You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Stormie1126

Can I pick everyone's brains for a hot minute?

70 comments in this topic

Members
246 posts
1,360 battles

Ok, so I'm going to try to make this as little of a rant/vent as possible, but it's going to come through a little bit because god D--MIT this game is pissing me off right now...

So a little preamble before I get into why I'm so frustrated: I've got 850ish battles under my belt, and I've heard it said 'anyone under 1000 battles is still considered a newbie', but I also feel like I've also got a good grasp on the game's mechanics, I'm not a super elite player, but I can aim well enough my salvos land where an enemy ship is, I read up on the specific tactics to use for each ship I get, I try and be a team player to the best of my ability, I don't free XP or premium buy my way into tiers I shouldn't be in, I work my way up, I always try and analyze and improve-basically I feel like I have the right approach and mentality to do reasonably well at this game. And I'm also not a player who NEEDS to win in order to have fun-to be honest I really don't care if my team wins, or even if I die, so long as I do well in a majority of matches before it ends.

But there's a couple things I've seen-one that's been occurring for a long time, and one that started just recently, that is just KILLING my enjoyment, and in some ways they're tied into each other.

My main two types are cruisers and battleships...and when it comes to battleships lately, I just can NOT hit anything due to dispersion. It's like a switch got turned off somewhere...or on, depending how you look at it. My groupings are all landing where the ship is, I'm leading properly...but even at point blank ranges, the dispersion is just REAMING my ability to land hits. And when the shells DO hit...they do jackall, whether I'm fighting a cruiser or another battleship, whether they're angled or broadside, I'm just taking slivers off the health bar. But then every ship targeting me, regardless of whether they hit with one shell or 10, is taking sizable or outright huge chunks off of my health, even when I'm angled. And worse yet, it's like every enemy battleship has no dispersion factor when shooting at me, they're landing with a majority of their shells.

This, on top of seeing some really crappy play from a majority of cruiser captains lately, where they'll rush in then turn tail and just FLEE the second an enemy appears on the map without firing a shot, leaving us BB captains with no support, so I'll have to retreat, which means I'm at longer ranges than I want to be, which only makes the dispersion factor worse (or just play more passively and stay further back, which leads to the same issue/result), means my total damage and thus rewards are just gods freaking awful.

Which brings me to the next irritation....

I cannot understand how I'm seeing captains get 100+k damage, with 300-400k+ credit and 2-3k+ XP rewards. Part of what makes a game fun is that feeling of reward, right? And of course, no one should be getting like 200k+ credit rewards for 500 damage dealt...but the way things are, it's just...so detrimental to the fun factor for me. I mean, even in my Nurnberg, which I usually do fairly well in, I top out at 50-60k damage in a match, which will result in a credit return of 100-200k and combined XP of 1-2k...with premium status and flag boosters. This...just doesn't add up in the slightest for me, how captains are getting such high damage and rewards, how they're so consistently accurate when my guns feel like they're being manned by the mentally challenged.

I honestly don't know what I'm doing wrong. Like I said, I know how to lead, my groupings are all landing where the enemy is, just not actually hitting them, and I can't seem to deal more than token damage regardless of which part of the ship I aim for when I'm close enough to actually aim for specific parts. What truly irks me is, as far as actually hitting a target, it wasn't always this way-sure I'd have the occasional match or three where Dispersion RNGesus was ignoring my prayers, but for the most part, my shells were hitting at a level that felt normal...but even then, the whole damage dealt from those hits and the resulting rewards were the same as previously described, 50-60k damage, 100-200k credits and XP of 1-2k with premium and boosters, and back then I'd still see other captains with insanely larger damage dealt and rewards.

What do I do to fix this? Can I fix this? Is there something I'm missing? Or is it literally just a really long stretch of absolutely s--t luck?

Edited by Stormie1126
  • Cool 4

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,567 posts

Okay, step one: You need soup
Step two: It sounds to me like you're having a run of bad luck and poor RNG rolls. I suggest you take a few days off, try your hand at something less stressful and come back with fresh eyes. I find that usually helps a lot, if just to gain a new perspective on what's happening. Time away to clear your head might help you see something you're missing

• Cool 2

Members
246 posts
1,360 battles
2 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

...is this a joke I'm not getting, or literal?

Also, I've taken time off before. I've had the game for....2 years? And at various times have taken breaks anywhere from a week or two to 6 months. Hasn't seemed to make a difference, beyond just letting the frustration ebb; the results end up being the same.

