Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
holomorphic

RN Cruiser Premium?

63 comments in this topic

[WHS]
Members
28 posts
1,877 battles

Now that Belfast is supposed to be permanently out of the shop. We don't even have a RN premium cruiser. It's time for WG to come up with a new one! Why is WG releasing so many more US and Japanese premium ships while passing on such a great chance to make more money?

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,832 posts
4,724 battles

8 inch guns plz.

• Cool 1

[CUTIE]
[CUTIE]
Members
170 posts
8,537 battles

Hunt for Graf Spee 2 with the Exeter?

[NGA]
[NGA]
Members
316 posts
4,651 battles
5 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

8 inch guns plz.

Would love to see HMS London in her rebuilt form. Solid candidate for Tier VII premium.

• Cool 1

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,832 posts
4,724 battles
2 minutes ago, Monty9185 said:

Would love to see HMS London in her rebuilt form. Solid candidate for Tier VII premium.

The level of flat sides on that thing makes Indy look like it could bounce a yammy.

• Cool 1

Members
2,128 posts
4,750 battles

HMS Exeter (Tier 6)-River Plate

HMS Jamaica (Tier 7)-North Cape, Barents Sea, Korean War (Fiji with HE shells, retains torpedoes)

HMS Effingham (Tier 5)-post-refit configuration, 3x3 152mm guns

HMS London (post-refit)-Tier 7

HMS Dido / Sirius (Tier 6)

Edited by Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

[NGA]
[NGA]
Members
316 posts
4,651 battles
Just now, Dr_Venture said:

The level of flat sides on that thing makes Indy look like it could bounce a yammy.

No worse than the Crown Colonies and the Towns mind.

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,514 posts
4,397 battles

My picks are:

HMS Dido

HMS Sheffield

HMS London 

[KEGEL]
Members
109 posts
5,414 battles
23 minutes ago, holomorphic said:

Now that Belfast is supposed to be permanently out of the shop. We don't even have a RN premium cruiser. It's time for WG to come up with a new one! Why is WG releasing so many more US and Japanese premium ships while passing on such a great chance to make more money?

Agreed a high tier RN Cruiser is sorely missing.

Regarding the Belfast, even those who have her, she's a poor captain trainer due to requiring IFHE.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,799 posts
10,299 battles

It would be nice, but I've somewhat given up. Although it's great that British Destroyers will be coming out sometime this fall, giving the RN a 3rd line merely 18 months after the Germans had theirs released in December 2016, the lack of a British premium cruiser what with Belfast removed from the shop is galling.

The UK's not had a premium since the garbage copy-paste DoY given out at Christmas. Since then we've had Makarov, Roma, Musashi, Aigle, Gascogne, Asashio, Kronshtadt, Varyag, Abruzzi, Z-39, Monaghan, Salem, Massachusetts and Haida. The next 2 premiums look like 9dJ and Boise with Stalingrad after this season of CB. Germany has PEF in the pipeline, the US Alaska, and France the Jean Bart. T-61 is apparently read and in limbo. 

The UK gets Cossack, maybe/eventually after she was first revealed in December 2017.

There are currently 11 premium Russian cruisers released or in development, strikethroughs removed from sale:
Aurora, Diana, Varyag, Oleg, Krasny Krym, Makarov, Murmansk, Molotov, Kutuzov, Kronshtadt, Stalingrad

UK:
Belfast

France
De Grasse

Italy
D'Aosta, D'Abruzzi

Oh well...

• Cool 1

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,124 posts
7,655 battles
32 minutes ago, holomorphic said:

Given the turn around time of releasing new premiums, even if they knew two months in advance that they'd have to pull Belfast, it hasn't been long enough to replace her with a new ship.  The turnaround time from proposal to release is well over a year.

This said, I hope they get one out ASAP and that it can be used as an RNCL trainer -- you know, one that doesn't require things like IFHE or Demolition Expert to be successful.

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles
7 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Given the turn around time of releasing new premiums, even if they knew two months in advance that they'd have to pull Belfast, it hasn't been long enough to replace her with a new ship.  The turnaround time from proposal to release is well over a year.

This said, I hope they get one out ASAP and that it can be used as an RNCL trainer -- you know, one that doesn't require things like IFHE or Demolition Expert to be successful.

Well there are the RN Super-Cruisers... *cough* Battleships *cough* 

But the lack of speed, RoF, consumables does make a ship like Duke of York feel extremely clunky as a Cruiser Trainer.

Anyways, hoping for something soon™....

[SYN]
Members
14,442 posts
10,418 battles

IFHE Nelson for the lawls

[S0L0]
Members
876 posts
4,837 battles
10 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

IFHE Nelson for the lawls

I actually do so, not because Nelson needs it, but because I am one of those evil people with a dedicated Belfast captain/Elite XP farmer...

2x fire,2x citadel salvos will never get old.

