You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TL_Warlord_Roff

Competative Play "tournament ships"

13 comments in this topic

[HEROS]
Members
1,426 posts
11,978 battles

Many many years ago when I was much younger and attractive I went to table top game conventions,  and the the very BIGGEST one was Origins every year in Baltimore Maryland where I went several years to go play "Star Fleet Battles"  Now I never ever actually competed in the gold hat tourney to find out who the best SFB player was but I did help a very good friend get his gold hat.  But the one thing that Task Force Game/ADB did was have a specific set of ships just for tournament play, that were specifically balanced for one on one play.  

Might I suggest to wargaming a line of ships specifically for tournament play.   These ships wont be balanced to fit in a tier, though they should be assigned a tier for random battle play.. and what ever tier they fit in they should be flagged as one tier higher...ie: they should struggle a little against same tier ships.  Players will need to practice in them, and they should be real swiss army knife ships.  Very tune-able/customizable but to gain in any one area of performance they have to give it up elsewhere, but have all of that under the players control because these are not one on one fighters, but team play ships... and teams will need to be tuned!

I'm absolutely of the school of "it's not the ship, it's the player" 

Task Force Games and Amarillo Design Bureau  were of that opinion and that's why they set up some specific ships for tourney play.  It was a very very smart move on their part and those ships are still around today essential unchanged over the last 30 years.  

So a set of specific ships (pick models carefully) but tweaked to the nth degree to be as equal in performance as humanly possible regardless of the players build choices.  Assigned a tier but in random play will all ways get up tiered.  (hey its a tourney ship..and if your out practicing with it then more difficulty is a good thing!)

You could either go with a single DD, CL-CA, BC-BB, CV or a one of each in a national flavor with national lines.

Anyway, that's it.. A specific line or lines of ships specifically for comp/tourny play.  Comp play is starting to come onto it's own.  The player interest is there, and this is to take the focus off the ships and all the ship balance rules that tend to be needed, and put the focus on players and team work.

Warlord sends

Members
1,786 posts
5,663 battles

The point is this is a game of History, Not all out Fantasy. Though it is an arcade game with tweeks for balance, were not mounting Lazer cannons on decks.

• Cool 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles

My best ship and overcoming the struggle.

[SOB]
Members
254 posts
3,387 battles

On the face of it this sounds like a good idea however I am not sure that I like it. One of the things that I enjoy in CW is the variety. Having to alter my tactics as I'm confronted with different ships. 
I get what you are saying, take out the variable of the ship & may the best player win but IMO thats not what WoWs or even CW is about. Its about how well you can fight your ship & more importantly how well can you work as a team. 

[POP]
Members
1,234 posts
8,228 battles

Having played SFB, there's certainly not as much tuning in WoWS as there would be in SFB. Right now, it's pretty much stealth/survival or gunnery. You can safely ignore anti-air because that's so broken right now.

I would like to see 1-1 duels in the game. Just because I think it would be fun. Have to do something about the spotting issue though. 

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Whats the point? 

Would this be 1 v 1 only?

Or Restricted to one ship only 7v7?

If I wanted to play BB will I be playing against only BB's?

Same for DD's? Ect Ect?

There are not enough Players nor servers. {Start times would be prohibitive for many }

I say set up a Training room and have at it.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,093 posts
12,646 battles

The existing set of T10 ships is already in the same ballpark as far as raw power level, especially after the nerf on Hindenburg and the buffs to Shimakaze, Moskva, and Grozovoi, which by all indications were done because of competitive balance. Not sure exactly what you're asking for to be different?

[CUTER]
[CUTER]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,619 posts
8,871 battles

Somehow even if WG did do ships just for competitive people would complain that they cant get them like they did with Stalingrad. People have said maybe do like a E hull for ships thats the comp hull that you cant take into randoms for ships.

[CAST]
Members
1,196 posts
7,363 battles

What is wrong with the way it is now?  You take certain ships into clan wars based on their strengths to work in your strategy to attack and counter other team's lineups.  

[HEROS]
Members
1,426 posts
11,978 battles

I don't consider anything particularity wrong with the current system.   In SFB play these matches were one v one.  I'm not sure I have the language to detail the advantages from a comp play setting...but the point is the focus in on the player... NOT the ship... not some premium of special build or anything..  In comp play players should know everything the opposing player can do at a glance.  The intent is to keep the focus on player skill, not the ship.   One of the reason SL, Kings of the sea, etc etc competitions have learned to prefer a 9 player team with specific rules on the number and types with limitation on how many ships mount smoke,  radar, how many on one type, how many of one nation is to keep the play as balanced and fair as humanly possible with actually having a "fixed" ship list.  It mostly works... mostly.  The concept is to avoid "mostly" and have it work every time with no issues, because when your in the middle of a competition, (especially when it's being streamed and such) you can't really afford the delay it can cause.

Please be aware this only sounds simple..  Competitive balance is not a simple thing.  You can't balance the players. (um entire point of a competition.. who's the best?) but everything else needs to be balanced and fair.  Ship picking does not need to be a team strategy to the point it currently.  It gets in the way, and limiting the number of premiums ships in comp matches to keep team from forming with just premium ships is typically a well respected rule.  We don't have that in clan wars.. do you really want to face a bunch of unicums driving premiums with "normal" ships?    It can and will lead to a perception of unfair play because it will be unfair! The winners should be because that had the better skills, NOT the better skills and the deeper pockets... Pay To WIn Is BAD.  And there is going to be that happening as the tier x premiums arrive.  Also I must note that tier X is not balanced.  Many ships are clearly superior in most situations and that's just tech tree ships.  

For comp play it would eliminate a lot of issues before they are issues, if the ships are not the factor that decides the fight.  Tournament DD's, CA's, BB's CV's would eliminate that as any sort of factor in play.  I know wargame wants to sell ships and comp play is a lovely way to showcase and sell them.  But it doesn't make for fair comp play.  So, do you deal with not only having to impose rules and enforce them for competyitions, or do you cut down your overhead and make it a level playing field with the winners purely determined by player skill.  

Your call mate!

(recall the story with the punch line.  "US navy ship, we cannot change course, we're a light house")

{big nasty toothy grin}

Warlord sends

[INTEL]
Members
793 posts
8,245 battles
23 hours ago, Raven114 said:

The point is this is a game of History, Not all out Fantasy. Though it is an arcade game with tweeks for balance, were not mounting Lazer cannons on decks.

Agreed, this game is all about history.

Can you imagine if we had anime based camos? Cartoon girl capts with stick figure bodies wearing skirts that rarely hide their undies? Or, heaven forbid, a game mode where our beloved historical ships are sci-fied out and equiped with rail guns. It could even happen that ships are cluttered up with steampunkish fanatsy skins to fight other ships from some supposed evil parallel world. Yes, lets keep the game grounded in history.

Members
355 posts
8,917 battles
22 hours ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

One of the reason SL, Kings of the sea, etc etc competitions have learned to prefer a 9 player team with specific rules on the number and types with limitation on how many ships mount smoke,  radar, how many on one type, how many of one nation is to keep the play as balanced and fair as humanly possible with actually having a "fixed" ship list.  It mostly works... mostly.  The concept is to avoid "mostly" and have it work every time with no issues, because when your in the middle of a competition, (especially when it's being streamed and such) you can't really afford the delay it can cause.

The rules were released well in advance before SL, KOTS, started.  There was plenty of enough time to build the comp under the specified ruleset.