You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sweetsie

Server questions

29 comments in this topic

Members
2,600 posts
12,485 battles

Just played a game early in the A.M. here in the States and asked everyone where they were from.. And got responses from Sweden Japan, one stationed in Okinawa, and of course several said they were from Uranus. I certainly understand U.S. service men and women playing on the NA server but why would Euros and other countries not play on servers designated for that region of the world. Are the severs all in the same spot and geographical ping or connections the same world wide or does it make a difference as to speed and performance based on where you are from and proximity to the server. Or does the NA server have more players or less players and there is a good reason to play on this server vs others? Just bi-server curious.

Or am I just out of date and getting to old to keep up with this stuff anymore.

• Cool 1

[HYDRO]
Members
1,585 posts
3,753 battles

I started on the NA server partly because of the Murmansk Humble Bundle that gave access to the CBT, and partly because the EU community tends to be more toxic.I wanted something different and NA fits the bill. Ping is 100ish so no real problems. Even my hours, since I tend to play late at night (EU night) help me play during peak times in the NA.

Edited by warheart1992

Members
2,600 posts
12,485 battles
3 minutes ago, Cruiser_Noshiro said:

I rather everyone speaking English

ah, never thought about that...

[CUTE]
Supertester
4,093 posts
4,164 battles
11 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

ah, never thought about that...

Asia server for tanks at least was 60% [][][][][]

[HINON]
Supertester
19,245 posts
12,789 battles
23 minutes ago, Cruiser_Noshiro said:

I rather everyone speaking english

That, and my WoT account was on the NA server as well, which in turn was a result of most of my friends being from the US when the original server split happened in WoT, years ago

The ping is not really an issue - ping starts to matter when it's either unstable or you're playing a twitch reaction game. Neither is the case for me here, my ping is ~120 steady and this game is more about positioning, target prioritization and careful aim than twitch reactions anyways.

I'm playing from mainland europe, btw, the Netherlands. Which, no, is not the same as 'Holland'.

Members
18,276 posts
5,224 battles
24 minutes ago, Lert said:

The ping is not really an issue - ping starts to matter when it's either unstable or you're playing a twitch reaction game. Neither is the case for me here, my ping is ~120 steady and this game is more about positioning, target prioritization and careful aim than twitch reactions anyways.

Agreed. Back when I played BF1942 Forgotten Hope, my favorite server was in Europe, and I got 120 ping. Never an issue, even with the twitchy stuff.

24 minutes ago, Lert said:

I'm playing from mainland europe, btw, the Netherlands. Which, no, is not the same as 'Holland'.

Exactly. Holland is where they wear wooden shoes, and where all the dikes and windmills are....:cap_haloween:

Another reason for playing here could be time zones too, although I don't know how the NA and EU server pops compare at 2 am in Europe.

• Bad 1

Members
2,600 posts
12,485 battles
34 minutes ago, Lert said:

That, and my WoT account was on the NA server as well, which in turn was a result of most of my friends being from the US when the original server split happened in WoT, years ago

Why does the Netherlands call themselves The Netherlands, but it is Holland and they are called Dutch? Why not the Nethers or the Holls? why do they get three names. Seems like unfair MM to me.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,245 posts
12,789 battles
18 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

Why does the Netherlands call themselves The Netherlands, but it is Holland and they are called Dutch? Why not the Nethers or the Holls? why do they get three names. Seems like unfair MM to me.

Ok, even knowing you're trolling ...

Calling the Netherlands 'Holland' is akin to me calling America 'New York'. Holland is just an area in the Netherlands, consisting of two provinces, being Noord Holland en Zuid Holland. As for Dutch people being called Dutch, blame the English for that - in the Netherlands we call ourselves 'Nederlanders'. The old English word Dutch (Related to Dutchy / Duchy / Duke / Duchess) used to just mean 'people' or 'nation', like 'a nation of people'. Over the years they have started using the word Dutch to mean 'the people over there, across the channel, in that area over there' meaning the Netherlands and Germany. Fun fact, this is also the origin of the word 'Deutschland' for Germany ... As the centuries progressed, 'Dutch' simply came to mean 'the people from the Netherlands'

So, no, the Dutch people aren't called Dutch. We're called Nederlanders. It's just that silly English speakers have not got with the program but elected to keep using their archaic words.

<Edit> You also asked why the Netherlands is called the Netherlands. This is a translation of the Dutch word 'Nederland' which literally means 'Low land'. Our country is called that because a portion of it is at or below the water level of the surrounding waters and lower than other nearby countries.

• Cool 2

Members
2,600 posts
12,485 battles
13 minutes ago, Lert said:

Ok, even knowing you're trolling ...

Calling the Netherlands 'Holland' is akin to me calling America 'New York'. Holland is just an area in the Netherlands, consisting of two provinces, being Noord Holland en Zuid Holland. As for Dutch people being called Dutch, blame the English for that - in the Netherlands we call ourselves 'Nederlanders'. The old English word Dutch used to just mean 'people' or 'nation', like 'a nation of people'. Over the years they have started using the word Dutch to mean 'the people over there, across the channel, in that area over there' meaning the Netherlands and Germany. Fun fact, this is also the origin of the word 'Deutschland' for Germany ... As the centuries progressed, 'Dutch' simply came to mean 'the people from the Netherlands'

So, no, the Dutch people aren't called Dutch. We're called Nederlanders. It's just that silly English speakers have not got with the program but elected to keep using their archaic words.

