You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
_ENO_

Independence vs Ryujo AS

8 comments in this topic

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

Eh guys... 

I've recently been encouraged to take a step back in tier from Saipan and Enterprise to build up my skills a little more... I know generally what a carrier is supposed to do and do try and play in support of the team. I generally know what I'm "supposed" to do situationally- but I'm not always able to actually execute. 

But something I'm having a little trouble with is getting dog piled on by AS Ryujo's 3 fighter squadrons only to realize once I thought a single torp squadron was enough that it ALSO has 2 attack squadrons. (I could have sworn I saw two torp squadrons but looking at the wiki it's saying 3-1-1 so...  I should have remembered this since I have a Ryujo too- but regardless.) 

So you've got your 1-1-1 setup in Independence... and you get 5 backup fighters. What's the best way to manage the offset against the Ryujo? 

[RKLES]
Members
7,214 posts
9,006 battles

Research carrier aircraft Captain skills for your carrier Captain will help since some of those help increase firepower, Squadron size, plane HP, and ammo capacity. Also need to make sure you know how to do the manual attacks with your planes as well.

[STW-M]
Members
2,077 posts
5,874 battles

Something I notice about air superiority CVs is that they're usually using the sheer number of fighters to compensate for something, especially strafing. USN CVs have powerful strafes and the numbers to make it so that they can strafe and counter-strafe their way to victory in most occasions.

In the off chance that you encounter a competent AS CV, they're usually sacrificing damage to try and keep you down, so trying to out-damage them is always the way to go (seriously, 3-1-1 Ryujo is pathetic at surface attack).

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
2 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Research carrier aircraft Captain skills for your carrier Captain will help since some of those help increase firepower, Squadron size, plane HP, and ammo capacity. Also need to make sure you know how to do the manual attacks with your planes as well.

I'm running a pretty strong skipper already and while my manual attacks aren't where I'd like them to be- definitely a point of improvement. I'm getting better.

41 minutes ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

(seriously, 3-1-1 Ryujo is pathetic at surface attack).

Of course with Indie being 1-1-1 I suppose that says something too though I guess the strike forces have more aircraft per squadron eh? 

You have a point though about the skill level- or compensating for something too. I like to try and coordinate my moves against their aircraft when I notice them trying to attack a ship. Then it's strafin' tahm!

[KREW]
[KREW]
Members
144 posts
1,834 battles

Bought both of these Carriers this week I have a 10 level captain on the Independence and a 3 on the IJN Ryujo need some advice on what attributes to select for the Captain ? here's my Independence picks.

2018-08-27 (5).png

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,142 posts
14,547 battles

I rarely play Tier VI and below Carriers at all.  Last time I used any of these with some frequency was a while back for Tier VI Ranked.  I was using Independence 1/1/1.  Typically saw another Independence, which is super easy to deal with and out muscle, but if I saw Ryujo, it was always the AS 3/1/1.  Many of them weren't good and Independence's 1 fighter squadron will strafe the sh*t out of them.  But if the AS RJ player is any good, good luck.  Bait and intercept, bait and intercept.  They'll try to get into the dogfight with you and pile on superior numbers to kill your fighter unit.  Lose that fighter unit once and your Independence is now super vulnerable to the remaining Ryujo fighter swarm.  Strafing out isn't always going to work because you'll lose planes doing so.  All they need to do is lock you in combat and pile the numbers against you.  This is Tier VI.  You don't have the fighter reserves of Tier VII and later Carriers for losses.

Independence's fighter unit is like a powerful lion, but AS Ryujo's 3 fighters are like 3 hyenas.

Now, people may like to say, "AS Ryujo's surface attack sucks."  That's fine.  But when she wipes out the other CV's aircraft so that its own DDs no longer have to worry about getting perma-spotted, planes hovering to spot their torpedoes, friendly BBs no longer have to worry about getting nuked from the air, and AS Ryujo having free reign to perma-spot DDs and torpedoes, drop an opportunistic torpedo / dive bomber strike against a battered BB with its DCP on cooldown with no enemy fighters to contest... Well, you get the picture.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[SVF]
Members
17 posts
2,928 battles

@CaptDavid

You absolutely, 100% need air superiourity(the 4-point skill). That extra fighter and DB might not seem like much, but it's easily the most powerful captain skill- I'd say in the entire game.

Beyond that... don't fight their fighters. Keep them by your team just to spoil the enemy strikes(for what little they're worth) and use your own strike to actually influence the match.

[KREW]
[KREW]
Members
144 posts
1,834 battles

All true I have since acquired the IJN Ryujo problem solved,  not sure what to do now with the upcoming CV changes that are about to be made? may need to total rethink.

Edited by CaptDavid