You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheDreadnought

Tier 10 gameplay really sucks

27 comments in this topic

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,866 posts
5,255 battles

So I figured I'd break out my Tier 10s this weekend and work on getting some Unique Upgrades.  It was just a really fast reminder of why I don't play Tier 10 much.

Game after game of cruisers and DDs sitting in smoke, or behind islands (or both) just spamming shots at anything they could.

Seriously, it was the most boring crapever.   My teams actually did ok in most cases. . . but why bother to play if it's just about mashing the left mouse button over and over again as fast as you can with no thinking or interesting play involved.  I think I might wind up putting everything above 7 into mothballs, except for Massachusetts, which can do ok at Tier 10 and still be fun to play due to the secondary storm.  But otherwise, it's just really not much fun at higher tiers.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

Members
2,557 posts
12,419 battles
1 minute ago, TheDreadnought said:

So I figured I break out my Tier 10s this weekend and work on getting some Unique Upgrades.  It was just a really fast reminder of why I don't play Tier 10 much.

Game after game of cruisers and DDs sitting in smoke, or behind islands (or both) just spamming shots at anything they could.

Seriously, it was the most boring crapever.   My teams actually did ok in most cases. . . but why bother to play if it's just about mashing the left mouse button over and over again as fast as you can with no thinking or interesting play involved.  I think I might wind up putting everything above 7 into mothballs, except for Massachusetts, which can do ok at Tier 10 and still be fun to play due to the secondary storm.  But otherwise, it's just really not much fun at higher tiers.

I am your mirror image with the same games played... Tier ten sucks...… it takes refining...and even then its can still suck......but...now I cant fathom playing tier 8 or below, trying to grind the richylou and I panic when I get in a tier 6-8 game..its like herding cats ...on ice.  Change your mindset. it gets better. 

• Boring 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,828 posts
9,581 battles

It gets incredibly frustrating when there are only 1 or 0 stealth orientated DDs in a domination game. Those games are usually steamrolls because one side will get 2 or 3 of the caps and push the other out of being able to contest caps.

It's not even fun. I spent an entire game in my Alsace desperately trying to catch up with the collapsing enemy team.

Members
1,316 posts
501 battles

OMwviC1.jpg

we already knew this...

Edited by neptunes_wrath
  • Cool 2

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,067 posts
14,462 battles

Tier X is dangerous, but IMO, it's the first real tier where all the ship types are at their highest form of power.  BBs, great with Yamato, Montana, etc.  The CAs are all dangerous there.  The DDs are fierce with Khab, Z-52, Gearing.  People talk about Shima being bad, but everybody still fears her 15 torpedo salvos.  The CVs here are at their peak of power and prowess.

When you look at the tiers below, there are massive gaps in capabilities for their tiers between the classes.  It's not an even field.

Outside Tier I-II, Tier X is where everyone is at their peak.  You can either take the heat or go back to low tiers.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

Members
4,546 posts
6,440 battles
10 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

I am your mirror image with the same games played... Tier ten sucks...… it takes refining...and even then its can still suck......but...now I cant fathom playing tier 8 or below, trying to grind the richylou and I panic when I get in a tier 6-8 game..its like herding cats ...on ice.  Change your mindset. it gets better. 

Gee I think tiers 5-7 are fun with lots of fighting and you see very good players because, well, they have gotten sick of the highest tiers and play the lower ones a lot now. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,866 posts
5,255 battles
2 minutes ago, neptunes_wrath said:

OMwviC1.jpg

we already knew this...

No, we all knew that it sucked. . . .

But it REALLY sucks.

I'm done with it for the foreseeable future.  Until WG makes some radical changes to make this game about maneuvering, instead of a ridiculous spotting algorithm, Tier 10 will always suck.

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,044 posts
1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Tier X is dangerous, but IMO, it's the first real tier where all the ship types are at their highest form of power.  BBs, great with Yamato, Montana, etc.  The CAs are all dangerous there.  The DDs are fierce with Khab, Z-52, Gearing.  People talk about Shima being bad, but everybody still fears her 15 torpedo salvos.  The CVs here are at their peak of power and prowess.

When you look at the tiers below, there are massive gaps in capabilities for their tiers between the classes.  It's not an even field.

Outside Tier I-II, Tier X is where everyone is at their peak.  You can either take the heat or go back to low tiers.

One thing about Tier 10 Ships?Play  Your Guaranteed  Not Too Be UpTiered

• Cool 1

Members
1,316 posts
501 battles
Just now, TheDreadnought said:

No, we all knew that it sucked. . . .

But it REALLY sucks.

I'm done with it for the foreseeable future.  Until WG makes some radical changes to make this game about maneuvering, instead of a ridiculous spotting algorithm, Tier 10 will always suck.

well when I play my HINDY I usually have a great time... mostly wins but even loses are fun...other than that, yeah, it sucks

Members
1,316 posts
501 battles
Just now, shadowsrmine said:

One thing about Tier 10 Ships?Play  Your Guaranteed  Not Too Be UpTiered

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,866 posts
5,255 battles
3 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

People aren't "at their peak" you're romanticizing it.

Yes, the ships are very powerful.   But the offense at this tier has so outstripped defensive capabilities that the only effective defense is not to be seen.