<Edit> You also asked why the Netherlands is called the Netherlands. This is a translation of the Dutch word 'Nederland' which literally means 'Low land'. Our country is called that because a portion of it is at or below the water level of the surrounding waters and lower than other nearby countries.

While I was kidding around, ty very much for the information! Now on to important things like why were you guys not in the World Cup!!!!!!!!

[HINON]
Supertester
19,245 posts
12,789 battles
2 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

why were you guys not in the World Cup!!!!!!!!

IKR?

We used to be considered 'one of the best nations to never actually win a WC', but the past two years we've not even managed to qualify for the first round, European Championship 2 years ago and the WC now.

pPdNZ3c.jpg

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
2 hours ago, Sweetsie said:

Just played a game early in the A.M. here in the States and asked everyone where they were from.. And got responses from Sweden Japan, one stationed in Okinawa, and of course several said they were from Uranus. I certainly understand U.S. service men and women playing on the NA server but why would Euros and other countries not play on servers designated for that region of the world. Are the severs all in the same spot and geographical ping or connections the same world wide or does it make a difference as to speed and performance based on where you are from and proximity to the server. Or does the NA server have more players or less players and there is a good reason to play on this server vs others? Just bi-server curious.

All the other server accounts are separate, I created an account on all of them, there is a tool called WOWS Realms Tool which makes it easy to change between them so you don't have to have a separate game installation for each. They're definitely located elsewhere which is apparent just from the ping times (although I only ever actually played the EU one) and because you have to start new accounts for each there aren't great reasons to play them really. I just wanted to see different metas but once I had to start in the tutorial at T1 or 2 I only lasted like an hour.

EDIT: That also means your dubloons and whatnot don't follow you. If you use someone's recruitment link it will give you a Texas or something equivalent if you stick around long enough to hit T5 and like a million or so credits and a port slot or something (you get the latter up front).

Edited by w4spl3g

Beta Testers
1,865 posts
19,071 battles

Achtung  Deutschland Uber Alles  …   It would be nice if WG allowed us a choice as to what server we want to play any time or day of the week

[ANZ4C]
Beta Testers
559 posts

Ignoring the already mentioned english language, friends and legacy accounts, have you ever tried to switch servers?

WG: mumble, mumble, technical difficulties, no... youre in NA forever, deal with it.... mumble.

[NSEW]
[NSEW]
Members
422 posts
8,224 battles

I have made an EU account when I initially started. Then realised that most of my friends play on NA server, so I've made another one.

My EU account is dormant, whereas my NA account is active.

I reside in EU (not much longer).

[BIAS]
Members
3,154 posts
9,272 battles

Even though I live in Canada, I decided early on to play on the NA server.

[PNP]
Members
393 posts
2,967 battles
5 hours ago, Sweetsie said:

As others said, some people from the SEA server like Aussies move to the NA because they want majority English speakers. Others have different reasons which can include (but not limited to) a different meta, where it differs server to server, SEA being a cruiser kitefest. 

Members
2,600 posts
12,485 battles
1 minute ago, RighteousRhyno said:

As others said, some people from the SEA server like Aussies move to the NA because they want majority English speakers. Others have different reasons which can include (but not limited to) a different meta, where it differs server to server, SEA being a cruiser kitefest. 

Its funny that I am so naïve to my own question. The US (and our Canucks to the North, except kaybek) are so secluded from other countries and languages that it is easy to forget many countries in Europe are like our states here in the US.

[RKLES]
Members
7,216 posts
9,006 battles
4 hours ago, Lert said:

Yeah think I heard of Netherland, isn’t it part of the Netherworld of the Force that they talked about in Star Wars? :cap_book:

[WOLF3]
Members
6,473 posts
2,422 battles
1 hour ago, Ducky_shot said:

Even though I live in Canada, I decided early on to play on the NA server.

Uhhh..  What?  Did Canadia decide to secede from North America?  :-P

What are we to call y'all now, Canuckistan?

Edited by iDuckman

[ANZ4C]
Beta Testers
559 posts
27 minutes ago, Seadog_Supreme said:

We win the Superbowl every year.

pretty good odds you'll take the world series too

[BIAS]
Members
3,154 posts
9,272 battles
48 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Uhhh..  What?  Did Canadia decide to secede from North America?  :-P

What are we to call y'all now, Canuckistan?

I felt like I had to liven up my response somehow and get someone to do a double take.... lol

Edited by Ducky_shot

[PSP]
Members
6,321 posts
8,942 battles
5 hours ago, Lert said:

Calling the Netherlands 'Holland' is akin to me calling America 'New York'. Holland is just an area in the Netherlands

Most Americans are never taught that in school. I always thought that "Netherlands" and, "Holland" were synonyms. We do learn a bit about the Netherlands in American school though. I recall reading "Hans Brinker and the Silver Skates," learning about the Tulip Mania, and the Dutch East India Company, to name a few. Dutch immigrants play a role in American folklore in the "Lost Dutchman Mine" and the "Flying Dutchman." Lots of put places have Dutch names too. I used to travel down Ten Eyck Road on my way to holding stream survey classes on Mt. Hood.  Before I looked up the name, I sort of wondered what an Eyck was and why there should be ten of them. Oh yes, and speaking of New York City, your country used to own it.