You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Avrova1904

What to do when you are the lower Tier?

15 comments in this topic

Members
267 posts
4,751 battles

It happens to me frequently, I am a Tier V destroyer Minekaze and I am facing Indianapolis with radar, far better enemy destroyers and I feel it's really difficult to stand or contribute in some way to the game. The same for example if I am a Tier VIII battleship Monarch and I have to face even Tier X cruisers with more HP than my ship or Yamatos or Kurfurst, my main battery range is 18 km while other battleships can fire at me even out of my range. Is there any working strategy to follow in such games?

[PVE]
Members
9,802 posts
7,492 battles
14 minutes ago, Avrova1904 said:

It happens to me frequently, I am a Tier V destroyer Minekaze and I am facing Indianapolis with radar, far better enemy destroyers and I feel it's really difficult to stand or contribute in some way to the game. The same for example if I am a Tier VIII battleship Monarch and I have to face even Tier X cruisers with more HP than my ship or Yamatos or Kurfurst, my main battery range is 18 km while other battleships can fire at me even out of my range. Is there any working strategy to follow in such games?

Play a little more cautiously. Be more of a support ship. Follow a higher tier ship and help him out.

[PIZZA]
Members
727 posts
8,165 battles

Play a lot more cautiously and hunt perfect oportunity. 

[ARGSY]
Members
6,356 posts
4,288 battles

In those situations, I prioritise survival; achievement comes second. It is quite possible, after the Tier X ships have destroyed each other, that a Tier VIII survivor not having lost its team points can make the difference between a win and a loss.

Using cover becomes a priority.

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles

It is important to play your ship to her strengths, but this can be difficulty to recognize. 

When playing the Monarch in a tier 10 game your role becomes more supportive towards the higher tier ships. Together you concentrate fire together with the higher tier ships. You still have a big HP pool, so it can be necessary to take the lead over from a higher tier battleship when they are being concentrated. Tier X cruisers might have more HP, but you have thicker armour and bigger guns.

No one expects you to take out a Yamato in a 1 vs 1s, but the odds change when you have support by a higher tier cruiser or when the Yamato is extremely low. It is thus kinda important to recognize the situation, so know when you can win and somewhat the capabilities of your buddy. A full hp Zao hiding behind the island to lob shells over tells me that the guy is limited in his capabilities and makes me expect less from him. A quick look on the mini map to see what the rest of my team is doing will usually tell me whether to continue or not. Being overcautiously is also a thing, because when your team is having a hard time on the other side it might be in your hands to do the push.

Same for Minekaze. Be supportive, try to spot torpedoes or ships, take caps and attack when you can win. 

I think spotting exp is too little currently, kinda for the entire IJN torpedo ship line.

Members
267 posts
4,751 battles

Thank you for your advice, seems to be a great idea to be a supporter rather than a leader in such cases. Is just sometimes I feel like I have to push but I know this is worse when you are not simply able to do so and the chances to be deleted is greater than contribute in any way to your team. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,682 posts
9,083 battles
3 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

Play a little more cautiously. Be more of a support ship. Follow a higher tier ship and help him out.

This a hundred times over. If you are the only DD, try to bait the enemy radar ships into wasting their limited radar while you are behind cover. Actually even if you are not the only one try to bait their radar.

• Cool 1

[EQRN]
Members
346 posts
8,970 battles

Don't play like you're top tier.  It's funny and sad to see Bismarcks and Tirpitzes push in against T10s as if they were bullying T6s.

• Cool 1

[S0L0]
Members
226 posts
5,432 battles

in the case of the Monarch, i was actually pushed to use the spotter plane to make up tor the lack of range so that i won't be so close to get destroyed by tier 10 battleships, and still be able to at least contribute to the long range fight in the early stages.Also can help with ships using low cover and smoke to hide. (it takes a bit to get used to aiming tho)

overall, you'll need to play cautiously , push as a group mid game and play as defensive as possible if you get shot at by larger ships. late game is easier given that the team wins.

Edited by JB_24

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,682 posts
9,083 battles
6 minutes ago, JB_24 said:

in the case of the Monarch, i was actually pushed to use the spotter plane to make up tor the lack of range so that i won't be so close to get destroyed by tier 10 battleships, and still be able to at least contribute to the long range fight in the early stages.Also can help with ships using low cover and smoke to hide. (it takes a bit to get used to aiming tho)

overall, you'll need to play cautiously , push as a group mid game and play as defensive as possible if you get shot at by larger ships. late game is easier given that the team wins.

Yeah, that is one of the few ships that I find the spotter useful.

[S0L0]
Members
879 posts
4,914 battles

When in a DD, look for chances to drop smoke for your team, especially if you can close off the gap between islands, or extend a screen off the end of one towards the flank your team is pushing. Hit then end of the island at full speed with boost going, for maximum smoke length, once the smoke is laid, turn TOWARDS the red team and stay in front of your smoke, so your side has a spotter.

Frankly, the in-game rewards for spotting and teamplay like that aren't great, but it's a good way to roll a flank, and I always smile at the sight of a top-tier BB division bursting through my smoke, yelling "HEEE-EEERE'S JOHHHHNNY" and murderizing cruisers who had no idea they were there...

Matt

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

When bottom tier, I tend to look for higher tier ships doing good things, and support them. I'm out gunned individually, can't necessarily count on back up, so I become the backup.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
894 posts
7,283 battles

Load yer "head on a swivel" and "more caution" flags.   Buddy up with one of those T10 BBs.     Consider withholding max range shots (where you become spotted and suddenly, a juicy target).    Shoot at higher tier ships.   Angle as best you can.   Depend on those two flags you loaded.   

[A_51]
Members
63 posts
15,365 battles

I play Japanese DDs, mainly the Kagero, which usually means I’m low tier. First, I never rush into a cap, stealth is my biggest advantage and going into a cap at the beginning of a game is like say, “here I am, radar me”. First half of a game, I mainly do spotting, and Wargaming needs to adjust the XP, right now it is just too low. Keeping the enemy ships spotted is the best way I know off to have them sink faster. If the opportunity arises, I send torps . I run radio detection and I do surprise a lot of enemy DDs when they try to cap. They have a choice of moving or getting sunk. I cannot stress this enough, use map awareness. 

I thought with all the new radar ships, I would have to change to another type of ship, but I stuck with my Kagero, Yugumo, Shima and the hated Asashio, love that ship, and my win rates have increased. Just my play style has change, and for the better. Thank You Wargaming for making me a lot better IJN destroyer player. I run TRB, smoke is a torp magnate, with a lot of success. 

I cannot say that my style of play will work for you, but the best thing to do is to see what others are doing, what works and don’t works. Try new approaches, be patient, you’re no good to your team when dead. I hope this is helpful. Good Luck and Good Hunting. 

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,190 posts
11,707 battles

I play my game.  If there are radar ships on the other team, I try to keep an eye on them on my minimap and try to play around them.  The option to show last sighted position on the minimap is very useful for this, radar ships generally tend to stay in the same part of the map, so you will have an idea of where they are lurking.