Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SaltyRat

Indianapolis Marthon Rethink!

50 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

52
[USMC_]
Members
246 posts
13,159 battles

I do love the challenge of these marathons but something that does not ring out to me is some of the missions. One in particular that I find troubling is where I need to get two citadel and two set fire ribbons which is a challenge in and of itself but where it gets aggravating is when one of the goals of the mission is that I have to rely on my team winning. Given the nature of players that play this game, winning is very much hit and miss if you get on a team that even wants to play as a team, let alone have the same desire to win the match. More than 6 times over the last few days I have met my obligation in getting the ribbons, only to watch it slip away from me because the team I was on played horribly and did not even come close to winning or even making it a challenge for the red team. I would rather see the goals be set even harder than to have to have one of them be something where I have to rely on someone else in order to complete the mission. Given war gaming's focus being more on handing out participation awards as to rewarding good team and game play, setting up mission goals like this are very much a luck of the draw and makes even attempting them seem like a senseless option. They really need to reconsider the goals setup in these types of missions and make it more about the skill set of the player and less dependant on some team that has no clue how to play, making it more a lottery game than a game of skill!

  • Cool 4
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52
[USMC_]
Members
246 posts
13,159 battles

Yea, its either or thats for sure Ducky... Thats why I compare it more to playing the lottery/game of chance rather than a game of skill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
997
[5D]
Members
2,753 posts
16,654 battles

The win condition is the result of many complaining during the ARP missions that many players would just yolo so they could fulfill mission requirements and it degraded team play.

You just need to stick with it and it will happen.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,831
[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I completed the Grind for the Indy and then Stopped Playing. I am so tired of "GRINDING".

The Demands of these Missions for a MEH Bote at best is Mind Bending.

WG has Placed such a High Value on Crap and this Crap is placed behind Unreasonable Demands.

There are those who actually Defend this Mindset. "You are All SICK"

Think of what your Boss expects from you for $20 an hour.

Now Put the Game in perspective What can you get for 1 hour of your earned $20 from War Gaming.

  • Cool 4
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52
[USMC_]
Members
246 posts
13,159 battles
11 minutes ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

The win condition is the result of many complaining during the ARP missions that many players would just yolo so they could fulfill mission requirements and it degraded team play.

You just need to stick with it and it will happen.

 

I see the logic in that but then why not make the condition that I must live? Would still be a solution to the problem but then it is on me and not having to rely on the team!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,087
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,376 posts
11,316 battles
14 minutes ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

The win condition is the result of many complaining during the ARP missions that many players would just yolo so they could fulfill mission requirements and it degraded team play.

You just need to stick with it and it will happen.

 

In there own way this increased requirements can degrade team play particularly the win and get kills missions which reward people waiting to shoot to "kill steal" . It would be nice if they would put in alternate conditions such as win five matches or whatever number as an option to complete them.

6 minutes ago, SaltyRat said:

I see the logic in that but then why not make the condition that I must live? Would still be a solution to the problem but then it is on me and not having to rely on the team!

Some missions have that requirement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52
[USMC_]
Members
246 posts
13,159 battles
8 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

I completed the Grind for the Indy and then Stopped Playing. I am so tired of "GRINDING".

The Demands of these Missions for a MEH Bote at best is Mind Bending.

WG has Placed such a High Value on Crap and this Crap is placed behind Unreasonable Demands.

There are those who actually Defend this Mindset. "You are All SICK"

Think of what your Boss expects from you for $20 an hour.

Now Put the Game in perspective What can you get for 1 hour of your earned $20 from War Gaming.

I feel your frustration but the easy solution for you is simple, just dont play the mission and find enjoyment in something else. Personally the grind is what makes it all worthwhile for me at least and there is a certain satisfaction I get from it that is personal. Hence why I think it is a joke to make missions dependant on the efforts of someone else to complete them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52
[USMC_]
Members
246 posts
13,159 battles
2 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Some missions have that requirement.

Yes and those I have no issue with because then it is all on me which speaks to the point of my rant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,087
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,376 posts
11,316 battles
8 hours ago, SaltyRat said:

Yes and those I have no issue with because then it is all on me which speaks to the point of my rant. 

You are still trying to stack things that for all but the unicum players is not an easy thing to do on demand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
71
[-SYN-]
Members
218 posts
4,509 battles

Generally any and win task can be a real pain in the butt. 

I managed this one thanks to deal old battlecruiser Hindenburg and a Minotaur kind enough to offer his broadside at close range. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
754
[VW]
Members
2,620 posts
14,679 battles

Frankly theyre not that hard. You win one out of every two battles, so then its just focusing the mission. And especially when survival is not an issue. Get in get your fires, get your cits, if you have to yolo to do it then do it. The win will come. It’s true wins are harder to come by on the weekend if you cant carry hard, but then most of  the win missions were on weekdays. The only challenging mission in the entire event was the 1750 pts, but since you cà miss many missions and still get the prize it’s not a big deal.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
305 posts
5,098 battles

both the Aigle and Indianapolis missions got me on this

kill 2 ships and win

during those 2 days to do that, I just straight up couldn't. I did win both ships but I just aggravated I couldn't do it for those two days but then the next day I did it just fine.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
305 posts
9,279 battles

The biggest problem isn't the mission requirements, it's the time sensitive nature of the missions. Anyone can set 2 fires and score 2 citadel hits in a winning battle ... but can someone who might only have time for a few battles a day be guaranteed to do it in two days? No. Not everyone is a professional gamer that can play for hours a day until they reach the magical one off requirement. Not to mention that this time of year people tend to have vacations, family events, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,087
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,376 posts
11,316 battles
2 minutes ago, CFagan1987 said:

The biggest problem isn't the mission requirements, it's the time sensitive nature of the missions. Anyone can set 2 fires and score 2 citadel hits in a winning battle ... but can someone who might only have time for a few battles a day be guaranteed to do it in two days? No. Not everyone is a professional gamer that can play for hours a day until they reach the magical one off requirement. Not to mention that this time of year people tend to have vacations, family events, etc.

