You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Situation Report Saturday - Moving up the ladder

32 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
900 posts
5,978 battles

Related image

*pictured: Commander. Miho Ootani - captain of the JDS Yamagiri (guided missile destroyer)*

What is your status regarding working your way up the tech or commander tree?

Currently I am working on obtaining my Tier VIII French cruiser, Charles Martel.

I have managed to unlock and research the vessel and am almost finished grinding the credits on it through Random and Scenario battles.

My goal is add Charles Martel to my high-tier battle rotation and prep her and its captain for possible Ranked battle use should Tier VIII be selected again for the next season.

Fleet, what is your current sitrep for moving up the tree or leveling your skipper?

"I've always been more interested in the future than the past." - Grace Hopper, US Navy

#sitrepsaturday

#anchorsaweigh

1015450271.png

• Cool 2

[WORX]
Members
1,870 posts
12,936 battles

Lvl'ing up my special commanders like the Yamamoto for the Yamato. I am also leveling up my other commanders of other nations too. I just feel there is a lot to do which is good.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
19,245 posts
12,789 battles

I'm not specifically grinding for anything, either captain-wise or ship-wise. My Halsey, HSF Isoroku and various Azur Lane captains aren't 19 points yet, but I'm in no particular hurry for that either, it'll happen when it happens.

My next grinding goal will be 750k FXP for Alaska, if she's being sold for FXP and not turn out to be a coal bote.

• Cool 2

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I stopped Playing because of the GRIND for EVERYTHING. It burns you out to quickly. I enjoyed the Fun aspect not the GRINDING With a specific Nation or Ship Type.  

I would rather stop playing than to be told How and What. My enjoyment revolves around My Choices Not War Gaming's Demands.

Yes it is WG's Game and if you want the rewards you have to do what is "required".  This one word makes it a JOB. A Job I don't want or Need. I am Retired and I am looking for Fun,not a Job.

• Cool 2

Members
4,830 posts
5,599 battles

I should be currently sitting on enough exp on Akizuki to unlock Kitakaze when the two new IJN DDs drop. The captain may have to go through a respec though.

• Cool 1

[2CUTE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,265 posts
3,852 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

My next grinding goal will be 750k FXP for Alaska, if she's being sold for FXP and not turn out to be a coal bote.

Same here. I'm about 250k away from having the XP for it. Ironically, the bulk of my 500k XP I currently have is sitting on my Kronshtadt...

• Cool 1

[YORHA]
Members
3,340 posts
1 hour ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

I stopped Playing because of the GRIND for EVERYTHING. It burns you out to quickly. I enjoyed the Fun aspect not the GRINDING With a specific Nation or Ship Type.  

I would rather stop playing than to be told How and What. My enjoyment revolves around My Choices Not War Gaming's Demands.

Yes it is WG's Game and if you want the rewards you have to do what is "required".  This one word makes it a JOB. A Job I don't want or Need. I am Retired and I am looking for Fun,not a Job.

I had a somewhat similar epiphany with the Indy grind.

I got so focused on the daily mission requirements that my overall game play went in the toilet.  It was stressful (well, as stressful as I allow a game to be) and I found, near the end of the grind, that I wasn't even enjoying the game anymore. 

Indy.thumb.jpg.6262b661ac40830b3de8153f600b38a4.jpg

This is what happens when you focus on something other than playing well.

The irony is that, once I finished it, I haven't even looked at the Indy.  It just became something I had to finish... and everything else in the game became secondary.

So no more grinds for me.  I don't worry about daily missions requirements, XP/FXP/CXP grinds or win rate (well... not too much) but rather on finishing one battle at a time and being able to say "Well, I played well in that one".

And I am back to enjoying the game.  Mostly.

Edited by JCC45
  • Cool 3

Supertester
3,004 posts
10,057 battles

Although I have a few 19pt Captains in specific ships, Yamato, Zao, New Mexico (this was my first 19pt Capt. and actually the original Capt. of the ship iirc), Des Moines and trust me, just because I have a few 19pt Captains and some 18 pointers, doesn't mean I am good or even give me an upper hand. lol If anything at times, it hides my "gimpness". Anyway, I find that I am lacking a lot of Captains in my mid-tier ships from leveling the 16-19pt Captains up. So it's going back through my roster, looking for the 10 pointers, reassigning them and starting the process again.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
6,665 posts
25,789 battles

Only grinding 19 point captains and whatever loot you shoot for on a given day (plus slowly for Halsey). I am in no hurry.

Ships? I have every T10 except CVs which I don't do.

I like T6/T7 better anyway.

• Cool 1

[H_]
Members
803 posts

Last week, I earned my first 19 Captain and I'm working on the second one.  The Indy missions were fun and a free ship is always good.  BUT, there's a problem with where this radar nonsense is because we are losing good, long time players.

We don't have enough players as a clan anymore.  Many of us have retired our Tier 9 and 10 ships....  I only play tier 6 through 8 and as of last night, tier 8 may be going away as well: radar is making gameplay NVA.....even at tier 8.  I was in a Tier 6 match the other day and there were 4, tier 8 radar ships !!!  It was a STOMP of biblical proportions.   Radar is a weapon's enhancement tool and ships with radar must be balanced at all levels of play.....radar must be considered in MM.