Edited by Stormie1126

[SOUP]
7,567 posts
2 minutes ago, Stormie1126 said:

Soup can calm the nerves and soothe the soul!  ^.^  Some people will tell you to have a snickers. Me? I recommend soup, much easier to tailor to your taste.   Once that sweet ambrosia is flowing through your veins then you might have a sudden moment of clarity. At the very least it'll give you something to do that isn't warship related

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[INTEL]
Members
8,587 posts
25,725 battles
16 hours ago, Stormie1126 said:

I cannot understand how I'm seeing captains get 100+k damage, with 300-400k+ credit and 2-3k+ XP rewards. Part of what makes a game fun is that feeling of reward, right? And of course, no one should be getting like 200k+ credit rewards for 500 damage dealt...but the way things are, it's just...so detrimental to the fun factor for me. I mean, even in my Nurnberg, which I usually do fairly well in, I top out at 50-60k damage in a match, which will result in a credit return of 100-200k and combined XP of 1-2k...with premium status and flag boosters. This...just doesn't add up in the slightest for me, how captains are getting such high damage and rewards, how they're so consistently accurate when my guns feel like they're being manned by the mentally challenged.

First, for those captains who consistently get high damage, good accuracy is only part of the whole package of solid performance. They also know where their ships should be and what they should be shooting at, and finally, they are very good at keeping their ships alive. The last is important, because the first rule of unicum play is "don't die". They also do other things that generate XP, like cap and kill planes and farm green defense flags.

Do those things and the XP will come. 

They use mods that show they where ships are going and where they were when they disappeared. Use those. 

XP is a factor of the % of a ship's health pool you do. If you do 10K to a BB the XP gain is small, because 10K is nothing to a BB. But if you do 10K to a DD, you've killed half its health. Big XP. 

• Cool 2

Members
246 posts
1,360 battles
2 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

Soup can calm the nerves and soothe the soul!  ^.^  Some people will tell you to have a snickers. Me? I recommend soup, much easier to tailor to your taste.   Once that sweet ambrosia is flowing through your veins then you might have a sudden moment of clarity. At the very least it'll give you something to do that isn't warship related

Goootcha lol. Wasn't sure and had to check :P

2 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

First, for those captains who consistently get high damage, good accuracy is only part of the whole package of solid performance. They also know where their ships should be and what they should be shooting at, and finally, they are very good at keeping their ships alive. The last is important, because the first rule of unicum play is "don't die". They also do other things that generate XP, like cap and kill planes and farm green defense flags.

Do those things and the XP will come. 

They use mods that show they where ships are going and where they were when they disappeared. Use those. 

XP is a factor of the % of a ship's health pool you do. If you do 10K to a BB the XP gain is small, because 10K is nothing to a BB. But if you do 10K to a DD, you've killed half its health. Big XP. 

So I've seen this term pop up more and more lately in my perusal of the forums, 'unicum'. I take it to mean elite player, but...how/why/is there something more specific than just 'elite player' that it means?
As far as the flags....last I checked, damage dealt was the be all end all for XP and thus credit rewards, with everything else giving very little. Did this change? I mean I wouldn't say I farm for these flags, but you betcha when I see the opportunity arise I go for it, so I get what I'd say is a fair share of them, and they never seem to really give a sizeable boost to rewards....

I'm...hesitant to use mods. It just feels like cheating, even if certain ones are approved by WG. But if that's really the only way to try and counter the issue...:/

[FML]
Members
1,767 posts
10,138 battles
4 minutes ago, Stormie1126 said:

So I've seen this term pop up more and more lately in my perusal of the forums, 'unicum'. I take it to mean elite player, but...how/why/is there something more specific than just 'elite player' that it means?
As far as the flags....last I checked, damage dealt was the be all end all for XP and thus credit rewards, with everything else giving very little. Did this change? I mean I wouldn't say I farm for these flags, but you betcha when I see the opportunity arise I go for it, so I get what I'd say is a fair share of them, and they never seem to really give a sizeable boost to rewards....

I'm...hesitant to use mods. It just feels like cheating, even if certain ones are approved by WG. But if that's really the only way to try and counter the issue...:/

Unicum in this context means a player with a 60% winrate or higher aka purple, cos a popular player stats site used purple to indicate unicum players. Super unicum is 65%. 

• Cool 1

Members
246 posts
1,360 battles
7 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Unicum in this context means a player with a 60% winrate or higher aka purple, cos a popular player stats site used purple to indicate unicum players. Super unicum is 65%. 

