Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Brand new 19 pt Captain! - now what?

15 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
354 posts
3,925 battles

VERY excited to have my first 19 pt captain!  :Smile_Default: Big shout out to RedSeaBear and Xanthro for advice in an earlier post about using my premium ships to get him to this point. 

First question, what is the optimum skill set for a USN dd captain?

Here is his skill set:

1- PT, PM

2- LS, AR

3 - SE, DE, BFT

4 - CE

I might be willing to trade PM and DE for one 4 pt skill IF it's worth it.  I've tried AFT (the long-range arcs are bad) and RL (didn't find it that helpful).  Is inertia Fuse a big enough skill to give up DE?

Second question, should he stay in the Benson?

My Fletcher captain is currently a 12 pointer (have a ways to go before I go for the Gearing).  Would be nice to have the Benson's captain's skills in my Fletcher fights.  Is it worth the doubloons to retrain the 2 captains to switch ships?

[INTEL]
Members
6,675 posts
25,840 battles

Congrats!

I would put it on Fletcher, a better boat than Benson.

IFHE for USN DDs? No. Too expensive a skill for little value. It belongs in Akizuki and all 152 mm gun cruisers.

I agree with your choice of skills otherwise.

What do you do with a 19 point captain? You play the hell out of it of course! In the main ship and in any and every Premium ship that you may have that can take it. Elite XP starts building fast. Once you have several 19 point captains (it will happen), then it accelerates and you will see how it build up.

Edited by alexf24

[ERN]
[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,123 posts
4,270 battles

play it for elite exp, which can be transfer to any captain

[-VT-]
[-VT-]
Members
385 posts
23,214 battles

Congrats!

16 minutes ago, AMajor said:

First question, what is the optimum skill set for a USN dd captain?

Depends on which Dd you plan to put him in.

First ten points should alwasy be PT, LS BFT and CE.

That leaves 9 points to play with.

Nicholas, Farragut and Mahan aren't much on AA so i wouldn't bother with an AA suite for them.  SE, Su and DE might be good for those 9 points in these ships.

At tier 8 you see more carriers.  I like an AA suite on my Benson, Fletcher and Sims so I take AFT, MFC for 8 of those 9 points.   And run the DFAA module as well as an AA upgrade.

The Gearing is special.  Torp reload is a good choice.  As is SE.  Su and DE are a bit questionable, imho, given the tier 10 meta.  Can go AA but the odds of shooting down a significant number of planes is slim.

My 2 cents.  heh

Sab

[-K-]
Members
5,310 posts
9,141 battles

I run my USN DDs as destroyer hunters, and this is the build I use for Fletcher and Gearing:

Capture2.JPG

• Cool 1

[LOU1]
Members
3,087 posts
8,164 battles

It might be best to train the 19-pointer for the ship you enjoy playing the most or do the best in. It could be argued that the first Commander’s main purpose is to generate Elite XP to bring all your Commanders up to 10 points and/or create another 19-pointer. Fortunately, a DD build can be usable in other ship classes.

Congrats, too!

[BIER]
Members
126 posts
1,878 battles

I would definitely second @ExploratorOne's advice:  put the 19-pointer on the ship you enjoy playing the most, and that you play the most often. It will enhance that experience, you'll get really good at it, and the combination will mean you'll produce XP for use elsewhere in large amounts.

I'd trade BFT for SI, as the extra smokes and consumables are a real big help.  The extra ROF bump isn't that much, and it doesn't really help AA enough to even notice.

Depending on the ship, I'd also think about trading DE for TAE. For the Fletcher, I'd definitely do that. Others, maybe not.

CVs aren't common enough to make specing into AA worth it, and even with DAA, you're not going to be shooting down much - it's about discouraging the drop, not harvesting planes.

[CAST]
Members
1,428 posts
5,978 battles
13 hours ago, AMajor said:

My Fletcher captain is currently a 12 pointer (have a ways to go before I go for the Gearing).  Would be nice to have the Benson's captain's skills in my Fletcher fights.  Is it worth the doubloons to retrain the 2 captains to switch ships?

I think your other questions were well answered already, but regarding this one: you can use your elite captain XP to instantly retrain captains when switching ships as well.  Pay the 200k credits to cut the amount in half, and then click the little + icon next to the captain's XP total to accelerate him to the next level (fully trained for that ship, in this case).  So if you'd rather save some doubloons, leave him in the Benson at least until you've piled up some elite XP.

FWIW, I run exactly what @Ace_04 does on my Gearing.  :Smile_great:

[PLPT]
Members
642 posts
6,904 battles
On 7/13/2018 at 10:09 AM, Sabene said:

First ten points should alwasy be PT, LS BFT and CE.

