Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Prkl8r

Is the general feeling of the community that RN BB's were a failure?

Is the RN BB line a failure?  

178 members have voted

  1. 1. Is the RN BB line a failure?

    • Yes
      68
    • No
      110

101 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Beta Testers
509 posts
1,321 battles

Watching comments in threads when they are brought up, it seems like the feeling on the forums at least, is that the RN BB line was a failure, but people seem to have different reasons as to why.

Some think that they are terribly boring.

Some think that they are just bad ships.

Some think that they are "broken" and need nerfing.

Some think that they are an example of bad game design.

Some think that HE and fires are just bad game mechanics, and this line promotes that.

 

I just want to know how the community feels about the line.

  • Cool 5
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,212
[WOLF3]
Members
6,423 posts
2,396 battles

Downvote for lack of BACON.

 

But I would have voted No even with bacon.  RN BBs are what they are.  In the hands of some people they are good and in other hands not so much.  Just like every other bote in this game, except maybe Nikolai.

 

  • Cool 2
  • Bad 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
2,984 posts
4,388 battles

they are not "fun" to play and no one likes to fight against them,a gimmick line.

i think the RN BB line is an insult to the royal navy.

  • Cool 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
393
Members
2,384 posts
7,683 battles

IMO they were a failure, they are balanced, but were poorly designed.

 

I was looking foward for RN BBs, but they were a disapointment IMO, i dont even want to grind the line anymore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
143
[WLDD]
Beta Testers
352 posts
5,179 battles

I've never really had any issues playing against them.  They have strong HE and can start a lot of fires, but they die very quickly if focused.  Even the Lion and Conqueror, with their super heal, go down fast if the team keeps pressure on them.  They can score a high damage number, but that's only if the enemy team lets them do so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,874
[HINON]
Supertester
19,205 posts
12,732 battles

Failure in what aspect?

They're a competitive line without being either too underpowered or overpowered. It's a success there.

They offer a new playstyle. It's a success there.

Said play style is not a very fun one. It's a failure there.

Said play style has heralded the dilution of the established play style for battleships in general. You could count this as either a success or a failure, depending on your opinion of the meta before their introduction.

They counter bow-in tanking, to an extent. That was the biggest complaint about battleships before they were introduced. It's a success here.

They heralded the rise of complaints about HE spam. It's a failure there.

Their introduction stopped the whining about introducing them. It's a success there.

So, failure / success in what aspect?

If you mean 'on the whole', well, when we compare them to another battleship line that was recently introduced, say, the French, that's a battleship line that is balanced and fun to play without needing to resort to gimmicky game play. The speed boost consumable on tiers 8+ is a nice bonus, but it doesn't define the line. They're just solid, dependable ships for the most part. That's what I would consider a successful line. The Royal Navy battleship line ... falls short in terms of popularity and enjoyment - both to play and to play against.

  • Cool 17
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
2,984 posts
4,388 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

Failure in what aspect?

They're a competitive line without being either too underpowered or overpowered. It's a success there.

They offer a new playstyle. It's a success there.

Said play style is not a very fun one. It's a failure there.

Said play style has heralded the dilution of the established play style for battleships in general. You could count this as either a success or a failure, depending on your opinion of the meta before their introduction.

They counter bow-in tanking, to an extent. That was the biggest complaint about battleships before they were introduced. It's a success here.

They heralded the rise of complaints about HE spam. It's a failure there.

Their introduction stopped the whining about introducing them. It's a success there.

So, failure / success in what aspect?

If you mean 'on the whole', well, when we compare them to another battleship line that was recently introduced, say, the French, that's a battleship line that is balanced and fun to play without needing to resort to gimmicky game play. The speed boost consumable on tiers 8+ is a nice bonus, but it doesn't define the line. They're just solid, dependable ships for the most part. That's what I would consider a successful line. The Royal Navy battleship line ... falls short in terms of popularity and enjoyment - both to play and to play against.

good points but i think the most important aspect is  the fun factor and somehow they failed here,after all the main objective of playing video games is to have fun,if i'm not having fun playing RN BBs,why i should keep playing it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,149 posts
3,141 battles

Fun factor is bad for both parties, nobody likes getting constantly burned by a conqueror and nobody likes seeing said conqueror player press T and get half of his ship back. 

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,874
[HINON]
Supertester
19,205 posts
12,732 battles
1 minute ago, Cruxdei said:

good points but i think the most important aspect is  the fun factor

Playing OP ships is fun to many people. Are they a success, as far as the game goes?

There's a lot more to whether a ship is a success or not than how fun it is.

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
509 posts
1,321 battles
9 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Downvote for lack of BACON.

 

But I would have voted No even with bacon.  RN BBs are what they are.  In the hands of some people they are good and in other hands not so much.  Just like every other bote in this game, except maybe Nikolai.