Once I am finished with my second 19 pointer, I'm cutting back the hours I play and I have stopped spending real $$$.   OP:  you need to take that back to WG....stopped spending $$$.  As one vet to another, WG is getting very close to a crisis situation and I'm on the side that, what is going on is diametrically opposed to the Value Proposition I came to this game for...hooah?!

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[-BSS-]
[-BSS-]
Members
48 posts
6,629 battles

I'm getting close to a 19pt captain on my Des Moines but I'll get that through playing clan wars. Mainly I'm just casually grinding every nation at once since I already got all of the usn line minus the new cl. I'm not really into focusing on one particular grind since that can be frustrating at times.

• Cool 1

[SVF]
Members
199 posts
11,985 battles

I have set a goal for myself of having all the teir tens in the game. Currently I have all the destroyers (that are released), All but one of the cruisers (haven't had time to work the seattle), and got myself a Montana. I'm working the Richelau and Izumo to finish off their respective lines. Waiting in the wings for me are Lion and FDG once I have their captains retrained to their ships.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
3,461 posts
11,780 battles

Charles Martel,  I'm currently grinding her. She is a great ship, even in tier 10 matches.

I'm grinding Monarch and really not hating her.

Just played my 8th battle in Neptune, the new love of my life.

Rediscovered the joy of Udaloi, half way to Grozovoi. 

Grinding tier 9 US cruisers both CA and CL.

On the Iowa, but prefer Missouri. 

Learning Z46.

And wondering why I bought  the German tier 9 battleship. 

Except for carriers the rest of the lines are tier 10.

Grinding new captain for Dallas, a very good ship.

Wishing I had a 19 point on Helena, only played 6 battles and she is a bit tough right now with 14 point captain.

My one, and only one, major gripe is radar. But we shall overcome. 

Fair seas captains.

• Cool 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

Grinding? Yeah, not really doing that right now. My next ship to buy would be the Jianwei, then after that probably Helena, but I've learned not to really focus down a single "grind" until the very tail end so I don't burn out. So my "grind" is basically whatever ships I'm having fun with in the lines I'm working on. I decided to go back and work on my Hindenburg captain, my Cleveland is doing well, I recently took Richelieu and Algerie out of port again after a dry spell, and I've been really liking the Ranger strangely enough. I'm also just over a third of the way to 750k XP, at which point I'll probably have a dilemma of what ship to purchase, or who knows? Maybe I'll just hate the Seattle and blow it all to get past that; I doubt that'll happen, but it's possible.

• Cool 1

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles

Im currently tier 7 Colorado. Using Halloween camo and commander boost signals. Pushing this commander to be my first 19 point commander. Almost to 13th point.  

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
9,800 posts
7,485 battles

I have ground out to Shiratsuyu and Akatsuki in the IJN DD lines. Since I'm not very good at DDs, I'll wait to grind to T8 in both lines.

I'm working on Nagato, Mogami and Ryujo. I would like to get all three before the end of the year, but will probably only get Nagato and Ryujo.

I'm working on Independence, Iowa and Benson. I will probably only get Indy before the end of the year.

I'm working on Helena and Seattle and may get them before the end of the year. I already have Des Moines with a 19pt captain.

I'm working on Shchors and might finish before the end of the year. I got Ognevoi in the RU DD split and have ground to Minsk. So next up are Kiev and Udaloi, but they will wait for me to get better at DDs.

I'm working on Maass and should get it before the end of the year. I'm also working on Hipper and Bismarck, but have a way to go. 

I have Leander and QE, but have a way to go for Fiji and KGV.

I have La Galissoniere, but she and I don't get along well, so getting to Algerie will take time. I got Richelieu from the French missions, but have not played it much. Gascogne is more fun.

I have Fushun but rarely play it, so Gadjah Mada will probably be my last T7 to grind from the T6 ships I have now.

I occasionally grind captains in the Blys, Italian, and Commonwealth ships, but rarely.

I'm not sure when I will get another 19pt captain as I am getting some of my grind ships to 10pt captains.

• Cool 1

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,837 posts
11,180 battles

I have 2 19 point captains ready for the new IJN DD coming, will end up with a spare when I sell the Aki as It wont be worth playing with its nerfs.

Saving Elite XP to create some higher level captains for the British DD line, maybe 3

Finishing off some captains to 19 when the elite XP comes available.

Will eventually build on the special captains I have, and replace 19 pointers I currently have in those ships

Other than that not really playing or grinding anything new, as I enjoy what I am playing now.

• Cool 1

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts

Musashi captain at 18 points, might level the rest of IJN BB after that since DD are such a crapshow right now.

• Cool 1

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles
On 7/14/2018 at 12:17 PM, BURN_Miner said:

Although I have a few 19pt Captains in specific ships, Yamato, Zao, New Mexico (this was my first 19pt Capt. and actually the original Capt. of the ship iirc), Des Moines and trust me, just because I have a few 19pt Captains and some 18 pointers, doesn't mean I am good or even give me an upper hand. lol If anything at times, it hides my "gimpness". Anyway, I find that I am lacking a lot of Captains in my mid-tier ships from leveling the 16-19pt Captains up. So it's going back through my roster, looking for the 10 pointers, reassigning them and starting the process again.

