You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Capt_h2o

HE spam and the reason BB's won't engage

185 comments in this topic

[NOBS]
Members
533 posts
5,877 battles

Tier 10, in my Kurfurst, without being able to hit the cruiser that is spamming me with HE rounds I drop 109k in HP before I can reach the cap while he hides behind an island. That's why BB's sit at the back and refuse to engage. No boat should be able to send a steady stream of HE rounds while not being able to be hit. 

@Radar_X @Gneisenau013

• Cool 8
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 6
  • Bad 11

[LUCK]
Members
1,300 posts
19,563 battles
1 minute ago, Capt_h2o said:

Tier 10, in my Kurfurst, without being able to hit the cruiser that is spamming me with HE rounds I drop 109k in HP before I can reach the cap while he hides behind an island. That's why BB's sit at the back and refuse to engage. No boat should be able to send a steady stream of HE rounds while not being able to be hit. 

@Radar_X @Gneisenau013

Turn around?

• Cool 6
  • Funny 2

[SIDE]
Members
1,250 posts
8,868 battles

Just saying, by the time you turn a kurfurst around, it's pretty much already too late, it being slow/clumsy/super long hull.

Then again, the op should be able to recognize where cruisers are likely to be and either avoid or flank.

[5D5]
Members
2,286 posts
14,332 battles

Do you have a replay of the match? I'm sure we could give you pointers if we could review the battle.

• Cool 2

[INTEL]
Members
8,581 posts
25,683 battles
15 hours ago, _Rumple_ said:

Just saying, by the time you turn a kurfurst around, it's pretty much already too late, it being slow/clumsy/super long hull.

Then again, the op should be able to recognize where cruisers are likely to be and either avoid or flank.

There is no way to know whether a particular island hides a cruiser until it starts shooting.

The OP is completely right. High ROF spam, especially HE spam, is bad for the playing environment in general. There is zero fun in being hosed down by a Mino or a Worcester, and their introduction into the game was a huge mistake. Like CVs, such ships are fun only for the person playing them. This problem will only worsen when the IJN T9-10 gunboat DDs are introduced. 

Tactically, I've noticed this in Atlanta, Helena, and Des Moines. Those ships can control the space around them because cruisers that push up will take a beating, while BBs that push up are quickly set afire and must retire to heal. Especially in Atlanta, you can park behind an island and people will often refuse to push you, because of the practical and psychological effects of constantly being set ablaze. The torp spam is a problem, but the HE spam is a major factor in keeping BBs at a distance.

• Cool 4
  • Bad 6

[WOLFB]
Members
1,725 posts
8,251 battles

Then learn to aim maybe ? Learn not to over extend but at the same time not playing too passive ?  :Smile_popcorn:

[-WPG-]
Members
803 posts
3,352 battles
42 minutes ago, Capt_h2o said:

I drop 109k in HP before I can reach the cap 

You're going into a contested cap with a GK?  

• Bad 1

[SIX]
Beta Testers
66 posts
9,176 battles
4 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

Well, to be fair, the most common criticism of BBs is that they don't contest caps and aren't aggressive. In a Tier X match, especially with a secondary beast like a German BB, going into a cap isn't that strange. But the OP has a huge point about HE spam. There are things you can do, but really, it is not only extremely ahistorical (yes, it's an arcade game, yada yada yada, but still) but also demoralizing.

But it would be close to ok if every damn BB shot at a cruiser wasn't a near - zero damage overpen....

• Cool 4

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
6 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

Dude, I took a correspondence course in Karate, I got this...

• Funny 4

[PVE]
Members
382 posts
8,597 battles

One time during a match with my Warspite, an Atlanta was camping the island in front of me. Since nobody would push, it was up to me to dig the Atlanta from behind the island.

I was HE spammed to death from a full 3/4 hp without ever even spotting the Atlanta until I was nearly dead.

While this was happening I was wondering why even put this mechanic into a game?

How does it help player retention to be spammed to death from a ship behind an island that can't even be detected?

Sure, the Atlanta COULD have been driven off from it's perch by a friendly support ship but that requires teamwork. We all know how often that happens in random.

• Cool 2

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,838 posts
4,731 battles

Honestly I don't think the OP is wrong in the least, there are just some cruisers that are built soley to spam HE, and they do it well. My Yammy today with a full fire build was set on fire in repeated order by a Zao, by the time you turn out...he's got a good chunk off of you.

Truthfully, I've learned to not go it alone, if I see the team running to one direction I go with them, you can't go it alone these days. 

OP, if this is true you need to start going with the flow of battle. Stick to your support ships and get good with the spotter plane...you can really scare the heck outta a HE spammer when you land a salvo over an island. 

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Members
2,128 posts
4,750 battles
Just now, Rabbitt81 said:

One time during a match with my Warspite, an Atlanta was camping the island in front of me. Since nobody would push, it was up to me to dig the Atlanta from behind the island.

I was HE spammed to death from a full 3/4 hp without ever even spotting the Atlanta until I was nearly dead.

While this was happening I was wondering why even put this mechanic into a game?

How does it help player retention to be spammed to death from a ship behind an island that can't even be detected?

Sure, the Atlanta COULD have been driven off from it's perch by a friendly support ship but that requires teamwork. We all know how often that happens in random.

