You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Premium Time and Ship Grinds - a random thought.

10 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
6,316 posts
4,264 battles

The benefits of premium time are undoubted: faster grinds, affordable high tier play, more rapid captain training.

For me, however, I'm not sure I don't recognise a downside. Speeding through a ship in search of the desirable one above it is all very well, but for some of us (*raises hand*) rushing through costs us experience and ship-time that reach valuable lessons when moving up the line, and one potentially pays for it big-time later.

If you want a slowdown in progression there is, of course, co-op... but co-op has issues in terms of the way bots react to torpedoes, not at all like Random play, even if bots otherwise played like human beings (which they definitely do not). [This is not co-op bashing, just a recognition of the fact that torpedo strategies in the two modes are radically different.]

And yes, there are ships I want further up the line, some of them rather badly... but for me, moderation is good. I think I will quite enjoy my current lot of grinds, now that the Indy Marathon is over and I'm not so results-driven on a game-by-game basis.

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,868 posts
12,620 battles

Premium times value is what you make it I like the increased earnings and quicker progress up the tech tree I also do not see that it hinders ones effort to gain experience premium or not if you don't figure out the best use for the ship you are on in say less than 100 battles in it then it makes no difference if you use premium time or not. Premium time is not that expensive and if those who can were to quit buying it then we can kiss the game goodbye.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,316 posts
4,264 battles
2 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

Premium time is not that expensive and if those who can were to quit buying it then we can kiss the game goodbye.

My post was by no means an argument against premium time per se; I'm on the cusp of pushing the button for a year of it. I did make it quite clear that the post was all about my particular requirements, but I guess there's nothing to be lost by just staying in a particular ship longer (something which my current dearth of port slots makes sort of necessary anyway).

Speaking of which, I have now ground the Omaha twice (once for the T6 Cleveland, once for the Dallas) and the Fiji twice (I have more XP on her now than I needed to unlock the Edinburgh), and somehow have 50K XP on the Pensacola despite getting the NO in port when the Split happened. I think a ship which makes for a bad grind can become enjoyable when the next-tier ship is unlocked and play in the lower tier ship is no longer a necessity.

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,868 posts
12,620 battles

@Ensign_Cthulhu oh yea that US cruiser split deal I stopped at the Omaha long ago but at a friends urging I free XPd for all the rest to fill out the US cruiser tree and am having a wonderful time with all from tier 6 to 10!

[ARGSY]
Members
6,316 posts
4,264 battles
15 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

stopped at the Omaha long ago

I free XP'd the last couple thousand to get Dallas - she was much more eXP-ensive than anyone had expected - but that was because what I thought was going to be my last Omaha game was in randoms with 130K damage given with none taken - the perfect Omaha battle - and taking her out again into what was bound to be nowhere near as good seemed like an insult.

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,868 posts
12,620 battles

@Ensign_Cthulhu well I had 525 million credits, a million + Free XP saved up and sufficient doubloons to convert more ship XP to Free XP if needed.  All of those are still sufficiently banked to start adding to the British, IJN, German and Russian lines that I did not pursue in favor of the US BB line. Oh I also used these to get the US CVs tiers 6 through 8 even though I am no good in them other than co op or these new scenarios. Well time to get back to the fray. 

Members
1,459 posts
12,332 battles

My premium time has just lapsed, received six month through X-mas crates - and now just a "standard" player.  A this point have grinded all but the end of the American light cruiser line - have about 40K left on the Cleveland and will save up free exp - and exp past the Seattle some time in the future (no hurry).  I have 225 million credits, and without the need to grind credits or exp - will not renew my premium - going for buy a day or two of premium when I can play more or for some event.  I do think it is one of the better things to get when you are heavy into the grind - credit, exp and captains exp helped make some of the longer grinds more pleasant and especially the credit chasing that you do when you are moving up quickly.  Still a bit shocking to see the post battle stats and the lowering of the earning without premium time - especially at tier 10 without perm camo...

Edited by Panzer1113
  • Cool 1

[HYDRO]
Members
1,575 posts
3,751 battles

You can't be generalizing over this imo OP. Getting accustomed to ships is judged on a player to player basis. Having good knowledge of the mechanics can really reduce this time combined with experience. Of course, if talking about first grinds and few games in class/game  makes this a different case. 

I find getting accustomed to the different habits of MM depending on tiers to be a more difficult task.

[FOXEH]
Members
3,359 posts
12,148 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

My post was by no means an argument against premium time per se; I'm on the cusp of pushing the button for a year of it. I did make it quite clear that the post was all about my particular requirements, but I guess there's nothing to be lost by just staying in a particular ship longer (something which my current dearth of port slots makes sort of necessary anyway).

Speaking of which, I have now ground the Omaha twice (once for the T6 Cleveland, once for the Dallas) and the Fiji twice (I have more XP on her now than I needed to unlock the Edinburgh), and somehow have 50K XP on the Pensacola despite getting the NO in port when the Split happened. I think a ship which makes for a bad grind can become enjoyable when the next-tier ship is unlocked and play in the lower tier ship is no longer a necessity.

Buy that premium time today and get free doubloons. I've been on premium time now for two years. Nothing wrong making a grind go quicker. I grind out 19 point captains more than ship lines now.

[INTEL]
Members
6,662 posts
25,746 battles
17 minutes ago, Khafni said:

Buy that premium time today and get free doubloons. I've been on premium time now for two years. Nothing wrong making a grind go quicker. I grind out 19 point captains more than ship lines now.

Hear hear!

Makes coop costs, and T10 PvP costs bearable. Allows for faster grind, and easier to get captains up to spec.

If you can afford some Premium time, why not? (other than you can only play infrequently so most days would go to waste). In that last case, buying Premium boost for weekends only may make more sense.