Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
FlakKnight

Maneuverable gunboat choices

9 comments in this topic

[-S-R-]
[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
271 posts
1,782 battles

I'm trying to decide what ship line to max out.  I've discovered I dislike most BBs generally, CVs are a minigame, so it's between DDs and Cruisers.  I think I like maneuverable ships which emphasize guns the most so far.

Where I'm at now the T8 US CL and CA both seem to be becoming rather girthy and the island anchor is meh.  What would everyone recommend?  Right now I'm trying RN cruisers out, it seems to be going OK now that I got into the Leander.  It seems like Italian cruisers (when they come out in 2050) might be up that alley, too, but for now it seems like French, German, Russia and US all turn into mini BB at tier 10.  It's also hard to tell how acceleration is, unless I'm missing some stat.

[HYDRO]
Members
1,575 posts
3,751 battles

Russian DDs are practically light cruisers. They are the complete antithesis of USN CLs/CAs, using their speed and range to harass enemies. They can function like traditional DDs in a pinch, though it ain't their strong point.

[S0L0]
Members
879 posts
4,914 battles

If you are looking for a maneuverable T10 gunboat cruiser, the obvious answer is Khab.

Matt

Beta Testers
87 posts
4,061 battles

The Khab would be the best choice for you based on what you've said so far. If you don't like hugging islands in US CLs, I dont think you will like the Brits much either because it's the same thing but in smoke. 

[-S-R-]
[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
271 posts
1,782 battles

Does Khaba have issues getting placed in matches as a DD slot that it can't perform the role?  I haven't really seen many of them, I imagine it's for some reason?

[KNTI2]
Members
787 posts
4,311 battles
13 minutes ago, FlakKnight said:

Does Khaba have issues getting placed in matches as a DD slot that it can't perform the role?  I haven't really seen many of them, I imagine it's for some reason?

The main reason you don't see many of them is because it requires that you use the mobility to its greatest potential, as you WILL be more or less continuously spotted from firing your guns (or from your poor concealment in general) and you WILL be a priority target for that reason.

If you understand that mobility and good snap shooting is the bread and butter of that line, you will do very well in it.

> Khaba have issues with DD MM

If it's a 1 or 2 DD match where you are expected to cap like a more stealthy DD would, then it does pose some problems, but you're still doing more or less the same thing; you just have to dodge torps in addition to every shell ever.

If you are expected to cap, it's extremely important for you to have a radar cruiser back you up so you can hammer that stealthy DD or at least make him mess up his torp drop.

[RKN]
Members
1,424 posts
12,140 battles
36 minutes ago, FlakKnight said:

Does Khaba have issues getting placed in matches as a DD slot that it can't perform the role?

Yeah sure. But because there is so much radar, regular DDs can't fill this role anymore either. So you adapt. 

I've capped b on mountain range at game start in the Khabarovsk before. You push in to spot the Russian way by getting shot at and next thing you know you have a solo cap. 

• Cool 1

[DANKY]
Members
502 posts
1,618 battles
56 minutes ago, NotoriousRNG said:

Yeah sure. But because there is so much radar, regular DDs can't fill this role anymore either. So you adapt. 

I've capped b on mountain range at game start in the Khabarovsk before. You push in to spot the Russian way by getting shot at and next thing you know you have a solo cap. 

Haha yeah. The way to cap in a t9-10 borscht gunboat is to enter the cap expecting to spot reds and if no one shoots at you, you can probably keep it. 

Sign in to follow this