 

I'm not really asking if they are good, I know they are good in the right hands.

 

I'm asking more if people like them or think they should stay in the game in their current state. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,212
[WOLF3]
Members
6,423 posts
2,396 battles
1 minute ago, Prkl8r said:

I'm asking more if people like them or think they should stay in the game in their current state. 

 

I might entertain a proposal for a redesign.  But if they stay the same I wouldn't mind.   It's not a priority line for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,206
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,615 posts
9,014 battles

It isn't a failure but it was a big mistake making HE their schtick.

  • Cool 4
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
2,984 posts
4,388 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

Playing OP ships is fun to many people. Are they a success, as far as the game goes?

There's a lot more to whether a ship is a success or not than how fun it is.

i would call them a minority but you are right,i mean,i like my giulio and she is considered "OP" by a lot of people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
509 posts
1,321 battles
6 minutes ago, Lert said:

Failure in what aspect?

They're a competitive line without being either too underpowered or overpowered. It's a success there.

They offer a new playstyle. It's a success there.

Said play style is not a very fun one. It's a failure there.

Said play style has heralded the dilution of the established play style for battleships in general. You could count this as either a success or a failure, depending on your opinion of the meta before their introduction.

They counter bow-in tanking, to an extent. That was the biggest complaint about battleships before they were introduced. It's a success here.

They heralded the rise of complaints about HE spam. It's a failure there.

Their introduction stopped the whining about introducing them. It's a success there.

So, failure / success in what aspect?

If you mean 'on the whole', well, when we compare them to another battleship line that was recently introduced, say, the French, that's a battleship line that is balanced and fun to play without needing to resort to gimmicky game play. The speed boost consumable on tiers 8+ is a nice bonus, but it doesn't define the line. They're just solid, dependable ships for the most part. That's what I would consider a successful line. The Royal Navy battleship line ... falls short in terms of popularity and enjoyment - both to play and to play against.

The end is really what I'm looking for.

 

As a whole. And really...if they aren't fun to play...the rest doesn't seem to matter much in a video game...right?

 

IDK I played the line aggressively when they came out up to the Conq and I liked it at the time but I also burned myself out and haven't played a ton since. 

Was looking to come back when I started reading about people really not liking them at all in the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,874
[HINON]
Supertester
19,205 posts
12,732 battles
Just now, Prkl8r said:

the rest doesn't seem to matter much in a video game...right?

Riiiiiiight. Balance doesn't matter much? If they were OP people would play them a lot even if they're not fun.

A lot more matters than 'fun'.

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20
[BARON]
Beta Testers
89 posts
4,777 battles

For me, it hasn’t been to enjoyable. I personally cannot stand the Monarch and  has been driving me insane trying to grind through it .  I do very well in the ship or absolutely horrible.  Though the few times I’ve had the opportunity to play it,  the conqueror  is really fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
509 posts
1,321 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

Riiiiiiight. Balance doesn't matter much? If they were OP people would play them a lot even if they're not fun.

A lot more matters than 'fun'.

Ok, I guess I should have clarified because in my head, obviously things have to be balanced. Assuming that we are talking about balanced ships though, if the game-play isn't fun, than I would consider it a failure. I would also consider it a failure if the only way to make a ship's play-style fun, is to make it OP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,874
[HINON]
Supertester
19,205 posts
12,732 battles
1 minute ago, Prkl8r said:

Ok, I guess I should have clarified because in my head, obviously things have to be balanced. Assuming that we are talking about balanced ships though, if the game-play isn't fun, than I would consider it a failure. I would also consider it a failure if the only way to make a ship's play-style fun, is to make it OP.

That's fair enough. By that definition then, yes, the RNBB line would be considered a failure.

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
623
[NMKJT]
Members
2,728 posts

I can go a while between seeing a tech tree BB in a match other than Conqueror.

While they may or may not be a failure, they are not a success

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,355
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,828 posts
10,605 battles

Was really looking forward to them but their gimmick of spamming HE like a freaking Cruiser ruined them for me. Only ones I kept were KGV and Conqueror. Worst and least fun BB line in the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
265
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,683 posts
8,128 battles

The problem with RN BBs in the fun departments is that they are unusually short ranged and bring nothing new. Nelson should have been the RN BB design, except with less heal and better range. If i want to spam HE i do it in a destroyer. Even in cruisers [exceptions] i prefer AP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,459
[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,798 posts
7,034 battles

I am not a big bb player, but of all the bb lines, I find them the least inspiring of all national bb tech trees, as they are currently implemented (except KGV which I have a soft spot for)/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,863 posts
8,840 battles

My guess is that with accurate modeling they would have been underpowered compared to their counterparts so they got mega HE and the super heal. Surprising considering their reputation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×