You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheArc

Neon Ships and Lightning Bolts?

22 comments in this topic

[FORM]
[FORM]
Members
107 posts
2,683 battles

I'm pretty new to the game, but I've gotten to the point where I'm actually getting annoyed by these bright Gatorade colored ships. Fortunately, the "ARP" ones are the only ones I seem to see regularly,  and though I get that it is all pixels - I would love to be able to disable their look & the special effects in game.

But I can't seem to find any way to set it to "realism" only. In WoT it was an easy check box, but there doesn't seem to be anything comparable in WoWS.

------

Note: With the doubloon bonus this weekend, I'm considering the Graf Spee, but on reading this remark in LittleWhiteMouse's review of it... I'm not sure:

"HSF Admiral Graf Spee is the better version of this ship with her camouflage bonuses, but not everyone likes (or wants to support) anime crossovers in World of Warships."

So, is a way to turn this off? Do I need a mod?

• Boring 1

[ARGSY]
Members
6,293 posts
4,243 battles

It can be turned off in port, but HSF Spee is AFAIK not gaudy or glowing like her ARP counterparts.

• Cool 2

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
9 minutes ago, TheArc said:

I'm pretty new to the game, but I've gotten to the point where I'm actually getting annoyed by these bright Gatorade colored ships. Fortunately, the "ARP" ones are the only ones I seem to see regularly,  and though I get that it is all pixels - I would love to be able to disable their look & the special effects in game.

But I can't seem to find any way to set it to "realism" only. In WoT it was an easy check box, but there doesn't seem to be anything comparable in WoWS.

------

Note: With the doubloon bonus this weekend, I'm considering the Graf Spee, but on reading this remark in LittleWhiteMouse's review of it... I'm not sure:

"HSF Admiral Graf Spee is the better version of this ship with her camouflage bonuses, but not everyone likes (or wants to support) anime crossovers in World of Warships."

But you’re not complaining about radar seeing through islands and damage control that happens in 15 seconds. You’re certainly a purist. 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 3

[-K-]
[-K-]
Supertester
1,847 posts
6,875 battles

Bottom right you should see a gear, above your ship carousel. Tick off everything Anime related. Like magic no more anime in game.

• Cool 4

[O_O]
Members
792 posts
4,781 battles

I believe the HSF vessels have an alternative camo included that has the same bonuses, but is more "historically" accurate.  All you do then is assign a German or Japanese commander and voila... basically the same as any other ship save the "HSF" tag.

Everyone else is accurate about the view settings, they can all be turned off.  Even the excellent Bismarck/Hood skins if you so choose.  In that case the ships will appear as usual in battle, only remarkable in their lack of camouflage.

-R

[AWP]
Members
782 posts
3,007 battles
9 minutes ago, Mister_Rawr said:

I believe the HSF vessels have an alternative camo included that has the same bonuses, but is more "historically" accurate.  All you do then is assign a German or Japanese commander and voila... basically the same as any other ship save the "HSF" tag.

Everyone else is accurate about the view settings, they can all be turned off.  Even the excellent Bismarck/Hood skins if you so choose.  In that case the ships will appear as usual in battle, only remarkable in their lack of camouflage.

-R

That is how it is for the Harekaze so I would assume it is with the Spee too. 

[FORM]
[FORM]
Members
107 posts
2,683 battles
17 minutes ago, GoldPile said:

Bottom right you should see a gear, above your ship carousel. Tick off everything Anime related. Like magic no more anime in game.

Perfect, tnx.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,797 posts
15,217 battles
18 minutes ago, GoldPile said:

Tick off everything Anime related. Like magic no more anime in game.

Now if we could just do that for Avatars ... 

[FORM]
[FORM]
Members
107 posts
2,683 battles
18 minutes ago, _ENO_ said:

But you’re not complaining about radar seeing through islands and damage control that happens in 15 seconds. You’re certainly a purist. 

