Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
awesomeartichokes

What key pieces of knowledge that the game does NOT share

59 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
248 posts
10,377 battles

This thread may become dated in spots as WoWs improves and the "How it works" videos are augmented.

My list from things I learned from various sources:

  • hitting an island near a ship with HE could still set the ship on fire 
  • HE blast radius was really a cube
  • the penetration was shell caliber / 6 ( divide by 4 for German)
  • the propulsion acceleration mod only effects acceleration from (0-6 knots - flamu's recent video in which he casually drops this piece of information)
  • the burned areas indicated areas that are oversaturated.
  • that the fire damage / flood damage is calculated as a % of original health ( what is that percentage? )
  • there is some sort of XP bonus for being uptiered/doing damage to higher tier ship (what is that bonus?)

Here are some things I think are still missing:

  • Dual purpose AA guns really just mean the main guns are also used as AA guns
  • Elevation ability of main guns
  • For larger ships, how close to the islands the ship will ground.
  • Some ships in CC videos are referred as "always burning" - do some ships have a higher base percentage of starting on fire than others?
  • How does the turning circle apply in game? If I am in game,  and I want to do a 180 - from a neutral rudder position - i would like the game to indicate that I am at risk of grounding.
  • How fast does it take the ship to get to full reverse, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, Full from the current speed ( I would like a time in seconds next to the selected speed. )
  • How to create replays - I can't do it in the Mac and it is not obvious in-game how to do - I say this is critical because it enables players to get better by seeing exactly what went right or wrong
  • How much damage does ramming do? I would like to know if I or my opponent will survive the ram

How about you ? What random important knowledge did you discover that is not explained in the game?

What things should be "explained" in game?

Edited by awesomeartichokes
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,350
[SWFSH]
[SWFSH]
Beta Testers
2,452 posts
5,595 battles

Sigma. IMO of all the things in this game, sigma needs to be listed under main battery stats. It's crucially important, especially for battleships. And the only way to figure out sigma is to either data mine or look it up on the internet.

  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,453
[O_O]
Members
4,397 posts
9,512 battles
  • If you hover your mouse (may have to CTRL and hover...can't be sure when not in game) over the health bar/outline of your ship on the bottom left of you screen, you will get a lot of stats for your ship, such as detection range, torpedo range, gun range, etc.  I don't have all my 100+ ship stats memorized, so this is valuable.
  • CTRL-P turns off AA and I think secondaries.  It used to be useful to stay concealed, but I think a change to AA detection has made this moot.  But, if it works for secondaries you can prevent yourself from hitting team mates when in close proximity to them and an enemy.

I'll add more as I think of them.

* It appears I am incorrect in some of the above.  See below.

Edited by desmo_2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
74
[-THOR]
Members
167 posts
2,206 battles
3 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:
  • If you hover your mouse (may have to CTRL and hover...can't be sure when not in game) over the health bar/outline of your ship on the bottom left of you screen, you will get a lot of stats for your ship, such as detection range, torpedo range, gun range, etc.  I don't have all my 100+ ship stats memorized, so this is valuable.
  • CTRL-P turns off AA and I think secondaries.  It used to be useful to stay concealed, but I think a change to AA detection has made this moot.  But, if it works for secondaries you can prevent yourself from hitting team mates when in close proximity to them and an enemy.

I'll add more as I think of them.

By default it's just "p" that disables secondaries and AA guns. 

Also, it's "h" that shows your stats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
248 posts
10,377 battles
15 minutes ago, Cruiser_StLouis said:

Sigma. IMO of all the things in this game, sigma needs to be listed under main battery stats. It's crucially important, especially for battleships. And the only way to figure out sigma is to either data mine or look it up on the internet.

and how is Sigma different than dispersion!

