Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Blackgunner

Gaming & Speech

54 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Beta Testers
199 posts
458 battles

Siege players that use slurs in the ingame chat are now being instantly banned. That was the headline I woke up to today.  And for the first time in my gaming life I was like, "It's about darn time."

 

Hate speech and slurs have no place in any part of society, in any medium.  I can't tell you how many games I've played with people calling people the N word or F word or so on and so on.  It's ridiculous, and should not be even remotely tolerated. 

 

I'm proud to see a company that is shutting down these kind of players immediately when it detects these words and variations used to 'slip by' censors used in chat.

 

I sincerely hope that Wargaming follows suit by reviewing the systems put in place on other games and taking steps to integrate it into their own services.

 

From a news story: "The first offence is a 27 minute ban.  The second and third offences are both 2 hour bans.  A further offence will launch a full scale investigation into the account with the possibility of a perma-ban."

 

All of these bans are automatically implemented with no 'initial' warnings or moderator interaction needed.  If you wouldn't say it IRL, then you know you shouldn't say it online; and it takes that common sense and runs with it. 

 

We need to stop showing the community it's okay for hate speech to go unchallenged.  The hammer should be dropped without hesitation, immediately.

  • Cool 15
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,801
[SALVO]
Members
17,072 posts
17,737 battles
3 minutes ago, Blackgunner said:

Siege players that use slurs in the ingame chat are now being instantly banned.  That was the headline I woke up to today.  And for the first time in my gaming life I was like, "It's about darn time."

 

Hate speech and slurs have no place in any part of society, in any medium.  I can't tell you how many games I've played with people calling people the N word or F word or so on and so on.  It's ridiculous, and should not be even be remotely tolerated. 

 

I'm proud to see a company that is shutting down these kind of players immediately when it detects these words and variations used to 'slip by' censors used in chat.

 

I sincerely hope that Wargaming follows suit by reviewing the systems put in place on other games and taking steps to integrate it into their own services.

 

From a news story: "The first offence is a 27 minute ban.  The second and third offences are both 2 hour bans.  A further offence will launch a full scale investigation into the account with the possibility of a perma-ban."

 

We need to stop showing the community it's okay for hate speech to go unchallenged.  The hammer should be dropped without hesitation, immediately.

While I agree with you to a degree, and would like to see WG implement something like this, I do worry that more public bans on "hate speech" would go too far.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,305 posts
21,091 battles
9 minutes ago, Blackgunner said:

Hate speech and slurs have no place in any part of society, in any medium.  I can't tell you how many games I've played with people calling people the N word or F word or so on and so on.  It's ridiculous, and should not be even remotely tolerated. 

Boo Hoo.  Nut up and get over it.  It's just pixel people talking, so it means naught.

  • Cool 7
  • Bad 14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
199 posts
458 battles
5 minutes ago, Crucis said:

While I agree with you to a degree, and would like to see WG implement something like this, I do worry that more public bans on "hate speech" would go too far.

It is important that people know the difference between hate speech and people having an opinion they don't particularly like or agree with.

  • Cool 1
  • Bad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
599
[ARRGG]
Members
4,732 posts
7,572 battles
4 minutes ago, slokill_1 said:

Boo Hoo.  Nut up and get over it.  It's just pixel people talking, so it means naught.

You need to grow up!!!

  • Cool 5
  • Bad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
315
[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
14,608 battles

ROFL people need to man up if words on the internet hurt you my god there is no hope for you at all in the real world... I certainly don't care what you say to me I wont ever lose sleep over what anybody says to me I grew up in the real world and learned early that peoples words mean nothing

  • Cool 8
  • Bad 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
389
[POP]
Members
1,235 posts
8,289 battles
12 minutes ago, GuntherPrein said:

ROFL people need to man up if words on the internet hurt you my god there is no hope for you at all in the real world... I certainly don't care what you say to me I wont ever lose sleep over what anybody says to me I grew up in the real world and learned early that peoples words mean nothing

People's words DO mean things. 

To some people, it means that they can't trust their fellow citizens. It means that hate is not only promoted, but accepted among the rest of the society. Whether you use those words or don't, by remaining silent about it tells your fellow people that you are not interested in them, their feelings, or how society treats them. 

It's not about the words, it's about how people treat other human beings.

Finally, WG and other gaming companies are private entities, they are not the US government, and can ban people for whatever they want. 

  • Cool 4
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,305 posts
21,091 battles
29 minutes ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:
34 minutes ago, slokill_1 said:

Boo Hoo.  Nut up and get over it.  It's just pixel people talking, so it means naught.

You need to grow up!!!

No!  YOU need to grow up.

