You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
gillhunter

Is the Worchester worth the grind?

18 comments in this topic

[CIAO]
[CIAO]
Members
379 posts
18,331 battles

I am grinding the Cleveland right now to the Seattle, with the goal of getting a Worcester. The Cleveland grind is fine. I have not seen too many positive remarks about the Seattle. Is the Worcester worth the grind through her?

And what is your opinion of the Seattle? Is she a keeper?

• Cool 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,044 posts
21 minutes ago, gillhunter said:

I am grinding the Cleveland right now to the Seattle, with the goal of getting a Worcester. The Cleveland grind is fine. I have not seen too many positive remarks about the Seattle. Is the Worcester worth the grind through her?

It can be do you have Atlanta and do you do well with her?   If you do well the Worcester is a Tier 10  Atlanta  Good luck in whatever path you take,   One piece advice  with any of the  CL's  find something to hide beside or behind because if your caught in the open by anything from a BB  to a   CA  your done for in short order they like the Pepsi  are floating Citadels  PS  as the poster below me said  IFHE  is a must so is Concealment Expert  and no from everything I've seen n heard Seattle  is NOT a keeper  :Smile_sad:  Glad I  FreeExped  past her

Edited by shadowsrmine

[AWP]
Members
782 posts
3,017 battles
11 minutes ago, gillhunter said:

I haven’t played the Seattle but I will say that a good many forum complaints on it come from people who do not have IFHE. I’m not saying it isn’t a meh ship but I can’t really see it being terrible if you have a good captain and awareness. I think it’ll be worth the grind when I finish all my current lines.

• Cool 1

Members
239 posts
12,373 battles
12 hours ago, gillhunter said:

The new Line of American Light Cruisers all play like the Atlanta which has been around for a few years ... play them all like this ... just add IFHE to Captain Skills :)

Yuro makes funny videos that are also good advice :)

Edited by BigJohnsonLogan

[ADR]
Members
4,314 posts
13,364 battles

Is the Worcester worth the grind.   You better get it soon,  this ship is totally going to get Nerfed.

• Boring 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,044 posts
1 hour ago, Shadowrigger1 said:

Is the Worcester worth the grind.   You better get it soon,  this ship is totally going to get Nerfed.

Then there had Better Be a Bunch  Of Ship's Getting Nerfed Right Along With Her  Or Else There Will No Balance 

[ADR]
Members
4,314 posts
13,364 battles
9 hours ago, shadowsrmine said:

Then there had Better Be a Bunch  Of Ship's Getting Nerfed Right Along With Her  Or Else There Will No Balance 

I love this ship.. it's going to get a nerf hammer . I can feel it. the HE Rain  .. AKA  Metor Shower...  is insanely powerful, all atop a ship that can be a bit tanky for most of the potatoes in the game to handle.

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,044 posts
17 minutes ago, Shadowrigger1 said:

I love this ship.. it's going to get a nerf hammer . I can feel it. the HE Rain  .. AKA  Metor Shower...  is insanely powerful, all atop a ship that can be a bit tanky for most of the potatoes in the game to handle.

Tanky?  You HAVE Got to be  kidding!:Smile_facepalm:  The Atlanta  is less squishy than she is

[ADR]
Members
4,314 posts
13,364 battles
2 hours ago, shadowsrmine said:

Tanky?  You HAVE Got to be  kidding!:Smile_facepalm:  The Atlanta  is less squishy than she is

if you say so..  to those who don't know how to angle, you will get rekt..  to those who don't know where to aim,  they will find it tanky.     I have both experiences.  in the open and rekt, in the open and laughing as I charged BBs down 

And just a quick cursory look.. I can see why you are saying what you are saying...

Edited by Shadowrigger1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,121 posts
14,519 battles

Worcester can hold her own in taking gunfire from Cruisers, Destroyers just fine, up to a certain point.  She doesn't have that many HPs.  Proper angling, positioning will mitigate the worst of DD / Cruiser gunfire.

