You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
captiantarheel79

Hiding behind rocks!!

27 comments in this topic

Members
9 posts
5,949 battles

Why do people feel the need to hide behind a bloody rock?! Why cant people learn to use the islands to out flank the enemy team and push and support the objective of the game type? Am I the only one who sees this issue? 

• Funny 2
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[SC]
Members
1,577 posts
10,033 battles

For the same reason the same people like lemming trains....  your guess

• Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,894 posts
12,629 battles

@captiantarheel79 people do that because they have found it to be effective with some ships and even those using a ship that this tactic is rarely if ever effective use it also over and over regardless of the fact that they are being sunk often, their team defeated just as often and then they will come onto the forum and complain about their horrible losing streaks! Also asking why, pleading don't do that, attempting to educate them about more effective tactics goes for naught. Just as this post will except for a very few reasonable responses! Now go sink some hide behind rockers!

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,804 posts
15,310 battles
22 minutes ago, captiantarheel79 said:

Why do people feel the need to hide behind a bloody rock?!

Because it's a better choice than dying to focused fire?

22 minutes ago, captiantarheel79 said:

Why cant people learn to use the islands to out flank the enemy team and push and support the objective of the game type?

Because if you don't attain superiority quickly you will fail and die?

23 minutes ago, captiantarheel79 said:

Am I the only one who sees this issue? 

No, you're the only one who FAILS to see the issue.

• Cool 6
  • Bad 1

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,328 posts
6,609 battles

Because some ships in this game are not suited for open water combat, and this rely on either using smoke or terrain to conceal themselves. A Des Moines fighting open water for example will never be as effective as a Hindenburg, or Zao.

• Cool 3

[TBW]
Members
6,413 posts
12,059 battles
35 minutes ago, torpsRus said:

Place head firmly between your legs and kiss your Butt goodbye.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[OO7]
Members
2,092 posts
8,218 battles

Its not really so much an issue that people do it, but rather that some people dont know when to move is and they get caught in awkward spots from time to time. Theres a difference between playing it safely and contributing rather than camping the island and not really contributing past about 5 minutes 

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,229 posts
9,022 battles
1 hour ago, captiantarheel79 said:

Why do people feel the need to hide behind a bloody rock?! Why cant people learn to use the islands to out flank the enemy team and push and support the objective of the game type? Am I the only one who sees this issue? 

Likely because we get a lot of people that come into WOWs from WOT and in WOT they love to hind behind rocks, tree, buildings, and even dead team mates... 

Then they come to WOWs and think what little they learned in tanks can be done in WOWs too.

[RKLES]
Members
7,229 posts
9,022 battles
10 minutes ago, BunnyDestroyerShimakaze said:

Its not really so much an issue that people do it, but rather that some people dont know when to move is and they get caught in awkward spots from time to time. Theres a difference between playing it safely and contributing rather than camping the island and not really contributing past about 5 minutes 

Yeah and if you are just sitting there and an enemy comes all my that has Torps it will take you way too long to get moving again. That is why I prefer to keep my ships moving since a ship on the move can Dodge Fire.

Members
158 posts
6,604 battles

Because it's an effective strategy for USN cruisers with their high shell arcs.  There's plenty of YouTube videos that demonstrate the efficacy of island-hugging.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
14,653 battles
1 hour ago, captiantarheel79 said:

Now WG wants DD to hide behind rocks too.....  seriously try and play a DD without hard cover close by only thing you can do is spot and provide little to no influence on  early match and hope your team actually shoots at what you see or its a complete waste of time so you might as well sit behind a rock and try to cap

[RKLES]
Members
7,229 posts
9,022 battles
12 minutes ago, GuntherPrein said:

Now WG wants DD to hide behind rocks too.....  seriously try and play a DD without hard cover close by only thing you can do is spot and provide little to no influence on  early match and hope your team actually shoots at what you see or its a complete waste of time so you might as well sit behind a rock and try to cap

Been there done that with a DD out in the open and racked up 140k damage in under 2 minutes in a match, then went on to add more to that. If you are used to stealth torping you can actually do more than you think.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,177 posts
14,605 battles

There are ships poorly suited for open water combat.  USN Cruisers are first and foremost, especially at high tier.  Even RN CLs if they are caught outside smoke and their smoke gen is on CD.

Baltimore, Des Moines, Cleveland, Worcester for example are terrible open water fighters.

There is also the fact that some of these "poor open water fighting" ships play the cap meta with their stealth and consumables, which incidentally involves going into islands.

You guys complaining about such ships just want a squishy DM or Worcester in the open to easily delete them.

• Cool 3

[BIER]
Members
126 posts
1,878 battles

As much as us DD players use rocks when we're capping, CA players generally live or die based on the availability of hard cover.

