You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
IKECVBG

Laptop getting so hot graphics card shutdown..

7 comments in this topic

[VX9]
Members
66 posts
7,424 battles

Hiya! Need some help here. Since 7.6 went live, my laptop gets excessively hot, not warm, hot, while the game is running. I don't even have to be in match. I've updated my driver for my gpu, I've replaced the cooling pad, I've put the graphics settings at all levels to see if there was a threshold where maybe I could play with out feeling like my fingertips were gonna get toasted. My laptop's gpu is a Invidia GTX 1050Ti. I'm running outta options gang. Thanks!

[RKLES]
Members
7,211 posts
8,988 battles

Are you playing in the sunlight or hot environment? That will dramatically affect your computer temp when trying to do a game like this. That is part of the reason server rooms are often 60° range and without windows is to give the computers and servers best possible chance to keep themselves cool. Your computer may have a fan, but if it is sucking in 80° or 90° air then it’s ability to cool your processors down is not going to go all that well.

Members
615 posts

I have not seen any changes to my Alienware 13 with a 1060 card, 256  ssd and some other dazzle dazzel stuff. I7 chips had a heat issue in many laptops for gamers when paired with a 10xx card. Look up cooling pads and get a good one. 

Also are both/all fans running?  I have a 13 inch and if there was an issue it should affect me. 

[TBW]
Members
6,405 posts
12,050 battles
45 minutes ago, IKECVBG said:

Hiya! Need some help here. Since 7.6 went live, my laptop gets excessively hot, not warm, hot, while the game is running. I don't even have to be in match. I've updated my driver for my gpu, I've replaced the cooling pad, I've put the graphics settings at all levels to see if there was a threshold where maybe I could play with out feeling like my fingertips were gonna get toasted. My laptop's gpu is a Invidia GTX 1050Ti. I'm running outta options gang. Thanks!

Have you ever opened it up and cleaned out the layer of dust, that looks like a 1/4 inch felt pad, that collects on the cooling fins? cleaned the fan? They also have cooling stands/pads that you can sett your laptop on with built in fans.

https://express.google.com/u/0/product/8116895827199855103_7942249128796728661_8175035?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=tu_cu&utm_content=eid-lsjeuxoeqt,eid-ptgtgfeotu&utm_campaign=8175035

unnamed.jpg.211b8f900f3b51e850ccd1e1904d333d.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=laptop+cooling+stand&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=229030308862&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7921098568626924123&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9019595&hvtargid=kwd-300354743691&ref=pd_sl_5iakt4in8y_e_p37

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
41 minutes ago, IKECVBG said:

Me thinks its time for you to invest in a new pc.

[C-1]
[C-1]
Members
359 posts
6,797 battles

Checklist: Though it would be more helpful to know the details on your Laptop. Did you make any customizations to it, such as replacing the graphics card with another one before it? How old is it? etc.

1: make sure the interior is clean and free of dust and debris.

2: when in use, ensure that all fans are actually working (some could be defective).

3: when in use, ensure that there is adequate airflow (don't play the thing on your lap, or even tabletops, if your lap is going to block the vents. Even a flat table can limit effective airflow for bottom vents).

4: make sure the actual case of the laptop was designed to provide enough airflow for upgraded/aftermarket parts. (This one doesn't normally play a part (mostly because you don't often have laptops that you can upgrade), but if you installed anything aftermarket, it may be too much or too little for that particular laptop model).

5: Don't play your laptop in the Sahara Desert. (Go figure, but fans blowing hot air to cool down internal parts does not work all that well).

Potential, if not temporary solutions: Some of these things are pretty obvious but sometimes the obvious is overlooked.

1: Play in a colder environment. (It's summer, even with AC running, it can get a little warm in some places.)

2: Buy a cooling pad like Sovereign pointed out. (This is advised regardless as it helps in a number of situations and cooling in general).

3: Save up. (Because you may need to buy a new Laptop that can deal with the heat issue if everything else above doesn't work out).

IF it's software related... I have no idea. Try testing a few other "Demanding" games and see what happens with your Temp. As far as I know, WOWS shouldn't be that demanding for graphics cards or processors.