You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
IfYouSeeKhaos

Why the "opt in" for Bastille Day mission

40 comments in this topic

Members
1,838 posts
17,662 battles

I can see the "opt in" options for the anime stuff because some people don't like anime & don't want to have anything to do w/anime themed events or end up w/anime ships or commanders in their ports...but why was there an "opt in" necessary for the Bastille Day mission?

I hope this isn't gonna become a standard thing for all missions...some people won't even get to do this because they didn't realize you needed to "opt in" for it because there is no logical reason for it.

What's so controversial about the mission or the camos you can win from it that you decided some people would be offended by it & choose to opt out.

Unfortunately as it is some have unintentionally "opted out" by not realizing you needed to "opt in" in the 1st place.

EDIT: The mission started on the 13th & there was a new tab for the monthly missions on the web page for it that morning...nothing else in the monthly missions was added except that 1 mission...I read it & then logged into the game & the mission wasn't available...there was no code to break to do it but you had to hit the "Start Mission" button...why there was a "Start Mission" button in  the 1st place for something in the monthly calendar was my main question. Have as many "break the code" events as you want in as many other venues as you wish but leave the monthly calendar the way it has always been (sans some anime stuff)...if it's in the calendar just put it in the game...no further tricks or gimmicks required.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos
  • Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
6,294 posts
4,256 battles

Because it needs 1798 main battery hits over 5 days for French ships of T5 or better, and if you're like me and only have battleships in that category, it's a loathsome grind unless you have a lot of time up your sleeve.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

Well some people did describe the camo as "obnoxiously French", but that was mostly as a joke accompanied by a chorus of "HONHONHON" and jokes about baguettes. I'm puzzled as well. I'm glad someone brought this up though, because as someone not from France or any country that refers to the French as something other than a joke, I had completely forgotten what day it was and thus had not opted in myself.

[LOU1]
Members
3,034 posts
8,128 battles

Unil this thread, I wasn't aware there was an Opt-In option.  I started the mission through a Wargaming code posted in the forum.

[FADES]
Members
152 posts
3,792 battles

Probably because it's the French National Day, and this is the NA server?  I don't think they include Croatian Independence Day, etc...on the NA server, but they probably included the event (with a code) on all servers in case anyone lived there from that country?

[PVE]
Members
9,688 posts
7,466 battles

It's 10 Revolution camos and was a code to unravel to get the mission. It's not like it's a mission to get Degrasse or something. I would guess to get more people to look around the news items to see if there are other codes.

[ARGSY]
5,178 posts
18,904 battles

Maybe they forgot the mission on the other servers? AFAIK the EU server had this as a regular mission.

[VOC]
38 posts
1,332 battles
24 minutes ago, digitaljustice said:

I don't think they include Croatian Independence Day, etc...on the NA server, but they probably included the event (with a code) on all servers in case anyone lived there from that country?

But WoWs has French ships and not Croatian ships right...? We European players also get to "celebrate" independence day of the US in a lot of other games, I don't see the problem with that. Boosters or free stuff is always nice to get.

Thanks for posting this OP, I didn't realise we have to opt-in.

[FADES]
Members
152 posts
3,792 battles
41 minutes ago, daangerous said:

But WoWs has French ships and not Croatian ships right...? We European players also get to "celebrate" independence day of the US in a lot of other games, I don't see the problem with that. Boosters or free stuff is always nice to get.

Thanks for posting this OP, I didn't realise we have to opt-in.

We do, but we don't celebrate (on the NA Server) Italian, German, Japanese, Polish, Austrailian, etc...holidays that I am aware of. 

[90THS]
Members
221 posts
879 battles

because most people don't even bother go checking main page websites 
as many have seem some forumties raise topic that should never happen if they really go check main page
so idea of "opt in" is way to tell people "if you to get nice stuff please at least check out main page" 
instead of game keep feeding playerbase, playerbase should do some homework even casual players.
its nice that game already provide info necessary for player, but player themselves should at least put some effort looking at it 
its good idea to make people work out a bit instead of being too lazy for a couple clicks away

• Cool 1

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
422 posts
12,998 battles
3 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

It's 10 Revolution camos and was a code to unravel to get the mission. It's not like it's a mission to get Degrasse or something. I would guess to get more people to look around the news items to see if there are other codes.

as many have seem some forumties raise topic that should never happen if they really go check main page
so idea of "opt in" is way to tell people "if you to get nice stuff please at least check out main page" 
instead of game keep feeding playerbase, playerbase should do some homework even casual players.
its nice that game already provide info necessary for player, but player themselves should at least put some effort looking at it 
its good idea to make people work out a bit instead of being too lazy for a couple clicks away

^^This. 