I thought once a captain attains 19 points his xp went into the elite xp pool?

[ARGSY]
Members
6,356 posts
4,288 battles

Grinds ongoing:

British battleships - Queen Elizabeth just attained; ultimate goal is KGV.

Japanese destroyers - currently on Isokaze, ultimate goal is Fubuki (and eventually Shinonome through permanent campaign).

British cruisers - currently on Edinburgh; Neptune unlocked but need a whole lot more credits before I even consider buying her. That likely won"t happen until the remaining grinds top out.

British destroyers - unreleased, but I went back and got Weymouth and put over 2000 XP on her, which should be enough to research Medea when the line is available.

US cruisers - currently on Cleveland (happy to stop there), New Orleans (happy to stop at Baltimore). 

German cruisers - currently on stock Konigsberg, happy to stop there (ETA: I mean at Konigsberg, not leaving her as stock).

French cruisers - currently on Friant, happy to play there for a while; ultimate goal is Tier VI for mission availability.

French battleships - currently on nearly-stock Lyon (just researched the engine upgrade); no clear goal from there. I may go back for Turenne and Courbet when I get some more port slots.

Pan-Asian destroyers - currently on Jianwei, ultimate goal (at a very relaxed pace) is Gadjah Mada.

19 point captain - currently halfway to 15; he has Edinburgh, Gallant, Warspite and Nelson to play in. Will get that one started in earnest when I have taken a bit of a rest from heavy grinding work after the Indy campaign.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
9,800 posts
7,485 battles
37 minutes ago, Sped_Gax said:

I thought once a captain attains 19 points his xp went into the elite xp pool?

It does, but there are two elite pools.

Ships that have been fully upgraded and you have researched the next ship, now gather Elite Ship XP that has no real use, besides being converted to Free XP via doubloons. Very rarely, a line split will be announced and an elite ship will turn back into a regular ship, until you grind the new ship that was added. See Omaha in the recent US cruiser split and Akizuki in the upcoming IJN T9 & T10 DD additions. The T2 Weymouth cruiser will be the same when the UK DDs are added.

Captains who reach 19pts, start getting Elite Cmdr XP. That XP can be used for upgrading or retraining any captain you own. 

I think what @BURN_Miner is doing is going through his captains for the 10 pointers and grinding them up as well. Once you get to T7, having at least a 14pt captain is a good idea. And the more 19 point captains you have, the more ECXP you get.

• Cool 2

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles
3 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

It does, but there are two elite pools.

Ships that have been fully upgraded and you have researched the next ship, now gather Elite Ship XP that has no real use, besides being converted to Free XP via doubloons. Very rarely, a line split will be announced and an elite ship will turn back into a regular ship, until you grind the new ship that was added. See Omaha in the recent US cruiser split and Akizuki in the upcoming IJN T9 & T10 DD additions. The T2 Weymouth cruiser will be the same when the UK DDs are added.

Captains who reach 19pts, start getting Elite Cmdr XP. That XP can be used for upgrading or retraining any captain you own. 

I think what @BURN_Miner is doing is going through his captains for the 10 pointers and grinding them up as well. Once you get to T7, having at least a 14pt captain is a good idea. And the more 19 point captains you have, the more ECXP you get.

Yes i definatly can tell playing in the upper tier battles my captain's are lacking in skills. Luckily tier 7 to tier 8 is a big jump in needed xp. Will help with the captain. 

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
8,594 posts
25,738 battles

Grinding up Seattle in Coop, since she's a POS I will never take to Randoms, so I can get Worcester to enjoy the pew pew pew in Coop with her. Won't be taking Worcester to Randoms either -- high ROF ships are totally unfun to play against, and very bad for the game environment. 

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
6,356 posts
4,288 battles
18 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

The T2 Weymouth cruiser will be the same when the UK DDs are added.

I should go chill in the Weymouth in co-op intermittently between now and the DD release. She's almost certainly not needed anymore (unless there is a heavy cruiser split at low tiers), but she's a useful placeholder until Medea arrives and it would be very nice to have a few thousand more XP on her in case they DO split the line at that level (or, as with Dallas, if Medea's research price turns out to be unexpectedly high).

[PVE]
Members
9,800 posts
7,485 battles
19 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I should go chill in the Weymouth in co-op intermittently between now and the DD release. She's almost certainly not needed anymore (unless there is a heavy cruiser split at low tiers), but she's a useful placeholder until Medea arrives and it would be very nice to have a few thousand more XP on her in case they DO split the line at that level (or, as with Dallas, if Medea's research price turns out to be unexpectedly high).

Well, Longjiang is 450 XP, V-25 & Storozhevoi are 500 XP, and Umikaze & Sampson are 720 XP. So if you have 1k XP you should be good and 2k XP will certainly take care of Medea.. 

• Cool 1