You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
IronShibby

Haida offensive build

18 comments in this topic

[NSWO]
Members
58 posts
3,468 battles

I bought the Haida recently; played a few games and;  I suck. The current captains skills layout was taken directly from the littlewhitemouse review, and I couldn't make it work.

I have now gone with an offensive build instead:

5b47fd1b7ae46_Screenshot(176).thumb.png.d99aca71d49c71bdfbd98b57ff10fe9e.png

Firstly I am not getting torp hits, not at close range in caps as destroyers move; and nothing at all at 6-8km's. I can lose the range in favour of getting some hits. So the first new item is TA.

It would be nice to have the faster reload, but there still won't be a high number of torps spewing from the deck tubes even if I installed TAE. 

And the guns are anemic; they aren't getting kills on dd's in a short time and don't have any noteworthy effect on cruisers and battleships. 

Being a destroyer, I really wanted Last stand but i'm just going to have to be careful. Also concealment expert is notably absent; however in a Tier8 matchup your only worthwhile concealment is an island. Once I start shooting, i'm going to be seen. CE will come with the next 4 points, eventually, but this vessel needs to be close to get kills; RedTeam® know i'm there either because i'm firing, or because of radar/hydro which should be considered ubiquitous for simplicity sake. The upcoming and desirable skills are LS, CE, and SE but I will have to earn those.

The smoke will allow me to exit engagements but it's not magic; with a small area of smoke  there are various ships willing to spam the smoke ring and get the occasional hit ... bad news for me doing 1/4 speed. Then radar anyway. Yes I get hunted in this ship. 

Therefore I want to kill destroyers quickly, therefore BFT and IFHE (German dd's made me a spoilt brat for firepower). Quick kills so I can leave; it's got to be kills or it's a pointless exercise. Taking 99% of the hp of someone is not an achievement that helps the team. 

Expert Marksman cos I want to have shots down-range first. 

Let the fun begin.

Beta Testers
1,057 posts
13,870 battles
34 minutes ago, IronShibby said:

I bought the Haida recently; played a few games and;  I suck. The current captains skills layout was taken directly from the littlewhitemouse review, and I couldn't make it work.

I have now gone with an offensive build instead:

5b47fd1b7ae46_Screenshot(176).thumb.png.d99aca71d49c71bdfbd98b57ff10fe9e.png

Firstly I am not getting torp hits, not at close range in caps as destroyers move; and nothing at all at 6-8km's. I can lose the range in favour of getting some hits. So the first new item is TA.

It would be nice to have the faster reload, but there still won't be a high number of torps spewing from the deck tubes even if I installed TAE. 

And the guns are anemic; they aren't getting kills on dd's in a short time and don't have any noteworthy effect on cruisers and battleships. 

Being a destroyer, I really wanted Last stand but i'm just going to have to be careful. Also concealment expert is notably absent; however in a Tier8 matchup your only worthwhile concealment is an island. Once I start shooting, i'm going to be seen. CE will come with the next 4 points, eventually, but this vessel needs to be close to get kills; RedTeam® know i'm there either because i'm firing, or because of radar/hydro which should be considered ubiquitous for simplicity sake. The upcoming and desirable skills are LS, CE, and SE but I will have to earn those.

The smoke will allow me to exit engagements but it's not magic; with a small area of smoke  there are various ships willing to spam the smoke ring and get the occasional hit ... bad news for me doing 1/4 speed. Then radar anyway. Yes I get hunted in this ship. 

Therefore I want to kill destroyers quickly, therefore BFT and IFHE (German dd's made me a spoilt brat for firepower). Quick kills so I can leave; it's got to be kills or it's a pointless exercise. Taking 99% of the hp of someone is not an achievement that helps the team. 

Let the fun begin.

This is my Haida build with a 17 pt Captain (subject to change). I noticed you did not take CE...this is a must for the Haida and will give the ship the best Concealment in a tier 7 DD.

Haida build.JPG

Also as Prothall mentioned Last stand is a must on all DDs. I agree that a gunboat setup is the way to go, I have only one game in her but I got 4 kills in that game, all guns none with torps.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,808 posts
15,336 battles
1 hour ago, Prothall said:

No Last Stand?

You are asking for pain.

This!