It's just an imbalanced trash pile of game design.

There's not any special or interesting skills involved.  Just basic learning of how to exploit the vision mechanics.  Anybody can do that with a little experience.  There's no real "tactics" involved.  Just manipulation of artificial and unrealistic game mechanics.  It's not fun, and not interesting.

I wound up keeping 3 tier 8s, but everything else I stripped and put into mothballs. 

• Bad 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,067 posts
14,462 battles

This is no longer the tier where you see something like Tier V & VI BBs curb-stomping the useless Cruisers of their tiers and a bunch of DDs sailing around with 6.8km detection ranges.

At Tier X, your BBs got to deal with Cruiser and Destroyers being extremely dangerous to you.

[TBW]
Members
6,400 posts
12,031 battles
25 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

So I figured I'd break out my Tier 10s this weekend and work on getting some Unique Upgrades.  It was just a really fast reminder of why I don't play Tier 10 much.

Tier ten is the goal, once you have them all you can go play the ships and tiers you really like.

Members
2,557 posts
12,419 battles
8 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Gee I think tiers 5-7 are fun with lots of fighting and you see very good players because, well, they have gotten sick of the highest tiers and play the lower ones a lot now. 

again, your number of games is in play. I said the same thing at that number. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,067 posts
14,462 battles

At Tier X:

I can point to Yamato, Gearing, Hindenburg, Midway and say they are all extremely dangerous threats.  You can plug and play any of the X ships and say that.

The previous tiers, unless you're talking Tier I-II, you can't say that.

Members
4,546 posts
6,440 battles
6 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

again, your number of games is in play. I said the same thing at that number. 

Fair enough.  I will ponder that. Carry on mate. 

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles

Just mashing the left mouse button? Someone skipped the concealment course.

If you said tier 10 is boring I would have agreed.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Take a Break away from the Game.

WG will notice the numbers dwindling and Maybe do something. This is just me and my thought. 

We all know Nothing will Change.

So I will just keep moving

fJQj88V.gif

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,866 posts
5,255 battles
1 minute ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

Just mashing the left mouse button? Someone skipped the concealment course.

If you said tier 10 is boring I would have agreed.

Read the thread.  Exploiting a spotting algorithm is not tactics or skill.  It's easily learned and boring.

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles
4 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

Read the thread.  Exploiting a spotting algorithm is not tactics or skill.  It's easily learned and boring.

Why? 

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Only thing I really don't like about tier 10 is the number of people who play it that never learned a single thing about the game, and are counting on having the best ship to make up for having the worst brain. The biggest assets in tier 10 games are usually the players in tier 8 and 9 ships.

Members
4,170 posts

T8-10 gameplay is why I stopped grinding at T8.  As much as I'd love to have a Yamato or Montana, the gamplay at the upper tier makes me want to walk away from the game.

• Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
1,409 posts
44 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

It gets incredibly frustrating when there are only 1 or 0 stealth orientated DDs in a domination game. Those games are usually steamrolls because one side will get 2 or 3 of the caps and push the other out of being able to contest caps.

It's not even fun. I spent an entire game in my Alsace desperately trying to catch up with the collapsing enemy team.

I’ve had a few games with no dd whatsoever and even though it took a few mins for cruisers to come to terms on being front line the game proceeds otherwise normally and we still had a lot of fun. Absence of torp wall threat did wonders for B.B. courage.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,067 posts
14,462 battles
9 minutes ago, cometguy said:

Only thing I really don't like about tier 10 is the number of people who play it that never learned a single thing about the game, and are counting on having the best ship to make up for having the worst brain. The biggest assets in tier 10 games are usually the players in tier 8 and 9 ships.

You tried Space Battles?  Seeing people that have never done Tier X in those things and it showed :Smile_teethhappy:

Watches Space Des Moines try to play my Battleship like he was playing Tier VI Cleveland.

[DELETES SPACE DM]

This Space Minotaur still doesn't realize my Space DM is Radaring him in his smoke.

[DELETES SPACE MINOTAUR]

Oh, there's 5 red players camping in that Space Minotaur's smoke!  That's prime targeting for my Space Gearing!

[Launches all torps, 10km range]

[An enemy Space Zao appears to spot the torpedoes well away from the targets, and avoids all the torps]

Well dang, the torps got spotted, guess I won't get the torp hits.

[PROCEEDS TO LAND 7 TORP HITS IN THE SMOKE]

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Funny 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,866 posts
5,255 battles
17 minutes ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

Why? 

Because a naval game is about maneuver.  That's what makes it interesting.  As far as "castle" type games go where you sit in one spot lobbing shots at each other, WOWS is pretty poor.

Also, people come to this game expecting to play out battles that resemble naval engagements.  At the upper tiers it starts to lose any kind of resemblance.  There are plenty of other games out there that provide just about any experience somebody could want.  For WoWS to not do their damndest to make their game resemble their under-served niche market is a big mistake, and probably why they have a problem with attrition.

I'm not saying they have to make a hyper realistic game or anything.  But an arcade game about ships should FEEL like it's about ships.  At tiers 9/10, it just really doesn't feel that way.

Anyway. . . if you like it, be my guest.  But it's not for me and I'm just going to stick to Tiers 8 below from now on.