You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Landsraad

Ship Anatomy Question

8 comments in this topic

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

Something that's bugged me for a while about the Yamato and Musashi that I can't find a decent answer for. Under some of the aircraft handling equipment on the stern are these two big cut-outs that lead to what looks like it could be a big flat hatch of some kind. Does anyone know what those hatches are for? I'm tempted to say launch or perhaps even mini-sub stowage (subs confirmed!), but I guess maybe you could possibly fit a floatplane in there? It's in an awkward position if that's the case. Are they even hatches? Is this just some structural idiosyncrasy the two ships shared?

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

Here we go:

43418960741_670358d71b_o.png

Looks a bit different on the in-game model and all the renderings I've seen, but there it is.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

And now the catwalk leading straight back from them to the two triple 25mm emplacements makes sense. Thanks!

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,335 posts
6,609 battles

Given the enormous blast wave of the guns, they had to pack the superstructure and everything very closely together. This meant no room for tenders and smaller boats, so they were stored under the deck.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,289 posts
12,830 battles

To elaborate, the muzzle blast from the 460mm guns is so great and the superstructure so crowded that there really isn't any place on the weather deck where you can store tenders and have them survive long enough to be useful, so they're stored under armor. Same with the planes , normally kept in the cutout in the deck.

[RKLES]
Members
7,243 posts
9,040 battles

Must say had wondered about that myself in the design, and must say it is an ingenious way to store those smaller craft out of the way and far better protected. And keeping with Japanese style it is very elegant as well.