[NSWO]
Members
58 posts
3,468 battles
1 hour ago, SgtSpud said:

This is my Haida build with a 17 pt Captain (subject to change). I noticed you did not take CE...this is a must for the Haida and will give the ship the best Concealment in a tier 7 DD.

Haida build.JPG

Also as Prothall mentioned Last stand is a must on all DDs. I agree that a gunboat setup is the way to go, I have only one game in her but I got 4 kills in that game, all guns none with torps.

Normally i'd agree with you. But the Haida is only useful up close. I only went against the CE dogma after some thought.... during your gunfight 1v1 with a destroyer how much is CE helping? 

How much when you're within 9.5k of a Cleveland? 

How much does it help when i'm silent at 6.4km from a target, and CE would only bring my detection down from 6.3 to 5.7? 

Is the CE better protection than an island? 

Fire guns = seen = CE irrelevant. 

Yes I do have it on every 10pt captain in every other destroyer i own ... I just couldn't fit it into my 'Offensive' 12pt captain build.

First game out, first kill: 

5b4821990dcb9_Screenshot(180).thumb.png.d500db3233249c9d4127e7a58b672151.png

Edited by IronShibby

[NSWO]
Members
58 posts
3,468 battles

Firstly, it works. 

Also, this was the closest torpedo dodge i've ever managed :)

5b4823feaf57b_Screenshot(182).thumb.png.483e9ec96c613eebde7174f0983d72bd.png

[LOU1]
Members
3,072 posts
8,161 battles

One thing CE does is it lets you disengage that little bit sooner.  Oftimes, you can dodge the killing or big damage blow by disappearing a few meters sooner.  Haven't played the Haida yet (getting her tomorrow), but every other ship I thought could forgo CE has always been disappointing because I gusess my playstyle depends on being able to sneak up and disengage a bit closer.

Edited by ExploratorOne

Beta Testers
1,057 posts
13,870 battles

Play her Shibby, try different things I'm sure she will grow on you.

[-RUM-]
[-RUM-]
Members
66 posts
5,021 battles

I went with an aggressive build as well.

PT, LS, BFT, IFHE <- suddenly getting 60k damage with just guns. Over 80k damage games now. 

Have added in AR. 4 second reloads now after 50% health lost. And playing 'in your face' style. You loose health ?

Now I'm not sure about SI, SE or CE. 

Will play some more before I figure that out.

Captain is almost 14 points. So will think on it. 

[NNC]
[NNC]
Beta Testers
398 posts
5,675 battles
On 7/13/2018 at 2:37 AM, IronShibby said:

It's not a torpedo boat, it's a waste of points trying to spec the commander around any of the torpedo skills

Also concealment expert is notably absent; however in a Tier8 matchup your only worthwhile concealment is an island.

You know, you can take CE and still hide behind islands. It's not like you have take one or the other. I understand that you will take it later, but there are so many benefits to being the stealthiest T7 DD in the game, radar or no radar

Therefore I want to kill destroyers quickly, therefore BFT and IFHE (German dd's made me a spoilt brat for firepower). Quick kills so I can leave; it's got to be kills or it's a pointless exercise.

IFHE is pointless if all you want to do is kill DDs quickly. Skills such as SE or CE increases your survivability in those brawls and maybe allow you to disengage alive.

If you want want to fire the first salvo, then CE is the better option. Among the DDs you're likely to encounter in Haida, you'll be able to spot most of them before they spot you. This gives you the time to manoeuvre, get your guns aimed at the target and fire the first salvo before they know what's going on. EM is fine, but AR will be better. You're not going to one shot that DD unless it detonates and you will be trading HP; might as well improve your ROF as you lose HP in a fight. 

[1776_]
Members
439 posts
7,975 battles

Play the way that works for you. I found the most success by being very aggressive, but my battles survived suffered. with CE i could get in to under 6kms and I would get the first 2 salvos and decimate that ship while SE helps tank the damage.  My biggest problem is I need a team to cover and distract while I'm getting into position. 102 battles in this ship, 71 gun kills, 2 by secondaries ( first time was funny), 12 flood and fire, and 13 torp kills. torps are more for area denial and a back up if a cruiser comes too close.

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,411 posts
3,583 battles
On 7/12/2018 at 9:37 PM, IronShibby said:

Okay, so here are my Haida stats up to now. Take it for what its worth. 

image.thumb.png.55b357f91d42d1bf14f75051a6d63304.png

My clan has 2 of the top 15 Haida players in the NA region. We run pretty much the same build. 