There aren't that many CAs that do really well out in the open. One can only dodge so much incoming fire before someone lands a 12k citadel on you from behind.

Obviously, there are some CA/CLs that really need cover to survive. However, there's a larger number that do very WELL when they use cover regularly.  Sitting in a IJN or French cruiser lobing HE 16km is a real good strategy for a lot of those lines.

Now, of course, the major issue is that if you're doing this, you need to keep a REAL close eye on the minimap. Because getting flanked is a real possibility, and you need to move BEFORE that happens.

[TOAST]
Members
812 posts
7,256 battles
On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 11:10 AM, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Been there done that with a DD out in the open and racked up 140k damage in under 2 minutes in a match, then went on to add more to that. If you are used to stealth torping you can actually do more than you think.

Because that one game was totally representative of the issue actually being discussed here... :Smile_teethhappy:

[RKLES]
Members
7,229 posts
9,022 battles
13 minutes ago, Vekta408 said:

Because that one game was totally representative of the issue actually being discussed here... :Smile_teethhappy:

You assume I only pulled stunts like that in 1 battle? :Smile_teethhappy:

Lol they asked “to try playing DD without hard cover...” so I told them it can be rather enjoyable. I actually prefer open water in my Torp DDs since I can manage distance from enemy well. And I frequently get nice scores in them.

And with all the Radar ships lately that love to island camp, it is actually safer to have 10km of water around you to avoid getting detected which happens near island areas more frenauently than being out in the open does.

[TOAST]
Members
812 posts
7,256 battles
39 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

You assume I only pulled stunts like that in 1 battle? :Smile_teethhappy:

Lol they asked “to try playing DD without hard cover...” so I told them it can be rather enjoyable. I actually prefer open water in my Torp DDs since I can manage distance from enemy well. And I frequently get nice scores in them.

And with all the Radar ships lately that love to island camp, it is actually safer to have 10km of water around you to avoid getting detected which happens near island areas more frenauently than being out in the open does.

So...you sail around 10km+ out spamming torps? I guess that's great for torp boats...I guess gunboats should do that to? What are caps am-I-right!:Smile_great:

[LRM]
Supertester
550 posts
5,217 battles

My North Carolina and Nagato love to see the rock hiders. If the rock is sufficiently small that the Atlanta can shoot over it, about 65% of the time it is sufficiently small that I can too. Nothing quite like bending a full salvo from my battleship right over that rock for 2-4 cits since the cruiser is sitting still. Then crowing in game chat: "Hey, (insert name here), I see you!"

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
2 hours ago, DonKarnage2 said:

My North Carolina and Nagato love to see the rock hiders. If the rock is sufficiently small that the Atlanta can shoot over it, about 65% of the time it is sufficiently small that I can too. Nothing quite like bending a full salvo from my battleship right over that rock for 2-4 cits since the cruiser is sitting still. Then crowing in game chat: "Hey, (insert name here), I see you!"

AZ's slower AP(792 muzzle velocity) than HE says hi to Atlantas as well.

• Funny 1

[LRM]
Supertester
550 posts
5,217 battles
1 minute ago, legoboy0401 said:

AZ's slower AP(792 muzzle velocity) than HE says hi to Atlantas as well.

Yes, though Arizona prefers to say "Howdy!" right  @Avenge_December_7?

[STW-M]
Members
2,103 posts
5,895 battles
7 hours ago, DonKarnage2 said:

Yes, though Arizona prefers to say "Howdy!" right  @Avenge_December_7?

Without the exclamation mark, and with a certain drawl.

Most of the time, she prefers being a silent professional.

1426209963425.png

Members
1,550 posts
8,238 battles

Hey

There are 2 thoughts here; one makes sense, the other idiotic.  First:  If you are in a cruiser that is usually rather squishy and you have short gun range, then sitting behind an island and shooting over it makes a lot of sense.  You cannot get caught out in the open or you get easily deleted.  So it make sense to hide behind an island (as long as your engaged in battle) or sometimes DD's or other ships will set up for an ambush on a ship , which is very reasonable.  Second:  The ones that really make you aggravated are those that will sit behind an island just to not take damage, not shoot their guns, and just want to camp there, hoping they can pop off a few kill secures.  That pisses me off to no end.  Either be an asset to the team or play something else.  Not much different than when you see a whole flock of BB's sitting in the back, back at spawn doing nothing to help your team push.  Or if your in a DD who is trying to grab a cap but has no support from your team at that cap point, why bother.  Much less today, trying to get people to understand the importance of taking out the radar ships first, but no it's all about getting the most damage versus winning the match.   It all comes down to being either being a team player or being a selfish player out to pad your stats. I have NO problem with the first but I loathe the second, and sadly to say it's getting worse these days.

Pete