The real danger are Battleships.  25mm armor at best, even the deck, bow, etc, means that every High Tier BB that USN CLs encounter can overmatch their armor regardless of angle.  Even 380mm armed BBs punch right through for penetrations.

Let's not even talk about what 406mm+ armed Battleships will do.

This is why USN CLs are very poor open water combatants, especially High Tier.  Even mere 27mm armor that some other CAs have in parts of their armor can save them from 380mm guns.  A few CAs have 30mm decks.  25mm simply can't stop any of the High Tier BB shells and you'll be eating pens at the very least from every hit you take.

Now.  If you've been toiling away on your VIII Cleveland and have done alright in surviving, then you already know what you have to do to survive, as Cleveland has the same armor plating as Worcester.  But it has to be stressed, when Worcester gets spotted, EVERYONE will try to shoot at you.  People shoot at her with high priority the same way a spotted Minotaur, Neptune, Pensacola are treated.  People will drop whatever the f--k they were doing and take shots at you, expecting to get rewarded well for any hits they make on you.  I sh*t you not.  BBs will ignore some better protected CA that is only 10km away from them, but if your Worcester is spotted at 15km, they will go for Worcester.  Hell, they'll happily take 17km shots at you.  1 lucky BB salvo will F--K YOU UP.

Offensively, Worcester is superior simply due to the fast firing 152mm guns.  It's just like Atlanta and you can literally walk your shells while holding LMB down the entire time.  Once you got the proper leads on a target, they will not be a happy person.  Like Minotaur, both her and Worcester make people pay quickly for being out of position.

Worcester is also freaking amazing in dealing with DDs, in the proper circumstances.  If enemy Cruisers, Battleships aren't around to threaten you, you are literally free to find DDs and give them hell.  Worcester isn't that fast but she's stealthy.  With Full Stealth Build her Radar has longer range than her own detection range.  Simply put, you sail along until someone detects you, then you pop Radar to find out where they are, and give the DD hell.  I've intercepted Shimakazes, Gearings, Z-52s, even Khabarovsk with Worcester like this in open water.  You just show up to them at around 9.7km, pop Radar on them, then hit them nonstop with HE.  Even Khab hates this sh*t.  With the Stealth, you don't engage Khab at long range where she excels.  Push to make it spot you at <10km range and make it a dirty fight in a dark alley way with a short ranged fight where your hail of 152mm shells will not miss.

Tip:  Don't shoot at Khab's hull sides, she has some 50mm plate there.  Aim at the big superstructure area and get nonstop pens.

Of course, this doesn't work if the DD has Cruisers and Battleships in the area to help them.  But I found opportunities to still do this.  Mind you, I did the same thing with Cleveland with her 9.1km detection and 9.0km Radar.  Worcester does the same but her fast firing guns really work DDs over.  Even Cleveland can miss a DD at 9km, but Worcester basically keeps the trigger pulled on the minigun, walks the shells to the target, and shoots until the DD is dead.

The AA, if you run into CVs, is LOL-worthy.  Lord help the CV if it's a Tier VIII CV.  Great AA DPs, 8.6km max range, and Defensive Fire access.  There is no AA in the game that can touch Worcester's.  Minotaur with Full AA Build to include Manual AA is very powerful also, and can reach out to the same range, but she lacks Defensive Fire.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
87 posts
4,061 battles
On 7/15/2018 at 10:46 AM, shadowsrmine said:

It can be do you have Atlanta and do you do well with her?   If you do well the Worcester is a Tier 10  Atlanta  Good luck in whatever path you take,   One piece advice  with any of the  CL's  find something to hide beside or behind because if your caught in the open by anything from a BB  to a   CA  your done for in short order they like the Pepsi  are floating Citadels  PS  as the poster below me said  IFHE  is a must so is Concealment Expert  and no from everything I've seen n heard Seattle  is NOT a keeper  :Smile_sad:  Glad I  FreeExped  past her

I never particularly liked the "high tier atlanta" analogy. The defining difference between the two ships IMO is the ability for Worcester to instantly pop radar once detected and murder whatever dd spotted you. This tactic is the foundation of my strategy with this ship and a tactic which cannot be utilized in the atlanta. I relate better to describing it as a tier 10 cleveland with absurd AA and DPM. I have never been able to get the atlanta to work well for me, but my Worcester is singing with a 58% WR and 105,000 average.