I feel the pain of players on the receiving end of HE rain, though personally I love ships like the Atlanta and the new Helena. A guilty pleasure, but a pleasure nonetheless. However, these ships have a big flaw in that they're dependent on the team having their flanks secured. When the enemy makes a concentrated push and manages to sink the allies near the Helena / Atlanta, it's as good as dead. Oh crap, did I just tell you how to deal with these ships? LOL.

[PVE]
Members
382 posts
8,597 battles
7 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

Just going to pass this one up

fJQj88V.gif

Is this your new favorite gif or what?

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,936 posts
7,508 battles

I play BB's a lot. I push. I aim well. I rarely get burned down, and I dont even use BoS or FP on the vast majority of  my BB's.

What this tells me is that I know when to be somewhere, and when not to be there. It tells me that I position myself well. It tells me I don't try to solo things and yolo off alone in my BB's. It tells me that I stay close to my support, and so I support them in return. What it tells me, OP, is that you don't play like I do.

And that is pretty much the issue.

• Cool 4

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
Just now, Rabbitt81 said:

Is this your new favorite gif or what?

one of my favs

Members
29 posts
647 battles
55 minutes ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

Do you have a replay of the match? I'm sure we could give you pointers if we could review the battle.

I am sure we can tell you what you did wrong after we see you do it.  

/armchair_quarter_backing

/hind_sigh_is_20/20

Members
567 posts
75 battles
1 hour ago, Capt_h2o said:

@Radar_X @Gneisenau013

It's always significantly under-performing players that seem to magically have this enlightened understanding of what should or should not be.

Try to comprehend this simple concept:  If there are tons of top performing players who do not have the problem you're having, don't you think that maybe you should adopt the tactics they are using instead of complaining about a problem that has an actual solution?

Because every second of your life that you cannot grasp this concept, you look ridiculous.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 8

Members
3,780 posts
14,033 battles
1 hour ago, Capt_h2o said:

@Radar_X @Gneisenau013

And if the Cruiser wasn't taking cover, the BB would be able to delete him with one or 2 salvos of AP. War's hell.

Anyway...

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2
  • Bad 4

[PVE]
Members
382 posts
8,597 battles
23 minutes ago, Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu said:

I feel the pain of players on the receiving end of HE rain, though personally I love ships like the Atlanta and the new Helena. A guilty pleasure, but a pleasure nonetheless. However, these ships have a big flaw in that they're dependent on the team having their flanks secured. When the enemy makes a concentrated push and manages to sink the allies near the Helena / Atlanta, it's as good as dead. Oh crap, did I just tell you how to deal with these ships? LOL.

this sentence in my post you are responding to-------------------------> Sure, the Atlanta COULD have been driven off from it's perch by a friendly support ship but that requires teamwork. We all know how often that happens in random.

*cough cough something something teamwork in randoms something never happens *cough cough

Edited by Rabbitt81

Beta Testers
199 posts
458 battles

Pesky Artillery, amirite?  Hiding where you can't see them, shooting you from where they can't be shot.  #RemoveCruisersFromTheGame

[5D5]
Members
2,286 posts
14,332 battles
3 minutes ago, PFCWilliams said:

I am sure we can tell you what you did wrong after we see you do it.  

/armchair_quarter_backing

/hind_sigh_is_20/20

Triggered much? 

Of course a replay is hindsight. Why else would you have them if you can't look at them to see what you did right or wrong or share them for that reason to get better.

It's amazing how much this community has changed where you can't say this anymore without getting attacked. When I joined this game and people were looking for help or complaining about something specific this was exactly what was mentioned.

Maybe I should have just trolled him to make potatoes like you happy.

• Cool 1

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Play those ships, learn their limitations, use that knowledge against them.

• Cool 3

[PVE]
Members
382 posts
8,597 battles
Just now, 1SneakyDevil said:

Triggered much? 

Of course a replay is hindsight. Why else would you have them if you can't look at them to see what you did right or wrong or share them for that reason to get better.

It's amazing how much this community has changed where you can't say this anymore without getting attacked. When I joined this game and people were looking for help or complaining about something specific this was exactly what was mentioned.

Maybe I should have just trolled him to make potatoes like you happy.

I have noticed that a lot of these forum trolls use proven and obvious troll tactics.

Instead of responding to the issue they try to be sneaky and change the subject. As in this case, since they have no answer it's easier to ask well where's the replay?

Then they hope to derail the thread into fighting until one side or the other gives up. I consider the issue won when they resort to doing this.

• Boring 2
  • Bad 1

Members
2,557 posts
12,419 battles
11 minutes ago, A_Crying_Hipster said:

It's always significantly under-performing players that seem to magically have this enlightened understanding of what should or should not be.

Try to comprehend this simple concept:  If there are tons of top performing players who do not have the problem you're having, don't you think that maybe you should adopt the tactics they are using instead of complaining about a problem that has an actual solution?

Because every second of your life that you cannot grasp this concept, you look ridiculous.

I love this guy,  he punches you in the mouth, and it takes awhile to decipher what he means, and then you realize he was right.. (well 95% of the time)

As to the OP, go full secondary's, roll down hill and don't stop..... you may not win every game... but you will have more fun in 6 minutes than you will in any other ship...and still wrack up 120k in damage. Winning is awesome, fun is better. 

• Cool 2