How exactly did that term come do describe that kind of player?

[HINON]
Members
2,270 posts
6,346 battles
39 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

What is the daily Chob special Soup currently? I need some Soup

[AXANR]
263 posts
11,146 battles
Just now, 212thAttackBattalion said:

We all need soup!! 

Stormie1126 My resolution to the situation was to play Conqueror and nothing else. 

[ASHIP]
Members
597 posts
5,316 battles
49 minutes ago, Stormie1126 said:

I cannot understand how I'm seeing captains get 100+k damage, with 300-400k+ credit and 2-3k+ XP rewards.

I remember feeling very similarly when I was starting out. The truth is that once you get to tiers 9-10, especially for BBs and some of the CAs, numbers like that are gonna become pretty routine, simply by the fact that the average healthpools of ships are much higher at that stage. And once you've gotten used to achieving those kinds of numbers at the higher tiers, going back down and doing similar things in the mid tiers won't seem that difficult to you either.

49 minutes ago, Stormie1126 said:

My main two types are cruisers and battleships...

I took the liberty to take a quick glance at your stats.

Starting with BBs, your stats look pretty in-line with what might be expected of a new player. There's lots of space for improvement, but no immediate problems spring out and it doesn't seem like anything a few thousand more battles worth of experience can't fix. BBs at these tiers are generally pretty inaccurate (I once managed to miss a broadside Amagi at 4.5km with all 12 shells in my NewMexico, and I have a lot of practice aiming in this game), but can tank a lot of damage and will win most 1v1 engagements with other ships. The key then is to buddy up with your fellow BBs and make a concerted push towards one of the cap circles. If there's DDs around or your team is weaker on this flank you slow yourself down by wiggling more and by choosing a longer route. If you get singled out you drop behind your fellow BBs and let them take the heat for a while. The rest is simply a matter of wiggling properly, target prioritisation and knowing when to run away.

When it comes to cruisers, things start looking a bit more grim. You haven't helped yourself by choosing lines with some very weak early ships. I remember the Yorck, Karlsruhe and Kolberg being particular pains to grind through.

But your main problem seems to be your very low survival rate. You just aren't surviving long enough to do real damage or affect the outcome of matches. I also notice that you seem to be using a lot of torpedoes, which really isn't a good thing. At these tiers torpedoes on CA/CLs are a deterrent against BB rushes; nothing more. If you're using them then you've probably already screwed up. My guess would be that you're spending too much time bow-in, which brings you too close to enemy BBs, and that you tend to overcommit in foolish rushes without adequate support. Remember that BBs can often pen you straight through the bow; angling doesn't protect you nearly as much as you think! My recommendation would be to stay at longer ranges (13-15km) away from the nearest enemy BB. It's ok if you show them broadside, just watch carefully and dodge using both changes in direction and speed when they fire at you. Never be the obvious target for the enemy BBs: never be the closest, never be the one showing the most broadside, never be the one sailing in straight lines for the longest, and above all never sail alone. The rest is simply a matter of raining HE down upon them. Cruisers are high-DPM ships; if you survive long enough it's almost impossible not to do lots of damage.

As for DDs, you seem to just be suicide charging the enemy. Maybe watch a few guides? There's lots of good content on youtube/the forums on the basics of DD play.

16 minutes ago, Stormie1126 said:

I've heard that the term as well as the associated colors are originally from world of warcraft. My own experience tells me that many online/mobile games use similar red-yellow-green-turquoise-purple colors to signify power level.

Edited by senseNOTmade
  • Cool 2

[LEGIT]
Members
53 posts
17,430 battles

Tia is referring to in game options that will help you learn/sharpen your map awareness.  Where and when to be/what to shoot at. In game option like last known location. The rewards system/economics got an overhaul a long while ago ;) aka doing same dmg value to a bb or a ca or dd will net lowest to highest xp. 

example bb has 50k hp and you do 5k dmg = 10% of hp 

example ca has 25k hp and you do 5k dmg = 20% of hp

example dd has 15k hp and you do 5k dmg = 33% of hp 

the xp you get from each shot is just as proportional, not saying you cant have good results farming bb dmg … it will just take much more of it to get high xp results and to get those results you have to live long enough to accomplish said high dmg, meaning map awareness must be high and on point.  Add to that most bbs will not be in caps generally, aka shooting dds and cas in caps also get you a multitude of additional ribbons, which you could liken to xp modifiers …  any one feel free to clarify further or correct my simplification, please do  