Edited by slokill_1
  • Cool 2
  • Bad 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,305 posts
21,091 battles
17 minutes ago, GuntherPrein said:

ROFL people need to man up if words on the internet hurt you my god there is no hope for you at all in the real world... I certainly don't care what you say to me I wont ever lose sleep over what anybody says to me I grew up in the real world and learned early that peoples words mean nothing

Your callous disregard for the feelings of other pixel people has been noted.  Many pixel snowflakes would be seething with rage but they're worried they might melt.  Well done.   

  • Cool 3
  • Bad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,305 posts
21,091 battles

OK I suspect this might get locked....so in the interest of forum harmony I say....um..er...hmmmm....I can't think of anything to say.

  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
199 posts
458 battles

This whole topic isn't about 'being a man' or whatnot.  It's about something that should not occur in society in the first place.  It's nice that a person has the ability to shrug things off.  That doesn't change the fact that they shouldn't have to.  That is what this thread is about.  Don't get it confused.

 

Thankfully, so far most of the community has been positive and constructive.

  • Cool 1
  • Bad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
93
[LANCE]
Members
309 posts
3,258 battles
14 minutes ago, GuntherPrein said:

ROFL people need to man up if words on the internet hurt you my god there is no hope for you at all in the real world... I certainly don't care what you say to me I wont ever lose sleep over what anybody says to me I grew up in the real world and learned early that peoples words mean nothing

While I agree with you to a certain point of view I also agree with OP on some of his points also! I was always taught “Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me!”. The problem comes from the anonymity of the internet! How many people that spout off in game(s), social media, blogs would DARE say 99% of the things they say on the internet in real life if that person they were saying it to stood in front of them?

The problem we really have is that this anonymity has gone a step to far! I’ve been told “I hope your family die of cancer!!” or “I hope you die in a fire!” simply because I didn’t play a tank/ship etc the way that person thought I should play! Again, does anyone think that this person would say it to me in real life ?? I doubt it!!

Mt worry is though that the more this carries on, the more censorship will be put in place to deal with stuff like this!

Ideally people would grow a bit thicker skinned and the others would tone it down a LOT! I don’t want to live in a world where everything I say can offend someone because they’re a “powder puff” OR where people think that it’s ok to spout off some of the vile crap you read in chat/forum sometimes! Take a little time to think before we speak otherwise we’ll live in a world where we’ll be so censored you’ll hardly be able to open your mouth without being banned for something!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
199 posts
458 battles
4 minutes ago, Bravo4zero said:

While I agree with you to a certain point of view I also agree with OP on some of his points also! I was always taught “Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me!”. The problem comes from the anonymity of the internet! How many people that spout off in game(s), social media, blogs would DARE say 99% of the things they say on the internet in real life if that person they were saying it to stood in front of them?

The problem we really have is that this anonymity has gone a step to far! I’ve been told “I hope your family die of cancer!!” or “I hope you die in a fire!” simply because I didn’t play a tank/ship etc the way that person thought I should play! Again, does anyone think that this person would say it to me in real life ?? I doubt it!!

Mt worry is though that the more this carries on, the more censorship will be put in place to deal with stuff like this!

Ideally people would grow a bit thicker skinned and the others would tone it down a LOT! I don’t want to live in a world where everything I say can offend someone because they’re a “powder puff” OR where people think that it’s ok to spout off some of the vile crap you read in chat/forum sometimes! Take a little time to think before we speak otherwise we’ll live in a world where we’ll be so censored you’ll hardly be able to open your mouth without being banned for something!!

This is one of those points where you have to be able to separate speech intended as hateful and detrimental from people not having the same opinion.  That is the major factor here.  People who continue to say vile and blatantly disgusting things are the ones we're talking about here.  Things that aren't humane.

 

There is no reason for someone to tell another person they hope their family dies of cancer or dies in a fire.  There isn't any justification for that.  That is the kind of speech we're talking about here.  Not something that is just a difference of opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
606
[ARGSY]
Members
1,297 posts
8,987 battles

There are no pixel people. We are all real, and so are our words. This idea that we should have a thicker skin, or just shrug off words that are meant to cause harm is only ever expressed by those who delight in using them, and delight in using the power of those words, consequence free, to harm anyone affected by that hatred.

Those of you that say "durrrrr, it's just pixels....errrrrr....just a game...toughen up" are the same idiots who use such language in game, but would NEVER utter such vile hatred out loud, in public, because there, there are real consequences, and you are too small, too broken and too scared to take those consequences. So you insist that you should have a consequence free forum to spread your filth.

In before the lock.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
93
[LANCE]
Members
309 posts
3,258 battles
6 minutes ago, Blackgunner said:

This is one of those points where you have to be able to separate speech intended as hateful and detrimental from people not having the same opinion.  That is the major factor here.  People who continue to say vile and blatantly disgusting things are the ones we're talking about here.  Things that aren't humane.

I agree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
606
[ARGSY]
Members
1,297 posts
8,987 battles
11 minutes ago, Bravo4zero said:

While I agree with you to a certain point of view I also agree with OP on some of his points also! I was always taught “Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me!”. The problem comes from the anonymity of the internet! How many people that spout off in game(s), social media, blogs would DARE say 99% of the things they say on the internet in real life if that person they were saying it to stood in front of them?

