Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Horama

Akizuki realizations

25 comments in this topic

[ML-S]
Members
289 posts
4,190 battles

So after trying out Akizuki last night, I came to an interesting realization about its playstyle, which also explains why I like Harekaze so much.  My friend Svenbane is a destroyer player, and is pretty good, but he hates the Akizuki.  He says she is horrible in every way and his performance in her seems to agree.  I decided to try her out and I actually found her quite comfortable to play, much like when I first purched Harekaze.  I had expected Harekaze’s guns to be just terrible in the 100mm config, but I actually found them fairly comfortable, even without IFHE.  Akizuki felt even more comfortable as a ship than Harekaze when I tried her, so I got to wondering why someone who plays DDs 75% of the time would hate the Destroyer so much while someone who plays DDs less than a quarter of the time found her comfortable.

I believe the answer is in the Akizuki’s setup.  She isn’t a maneuverable DD and has few torps with some rather restrictive angles.  I believe I felt comfortable in her because she more closely resembles cruisers, my most played class, in her design and playstyle than she resembles other gunboat DDs.  Maybe nothing new to most, but I figured I would share my experiences.

• Cool 5

[HINON]
Supertester
19,249 posts
12,800 battles

It's because he expected her to play like a typical Japanese DD and tries to force her into that playstyle. Akizuki can't be played like a regular Japanese DD and be successful.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

Akizuki undoubtedly requires a different play style to the other IJN DDs, even over Harekaze. This difference will only be further amplified by the upcoming Kitakaze and Harugumo. 

But I do enjoy Aki a lot. She is fun, and I'm glad to have her in port.

Beta Testers
1,865 posts
19,077 battles

I enjoy all the Japanese DD's Akizuki Included  

[RLGN]
Members
8,288 posts
17,354 battles

Pretty much the only higher tiered ship I like, and do not openly consider (personally; ymmv,) to be outright useless junk.

Also like the 3/4 Aki, Harekaze.

It’s difficult to say why, since I can’t clearly define ‘my playstyle,’ with IJN destroyers, but both do seem good fits.

[RKLES]
Members
7,229 posts
9,022 battles
1 hour ago, Doomlock said:

Akizuki undoubtedly requires a different play style to the other IJN DDs, even over Harekaze. This difference will only be further amplified by the upcoming Kitakaze and Harugumo. 

But I do enjoy Aki a lot. She is fun, and I'm glad to have her in port.

Does the Akizuki get Torp Reload Booster? Wondering how the tier IX and X are going to be in that line as Gunboat DDs when their rivals get more Torp launchers?

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles
12 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Does the Akizuki get Torp Reload Booster? Wondering how the tier IX and X are going to be in that line as Gunboat DDs when their rivals get more Torp launchers?

Yes she does. In it's own slot that you don't have to switch out. 

Akizuki and her upcoming sisters are not supposed to be focused on their torpedoes anyways. Their primary armament are their rapid fire guns ready for DD hunting and dot stacking.

[RKLES]
Members
7,229 posts
9,022 battles
44 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

Yes she does. In it's own slot that you don't have to switch out. 

Akizuki and her upcoming sisters are not supposed to be focused on their torpedoes anyways. Their primary armament are their rapid fire guns ready for DD hunting and dot stacking.

Still good to have Torps because sometimes they can do a lot more in some situations than your guns can. And that is true even of ships that have a lot better guns than a DD can carry. 

Members
348 posts
8,933 battles

If someone thinks a ship is terrible, they will play it terribly. It goes hand in hand. Negative thinking is toxic and feeds itself into a loop that never ends.

• Bad 1

Members
74 posts
10,181 battles

Aki must be played like a CL with DD concealment. 

Her retarded rudder shift & WIDE turning radius will likley get you killed if you put her in a tight spot you would expect a DD to easily slip out of.

[PT8TO]
Members
1,410 posts
13,339 battles

Picked up the Akizuki the other day having never played any Japanese DD's other than the Shino like 5 games i think.

Now this was also after they nerfed it or buffed it i am not sure which but this ship is amazing to play.

yes it turns so slow and is not all that fast.... but to me it makes it easier to control.

I am really looking forward to the tier IX and X versions if they are anything like this.

Edited by GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND

[SWNG]
Beta Testers
85 posts
3,582 battles
7 hours ago, GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND said:

Picked up the Akizuki the other day having never played any Japanese DD's other than the Shino like 5 games i think.