The opt-in, gives WG a method to approximate how many players are actually aware of such things.

Edited by HamptonRoads
  • Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
1,347 posts
13,069 battles
1 hour ago, New_Horizontal said:

An interesting and well thought out theory.

I prefer to think it's because the mission is such a pain in the "posterior" and the reward is so pitiful (who doesn't already have a couple hundred of these camos), that most players would automatically want to opt OUT!

So, WG preemptively accommodates them and avoids 5 days of threads complaining about it :)

Edited by Commander_367

[SHAN]
Beta Testers
328 posts

I found the mission by accident. I was on Facebook and WoWS had posted a partial code you had to decipher and someone had already broken it. If I had not seen that post I would have never known about the mission.

Cirran

Members
1,301 posts
21,070 battles

I went to check the "Get Latest Missions" rd tab and clicked on it.  Missions for every day in  July.  But no mention of Bastille Day.

I still can't find it in the mission briefings.

[PVE]
Members
9,688 posts
7,466 battles
1 minute ago, slokill_1 said:

I went to check the "Get Latest Missions" rd tab and clicked on it.  Missions for every day in  July.  But no mention of Bastille Day.

You have to redeem this code. It was something you had to decode to find it.

1407B1ST7LL8D9Y

[WOLF6]
Members
191 posts
2,188 battles
2 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

You have to redeem this code. It was something you had to decode to find it.

1407B1ST7LL8D9Y

You don't, actually; it's right in the July page:

Selection_020.png

Edited by ZoomieG
screenshot

[PVE]
Members
9,688 posts
7,466 battles
Just now, ZoomieG said:

You don't, actually; it's right in the July page:

Selection_019.png

Shiny. I got it from the code, but that is cool as well.

[BBICT]
Members
3,369 posts
3,561 battles

Well..there are a ton of missions this month, which is a good thing don't get me wrong...but I can see how this would get lost in the shuffle. I wish I had seen this earlier, but my bad. 

Thanks for heads up OP! 

[WOLF1]
Members
84 posts
4,289 battles

It wasn't there originally in the mission briefing, which is why so many like myself missed it.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,294 posts
4,256 battles
1 hour ago, blammo_2017 said:

It wasn't there originally in the mission briefing, which is why so many like myself missed it.

Interesting. 

It meant I accepted the code not being fully aware of the mission requirements. 1789 main battery hits? Easy, I'll just take out the Atlanta and...

Oh. French ships only. Okay, I'll just take out the Friant and...

Oh. Tier 5 and up. Hmm, Bretagne, Normandie and Lyon. Possible, but not with the time I've got at hand.

Giving the rest of this one a miss. Simply not enough time without suborning EVERYTHING to the accumulation of a relatively small number of camos. Just not worth the effort I would have to put in. Oooopsie, my bad.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,489 posts
3,435 battles
8 hours ago, digitaljustice said:

We do, but we don't celebrate (on the NA Server) Italian, German, Japanese, Polish, Austrailian, etc...holidays that I am aware of. 

We celebrated Brazilian Dad's Day last year; which was basically shop discounts.

We also celebrated another South American holiday too, I just forget which. It was also another shop discount.

Then again, both are still American, in a sense.

Members
1,838 posts
17,662 battles
11 hours ago, ExploratorOne said:

Unil this thread, I wasn't aware there was an Opt-In option.  I started the mission through a Wargaming code posted in the forum.

Having to use a wargaming code is "opting in"...not needing to opt in would just be it's announced & it's in the game...no code...no button to press...no tricks...no gimmicks...which I don't have a problem w/in general...just not in the calendar...it hasn't been a standard thing in the calendar before (sans anime stuff) so why change it now & w/out any advanced warning.

5 hours ago, slokill_1 said:

3 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

Shiny. I got it from the code, but that is cool as well.

2 hours ago, Sir_Davos_Seaworth said:

Well..there are a ton of missions this month, which is a good thing don't get me wrong...but I can see how this would get lost in the shuffle. I wish I had seen this earlier, but my bad. 

Thanks for heads up OP! 

They reissued the calendar on the web page on the 13th (the day the mission started) w/a blurb about it being the Bastille Day anniversary...it wasn't there at the start of the month when the calendar 1st came out. It was the only new thing in the whole calendar (although they had removed all of the already finished events when they reissued it).

As it still does not cover any dates farther along in the month there may be other missions still to come later in the month so keep an eye on the web page when you 1st load up for any other surprises that may appear & also need an "opt in" to participate in.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos
  • Cool 2

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I opted in and then finished the Indy missions, and Stopped Playing the game.

One more Grind I didn't want nor will miss.

• Cool 1