Edited by neworleanssaintsfan
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
218 posts
5,301 battles

The Seattle has noticeably worse turret angles than the Seattle. Worse enough that it bothered me where I don't think the Seattle's t9 heal offsets the nerf to the turret angles over the Cleveland. I sold my Seattle the moment I got the Worcester unlocked. She's not a keeper, imo. 

The Worcester, however, is a keeper. I may prefer the Worcester to the Des Moines now, and I love playing the Des Moines. I am definitely gonna perma-camo my Worcester when I get the doubloons for it.

I also don't think the T10 Atlanta comparison isn't the best. To me the Worcester feels like a Super-Cleveland with her better DPM, better max range (16.7km vs 15.7km), a heal, and AA that doesn't really need DFAA but gets it anyways.

[SWNG]
Beta Testers
83 posts
3,576 battles

It is well worth the grind. As others have mentioned, the previous ships of the line are a bag of mixed reviews based on varying play styles. Though I admittedly also compared her to an Atlanta in another post, that analogy was simply based on the volume of fire and the typical high arcs of the shells associated with the US line. She is indeed one of my more fun ships, as she's a high priority target to be sunk or avoided by other team. That's a powerful statement for any ship to make.

Admittedly, I also still struggle with mine, stat wise, she's just really a fun ship to have at high tier. You will not regret the grind. Just use the grind to figure out the mechanics of lobbing shells over islands to engage other island huggers and totally demolish DD's when you become detected, using a rather longish 40 second radar module. Just don't forget to also use your hydro as torps are most likely inbound. 

[DOG]
Members
437 posts
5,762 battles

Just finished grinding Dallas, which was not a bad grind.  Only two games in Helena so far, but I think I might keep it.  I kept forgetting about the 5th turret until I saw something green and ready to fire.  I had Cleveland at tier VI, and I'm still grinding toward Seattle.  Cleveland's not bad, and Seattle looks like it's more or less the same ship, but with more hit points and repair party.  I'll probable sell both Cleveland and Seattle when I get Worcester.  I don't know how much play it will get, since I'm also grinding British CLs (up to Fiji so far), and Minotaur looks like it will be more fun than Worcester.  Sure, no fires from HE, but smoke (if I want to forego radar) and decent torpedoes.

[-SD]
[-SD]
Members
4 posts
5,433 battles

I am upgrading my wooooster. I have a 19 point commander, unique countermeasure upgrade, special radar upgrade (52.8 sec action time), 4 sec reload...... well you get the picture.

Well to insure my crew's morale stays high, I have added a tennis court that moves to reveal a swimming pool and shuffleboard courts. There is plenty of seating as you can see so stop over sometime to play some tennis or shuffleboard or take a dip in the pool. Refreshments can be bought for nominal fee.                                         woooster.thumb.png.576946f8724b343fe5763ac0601dd784.png

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[PT8TO]
Members
1,410 posts
13,278 battles

Yes it is  and honestly I would not call it a light cruiser.

by definition it is but to me it is someplace between light and heavy.

It is not as squishy as some might say  and It reminds me more of a Des but with smaller guns and slightly thinner bow armor.

The lower Citadel helps some as well

Edited by GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND

Members
239 posts
12,373 battles
On 7/15/2018 at 11:33 AM, gillhunter said:

Cleveland at Tier 8 is a good cruiser, Seattle at Tier 9 is not a keeper because of limited firing arcs, Worcester at Tier X makes the Minotaur look like a smoke humping chump ...

Edited by BigJohnsonLogan
  • Cool 1