You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_Dracarys

list of interesting physics in this game

38 comments in this topic

[TNG]
Members
821 posts
6,189 battles
  1. radar can go thru islands
  2. deep water torpedo goes under sunken DD that is 90% below water

add your observation and i will include it in the list

[PVE]
Members
9,741 posts
7,472 battles
1 minute ago, _Dracarys said:
  1. radar can go thru islands
  2. deep water torpedo goes under sunken DD that is 90% below water

add your observation and i will include it in the list

Hydro goes through islands.

Vision goes through islands.

[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
255 posts
3,194 battles

I can run into an island to get my ship spun an extra few degrees in order to get a shot/torp off.

Then after hitting said island at 25-30 knots I can just back off it no problem.

[ARMDA]
Members
8,993 posts
3,574 battles

I can ground my ship without turning into the Costa Concordia.

• Funny 1

Members
471 posts
12,465 battles

Ordinance can explode on a ship and cause no damage after the area is "saturated".

In reality the additional stress on the area would be a damage multiplier.

Beta Testers
537 posts
2,035 battles

AA guns can shoot through superstructures.

Torpedoes magically spawn in their tubes in about a minute.

The Damage Control fairy can solve literally every problem instantly, but the magic takes a minute and a half to recharge.

Members
3,470 posts
6,173 battles

Since it is an arcade game - physics should be a bit wacky.  After all - can't really 'fly' a ship in space either.

Members
409 posts
1,503 battles
5 hours ago, Prothall said:

Ordinance can explode on a ship and cause no damage after the area is "saturated".

In reality the additional stress on the area would be a damage multiplier.

It gets worse. If the shell goes right through the saturated area it does damage.

Members
448 posts
7,474 battles

CV drops where my ship is parked smack dab next to a large mountainous island behind a tall cliff and yet the planes can make a near vertical dive down the cliff face and drop a perfect spread of torps into your ship.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,044 posts
5 hours ago, GuntherPrein said:

BB have no probs hitting me at 13 km 'Or More' in A DD

2 minutes ago, Dr_Powderfinger said:

CV drops where my ship is parked smack dab next to a large mountainous island and yet the planes can make a near vertical dive down the cliff face and drop a perfect spread of torps into your ship.

This is hard to believe as well  I was given to believe there had to be at least a minimum arming and or dropping distance interesting how the rules can change at the drop of a hat at times:Smile_sceptic::Smile_facepalm:

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

A ship with a top speed of 30 knots can easily travel 20 km in 20 minutes.

Members
18,241 posts
5,215 battles
3 hours ago, CylonRed said:

Since it is an arcade game - physics should be a bit wacky.  After all - can't really 'fly' a ship in space either.

I've always pondered that about space games, especially fighter combat. Very few games let you do things you would be able to do in space. Got a bandit on your six? Spin around in combination with your evasive maneuvering, and shoot back. Why bank when turning, letting G-forces cause blackouts, when you can turn just as sharply without changing attitude?

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
9,741 posts
7,472 battles
31 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I've always pondered that about space games, especially fighter combat. Very few games let you do things you would be able to do in space. Got a bandit on your six? Spin around in combination with your evasive maneuvering, and shoot back. Why bank when turning, letting G-forces cause blackouts, when you can turn just as sharply without changing attitude?

Looks like the Babylon 5 space game "I've found her" is still going on. It's flight controls are what you are looking for. No banking like a plane.

http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/pc/windows-games/babylon-5-i;ve-found-her/

[S0L0]
Members
225 posts
5,425 battles

flooding clauses an explosion.

flooding don't induce a list while it's happening

torps detonate regardless of angling

HE damage zone is a cube

however, i do have to say, a lot of sinking animations are physically on point! 

[YARRR]
Members
401 posts
4,759 battles

DDs carry torpedo reloads that weigh more than the total displacement of the ship.

Most ships actually run at 200 or so MPH.

When general quarters is sounded, the crew of capital ships turns to and floods the deck and superstructure with aviation fuel.

The sea is always smooth as glass.

• Cool 1

Members
3,470 posts
6,173 battles
9 hours ago, Skpstr said:

Eve Online, Star Citizen, Fractured Space, and Elite: Dangerous will do what you want as well.

Members
1,034 posts
95 battles
18 hours ago, Prothall said:

Not quite. A shell doesn't do damage to that 'saturated' section of the ship, yet it still does damage to the entire hull HP. Normal HE pen does 1/6 of listed damage to the compartment and 1/6 of listed damage to the entire hull HP, or 1/3 of listed damage combined for both sources. When a compartment is saturated, penetrating hit only does the damage to the entire hull  so you only get 1/6 of the listed damage per hit, but you never do 0 damage.

[BBC]
Members
933 posts
12,325 battles
19 hours ago, Stand_Alone97 said:

I can run into an island to get my ship spun an extra few degrees in order to get a shot/torp off.

Then after hitting said island at 25-30 knots I can just back off it no problem.

In beta you ran aground you sunk yourself. This was too hard for everyone and was changed to the current system.

Members
471 posts
12,465 battles
47 minutes ago, geser98 said:

Not quite. A shell doesn't do damage to that 'saturated' section of the ship, yet it still does damage to the entire hull HP. Normal HE pen does 1/6 of listed damage to the compartment and 1/6 of listed damage to the entire hull HP, or 1/3 of listed damage combined for both sources. When a compartment is saturated, penetrating hit only does the damage to the entire hull  so you only get 1/6 of the listed damage per hit, but you never do 0 damage.

Except when you hit a module, but I see your point.

I was more referencing a ship taking 8 torpedo his in the same spot, In the game it is zero damage, in reality it would eventually fracture the keel and break the ship in two.

Members
409 posts
1,503 battles
2 hours ago, geser98 said:

I don't know where you got that idea but this simply isn't true. Here is the relevant wiki link.

Have a video of Yamato winning against 12 Minotaur by taking everything up the [edited].

Beta Testers
1,415 posts
21 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

Hydro goes through islands.

Vision goes through islands.

actually, sound does go around objects and this is something that sonar operators know how to 'read'.

Line of sight, 'eyes',  does not go through islands.

Members
1,034 posts
95 battles
34 minutes ago, Kochira said:

I don't know where you got that idea but this simply isn't true. Here is the relevant wiki link.

Oh, simply the official "How it works" video. Start at 3 minutes.

12 minutes ago, Skyfaller said:

Line of sight, 'eyes',  does not go through islands.

Proximity detection does. If you're within, can't remember the numbers exactly, 2km of another ship, you will detect them even if that ship is behind island.

Edited by geser98