The problem we really have is that this anonymity has gone a step to far! I’ve been told “I hope your family die of cancer!!” or “I hope you die in a fire!” simply because I didn’t play a tank/ship etc the way that person thought I should play! Again, does anyone think that this person would say it to me in real life ?? I doubt it!!

Mt worry is though that the more this carries on, the more censorship will be put in place to deal with stuff like this!

Ideally people would grow a bit thicker skinned and the others would tone it down a LOT! I don’t want to live in a world where everything I say can offend someone because they’re a “powder puff” OR where people think that it’s ok to spout off some of the vile crap you read in chat/forum sometimes! Take a little time to think before we speak otherwise we’ll live in a world where we’ll be so censored you’ll hardly be able to open your mouth without being banned for something!!

Dude....pick a lane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,774 posts
8,328 battles
1 hour ago, Blackgunner said:

Siege players that use slurs in the ingame chat are now being instantly banned. That was the headline I woke up to today.  And for the first time in my gaming life I was like, "It's about darn time."

 

Hate speech and slurs have no place in any part of society, in any medium.  I can't tell you how many games I've played with people calling people the N word or F word or so on and so on.  It's ridiculous, and should not be even remotely tolerated. 

 

I'm proud to see a company that is shutting down these kind of players immediately when it detects these words and variations used to 'slip by' censors used in chat.

 

I sincerely hope that Wargaming follows suit by reviewing the systems put in place on other games and taking steps to integrate it into their own services.

 

From a news story: "The first offence is a 27 minute ban.  The second and third offences are both 2 hour bans.  A further offence will launch a full scale investigation into the account with the possibility of a perma-ban."

 

All of these bans are automatically implemented with no 'initial' warnings or moderator interaction needed.  If you wouldn't say it IRL, then you know you shouldn't say it online; and it takes that common sense and runs with it. 

 

We need to stop showing the community it's okay for hate speech to go unchallenged.  The hammer should be dropped without hesitation, immediately.

Toxic players sometimes are just toxic to be toxic, its just a shame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
315
[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
14,608 battles
27 minutes ago, OgreMkV said:

People's words DO mean things. 

To some people, it means that they can't trust their fellow citizens. It means that hate is not only promoted, but accepted among the rest of the society. Whether you use those words or don't, by remaining silent about it tells your fellow people that you are not interested in them, their feelings, or how society treats them. 

It's not about the words, it's about how people treat other human beings.

Finally, WG and other gaming companies are private entities, they are not the US government, and can ban people for whatever they want. 

cool so lets ban all the bad words so all are vanilla and you cant tell who is an [edited] and who is your friend ok cool I get it now ignorance is bliss right????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
93
[LANCE]
Members
309 posts
3,258 battles
2 minutes ago, legozer said:

Dude....pick a lane.

Hate speech I’m against, obviously! Censorship I’m also against.

The point I was trying to make is that in real life there are people out there that do need to “man up”, “grow a pair” or “get thicker skinned!” ... however you want to put it! People that get triggered/offensed by the simplest things. Basically if people acted the way they should in real life and not hide behind the anonymity of the internet there’d be no need for censorship within chat/forum posts/blogs etc, etc!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
315
[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
14,608 battles
28 minutes ago, slokill_1 said:

No!  YOU need to grow up.

 I am probably older than you..... if you want to ban all that is bad guess what happens there is a reason AMERICA is the greatest nation on this planet and not CANADA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
315
[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
14,608 battles
1 minute ago, Bravo4zero said:

Hate speech I’m against, obviously! Censorship I’m also against.

The point I was trying to make is that in real life there are people out there that do need to “man up”, “grow a pair” or “get thicker skinned!” ... however you want to put it! People that get triggered/offensed by the simplest things. Basically if people acted the way they should in real life and not hide behind the anonymity of the internet there’d be no need for censorship within chat/forum posts/blogs etc, etc!

07 to your granpa he did the world proud

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
93
[LANCE]
Members
309 posts
3,258 battles
1 minute ago, GuntherPrein said:

07 to your granpa he did the world proud

Appreciated! Thanks

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
315
[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
14,608 battles
20 minutes ago, Blackgunner said:

This is one of those points where you have to be able to separate speech intended as hateful and detrimental from people not having the same opinion.  That is the major factor here.  People who continue to say vile and blatantly disgusting things are the ones we're talking about here.  Things that aren't humane.

 

There is no reason for someone to tell another person they hope their family dies of cancer or dies in a fire.  There isn't any justification for that.  That is the kind of speech we're talking about here.  Not something that is just a difference of opinion.

But if you take them away how will I bother them and seed their hate??? Honestly I have the most fun playing with those types and sending them into thermonuclear meltdown mode

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×