cruisers more speed is just going to create more problems than solutions.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,497 posts
3,435 battles
Just now, Airglide2 said:

Anyhow, no, I don't like to fudge the speed numbers more than it needs to when it comes to speed and giving the Russian Cruisers more speed is just going to create more problems than solutions.

Dmitri and Moskva going 40kt plskthnxbai!

Members
712 posts
9,924 battles
6 minutes ago, YamatoA150 said:

Dmitri and Moskva going 40kt plskthnxbai!

For Moskva at least put in the "reverse" since it's mostly bow tanking.

Beta Testers
341 posts
2,096 battles
38 minutes ago, YamatoA150 said:

She'll get her 37kts post-refit speed. This is WG and only Russian ships get low-weight trial speeds and napkin drawing fantasy numbers.

Completely serious. Le Fantsaque only went 45 knots on low-weight trials so shes obviously not going to get those speeds since she ain't Russian. It'll either be 40kt pre-refit nominal speed or 37kt post-refit speed.

Edited by Phaere

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,497 posts
3,435 battles
8 minutes ago, Phaere said:

She'll get her 37kts post-refit speed. This is WG and only Russian ships get low-weight trial speeds and napkin drawing fantasy numbers.

Completely serious. Le Fantsaque only went 45 knots on low-weight trials so shes obviously not going to get those speeds since she ain't Russian. It'll either be 40kt pre-refit nominal speed or 37kt post-refit speed.

More than likely this is what will happen.

The alternative is she gets 45kt speed, but no Speed Boost consumable. But that would ruin Khab somehow (not really; she still has more armor than some CLs), and we can't have that happening.

But if by some miraculous means she does get at least 40kt to meet halfway and still be inferior to Khab's speed, then it's just them hating on Shimakaze (and Kitakaze to a much smaller extent; her design speed was about 36.7-36.8 kt, but they're only giving her 36kt even).

[TDRB]
Members
1,116 posts
4,238 battles
8 hours ago, Dr_Powderfinger said:

Not totally useless, but not exactly a regularly used weapon system either. 4km torp range on ships that are soft, not particularly agile, have poor concealment, and function as excellent snipers and kiters but substandard brawlers. I have hundreds of games in Soviet cruisers and can probably count the amount of torp hits I have scored on one hand.

That said it's still a good line and no changes are needed, OPs proposal is a non-starter.

Russian Torpedoes on cruisers are situational at best but the OP said totally worthless, which I questioned. Rarely do I find myself close enough to use them when I drive my Molotov. I did not think my question would be viewed as implying they were good.

Sign in to follow this