Should always be PT, LS, —SE—, and CE

• Cool 1

[DBM]
Members
354 posts
3,925 battles
22 hours ago, Harv72b said:

you can use your elite captain XP to instantly retrain captains when switching ships as well.  Pay the 200k credits to cut the amount in half, and then click the little + icon next to the captain's XP total to accelerate him to the next level (fully trained for that ship, in this case)

I think that I saw this once in a Youtube video from iChase I think.  Can you give me a step-by-step?  Here is the situation:

My 19 pt captain is in my Benson, I have a 12 pt captain in my Fletcher

I would like to switch them so that the 19 pt captain is in the Fletcher and the 12 pt captain is in the Benson

My 2 premium UNS dds are the Sims and the Monaghan

How do I do this without using doubloons?

[PVE]
Members
5,693 posts
18,273 battles
7 hours ago, AMajor said:

I think that I saw this once in a Youtube video from iChase I think.  Can you give me a step-by-step?  Here is the situation:

I would like to switch them so that the 19 pt captain is in the Fletcher and the 12 pt captain is in the Benson

Well you can do it by using Elite XP and credits but it is pretty "expensive" that way as well. Just reassign the captain, take the 200,000 credit option to reduce training by half and then use Elite XP to finish up the retraining. Besides the credits, retraining a 19 point captain will take quite a bit of xp. You also can do the credit option then just put them in the premium DDs and grind it out since there is no retraining penalty when using a premium ship. 

Edited by Taylor3006

[CAST]
Members
1,428 posts
5,978 battles
14 hours ago, AMajor said:

@Taylor3006 pretty well covered it above.

To do the immediate swap using elite XP:

1. Send the 12 point captain to your reserve.
  2. Transfer the 19 point captain to your Fletcher.
  3. Choose the 200,000 credit option when it asks you about accelerated retraining.
  4. Click on the "+" icon which you will see to the right of the 19 point captain's XP bar.
  5. It will show you the amount of elite XP needed to instantly retrain him, along with how much you will have left after doing so.  If you don't have enough elite commander XP to complete the retraining, it will use free XP for the remainder.  Note that this will require 125,000 XP to do in the case of a 19 point commander!
  6. Confirm that you wish you to complete retraining.
  7. Repeat the process with the 12 point captain in your Benson.  This captain will require only 20,000 XP to finish retraining.

Alternately, you can shuffle the commanders as above, selecting the 200,000 credit option each time, but then re-transfer them to the Sims and Monaghan.  Any XP earned on these premium ships will be put toward their retraining on their new "permanent" ships (Fletcher & Benson).  The XP totals needed remain the same as above, but this way you're trading the time necessary to grind out that XP in order to conserve your elite commander XP/free XP.

There's a handy-dandy table in the Warships wiki which tells you the amount of XP needed to retrain commanders of each level; by using the 200,000 credit option first you cut each of these totals in half.

[PVE]
Members
5,693 posts
18,273 battles
1 minute ago, Harv72b said:

Note that this will require 125,000 XP to do in the case of a 19 point commander!

I knew it was quite a bit, this is one reason when I transfer a high point captain I generally just use doubloons. I figure it is far more worthwhile to spend the 2 or 3 bucks to retrain than to spend that kind of xp. But then again, I am lazy. 

• Cool 1

[-VT-]
[-VT-]
Members
385 posts
23,214 battles
On 7/14/2018 at 2:58 PM, n00bot said:

Should always be PT, LS, —SE—, and CE

For competitive play with no CVs, sure.  But for randoms?  Not so much.  I prefer BFT for the reload boost AND the AA boost.

Of course, I am pretty good at staying alive anyway.  All too often I see DDs dive in to contest a cap and get blown away.  Perhaps it is that extra 10% health from SE that makes them think they are impervious?

Anyway, after 20k battles and 5x Rank One titles I prefer BFT.  SE is situational.  If a CV is present or expected I'll avoid SE altogether in favor of a strong AA build.

Wickes, Nicholas, Farragut, Mahan, Sims, Benson, Kidd, Fletcher, Black and Gearing in my port.  All with 19 pint captains except the Mahan (hard to love that ship).  

Edited by Sabene

[DAY]
Members
22 posts
6,035 battles
On 2018/7/14 at 1:28 AM, Ace_04 said:

I run my USN DDs as destroyer hunters, and this is the build I use for Fletcher and Gearing:

Capture2.JPG

Amazingly, this is exactly what I run every DD captain except 1-2 instead 1-1.

Sign in to follow this