You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dcfan

The guns of the USS Salem

8 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
132 posts
3,049 battles

Okay all you wanna-be land-lubbing Popeyes!! You wanna learn how to shoot?? Take a look at this training film about the the 3.55 and 8 inch 50 auto guns mounted on the USS Salem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICifnf63lCs

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
132 posts
3,049 battles

make sure to check out the comment section below for extra tips from REAL veterans!!

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,254 posts
7,771 battles

I actually visited the USS Salem last week, was really cool to crawl around in the guns and the ship.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
8,267 posts
17,289 battles

Yeah... DM needs a crazy high sigma to represent it's fire control systems...

All the paper napkins beat it just about every other way; they shouldn't be allowed to beat it's proven gun systems.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,803 posts
15,265 battles
6 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

All the paper napkins beat it just about every other way; they shouldn't be allowed to beat it's proven gun systems.

Amen to that!

[KNTAI]
Beta Testers
1,273 posts
9,462 battles
22 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Yeah... DM needs a crazy high sigma to represent it's fire control systems...

That is how it tends to go though. A vehicle that was out and about, got its hands dirty, found the unexpected bugs and fixed them will always be beaten by something on paper. The reason being, the paper has no bugs. I can write on paper my ship goes 45 knots and it wouldn't be discovered it could not actually achieve that under normal conditions until it was built and trials run.

This was found in systems often enough, for example, Furutaka was designed to have a fire rate of its main guns of 3 to 5 rounds per minute, however, in practice, they could only maintain 2 rounds per minute at best. Therefor, if Furutaka was a paper design, it would have 5 rounds per minute fire rate.

Edited by Battleship_lowa

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,047 posts
2 hours ago, Battleship_lowa said:

That is how it tends to go though. A vehicle that was out and about, got its hands dirty, found the unexpected bugs and fixed them will always be beaten by something on paper. The reason being, the paper has no bugs. I can write on paper my ship goes 45 knots and it wouldn't be discovered it could not actually achieve that under normal conditions until it was built and trials run.

This was found in systems often enough, for example, Furutaka was designed to have a fire rate of its main guns of 3 to 5 rounds per minute, however, in practice, they could only maintain 2 rounds per minute at best. Therefor, if Furutaka was a paper design, it would have 5 rounds per minute fire rate.

There is a current rapid fire gun system found on every class of ship and from what I've seen pretty much every nation has a version of it as well the Vulcan Phalanx Cannon protects Missile Cruisers to Air Craft Carriers :cap_cool:  I'd have given a link but I haven't had all that great a luck doing that:Smile_sad: However those gun's help keep our boys safe from the missiles that have made Most Auto Gun Systems Obsolete:Smile_playing::Smile_izmena:

Edited by shadowsrmine