Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
geser98

Proposal - interrupting smoke generation

7 comments in this topic

Members
1,033 posts
95 battles

I'll just note at the start that I'm not complaining about radar. There is a lot of it in top tiers these days, sometimes a bit too much, but I get by all right in my DDs. At the same time it would make a game more interesting if DDs had a way of dealing with it without introducing any new  weird consumables.

With this in mind I just thought that ability to interrupt smoke generation would be interesting. What I propose is for destroyers to have ability to stop smoke generation after activating smoke screen. When they do it their remaining smoke generation time reduces to whatever time was left on the timer or halved, whichever is lower. On re-activation the duration of smoke clouds gets reduced by 30-40%. 

This would allow to bait radar, escape and still have a bit of smoke time remaining. It would make Smoke Screen special modification useful on many ships, not just commonwealth DDs and cruisers. It would also allow for soviet gunboats like Khaba or Tashkent to be specialized either into the currently standard evasion-tanking firestarters by using the heal consumable, or into anti-cruiser warfare by taking smoke. This would also allow for Groz with her lazer guns to get a useful niche without adding stupid things like radar. And at the same time it will make the use of radar more skill-focused rather than just mindlessly using it as soon as you see a smoke screen appear.

At the same time, using this to bait radar is very skill-based and not a 'fire-and-forget' solution.

What do you guys think?

Edited by geser98
  • Cool 2

[NBGC]
Members
331 posts
3,565 battles

I agree it would definitely be a skill-based thing. Maybe on DDs tier 8+?

Members
1,033 posts
95 battles
2 minutes ago, Rpkscout1 said:

I agree it would definitely be a skill-based thing. Maybe on DDs tier 8+?

Yeah, lower tiers don't have as much radar so it's not needed there.

[-BRS-]
Members
1,632 posts
13,606 battles

I don't think it's bad idea:Smile_great:  As long as kept it on the same timer  Of the 1st activationI don't think it could be abused that bad

Edited by silverdahc

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,836 posts
9,583 battles
19 minutes ago, MorbidGamer said:

WG just nerfed Pan Asia smoke. Really don't think they want people with shorter smoke timers.

They are desperate to do whatever they have to to avoid having to admit that they broke USN DDs with 6.3 and the removal of OWSF. Permasmoke was their "solution", effectively bringing back OWSF for PADDs. Now they are realizing that might have been a bad idea and are flailing about, desperate to find a balance. Anything to avoid having to do what everyone said they should have done in the first place, have gun bloom time vary by ship.

Edited by HazardDrake

Members
1,033 posts
95 battles
24 minutes ago, silverdahc said:

I don't think it's bad idea:Smile_great:  As long as kept it on the same timer  Of the 1st activationI don't think it could be abused that bad

Actually I just though of a way to abuse it - you could use this feature to set up two separate smoke screens for your allied cruisers to have a better coverage of a cap, but this requires team coordination.

22 minutes ago, MorbidGamer said:

WG just nerfed Pan Asia smoke. Really don't think they want people with shorter smoke timers.

It's different. With proper captain skill setup you could have almost a permasmoke in PA DDs, but this proposal doesn't go into that territory. Interrupting smoke won't allow for permasmoke situation, just a different way to use your smoke.

Sign in to follow this