[SOUP]
7,567 posts
22 minutes ago, Stormie1126 said:

The word has roots in Latin, it means "A unique example or specimen"

I'd recommend avoiding the stat-game. You'll be better off in the long run and play with a lot less stress from having to worry about your KDR

13 minutes ago, 212thAttackBattalion said:

Last one that went up was a nice simple Zucchini Soup

As usual the next will be up after I've had some sleep and taken a glance through some cookbooks. I gotta go nap but I trust you'll steer this wayward lamb back onto the path of calm and collected gameplay.
@Stormie1126, most of the folks around here can help you pretty well with advice and tips, though most of them might be asleep right now. If anyone can give you solid advice, it's folks like Tala, Stoggy and 212th (I can't really advise on gameplay quality, I'm in it for the fun, not the high numbers). But you have to remember that they can't predict your playstyle in detail unless you have replays handy. Just ask the right questions and you'll get the right answers. But above all; take a breath, step back from what is causing you strife, then pick your course... do that and you should be able to find a path to improved results, certainly much quicker than trying to bash your way through (as much fun as that can be sometimes)

• Cool 4

Members
246 posts
1,360 battles

@senseNOTmade Yeah, the Yorck is a ship that I am noooot liking. Definitely not compared to the Nurnberg, which I love (at least once I learned how squishy it is and to stay way the hell back XD)

As far as survival rate...yeah, it's low, but it's also gotten better as I've learned tactics...but not as much as it should have due to what I said about super accuracy and massive damage dealt to me from enemies despite not showing broadside, especially when I'm in my BBs. So while sure there might still be room for some improvement, I also feel like a good chunk of the issue is beyond my control.

I actually don't use torps much in my cruiser, unless I happen to wind up next to an enemy. I think all those launches you see are from when I used to take my Nicholas out a lot, and yeah I'll fully admit in that ship alone I rush in to try to cap and to lay down smoke for teammates, and throw torps at any enemy who's rushed in-which as I'm aware, is the general role of all DDs, and since that playstyle was getting me massacred 5 seconds in (which also improved slightly as time went), I just kind of abandoned DDs all together. So I think that might be bringing down the overall survival rate. For BBs and CA's, I do (or try to do) what you suggested already-stay back, let others take the heat, try and move in when in a brawler BB when it's advantageous to do so. Problem is even when I fall back the enemy doesn't switch targets, and since they're doing more damage to me than I am to them....

Members
246 posts
1,360 battles
13 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

I'd recommend avoiding the stat-game. You'll be better off in the long run and play with a lot less stress from having to worry about your KDR

I do, for the most part. The only ones I pay attention to are the end of match ones I already mentioned (if you could even call those stats like you can everything else): damage dealt and credits and XP recieved, since that's your reward for playing, which is what's used to advance, which is also a reward. I don't even really pay attention to KDR, since as others have mentioned, it's about % of damage done to a ship, not the actual kill.

It's just frustrating to be struggling so much when you're *trying* to do what you should be doing/play smart(er), and seemingly due a lot to simple crap RNG.

[INTEL]
Members
8,587 posts
25,725 battles

Yes, elite player. Look on wows stats and numbers and see what/whose numbers are purple. Those are unicum numbers. Getting into the purple should be your goal. I am nowhere near unicum, so I feel your pain :).

Damage dealt is only part of the package, perhaps the most important part, but it is one of only many items. Spotting damage, capping, defense flags, and other things also bring XP. 

I don't use mods myself, for the same reason. It feels like cheating. 

Let me also add that cruiser play is difficult, especially for new players. If you really want to learn positioning and how to control the flow of a match, you need to be in a DD. I'd suggest grinding through the IJN line. That will teach you how to position yourself, how to control space so the Reds can't use it, where you need to be to stop a Red push, and how to find that golden moment to try to seize the Red cap. IJN DDs are the most difficult, but they can teach you the most. 

BBs have a very low skill floor but an incredibly high skill ceiling. It is easy to play a BB and rack up damage, but playing a BB so it can affect the outcome of a match is a matter of good positioning and more art than science, very difficult. Paradoxically, playing DDs will help you understand positioning even for a DD, and will also help you develop that sixth sense that says "torps inbound there".