You are putting yourself at a severe disadvantage with your build. Its not about building towards offense... Haida already has plenty with her 1900 dmg HE shells. 

Here is the build I recommend. Take it or leave it its up to you, I am just going off of 500+ solo games of experience with High tier USN DD's at a 60%+ solo W/R. 

PT

LS

SE

CE

Afterwhich, you get IFHE (14)  then AR (16) and finally either BFT or SI (i prefer SI)(19)

PM doesn't help with your torps or racks, last stand is a must, CE allows you to dictate your engagement ranges and SE allows you to play more aggressive due to superior HP(you have more HP then a Shima! ) 

Members
329 posts
328 battles

I will try it as it was a russian DD, as trying to get it concealment/torps does not get a real advantage and guns do very little damage compared with Gadja Mada for example.

Will try it as that (DE, IFHE) for some rounds.

[ARGSY]
Members
1,297 posts
9,013 battles

I find that this ship is all about map awareness and using your smoke at the right time. For me, superintendent was a priority skill over CE. I'm running demolition expert as well, and am starting 9 to 12 fires a game.

I skipped EM and the main battery mod 2 in favour of SI and the smoke mod (thank you coal). In about 400 more games, I will spec CE on my captain, but I don't feel like I'm missing out.

The turret traverse is fine without EM or the main battery mod. Haida is too slow to knife fight with, anyway. IMHO, she's a mid range artillery platform with excellent fire chances and great torpedoes. The smoke is nothing but laughs (and tears for the reds). Every other DD player is scared shtlss of you and scurries away, so you don't really need the knife fighting skills to command caps.

CE will be nice to have, but I don't feel it's as essential as SI or DE.

[RCB4]
[RCB4]
Beta Testers
472 posts

i use preventive maintenance,last stand,jack of all trade,survival expert,super intendent,radio location,concealment expert

19pt captain

i dont use ifhe because someone explain to me that for haida guns  its not really worth it, same for demolition expert its not really worth it, and same for her torpedos its not really worth it to buff them

so basicly i just build it to be efficient at hunting other ship with all her tricks

seems to work fine for me

Edited by iamplaya

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,411 posts
3,583 battles
On 7/20/2018 at 4:47 AM, legozer said:

I find that this ship is all about map awareness and using your smoke at the right time. For me, superintendent was a priority skill over CE. I'm running demolition expert as well, and am starting 9 to 12 fires a game.

I skipped EM and the main battery mod 2 in favour of SI and the smoke mod (thank you coal). In about 400 more games, I will spec CE on my captain, but I don't feel like I'm missing out.

The turret traverse is fine without EM or the main battery mod. Haida is too slow to knife fight with, anyway. IMHO, she's a mid range artillery platform with excellent fire chances and great torpedoes. The smoke is nothing but laughs (and tears for the reds). Every other DD player is scared shtlss of you and scurries away, so you don't really need the knife fighting skills to command caps.

CE will be nice to have, but I don't feel it's as essential as SI or DE.

Haida is the best tier 7 Knife fighting DD bar none. 

She is not an excellent mid range fighter, nor is she a good fire starter. She has the worse fire chance among tier 7 DD's and the worse velocity. 

The ship lives and breaths in close range knife fights. 

On 7/22/2018 at 12:24 AM, iamplaya said:

i use preventive maintenance,last stand,jack of all trade,survival expert,super intendent,radio location,concealment expert

19pt captain

i dont use ifhe because someone explain to me that for haida guns  its not really worth it, same for demolition expert its not really worth it, and same for her torpedos its not really worth it to buff them

so basicly i just build it to be efficient at hunting other ship with all her tricks

seems to work fine for me

IFHE is very much worth it on Haida. 

It allows you to pen most tier 7 and 8 cruisers and most tier 6 and 7 BB's. 

Think of this situation.. You have a mogami bearing down on you in a cap. 

Without IFHE, your shells will just shatter all over. 

With IFHE you can pen his bow each time for 1.5-2k dmg. 

Your skill set is good, however IFHE is really a good as it allows you to pen 25mm of armor which is very good againts cruisers and Tier 7 and 6 BB's. Which you will see a lot of in that tier Range. 

• Cool 1