Matt

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,796 posts
15,175 battles
1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

I hope they get one out ASAP and that it can be used as an RNCL trainer -- you know, one that doesn't require things like IFHE or Demolition Expert to be successful.

What are your thoughts on a tier 6 Exeter Mouse? Certainly NOT a CL by any means, but could it still be the trainer the player base is asking for?

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,124 posts
7,655 battles
13 minutes ago, Umikami said:

What are your thoughts on a tier 6 Exeter Mouse? Certainly NOT a CL by any means, but could it still be the trainer the player base is asking for?

It could be.  That really depends on if it fires HE and if it does, what penetration / fire chance the shells have and what consumables it has. 

[VVV]
Members
2,421 posts
2 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

It could be.  That really depends on if it fires HE and if it does, what penetration / fire chance the shells have and what consumables it has. 

IFHE is never a good way to spend 4 points on a ship with 203mm guns. Going from 33 to 43mm of HE pen changes far to little to be worth it. DE can certainly be a useful expenditure on a CA but unlike IFHE on (non-RN) CLs it's not in the "almost mandatory" category.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,796 posts
15,175 battles
4 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

First, thanks for the prompt (as always) answer. Second, yeah, it's hard to imagine an RN cruiser with HE at this point. And good HE would be even better. You have to admit it would be a for sure seller, gud bote or meh bote.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,486 posts
3,435 battles

It would probably be Exeter, but with smoke. No Hydro, maybe AADF, but likely smoke, normal AP or short-fuse AP, and slightly nerfed RN HE; no 1/4th pen, but still has the large AoE. Reasonably effective against DDs, CLs, and somewhat effective on CAs. If she gets normal AP instead, then she could be a reasonable threat to BBs within the spread as well, and play a bit more like a normal cruiser, just with smoke. Of course, she'd be limited by only having 6x 203s, so it would be interesting to see how those would be balanced (compared to the likes of Aoba and Pensacola).

Instead of smoke, they could give her concealment that might rival Aoba, and instead let her keep AADF, but no Hydro or Smoke. Assuming the 6 guns aren't ridiculously buffed/nerfed like Aoba (RoF), or the RN CL AP (short-fuse + Normalization), or the RN BB HE (1/4 pen + Large Blast AoE), and instead reasonably balanced with a bit of flavor as previously mentioned (normal AP, HE w/ large blast AoE, normal or slightly buffed RoF), she could instead be given a regular cruiser heal, which would become a feature for a future RN CA split (with the T9 and T10 having the enhanced, Warspite-like Super Heal, not the RNCL Hyper Heal).

[WHS]
Members
28 posts
1,877 battles
3 hours ago, SlightlyComatose said:

Regarding the Belfast, even those who have her, she's a poor captain trainer due to requiring IFHE.

2 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Can't agree more. Even if we still have Belfast, it does not train well the British cruiser captains. So one way or the other, WG should come up with an RN premium cruiser as soon as possible.

[UFFA]
[UFFA]
Members
722 posts
63 battles

TIX FreeXP 9.2" armed Churchill cruiser named Thundererererer:cap_win:

• Funny 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,173 posts
11,691 battles
3 hours ago, SlightlyComatose said:

IFHE while nice, is hardly required.  She'll do just fine without it.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,173 posts
11,691 battles
1 hour ago, Umikami said:

Given Aoba's struggles, Exeter is better served as a T5.  The Kents should be T6.

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,514 posts
4,397 battles
3 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

52 minutes ago, holomorphic said:

Can't agree more. Even if we still have Belfast, it does not train well the British cruiser captains. So one way or the other, WG should come up with an RN premium cruiser as soon as possible.

I'd like to offer a different perspective because on the contrary I DO hope that whatever CL (or CA) that replaces Belfast will have HE. I've gone through the RNCL line and have unlocked the Neptune. However I don't see myself buying it and currently I've sold all the RN CLs. I didn't find the line enjoyable as i constantly felt I had no options. I felt I had a limited tool set. Some captain skills are not applicable at all to RN CLs limiting what captains can pick. The RN CLs have no DoT ability whatsoever since they can't set fires. Unlike every other cruiser line damage drops like a rock once the target angles.

I only speak for myself and maybe I'm just bad, but the mainline RN CLs just leave me with a constant sense of being limited in options, and a frustrating feeling of 'if only I could have fired HE'. I've tried to like them, and I really want to like them, but it's just not clicking mentally.

Dido, London, Exeter, Sheffield, whatever. Give it HE and I'll buy it. I don't need a trainer, but a cruiser that isn't instantly ineffective whenever the enemy goes bow in.

[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
253 posts
3,188 battles
26 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

Given Aoba's struggles, Exeter is better served as a T5.  The Kents should be T6.

What struggles??? One of the best cruisers at it's tier, I'd only take the Perth over it...

HMS Vanguard first then a new CL.

Sign in to follow this