Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
gillhunter

Neptune Vs. Minotaur

14 comments in this topic

[CIAO]
[CIAO]
Members
379 posts
18,293 battles

The Neptune and Minotaur have almost the same armor scheme. Minotaur has 1mm less on armor belt. Yet to me the Minotaur is a lot more fragile than the Neptune. Is it just me or does anyone else have the same experience?

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

Minotaur captains tend to be a lot more aggressive in the ship, than Neptune captains.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
6,659 posts
25,692 battles

Minotaur do tend to be more aggressive. Also they encounter T10 opponents all the time, while Neptune may get a bit luckier (seldom though).

• Cool 1

[CIAO]
[CIAO]
Members
379 posts
18,293 battles

You both could be right. I put my Neptune captain in my Minotaur so i haven't played her in a while. Maybe I'm being too aggressive. I'll try backing off a bit and see how it works out. I think the Minotaur may get focused more than the Neptune also.

• Cool 1

[SF-A]
Members
2,893 posts
5,682 battles

Good thoughts all around. Being more aggressive, seeing bigger guns, and being perceived as a bigger threat combine to make Minotaur practically a more fragile ship.

[BIER]
Members
126 posts
1,788 battles

Honestly, the Neptune is FAR more squishy than the Minotaur, despite having almost identical armor.

Why, do you ask?  Because the Neptune is the size of a Suburban SUV, turns like one, and has the concealment of one, while the Minotaur is more like a Honda Civic.

The large gain in smaller size (with lower detection) and better maneuverability means the Mino is far harder to hit, and while the Neptune has the luxury of very occasionally seeing T7 ships, the mix of opponents a Mino and Nept see is 90% the same.

If you're playing the Mino just like the Neptune, I can't see a good reason why you should feel that it's more vulnerable - everything the Neptune does, the Mino does better.  In fact, I find playing the Mino like the Fiji or Edinburgh is the best style, whereas the Neptune's much more passive playstyle (enforced by it's detection and size limitations) is less fun and less productive.

[AAA]
Members
427 posts
5,422 battles

I plan to use my Neptune as an AA bote for div with cv. 

Its the 3rd I. A row of basically the same ship albeit with faster reloads and very large size. 

Will xp past and buy later for the afore mentioned cv screen

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,059 posts
14,457 battles

Minotaurs play very high risk, high reward styles of games.  With their concealment range, lots more options open up, but it often involves considerable risk.

Neptune has the most concealment of High Tier RN CLs, and because of this, she stands off a lot more.

There are guys that go "All-In" with the high risk, high reward of Minotaur by dropping smoke and installing radar instead.  It's a valid choice considering the gap between her radar and concealment range is even greater than Worcester's, and will seriously surprise a number of people, but it has greater risk than even Smoke Minotaur.  Neptune just doesn't have the concealment to do crazy things like this.

[AAA]
Members
427 posts
5,422 battles
On 7/21/2018 at 2:56 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Minotaurs play very high risk, high reward styles of games.  With their concealment range, lots more options open up, but it often involves considerable risk.

Neptune has the most concealment of High Tier RN CLs, and because of this, she stands off a lot more.

There are guys that go "All-In" with the high risk, high reward of Minotaur by dropping smoke and installing radar instead.  It's a valid choice considering the gap between her radar and concealment range is even greater than Worcester's, and will seriously surprise a number of people, but it has greater risk than even Smoke Minotaur.  Neptune just doesn't have the concealment to do crazy things like this.

I run the Ed with Radar, and I surprise DDs all the time. Great DD support ship.

Unleashed the Kraken in her today with 3 of the kills being DD.

Hardest part of the this line past t7 is knowing when to push and when to use concealment and stalk. Of course DD's will ruin that sometimes and your in it deep.

Edited by wstugamd

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,059 posts
14,457 battles
On 8/20/2018 at 7:21 PM, wstugamd said:

I run the Ed with Radar, and I surprise DDs all the time. Great DD support ship.

Unleashed the Kraken in her today with 3 of the kills being DD.

Hardest part of the this line past t7 is knowing when to push and when to use concealment and stalk. Of course DD's will ruin that sometimes and your in it deep.

If you like the Radar RN CL gameplay, wait until you get to Minotaur.

8.9km detection range, Stealth Build Minotaur.  9.9km Radar range.  If you play the Anti-DD game like Worcester, if you run for an isolated DD and they spot you, they are already 1km deep into your Radar range.  This is deeper than even Worcester's 0.4km distance (9.5km Stealth Build detection range, same 9.9km Radar range), and Minotaur's RN CL AP is extremely deadly to Destroyers.  You just have to be careful with Minotaur's citadel.  Minotaur has the Mega Heal that Edinburgh lacks, but Edinburgh does not eat major citadel damage if people catch her the way they do Minotaur.

Did you miss the amount of torpedoes Emerald had?  You get the large torpedo count again starting with Neptune and into Minotaur.  More importantly, they are 10km range torps.  Neptune has to be more sly about using her torps since her concealment doesn't support stealth torping.  But Minotaur can stealth torp due to the 1.1km concealment - torpedo range gap she has.

Minotaur gives you all kinds of ridiculous tools for a savvy player, but that massive citadel keeps you honest.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[AAA]
Members
427 posts
5,422 battles
9 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

If you like the Radar RN CL gameplay, wait until you get to Minotaur.

8.9km detection range, Stealth Build Minotaur.  9.9km Radar range.  If you play the Anti-DD game like Worcester, if you run for an isolated DD and they spot you, they are already 1km deep into your Radar range.  This is deeper than even Worcester's 0.4km distance (9.5km Stealth Build detection range, same 9.9km Radar range), and Minotaur's RN CL AP is extremely deadly to Destroyers.  You just have to be careful with Minotaur's citadel.  Minotaur has the Mega Heal that Edinburgh lacks, but Edinburgh does not eat major citadel damage if people catch her the way they do Minotaur.

Did you miss the amount of torpedoes Emerald had?  You get the large torpedo count again starting with Neptune and into Minotaur.  More importantly, they are 10km range torps.  Neptune has to be more sly about using her torps since her concealment doesn't support stealth torping.  But Minotaur can stealth torp due to the 1.1km concealment - torpedo range gap she has.

Minotaur gives you all kinds of ridiculous tools for a savvy player, but that massive citadel keeps you honest.

Just got the mino. Like you said above I plan to use it as a dd. Screening and torping and dealing with dds that get to close 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,059 posts
14,457 battles
On 8/26/2018 at 8:29 AM, wstugamd said:

Just got the mino. Like you said above I plan to use it as a dd. Screening and torping and dealing with dds that get to close 

I've never done Radar Mino myself, but have Division mates that do.  I've been slowly seeing a few more of these types where in the past, they were non-existent.

[KRAK]
Members
1,188 posts
13,600 battles
On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 2:56 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Mino can be taken down to 8.9 km detect with CE and stealth module and radar range is 9.9 km.  Mino has the most concealment not Neptune.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,059 posts
14,457 battles
16 minutes ago, Vaffu said:

Mino can be taken down to 8.9 km detect with CE and stealth module and radar range is 9.9 km.  Mino has the most concealment not Neptune.

When I said, "Neptune has the most concealment of High Tier RN CLs" that's what I meant.  Her concealment is bad compared to Edinburgh before her and Minotaur after her.  It limits what you can do with her without getting spotted easily.  Of the High Tier RN CLs, she is the odd one in terms of concealment.

Sign in to follow this