I'm not sure who pissed in your Cornflakes, but wouldn't a "purist" be upset enough by the mix of nation ships out of the gate? I just find the neon crap annoying, and I figured it was worth looking for a fix (and GoldPile helped me out.)

[RKLES]
Members
7,200 posts
8,971 battles
39 minutes ago, TheArc said:

------

There is a little gear icon ( think it is gear shaped near bottom right of screen just above your dock of ships. It has setting to turn on and off the various skins like ARP.

But I would encourage you to leave High School Fleet / HSF enabled since the Harekaze can be an amazing Destroyer and has 3 different main gun types it can mount making it somewhat unpredictable when you face one, and therefore good to know they are in battle. And HSF ships look pretty normal if not better than the regular ships since they are meant to look military.

But I can see how ARP might look little odd, either people like the look of ARP ships or they don’t.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1

[FORM]
[FORM]
Members
107 posts
2,683 battles
1 minute ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

There is a little gear icon ( think it is gear shaped near bottom right of screen just above your dock of ships. It has setting to turn on and off the various skins like ARP.

But I would encourage you to leave High School Fleet / HSF enabled since the Harekaze can be an amazing Destroyer and has 3 different main gun types it can mount making it somewhat unpredictable when you face one, and therefore good to know they are in battle. And HSF ships look pretty normal if not better than the regular ships since they are meant to look military.

Bit I can see how ARP might look little odd, either people like the look of ARP ships or they don’t.

Tnx. And... yeah.

wows-wtf.jpg

[O_O]
Members
792 posts
4,781 battles
13 minutes ago, TheArc said:

[...] wouldn't a "purist" be upset enough by the mix of nation ships out of the gate? 

Yes, but that's not what earned _ENO_'s reaction. 

There's been lots of ... let's say discussion on the merits of historically-inspired and entertainment-inspired units in the game.  This discussion has left many of our old-timers with bruised and rather sensitive impressions of the subject.  It's kind of mellowed in the last year or so, but can still be a very touchy subject.

I won't say his comments were justified, but that's probably what caused them.

[edit]

Ah, that'd be Rasputin from a pair of previous Halloween events.  That's a skin for the more-or-less rare Imperator Nikolai I, so she's a relatively uncommon sight.  You'll see those around low-to-mid tiers, and a few more in the upper tiers.  If you watch or take part in Tier X matches you'll probably also see some of the "Space" ships from the recent April Fools' event.

[/edit]

-R

Edited by Mister_Rawr
  • Cool 1

[FORM]
[FORM]
Members
107 posts
2,683 battles
8 minutes ago, Mister_Rawr said:

There's been lots of ... let's say discussion on the merits of historically-inspired and entertainment-inspired units in the game.

-R

I appreciate the follow up. Like I said, I'm pretty new to the game, and I'm glad that a few posters pointed me to the gear icon so I can see/not see things easily enough. So no space ships for me, easypeasy fix too - and all I had to do was ask :)

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,200 posts
8,971 battles

[Edited first half for content] Wouldn't a "purist" be upset enough by the mix of nation ships out of the gate? I just find the neon [edited] annoying, and I figured it was worth looking for a fix (and GoldPile helped me out.)

If you want to get really historically accurate and technical about things, many Naval ships in various nations were often purchased from nations specialized in building the desired type of vessels. Although eventually many nations were able to build at least some of their own warships. And also not uncommon for various nations to assemble combined fleets to face enemy fleets. Also on various parts of history you also had the use of captured enemy war materials and weapons for use against their former owners or against a third party even.

And finally when you think about it we as players could be considered mercenaries, privateers, Pirates ect. Because what do we do? We fight the red team for fun, credits, XP and what ever other rewards are offered, not for politics or survival or something, nope we do it for the loot. And if your heart is set on doing a historical battle you can assemble a Scenerio team or assemble couple teams for training battle.

[FORM]
[FORM]
Members
107 posts
2,683 battles

If you want to get really historically accurate...