Now this was also after they nerfed it or buffed it i am not sure which but this ship is amazing to play.

yes it turns so slow and is not all that fast.... but to me it makes it easier to control.

I am really looking forward to the tier IX and X versions if they are anything like this.

Wow! You free XPed all the way to Akizuki? Kudos to you if you learn to play Aki really well then without adapting the quirks of each DD along the way. I too have her and love her, mostly, until I get put into a tier 10 match, then the radar overmatch is a challenge.

To OP, absolutely play her like a CL, btu like a CL, she has little armor to play with. She can contest a cap like a champ but you must be prepared for the inevitable torp launch into your smoke or towards your last detected location by less fortunate gun boats. The latest buff to her guns make her one of my more favorite DDs currently. I am anxiously awaiting the tier 9 and 10 release, with plenty of free XP to get them both upon release. However, many of the CCs seem to favor the tier 9 over the tier 10, so, will play with both and form my own conclusion.

Members
74 posts
10,181 battles

I don't understand why CC's like Kitakaze  more, the Harugumo has:

+22% in HP 

+25% in firepower

+33% in AA

-16% in rudder shift

+0.3km detectability 

....and +100m in turn radius

Edited by teleStraightShooter

Beta Testers
1,418 posts

I also recently got Akizuki and it is a very different ship to other IJNs... for one the guns are functional...and the torpedoes are no different than the shiratsuyu's for all purposes. The torp reloader is a must to get premium for the extra shot.

The rudder/turn is horrendous but.. its literally no different than driving a Mino... and in fact if you play it like a ninja Mino you'll do quite well.

The unnerving thing (for me) is switching from torp-centric to gun-centric play. Im not used to that in a DD. But its fantastic to see a Gearing pop up and KNOW you can deliver a beating if you want to.

The speed though... you can only outrun a Yamato and everything else runs you down. You do need to keep your fights to near max range.

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
2,307 posts
9,899 battles
2 hours ago, Skyfaller said:

You do need to keep your fights to near max range.

Yes, one of the problems I have with the ship. I set up at near max range (smoke or island cover) and the red ships all turn and move out of range, often for reasons that had little to do with my fire. I need to anticipate better.

Members
1,744 posts
9,924 battles
On 8/3/2018 at 3:31 PM, teleStraightShooter said:

I don't understand why CC's like Kitakaze  more, the Harugumo has:

+22% in HP 

+25% in firepower

+33% in AA

-16% in rudder shift

+0.3km detectability 

....and +100m in turn radius

Its simple.

Harugumo while it has all of those things is limited in playing her like a real DD.  Kitakaze is good enough with the listed, but faster, more maneuverable, and has the concealment to do DD things.  Kita will likely be a favorite of mine.

Edited by Destroyer_KuroshioKai

Members
1,744 posts
9,924 battles
On 8/16/2018 at 6:57 PM, Sabot_100 said:

Yes, one of the problems I have with the ship. I set up at near max range (smoke or island cover) and the red ships all turn and move out of range, often for reasons that had little to do with my fire. I need to anticipate better.

I play more opportunistic than a gun boat play style. 

Akizuki I prefer to use my torps to create DCP cool downs for me to follow up on.  Most of my shooting is under 10km.  I will likely play Harugumo and Kitakaze the same way.

[ICBM]
Members
346 posts
5,130 battles
4 hours ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

Its simple.

Harugumo while it has all of those things is limited in playing her like a real DD.  Kitakaze is good enough with the listed, but faster, more maneuverable, and has the concealment to do DD things.  Kita will likely be a favorite of mine.

Yep. Exactly. Harugumo will be much like Khabarovsk in it's role--a DD/CL hybrid. Kitakaze will be more like Grozovoi in that it has the stealth to perform typical DD duties effectively. Still, Harugumo's concealment isn't terrible if you are used to RU DD concealment. I'm looking forward to both ships. (until they get nerfed)

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
2,307 posts
9,899 battles
6 hours ago, mrieder79 said:

Still, Harugumo's concealment isn't terrible if you are used to RU DD concealment.

It still could be terrible. Russian DDs can speed tank while firing.  Enticing the enemy ships to waste shells trying to get a hit. Concealment and radar are minor concerns. Not an option for the Harugumo. Everyone knows it is a sluggish glass cannon so it will be a priority target whenever it gets spotted. It will attract Atlanta levels of attention. The Akizuki has the same issues but at least it  does not always face T10s (I have heard rumors that Akizuki sometimes sees T6 ships, but these are likely drug induced hallucinations).

