You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Fruta_mala

Using personal stats to improve? Which ones?

7 comments in this topic

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Members
80 posts
5,413 battles

I'm trying to look at my stats for indications of how to improve.  I have read many a forum post and many YT vids on how to play.  I think I understand a moderate level of "how to play" stuff like map skills, situational awareness, aim, and so forth.  I'd like to use existing stats sites to figure out what skills or techniques I should focus on more than others.   What does one look for?  Most forum discussions on stats devolve into arguments about what stats help you compare yourself to others.  I'm not looking to compare my stats to anyone except myself over time.  

I get that improving numbers means you are improving, and higher numbers are better than lower numbers.  But a mediocre WR doesn't tell me where I need to improve, just that I need to improve.  PR and/or WTR both focus on damage, kills and wins so, OK, those numbers probably matter even if a lot of people argue about which is more important.    I would also assume just focusing on one stat can lead you to farming that stat (on purpose or subconsciously), so I assume it's more complicated than that.

It's gonna take forever to rack up 10000 games, so I'm just looking for a more efficient way to improve other than long term osmosis or the random flash of epiphany.    Any ideas?  I'm not very sociable but as long as I'm playing a team game with other humans I'd like to contribute to everyone's happytime success and not ruin 11 people's 20 minutes over and over.  Real life isn't going to let me practice enough to become a "Thank the God's hes on our team" super player. 

Help?

Thanks!

[PVE]
Members
9,953 posts
7,492 battles
22 hours ago, Fruta_mala said:

I'm trying to look at my stats for indications of how to improve.  I have read many a forum post and many YT vids on how to play.  I think I understand a moderate level of "how to play" stuff like map skills, situational awareness, aim, and so forth.  I'd like to use existing stats sites to figure out what skills or techniques I should focus on more than others.   What does one look for?  Most forum discussions on stats devolve into arguments about what stats help you compare yourself to others.  I'm not looking to compare my stats to anyone except myself over time.  

I get that improving numbers means you are improving, and higher numbers are better than lower numbers.  But a mediocre WR doesn't tell me where I need to improve, just that I need to improve.  PR and/or WTR both focus on damage, kills and wins so, OK, those numbers probably matter even if a lot of people argue about which is more important.    I would also assume just focusing on one stat can lead you to farming that stat (on purpose or subconsciously), so I assume it's more complicated than that.

It's gonna take forever to rack up 10000 games, so I'm just looking for a more efficient way to improve other than long term osmosis or the random flash of epiphany.    Any ideas?  I'm not very sociable but as long as I'm playing a team game with other humans I'd like to contribute to everyone's happytime success and not ruin 11 people's 20 minutes over and over.  Real life isn't going to let me practice enough to become a "Thank the God's hes on our team" super player. 

Help?

Thanks!

Hit rate on your main guns is important. That usually means that you are doing more damage. If your hit rate goes up, but you aren't doing more damage, start looking closer at your shell selection. You can check out how your shells are hitting in game by having the ribbons activated. If you see lots of shatters or bounces you might need to adjust your aim and/or switch shells.

Survival rate is also important. Surviving longer means more time to do damage. More time to take and defend caps. More time to disrupt the red team's plans. Don't hide in the back to survive longer, but don't YOLO either. I think finding the balance of caution and aggressiveness is one of the harder things to get done well in this game. All the more as there are no specific rules on how to do that as every game is different.

Also watch the kind of damage that you are doing. Fire damage is fully healable. It is fine to do fire damage as long as it is helping you sink the enemy. Burning a BB down to low health is great as long as your team sinks him. Letting a low health BB go dark and heal back the fire damage is harder on your team as you have to bring him down again.