While in port, WoWs should do a 3D rendering of the guns hit zone when mousing over the main gun information. This avoids trying to reduce sigma and dispersion to numbers and then explain things. A visual avoids having to explain the concepts and why a 247m dispersion on one ship is not the same as a 247 dispersion on a different ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
567 posts
75 battles

The game has the ability to provide the following stat and it would be incredibly valuable information if they did, but they don't:

Average place on the scoreboard (only counting 12v12 random battles)

  • Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,377
[HINON]
Members
9,013 posts
27 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:
  • If you hover your mouse (may have to CTRL and hover...can't be sure when not in game) over the health bar/outline of your ship on the bottom left of you screen, you will get a lot of stats for your ship, such as detection range, torpedo range, gun range, etc.  I don't have all my 100+ ship stats memorized, so this is valuable.
  • CTRL-P turns off AA and I think secondaries.  It used to be useful to stay concealed, but I think a change to AA detection has made this moot.  But, if it works for secondaries you can prevent yourself from hitting team mates when in close proximity to them and an enemy.

I'll add more as I think of them.

 

Secondaries no longer effect allies so you do not need to turn them off any more. This was changed ages ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
60
[NBGC]
Members
331 posts
3,565 battles
1 hour ago, awesomeartichokes said:

How to create replays - I can't do it in the Mac

You can actually. I have a Mac.

In Finder at the top left of screen there's a 'Go' drop-down menu. Click it and then click 'Go to Folder...'. Next, type in ~/Library/Application Support/ and click 'Go'. Scroll till you find 'World of Warships' and double click it. Then, double click on these: Bottles/worldofwarships/drive_c/Games/World_of_Warships/. Next, make a duplicate of preferences.xml as a backup. Finally, open preferences.xml with an editing application of your choice (TextEdit is a good one), scroll to the bottom of the file, and paste in

<isReplayEnabled> true </isReplayEnabled>

before </scriptsPreferences>.

It should look like this:

<isReplayEnabled> true </isReplayEnabled>
   </scriptsPreferences>

Hope this helps. :)

Edited by Rpkscout1
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
248 posts
10,377 battles

Adding to my list:

Does a heal affect ship areas that are oversaturated?

Does a heal repair damaged but undestroyed modules?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
248 posts
10,377 battles
2 minutes ago, Rpkscout1 said:

You can actually. I have a Mac.

In Finder at the top right of screen there's a 'Go' drop-down menu. Click it and then click 'Go to Folder...'. Next, type in ~/Library/Application Support/ and click 'Go'. Scroll till you find 'World of Warships' and double click it. Then, double click on these: Bottles/worldofwarships/drive_c/Games/World_of_Warships/. Next, make a duplicate of preferences.xml. Finally, open preferences.xml with an editing application of your choice (TextEdit is a good one), scroll to the bottom of the file, and paste in


<isReplayEnabled> true </isReplayEnabled>

before </scriptsPreferences>.

It should look like this:


<isReplayEnabled> true </isReplayEnabled>
   </scriptsPreferences>

Hope this helps. :)

I can't give you enough thumbs up!

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
60
[NBGC]
Members
331 posts
3,565 battles
42 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

CTRL-P turns off AA and I think secondaries.  It used to be useful to stay concealed,

Secondaries firing when undetected (like in smoke) don't get you detected (I think?).

14 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

 

Secondaries no longer effect allies so you do not need to turn them off any more. This was changed ages ago.

^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
248 posts
10,377 battles
48 minutes ago, Rpkscout1 said:

Secondaries firing when undetected (like in smoke) don't get you detected (I think?).

^

Kind of demonstrates my point...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
248 posts
10,377 battles
  1. How to leave a clan
  2. How long is the cooldown before a player can join a new clan
  3. that a player can buy premium consumables with silver not just doubloons
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
706 posts
9,924 battles
1 hour ago, Cruiser_StLouis said:

Sigma. IMO of all the things in this game, sigma needs to be listed under main battery stats. It's crucially important, especially for battleships. And the only way to figure out sigma is to either data mine or look it up on the internet.

(Good Gracious that Avatar)

I'd also like to add Horizontal and Vertical Dispersion.  Perhaps Horsepower?  Very curious of the numbers for RN Cruisers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
1,480 posts
8,944 battles
1 hour ago, awesomeartichokes said:

and how is Sigma different than dispersion!