Nope. The effort to do any of that is really beyond what I'm interested in. I just didn't want to get shot at by glowing lighting bolts from gatorade colored glowing ships :)

I'm 100% fine with pushing WASD to steer my pixels too!

[RKLES]
Members
7,200 posts
8,971 battles
6 minutes ago, TheArc said:

Nope. The effort to do any of that is really beyond what I'm interested in. I just didn't want to get shot at by glowing lighting bolts from gatorade colored glowing ships :)

I'm 100% fine with pushing WASD to steer my pixels too!

Lol as I said in my early post for you, the really odd special effects ships that some people like are easily switch off for those that do not wish to see said effects and they will look like nice normal ships, and will stay looking normal until if or when you decided you ever wanted to see them again.

The Comment of mine you just quoted was aimed at the complaint about how our teams are a mixed of all the nations in the game. Which having a mix of nations is not outside the realm of possibility or occurrences in history. :Smile_Default:

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1
  • Cool 1

[FORM]
[FORM]
Members
107 posts
2,683 battles
8 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

The Comment of mine you just quoted was aimed at the complaint about how our teams are a mixed of all the nations in the game. Which having a mix of nations is not outside the realm of possibility or occurrences in history. :Smile_Default:

Yeah, but US & JP tier 5 carriers fighting side by side isn't going to fit in anyone's world of "purist" - but it does fit in the world of imagination! :)

[RKLES]
Members
7,200 posts
8,971 battles

Yeah, but US & JP tier 5 carriers fighting side by side isn't going to fit in anyone's world of "purist" - but it does fit in the world of imagination! :)

Lol check out around the time of WWI and a little before as well. And of course after 1945. You will find Japanese ships sailing with and even assting allied nations ( I was little surprised myself to find out Japan was on allied side of WWI). Times change, and actually main problem with Japan in WWII era was due to  some bad world political choices that maybe should have been made a little better and certain powerful and radical military leaders in Japan. Had heard even the Emperor wanted peace instead of ear, but that commander in chief of army blocked that from happening.

[FORM]
[FORM]
Members
107 posts
2,683 battles

Lol check out around the time of WWI and a little before as well.

I have a BA in history, so I'm aware of how times can and do change. Either way, I'm going to get to gaming. Glad that there's the little gear icon and it was easy to things tweaked to my preference.

[RKLES]
Members
7,200 posts
8,971 battles
7 minutes ago, TheArc said:

I have a BA in history, so I'm aware of how times can and do change. Either way, I'm going to get to gaming. Glad that there's the little gear icon and it was easy to things tweaked to my preference.

Welcome to the game, and have fun.

If you enjoy historical discussions be sure to check out the historical discussions part of the forum, some great info and discussions in there. :fish_book:

• Cool 1

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
2 hours ago, TheArc said:

I'm not sure who pissed in your Cornflakes, but wouldn't a "purist" be upset enough by the mix of nation ships out of the gate? I just find the neon crap annoying, and I figured it was worth looking for a fix (and GoldPile helped me out.)

Yeah... Sorry Arc. Definitely a lot shorter than I should have been so my apologies. 

2 hours ago, Mister_Rawr said:

There's been lots of ... let's say discussion on the merits of historically-inspired and entertainment-inspired units in the game.  This discussion has left many of our old-timers with bruised and rather sensitive impressions of the subject.  It's kind of mellowed in the last year or so, but can still be a very touchy subject.

I won't say his comments were justified, but that's probably what caused them.

And this I think pretty much nails it. Again- sorry. 

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
9,674 posts
7,466 battles
3 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

But I can see how ARP might look little odd, either people like the look of ARP ships or they don’t.

3 hours ago, TheArc said:

Tnx. And... yeah.

wows-wtf.jpg

Besides the Nikolai, the T3 Wakatake, St. Louis, Nassau, T8 Benson, Tirpitz, Lexington, Charles Martel, Chapayev, Shokaku, Kagero and Bismarck all have Halloween perma-camos as well. You can turn them off in the same place you turned off the ARP content.

• Cool 1