You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
legoboy0401

Secondary Spec or Survivability/Tank spec for French BBs?

Secondary or Tank captain build for French BBs  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Turrene

• Secondary
    • Tank
    • I don't know, as I don't play the French BBs.
  2. 2. Courbet

• Secondary
    • Tank
  3. 3. Bretagne

• Secondary
    • Tank
  4. 4. Normandie

• Secondary
    • Tank
  5. 5. Lyon

• Secondary
    • Tank
  6. 6. Richelieu

• Secondary
    • Tank
  7. 7. Alsace(after the coming nerf)

• Secondary
    • Tank
  8. 8. Alsace(if nerf does not go through)

• Secondary
    • Tank
  9. 9. Republique

• Secondary
    • Tank
  10. 10. French BB line overall, with one captain and NO re-specs

• Secondary
    • Tank

14 comments in this topic

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles

I noticed a reoccurring theme of the French BBs is their good secondaries. Courbet in particular has a very good range for a Tier IV BB. But I also have noticed the Frenchies do not take damage well. Which captain build for the French BB line as a whole would be better in the current meta(not talking about what's popular, only what's most effective)?

What do you think? Please answer the poll to tell me. There are 8 ship-specific questions and 1 for the line overall. I appreciate your feedback in advance!

Edited by legoboy0401

Supertester
418 posts
6,167 battles

I used a tank build all the way up to the République. Once I reached the Rép, I made a unique build that is half tank half secondaries, and it worked pretty well. Basically you get stuff like Fire Prevention, Concealment Expert, Manual Secondaries, Superintendent, Adrenaline Rush, Preventive Maintenance and then either Priority Target or Expert Loader (it's a personal choice, I for one enjoy PT on all my ships). Then on the upgrades I use the secondary range one. Combine that with a secondary flag, and République still gets a very respectable 10.1km range, and I don't have to sacrifice the concealment or the tankiness. I really enjoyed that build, because I can easily play at range when necessary, but if I get close my secondaries still have decent range and good accuracy for a brawl. Just be aware that french secondaries aren't very resistant, which is why stuff like Preventive Maintenance is very important for any sort of secondary build.

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
15 minutes ago, Captain_Benevolent_Fair said:

I used a tank build all the way up to the République. Once I reached the Rép, I made a unique build that is half tank half secondaries, and it worked pretty well. Basically you get stuff like Fire Prevention, Concealment Expert, Manual Secondaries, Superintendent, Adrenaline Rush, Preventive Maintenance and then either Priority Target or Expert Loader (it's a personal choice, I for one enjoy PT on all my ships). Then on the upgrades I use the secondary range one. Combine that with a secondary flag, and République still gets a very respectable 10.1km range, and I don't have to sacrifice the concealment or the tankiness. I really enjoyed that build, because I can easily play at range when necessary, but if I get close my secondaries still have decent range and good accuracy for a brawl. Just be aware that french secondaries aren't very resistant, which is why stuff like Preventive Maintenance is very important for any sort of secondary build.

Same as Massachusett's. 127/38 caliber twin mounts are very fragile as well. I will say, though, that I will probably stop at the Richelieu, because I'm less interested in fake ships.

What then do you recommend I build for? 

[AWP]
Members
784 posts
3,066 battles

I haven’t voted yet because I am torn. Secondary builds are fun but aren’t the most competitive. It really just depends on if you want to have fun and enjoy all the cannons going off like an old pirate ship or would you like to be more serious and focus on dealing damage and staying alive. That’s really your decision. 

[AK-47]
Members
155 posts
3,106 battles

I started off trying to do secondarys but just like the above person has said its not really competitive and doesn't do much unless you are really up close and you make sure they don't all get destroy... I vote heavily for tank since its a beast

[FLS]
Alpha Tester
573 posts
2,544 battles

Secondary builds are a laugh, but really not very competitive these days. You have to give up too much survivability to make them work.

Tank builds across the board.

--Helms

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
On 7/12/2018 at 11:13 PM, Belyy_Klyk said:

I haven’t voted yet because I am torn. Secondary builds are fun but aren’t the most competitive. It really just depends on if you want to have fun and enjoy all the cannons going off like an old pirate ship or would you like to be more serious and focus on dealing damage and staying alive. That’s really your decision. 

