Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Moog1

Torpedo bomber outside game border torpedoing and sinking ships

8 comments in this topic

[TGO]
Members
1 post
11,244 battles

I was just in a match when torpedo bomber flew outside of game area and then from that location proceeded to sink me with torpedoes

. I was right on the edge line of map and they were on the outside. They should not have been able to launch torpedoes from that location.

• Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[HINON]
Members
9,019 posts

Riding the border does not make you immune from attack. You have now learned a valuable lesson.

• Cool 2

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,347 posts
9,543 battles
16 minutes ago, Moog1 said:

I was just in a match when torpedo bomber flew outside of game area and then from that location proceeded to sink me with torpedoes

. I was right on the edge line of map and they were on the outside. They should not have been able to launch torpedoes from that location.

As has been explained thousands of times, You cannot send torpedo bombers outside the map edge. They will only fly outside the map to line up an attack who's aim point is inside the map border. 

When manually dropping with torpedo bombers, your aim point is usually on the far side of the target. If you're hugging the border, the CV can't pick an aim point on the far side of you, because it would be off the map. So by picking an aim point inside the map, and an attack direction that would bring the bombers from outside the map, The CV driver can still drop on you. It's more difficult to get a good drop that way. I'd have auto-cross dropped you 

Thumbs up to the CV driver that bagged you, that took some skill, you didn't get bagged by an amateur. 

[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,045 posts
10,456 battles
1 hour ago, Moog1 said:

. I was right on the edge line of map and they were on the outside. They should not have been able to disable my border riding game exploit and actually sink me!

ftfy....

[LANCE]
Members
309 posts
3,253 battles
2 hours ago, SgtBeltfed said:

As has been explained thousands of times, You cannot send torpedo bombers outside the map edge. They will only fly outside the map to line up an attack who's aim point is inside the map border. 

When manually dropping with torpedo bombers, your aim point is usually on the far side of the target. If you're hugging the border, the CV can't pick an aim point on the far side of you, because it would be off the map. So by picking an aim point inside the map, and an attack direction that would bring the bombers from outside the map, The CV driver can still drop on you. It's more difficult to get a good drop that way. I'd have auto-cross dropped you 

Thumbs up to the CV driver that bagged you, that took some skill, you didn't get bagged by an amateur. 

This explains how a CV Capt was able to drop torps on me from “inside” an island! I swear there wasn’t enough room to fit even a life raft between me and the island but the CV TB got me from island side! The torps must have slipped down the side of the island, hit the water, armed and then killed me! :cap_haloween:

I gave the CV Capt a +1 for this as is was a very skillful drop and sat back in absolute amazement!!

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,347 posts
9,543 battles
2 hours ago, Bravo4zero said:

This explains how a CV Capt was able to drop torps on me from “inside” an island! I swear there wasn’t enough room to fit even a life raft between me and the island but the CV TB got me from island side! The torps must have slipped down the side of the island, hit the water, armed and then killed me! :cap_haloween:

I gave the CV Capt a +1 for this as is was a very skillful drop and sat back in absolute amazement!!

Doesn't work like that, 

The distance between the aim point and drop point is exactly the same for manual drops and auto drops, just the auto drops the aim point is always on the target. On a manual drop I can put the aim point on the far side of the target to drop closer. The torps still have to land in the water and travel some distance to arm, put the aim point too far back, the torps will hit the water, fail to arm in time, and go "bonk!" for no damage. If the drop line is on the island, some EOD guys have some cleanup work after the battle. Now, the airplane game is effectively 2D, it makes no difference if I'm dropping over a gentle beach, or a mile high cliff. If a ship can get there, so can a torp.

Now, I've only ever seen part of this, but it might be possible to drop a torpedo inside a ship's hitbox, have it travel lengthwise inside the ship, arm and hit the ship from the inside.

Way back when Langley's could manual drop, I personally had a Langley drop a torp inside my Yubari, the torp traveled from just aft of the #2 gun turret to the stern. I have no idea what the torp did when it got to the stern, I only saw the wake going lengthwise through the ship when Jammin411 posted this Replay (at the 11 minute mark). Maybe there's enough length in something like a GK for one to drop and arm before it's outside the ship or hit's the other end of the ship. It would be a freak occurrence even if it even can happen.

Sign in to follow this