• Funny 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

I only just got mine yesterday, I've played only a couple of games in it. I'm in love. I love the gunnery, and she may be sluggish for a DD but as a CL captain Akizuki's mobility feels very comfortable. This isn't a destroyer, it's a mini-cruiser without a citadel. Now when the heck are the devs going to acknowledge her historical role and let her swap a consumable for DFAA?

[CVA16]
Members
2,307 posts
9,899 battles
On 8/24/2018 at 11:06 PM, Landsraad said:

Now when the heck are the devs going to acknowledge her historical role and let her swap a consumable for DFAA?

Interesting idea BUT which consumable would you give up to get it? Smoke, TRB, Speed Boost? Especially since CVs are still rare at higher tiers. Now if the CV revamp* makes CVs common, the swap would make more sense.

* soon

[HEROS]
Members
1,431 posts
12,071 battles

Kitakaze is just more flexible as a ship.  simple a better Akizuki... and they didn't even need to nerf the Akizuki to make her look good either (I consider the nerfing of Akizuki to be a fairly silly error.  Kitakaze still has improved AA, the extra upgrade slot, and improved gun range, and the 2 extra torpedo on the launcher.  and she's faster which makes up for a very great deal).

Harugumo, like her tier X counterpart Shimikaze pushes the ship to an extreem of performance in one area (guns for Haru, Torps for Shimi) that both ships loose a bit of flexibility though they should work very well with each other, but on their own the ships are too focused on one particular task.

Kitakaze how ever does have that level of flexibility, just as Yugumo does which is her tier IX counterpart.      

It's difficult for the dev team to show the historical IJN build bias of quality over quantity which Japan practiced due to simple economics.  Japan was only barely able to support the fleet she did have and over all class for class Japans ships were better arrmed, armored and more though even that capability came at a price in most cases simple livability.  Crew comfort and care was not a distingishing feature of IJN ships.  Even American DD would often time have a ship doctor, IJN ships rarely had an extensive medical staff.  That tended to be handled at the flotilla level.  And of course if a flotilla was operating in penny packets away from the flotilla leader (typically a Light cruiser) medical care for injured crew was in the hands of IJN equivelent of a medical rating and his ordinary seaman assitants  (basic trama care and treatment, and limited facilities on board).

I've played IJN ships in full out naval sims and they very defiantly have their strengths.  But by 1943 US ship production of ships specifically designed to counter IJN class was in full swing and pumping the ships out like clockwork.  The US could replace its combat losses, Japan could not.  Eventually they just ran out of navy.

The Akizuki, and super Akizuki (ie:Kitakaze) were real ships but only a bare hand full of the super Akizuki made it to sea trials which were very limited to to the fuel situation. None of the super Akizuki finished trials before the war ended and never "officially" entered service.  Harugumo however total paper ship.  And possibly not even a real paper ship other then as a design study.

Thought I'd throw in a little context and backround.

Good ships all, but the game does not showcase the full capability of Akizuki, Kitakaze, or Harugumo.  If they did the terrible trio would be fairly seriously OP as they would have an AA consumable and radar in addition to everything else they can do.

• Cool 1

[NFE]
Members
45 posts
2,807 battles
On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 5:34 AM, Horama said:

I got to wondering why someone who plays DDs 75% of the time would hate the Destroyer so much while someone who plays DDs less than a quarter of the time found her comfortable.

It could also be the small sample size. I feel real comfortable in my Akatsuki when I get 100k damage, but real uncomfortable when I get sunk quickly with only 1.5k damage. And I've had plenty games of each.

Beta Testers
1,418 posts

Yep. Akizuki requires a very different playstyle than other DDs...and most likely its the same style you need for tier 9 and 10. 

Play them like the love child of light cruisers and PT boats. 

shot-18.09.07_14.14.18-0734.jpg

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
62 posts
3,249 battles

Once I got it, it quickly became my favorite boat. But the style is totally different. However the new Kitakaze is really the boat to play. It is just a better boat and has better torp options and one extra upgrade slot. The problem with the Akizuki is that you are going to get uptiered most of the time. I struggled to keep a 50% win rate in her but am running around %55 in the Kitakaze. And I am am a pretty much meh boat driver at best. 

Sign in to follow this