I'm going with a Tank build, as I already have KMS BBs for secondaries. Another reason, though, that I'm going with a Tank build for French Battleships is that they are quite fragile, and really need all the help they can get shrugging off HE/Fire spam.

Members
1,034 posts
95 battles
On 7/13/2018 at 11:40 AM, legoboy0401 said:

Which captain build for the French BB line as a whole would be better in the current meta(not talking about what's popular, only what's most effective)?

1) Secondary builds are a derpy fun, but they are not the most effective in the current meta. Stealth or tank are generally favourable. Unlike many other current BBs, Frenchies have citadels and brawling in them is not recommended. French BBs from Normandie onward (with the exception of Richelieu) work best as flankers (hint: that's why they have the Speed Boost consumable).

[AWP]
Members
784 posts
3,066 battles
35 minutes ago, legoboy0401 said:

I'm going with a Tank build, as I already have KMS BBs for secondaries. Another reason, though, that I'm going with a Tank build for French Battleships is that they are quite fragile, and really need all the help they can get shrugging off HE/Fire spam.

That is the more ideal build for sure. I would love to have 2 19 pointers to switch between for fun but when I go down the line it’ll be a tank build.

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
56 minutes ago, geser98 said:

1) Secondary builds are a derpy fun, but they are not the most effective in the current meta. Stealth or tank are generally favourable. Unlike many other current BBs, Frenchies have citadels and brawling in them is not recommended. French BBs from Normandie onward (with the exception of Richelieu) work best as flankers (hint: that's why they have the Speed Boost consumable).

I learned the hard way that secondary builds on anything but KMS BBs are useless due to people camping further back these days(with the exception of course of tier III BBs, where Tier II(and torpedo-less) cruisers sometimes come within secondary range even though they have no reason to.). I have a old secondary build(for Yamato, it was intended) on my Fuso, and it's pointless. I need FP to ride out the storm of HE/Fire spam brought back from near-death by the USN CL line release.

Even my Scharnhorst is getting into secondary range(and torpedo range) much less these days.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,177 posts
14,605 battles

Tier VI Normandie - Main Battery / Stealth Build right now, FP would be nice to have later with more points.

Tier VII Lyon - AA Build - Intend to finalize with Stealth added into the build after enough points.

Tier VIII Richelieu - AA Build - I tried Secondary Spec initially but found the secondaries to be incredibly pathetic despite the respectable range.  Lack of volume of fire as well as rate of fire for the secondary battery.  Later goal to get Stealth Build added into this build.

Tier IX Alsace - 19pt IFHE Secondary Spec, no CE which I prize in my BBs.  French Buzzsaw.

Tier X Republique - 19pt Secondary / Stealth Build - I intend to experiment with a Main Battery / Survival Build sometime to see how it is.

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
6 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Tier VI Normandie - Main Battery / Stealth Build right now, FP would be nice to have later with more points.

Tier VII Lyon - AA Build - Intend to finalize with Stealth added into the build after enough points.

Tier VIII Richelieu - AA Build - I tried Secondary Spec initially but found the secondaries to be incredibly pathetic despite the respectable range.  Lack of volume of fire as well as rate of fire for the secondary battery.  Later goal to get Stealth Build added into this build.

Tier IX Alsace - 19pt IFHE Secondary Spec, no CE which I prize in my BBs.  French Buzzsaw.

Tier X Republique - 19pt Secondary / Stealth Build - I intend to experiment with a Main Battery / Survival Build sometime to see how it is.

I'd do those, but I'm only using a general captain, and no re-specs for the entire line.

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,577 posts

I use a secondary build on my Republique, basically gives me a CIWS

[-I-]
Members
721 posts
8,274 battles

The Republique eats HE and pen damage like they are going out of style.  While having the secondaries handy late game, I'd rather make those big guns sing every 20 odd seconds with as much accuracy as possible.  Then again, I never enjoyed the secondary builds, don't like German BB's beyond the Gnei either.