Some simple things that will help a lot:

• always plan to have an island to turn off behind
  • when you enter a space, already have it planned where you will exit.
  • dont be shy about going silent. calculate how much damage you will inflict vs how much will receive. if the math doesn't work, don't shoot.
  • always assume that good dd drivers will have torps in choke points.
  • many cruiser drivers have died because cruisers almost never imagine that dd drivers have targeted them. dont be that guy.
  • do not chase ships. chasing almost always takes you away from the key point on the map, which is usually the center.
  • most maps are two-cap maps. your team needs to take a pair and hold them. find the caps that form defensible pairs like B and C on Okinawa or A and B on Neighbors. call out plans, people need guidance. be polite, explain why
  • support your local dds. every living dd increases the odds you will win
  • do not fire from smoke unless you can turn off behind an island and you are certain no torps will be on you. firing while smoked in open water is a death sentence.
  • watch your priority target button. if the number is higher than the number of ships you can see, a dd has torps on you. turn off. if something targets you and then stops, it means torps have  been dropped. turn your ship.

Good luck!

• Cool 2

Members
246 posts
1,360 battles
3 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

always assume that good dd drivers will have torps in choke points.

Lol, that's something I didn't need to learn, knew it before I even started playing. Choke points are ALWAYS bad, no matter what game you're playing XD

4 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

many cruiser drivers have died because cruisers almost never imagine that dd drivers have targeted them. dont be that guy.

I'm not ;) I try to avoid red DD's like the goddamn plague.

6 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

do not chase ships. chasing almost always takes you away from the key point on the map, which is usually the center.

Mostly I don't, but...sometimes I get distracted >_>

7 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

call out plans, people need guidance. be polite, explain why

Oh, the number of teams I've had where I'm speaking into a void....wish I had a dollar for every one >_<

8 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

do not fire from smoke unless you can turn off behind an island and you are certain no torps will be on you. firing while smoked in open water is a death sentence.

Now see, here's something else I don't get...I see an enemy firing from smoke-not the ship itself, but the muzzle flashes, so I sight in on those-and try to hit them, I can't. They do the same to me, it's like they're laser locked on.

[NO]
Members
360 posts
13,112 battles

Patience. You are still getting a grasp of things. Your aim may be good but understand as u switch ships even in the same nation line due to different gun velocities the lead will be slightly to significantly different (colo to NC has a significant different lead). 

Also each ship has a different proper engagement range.

for bbs it is the range you can reliably citidal and one shot cruisers

for CA it is the most diverse and usually changes depending on where you can best survive, use consumables and depending on ship where you can best support your dds while annoy bbs.

for dds, I’m not a good dd player. Yes even after 1694 battles in dds I still am a nub in dds. I am not being humble it is the fact. The only reason I have a 55% winrate in my fletcher is NOT due to me knowing how to play dds but rather my experience in other ship types, my slightly better aim but more importantly My Map Awarness. My positioning and ability to predict enemy dd play is goddam AWFUL and in a dd knifefight I often trade more health then  the enemy. But my experience in game makes up for it. 

Thus just play more. Watch others play. Never blame the team. Always blame yourself since you can’t force a team to play better by you can always force yourself to play better. Same thing, blaming RNg is useless, since u can’t change it. Change how you approach it, how you limit its influence wether through engagement range, position in regards to islands and enemy, or staying alive so you can throw more salvos.

In regards to Bb survival. Do not suicide but also do not stay too far behind. Look at the minimal. Ask yourself where is the next big engagement and can you make it there in time. Don’t take too far of a path if it means you will not be able to support next big engagement. A rule of thumb is if you have not even yet used two heals by the time a third of the game passed you may be too far. If you are barley touched when half of your team dies you are too far. When most of the team is yelling at you, you are too far. 

• Cool 1

[LEGIT]
Members
53 posts
17,430 battles

@Stormie1126 when firing from smoke try be moving forward a bit then reverse repeat, doing this will also help you get underway quicker if torps are coming or smoke is about to time out, also don't sit in smoke broadside, try to be angled this helps reduce the chances of the enemy of centering between front and rear "muzzle flashes", also know the fire from smoke penalty for the ship you are driving, its possible you maybe seen just as if the smoke isn't there. 

It takes time to learn and understand the 270ish ships that are playable in game and the maps, the likely dd spots, the shot lanes bbs and cas tend to favor.....

as Taichunger recommended in short always be looking for your next couple of moves, try'n to play instant to instant is very hard maintain

good luck and best wishes for you 

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
2 hours ago, Stormie1126 said:

*THINGS*

I'm actually shocked that I don't see 30 replies asking for you to post replays. That's usually what happens when people complain about any game mechanic here.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,802 posts
15,249 battles

I just can NOT hit anything due to dispersion. It's like a switch got turned off somewhere...or on, depending how you look at it. My groupings are all landing where the ship is, I'm leading properly...but even at point blank ranges, the dispersion is just REAMING my ability to land hits.