While in port, WoWs should do a 3D rendering of the guns hit zone when mousing over the main gun information. This avoids trying to reduce sigma and dispersion to numbers and then explain things. A visual avoids having to explain the concepts and why a 247m dispersion on one ship is not the same as a 247 dispersion on a different ship.

"In statistics, the standard deviation (SD, also represented by the Greek letter sigma σ or the Latin letter s) is a measure that is used to quantify the amount of variation or dispersion of a set of data values."

There are two different factors in play.  First, there is the dispersion circle (actually, it is an ellipse, but let's just assume a circle for simplicity's sake).  This is a measure of the area within which shells will land with respect to the aim point.  The center of the circle is the aim point and the outside edge of the dispersion circle is the maximum distance shell can land from the center.  For example, if you have a 200m wide dispersion circle, no shell will ever land more than 100m from the center.  With no sigma considerations, just pure RNG, over time randomness would ensure that the shells would be evenly spread out within that 200m circle.  So if you fired your gun 1000 times, 500 of them would land between 0 meters to 50m from the aim point and 500 would land between 50 to 100 meters from the aim point.

Sigma, on the other hand is a measure where a given shell is likely to land within that circle.  That is, while a given shell could still land anywhere within that 200m circle, up to 100m from the aim point, good sigma (from our perspective) would mean that the majority of shells would land nearer to the aim point than further from it.  The shots won't be evenly distributed but weighted towards the center.  Thus, for that same 1000 shots, you would see, instead, say, 200 shots landing out past 50 meters and 800 shots landing within 50 meters.  The better the sigma, the more shots that land nearer to the aim point.   That is, the more accurate the gun.

 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,201 posts
8,185 battles

I think the most important pieces of information the game fails to give out are the penetration and overmatch ratios.  These numbers are absolutely crucial in determining how good the armor is on a ship but they're not a part of the UI at all. 

 

Any experienced player can tell you that Yamato's 460 mm guns are much better than Conqueror's 457 mm guns, and it's not just because of Yamato's better dispersion and sigma.  It's because of the arbitrary and hidden overmatch ratio that WG made up combined with another arbitrary decision to give many ships exactly 32 mm of extremity armor.  All those 32 mm armored sections are just barely able to bounce 457 mm shells when angled, but offer no protection at all from 460 mm.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,891
[O7]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
10,724 posts
7,664 battles
2 hours ago, awesomeartichokes said:

This thread may become dated in spots as WoWs improves and the "How it works" videos are augmented.

My list from things I learned from various sources:

  • hitting an island near a ship with HE could still set the ship on fire 
  • HE blast radius was really a cube
  • the penetration was shell caliber / 6 ( divide by 4 for German)
  • the propulsion acceleration mod only effects acceleration from (0-6 knots - flamu's recent video in which he casually drops this piece of information)
  • the burned areas indicated areas that are oversaturated.
  • that the fire damage / flood damage is calculated as a % of original health ( what is that percentage? )
  • there is some sort of XP bonus for being uptiered/doing damage to higher tier ship (what is that bonus?)

Here are some things I think are still missing:

  • Dual purpose AA guns really just mean the main guns are also used as AA guns
  • Elevation ability of main guns
  • For larger ships, how close to the islands the ship will ground.
  • Some ships in CC videos are referred as "always burning" - do some ships have a higher base percentage of starting on fire than others?
  • How does the turning circle apply in game? If I am in game,  and I want to do a 180 - from a neutral rudder position - i would like the game to indicate that I am at risk of grounding.
  • How fast does it take the ship to get to full reverse, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, Full from the current speed ( I would like a time in seconds next to the selected speed. )
  • How to create replays - I can't do it in the Mac and it is not obvious in-game how to do - I say this is critical because it enables players to get better by seeing exactly what went right or wrong
  • How much damage does ramming do? I would like to know if I or my opponent will survive the ram

How about you ? What random important knowledge did you discover that is not explained in the game?