• Cool 1

[WLDD]
Beta Testers
145 posts
5,070 battles

I've written both an article and a guide that might provide you with some help. First the Guide.

http://warshipnews.blog/2017/12/12/intermediate-guide-to-becoming-a-better-player/

It's pretty long but covers quite a bit and though I wrote it over 5 months ago, most of the information should still be relevant

As for the article, it focuses on how to use stats to your advantage.

http://warshipnews.blog/2017/04/23/using-stats-to-your-advantage-reading-the-available-data/

• Cool 1

[VFW]
Members
942 posts
21,295 battles

I'll just keep it simple in this order....Avg XP, Hit %, Avg Damage, contribution to capture/defense, ...then way out last...Win rate.

So, if you play the objective, can hit what you aim at (in the right places), and help the team...those are the important things to track.

Vr,

• Cool 1

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Members
80 posts
5,413 battles
On 7/14/2018 at 6:58 PM, Kizarvexis said:

Hit rate on your main guns is important. That usually means that you are doing more damage.

Survival rate is also important.

I'm not sure what's harder to figure out,  the 'don't suicide/don't play passive' balance for a cruiser or for a battleship.  

11 hours ago, SnipeySnipes said:

I've written both an article and a guide that might provide you with some help. First the Guide.

http://warshipnews.blog/2017/12/12/intermediate-guide-to-becoming-a-better-player/

It's pretty long but covers quite a bit and though I wrote it over 5 months ago, most of the information should still be relevant

As for the article, it focuses on how to use stats to your advantage.

http://warshipnews.blog/2017/04/23/using-stats-to-your-advantage-reading-the-available-data/

SnipeySnipes I may have to read your guides a couple of times through.  That's a lot of good stuff.  Not sure how I missed it till now.

11 hours ago, TexJapan said:

I'll just keep it simple in this order....Avg XP, Hit %, Avg Damage, contribution to capture/defense, ...then way out last...Win rate.

If I could get my win rate stop wobbling at the same % I'd feel better about whether I was actually improving or not.

I really appreciate everyone who took the time to respond. 

Interesting common theme...Hit rate.  I've not really paid attention to that at all.  It's easy to see my XP and damage ratings are rising on stats sites, but I've no idea where to see how my hit % is progressing. I can't find any stats sites that track hit % progression.  I guess that makes it easy for a newer player to ignore it.

Thanks all!

[PVE]
Members
9,953 posts
7,492 battles
17 minutes ago, Fruta_mala said:

I'm not sure what's harder to figure out,  the 'don't suicide/don't play passive' balance for a cruiser or for a battleship.  

I play cruisers and battleships in roughly equal amounts in PvP and they are both hard to balance caution and aggressiveness with. I tend to be too aggressive when I play.

DDs present their own challenges, but I'm a really bad DD player. I have only played CVs twice in PvP, so I can't talk about those.

For hit rate, you can look at the Players tab on the worldofwarships.com website to see your player stats. You can get your overall hit rate and your hit rate on individual ships. You can do the same for na.wows-numbers.com. Warshpis today came back, but I can only find the hit rate (MBH & TH) for individual ships, not overall.

pics    Yes, I'm a potato, but less of a potato than in the past.  :Smile_child::Smile_teethhappy: 

Spoiler

Main page

05n98mf.jpg

WoWs Player stats

PW0k5sl.jpg

UeZ3D3g.jpg

na.wows-numbers.com

bkUl8bk.jpg

zgPqHXh.jpg

Click on details for the pop-up

warships today

main battery hit-rate MBH and torpedo hit-rate TH

XzybNf8.jpg

• Cool 1

[WLDD]
Beta Testers
145 posts
5,070 battles

@Fruta_malaTo append to my first post, I just finished an article about Personal Rating (PR) to compliment my one on WTR. These articles break down both of the stat metrics to explain them better and, should you wish to boost your numbers, places to focus.

PR - http://warshipnews.blog/2018/07/17/deconstruction-of-pr-personal-rating/

WTR - http://warshipnews.blog/2017/06/28/analysis-and-deconstruction-of-wtr/

• Cool 1