Right, it is the on demand aspect that if you can't put the mission to the back of your head that makes it suck. I will admit that I have had my best luck with these kinds of missions when I said the hell with the mission and just played but some times it can be hard to do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42
[AXANR]
[AXANR]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
263 posts
13,737 battles

I started winning when I said to hell with winning and focused solely on my dmg average to rub it in forum troll faces. The name of the game is motivation. If you have none this game is the worst. If you have some it is the best. Replay-ablity is defined by your ability to find new motivation to play. WG makes the best visuals and they show mad love to history but they are crap at being day camp counselors or the gym teacher. We need more or more allowances. Like clan "Alliances" so casuals can team up if their clans are in-game allied forces. That way another clans FC can shot call for the casuals who are lost in the rough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
403
[WOLF2]
Members
1,284 posts
8,736 battles
2 hours ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

You just need to stick with it and it will happen.

^^^Truth^^^

Took me a 7 or 8 games to finally get it (won the Indy at set 21, but still playing the achievements to get the container (and maybe, maybe a ship)).     I'd get five fires, ONE citadel and a win.   Followed by three fires, three citadels and a loss.   Finally, FINALLY got the right combination to get the achievement.

Nose to grindstone - play as normal - eventually, it'll happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,547
[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,126 posts

Indianapolis went on sale a while back for $25.99.....

In my second account, it got me into the T7 scenarios where I won stuff I needed.

We're talking the price of 2 sheets of drywall.

I'm not the grindy type for things of this nature.  Not worth the value of the time I must give up my life.

I will play to have fun, but as far as having goals into things I can't readily control...  this is abusive.

 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,125 posts
3,922 battles

Just finished mine by the skin of my teeth.  Could not for the life of me set anything on fire in my Alsace.  Finally got into secondary range and managed to set one fire...and then sank.  One last salvo out from those 152 secondaries on the front of the Alsace...and the Moskva I was aiming at went up in flames.  At that point we had the game won as well so that was that.

Still,  note to self,  don't make a series of missions like this depend on something so...RNG-y in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,900
[ARGSY]
Members
11,793 posts
7,540 battles
7 hours ago, SaltyRat said:

One in particular that I find troubling is where I need to get two citadel and two set fire ribbons which is a challenge in and of itself but where it gets aggravating is when one of the goals of the mission is that I have to rely on my team winning.

This particular mission has been my bane over the last two nights, and I was almost more relieved to have done with it than I was to have actually won the ship (which I did last weekend).

The primary problem was a combination of my shooting being really suboptimal and RNG trolling me hard with dispersion, or with kill-steals on the tighter and better-aimed salvos. If my shooting were a lot better, I'd be getting the hits required to get those fires and citadels every time, and this mission would have been less of a problem; it would have been a matter of waiting only for the win rather than waiting for all the stars to align at once. I'm convinced that some of my lost battles would have been victories if my shooting was better and certain ships had gone down earlier.

But my real heartbreak was getting 1760 Base XP in a Nelson game earlier this week. Just a bit too late! :Smile_teethhappy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,087
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,376 posts
11,316 battles
4 hours ago, AVR_Project said:

Indianapolis went on sale a while back for $25.99.....

In my second account, it got me into the T7 scenarios where I won stuff I needed.

We're talking the price of 2 sheets of drywall.

I'm not the grindy type for things of this nature.  Not worth the value of the time I must give up my life.

I will play to have fun, but as far as having goals into things I can't readily control...  this is abusive.

 

If you are near average or better it is far from impossible but the requirements can be frustrating. Frustration is the real problem for most people which means they are unable to push it out of their mind and it impacts their play negatively.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
994
[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,189 posts
4,996 battles
7 hours ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

Think of what your Boss expects from you for $20 an hour.

Now Put the Game in perspective What can you get for 1 hour of your earned $20 from War Gaming.

I don't know what's more depressing, the fact that I make less than half of that or the fact that by that logic I was grinding for Wargaming for far less than what I ACTUALLY make to get the sharkbait, and I still didn't get it through the marathon because of IRL extinct bovine coprolites.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,505
[SYN]
Members
15,332 posts
12,337 battles

It's properly difficult, which is good

It's stupidly time consuming when you have teams that throw games, which is bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,381 posts
3,728 battles

Have to agree with the time sensitive concerns. Though the only thing I would suggest changing is to give more breathing room with how many missions you can miss. 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42
[AXANR]
[AXANR]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
263 posts
13,737 battles
2 hours ago, Palladia said:

Just finished mine by the skin of my teeth.  Could not for the life of me set anything on fire in my Alsace.  Finally got into secondary range and managed to set one fire...and then sank.  One last salvo out from those 152 secondaries on the front of the Alsace...and the Moskva I was aiming at went up in flames.  At that point we had the game won as well so that was that.

Still,  note to self,  don't make a series of missions like this depend on something so...RNG-y in the future.

If you want fire mate get a FIRE ENGINE. Get a Conqueror!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×