What things should be "explained" in game?

 

  • Dual Purpose Guns - Basically yeah although secondary guns can be dual purpose as well. In game it means that there are two copies of the gun, one which is rendered which shoots at secondary targets and an invisible one that shoots airplanes. 
  • Elevation Ability - Not really relevant to the game, ranges are artificially limited in game to the distance the waterline of a ship can be seen from the range finder, then adjusted "for balance" basically any gun in the game can elevate more than the range in game. 
  • Same as smaller ships, there is no "underwater" in this game, just the edge of the ship hitting the edge of the island. 
  • Fire Chance changes per tier so no. But it gets more complicated because some ships shatter HE shells more due to their armor and according to the devs "shattered shells dont start fires" *Healthy skepticism*
  •  @LittleWhiteMouse did a good writeup on turning in game, I dont remember the details maybe she can link the article. 
  • lwm can help with that as well, WG does not mention these things so people have to measure. 
  • Ramming depends on relative size, hp, and speed I believe. There is also a flag that can change the damages. 

 

1 hour ago, awesomeartichokes said:

Adding to my list:

Does a heal affect ship areas that are oversaturated?

Does a heal repair damaged but undestroyed modules?

HP is actually really complicated, WG made a video about it recently

 

Basically there are two HP pools and heal will allow people to deal more damage to saturated areas. The video might help a bit. 

Its a lot better now, it used to be that penetration and armor layouts were not shown. Even accuracy values and sigma was relatively unknown and krupp was thought to point to WG using a krupp penetration formula (had fun arguing with a reddit mod who thought the stock izumo guns had super pen because of that). There are still things people want to know that are not shown WG is improving the transparency of the game mechanics which is really good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,201 posts
8,185 battles

Ramming mechanics are really weird.  If two ships just hit each other coming from roughly opposite directions it simply deals damage equal to each ship's maximum hitpoints, but strange stuff happens if enemy ships collide at very low speed, especially if a faster ship catches up to a slower enemy and rams them from behind while they're both going in roughly the same direction.  Then both ships start taking damage rapidly but I think the lighter one takes damage faster?  It's a strange scenario that doesn't come up often but it's confusing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
302
[-WPG-]
Members
799 posts
3,310 battles

Average base credits earned per battle, per ship. If I'm going to play a handful of battles in a given day, woukd be nice to know which ones will more pad my account at the same time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
839
[SBS]
Members
2,448 posts
2,253 battles

XP, a bit more transparency would be nice. 

Just now, DouglasMacAwful said:

Average base credits earned per battle, per ship. If I'm going to play a handful of battles in a given day, woukd be nice to know which ones will more pad my account at the same time.

I was writing the above when you posted.

Edited by Slimeball91

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,467 posts
6,156 battles
2 hours ago, awesomeartichokes said:

the burned areas indicated areas that are oversaturated.

Depends on your idea of burned.  Even if the hull get hits once it gets a bit damaged and to me burnt is part of that.

 

2 hours ago, awesomeartichokes said:

 i would like the game to indicate that I am at risk of grounding.

It can already do this...  Settings --> Controls --> Terrain hit Iindicator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31
[PLPT]
Members
65 posts
4,557 battles

I wish it would let people know that full repair costs are paid no matter how much HP is lost in a game.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles

That IJN DDs, especially the torp-boat line, ARE MOSTLY GARBAGE, and that USN STANDARD BBs and MOST IJN Cruisers have been powercreeped, BIG-TIME.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,209
[WOLF3]
Members
6,390 posts
2,377 battles
5 hours ago, awesomeartichokes said:

How much damage does ramming do? I would like to know if I or my opponent will survive the ram

This is known.  A ram does the amount of damage to the other ship equal to the full HP of your ship (and vice versa).  Ramming flag modifies that.  Also, there seems to be a minimum speed to effect a ram.  I've brushed enemy ships to no effect.

 

As to what is unknown in-game, Torpedo Protection.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×