Dispersion on ALL ships is much better than it should be; historically ships were lucky to get a 5% hit ratio.

on top of seeing some really crappy play from a majority of cruiser captains lately, where they'll rush in then turn tail and just FLEE the second an enemy appears on the map without firing a shot, leaving us BB captains with no support

Get used to seeing this; it happens much more often at higher tiers.

NOT a joke, @Chobittsu has shared some killer soup recipes here on the Forum, although now might not have been the best time to bring that fact up. Chobittsu thinks that soup is the fix-all for a plethora of issues. Honestly, it never hurts.

[PVE]
Members
512 posts
4,332 battles
1 hour ago, Stormie1126 said:

I'm not ;) I try to avoid red DD's like the goddamn plague

Now see, here's something else I don't get...I see an enemy firing from smoke-not the ship itself, but the muzzle flashes, so I sight in on those-and try to hit them, I can't. They do the same to me, it's like they're laser locked on.

Certainly don't rush DDs but fire at them in most scenarios. The only time I don't fire at them is when I am in the open against a large portion of the red team. Getting caught in the open and focused is no good.

Don't aim at the flashes, aim between and below them a bit. Remember that the guns are above the hull.

Members
246 posts
1,360 battles
2 hours ago, Umikami said:

Get used to seeing this; it happens much more often at higher tiers.

Funny, you'd think it'd get better as people learned the game :P

2 hours ago, Umikami said:

Dispersion on ALL ships is much better than it should be; historically ships were lucky to get a 5% hit ratio.

Not trying to be a jerk, but it annoys me SO much when people say this. It's like 'yeah, ok....and?' I mean, it's a video game, and one that's confirmed as intended to be 'arcadey' by the devs. No one would have fun if matches took  an hour cuz dispersion was that bad. That's saying 'don't complain that X mechanic is bad, cuz it could be worse'; if it's still a bad mechanic a player has every right to ask for it to be better. In regards to dispersion specifically, I'm not saying there should be NO dispersion, but there could/should, I think be some tweaks, since there's also a penetration/damage RNG-RNG based on RNG is something I hate in games, it's why as much as I want to love a game like Elite:Dangerous, I play it so rarely, cuz literally EVERYTHING in that game is RNG built on RNG built on RNG built on more freaking RNG.

2 hours ago, holycrazyasian said:

Your aim may be good but understand as u switch ships even in the same nation line due to different gun velocities the lead will be slightly to significantly different

Yup, knew this-painfully so since getting the Yorck and seeing the difference between AP and HE lead times. But I've also been using the ALT key to bring up the shell times so that my lead time is 90% spot on for a good while now.

1 hour ago, MasterDiggs said:

Don't aim at the flashes, aim between and below them a bit. Remember that the guns are above the hull.

Knew this as well. Still can't hit anything in smoke but get hit constantly :P

2 hours ago, w4spl3g said:

I'm actually shocked that I don't see 30 replies asking for you to post replays. That's usually what happens when people complain about any game mechanic here.

TBH I was expecting a lot of toxicity. I've...not had the best impression of a lot of the playerbase from perusing the forums >_> Glad everyone so far has been neutral or pleasant. But yeah, a couple others have mentioned that too, that they can only help so much if they haven't actually SEEN me play. I think I might, is there an in game recorder, and is it an automatic thing that saves somewhere to my drive or do I have to activate it, or do I need a third party program?

• Cool 1

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
17 minutes ago, Stormie1126 said:

TBH I was expecting a lot of toxicity. I've...not had the best impression of a lot of the playerbase from perusing the forums >_> Glad everyone so far has been neutral or pleasant. But yeah, a couple others have mentioned that too, that they can only help so much if they haven't actually SEEN me play. I think I might, is there an in game recorder, and is it an automatic thing that saves somewhere to my drive or do I have to activate it, or do I need a third party program?

I think there is a 3rd party thing but it's literally just opening the preferences.xml file in the main game directory and changing the <isReplayEnabled> false </isReplayEnabled> to true. I also strongly recommend installing mxstats, which is a 3rd party tool, because it does analysis (via the python.log) per game and makes it easy to upload to the wowsreplays.com site which will convert them to youtube videos making it easy to keep some kind of replay from battles from early patches (replays are incompatible with different game versions so every patch breaks replays from the prior one).

Edited by w4spl3g