You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Avrova1904

Premium ships, are better than free ships?

23 comments in this topic

Members
267 posts
4,751 battles

There are lots of new premium ships. I have Warspite, Tachibana, Mikasa, Aurora, Diana, Mutsu, Ishizuchi, Texas, Tirpitz, I purchased all of them more than a year ago but I can't purchase more premium ships. Is ok to play World of Warships with free ships? Do you think players with Massachusets, Mushashi and other premium ships have any advantage over me?

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles

I am already not fond of you if you only play Premium Ships. No ship is bad, just the CO. That choice is up to you.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[VVV]
Members
359 posts
2,271 battles

Premium ships usually are just as good or marginally better (like 5% better) than their tech tree counterparts, except in some cases. Premium ships will give more XP and credits of course, but only 3 or 4 premiums are overpowered. It's like comparing Hindenburg and Minotaur. Is one better than the other? Hard to compare because of differing play styles. So in summary, they are balanced, there is no strict advantage. It all comes down to the captain at the helm.

[MIA-A]
Members
2,040 posts
9,873 battles

It depends. MASS only has an advantage in brawls, but is weaker at range than NC.  Musashi is actually a bit overpowered for tier, though.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,363 posts
4,288 battles
6 minutes ago, Avrova1904 said:

Is ok to play World of Warships with free ships? Do you think players with Massachusets, Mushashi and other premium ships have any advantage over me?

The answers to those questions are yes and no, respectively.

The only advantage or disadvantage lies in the player. However, Massachusetts may appeal to a particular type of highly skilled player who knows how to use its particular capabilities and Musashi requires a great deal of in-game play (translating to experience) to obtain, so both of these ships are potentially superior because of qualities inherent in the people who obtain them, not because of the ship in particular.

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
250 posts
2,177 battles

Tbh, I only got Mass to farm bots in co-op for credits.  They're almost guaranteed to get  within secondary range every time.  Otherwise, the NC would do just fine.

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,747 posts
3,490 battles

A ship is only as good as it's captain. There are plenty of fantastically fun tech tree ships in the game, and plenty of bad Premiums. 

[PVE]
Members
9,806 posts
7,492 battles
Just now, Ann_Darrow said:

Tbh, I only got Mass to farm bots in co-op for credits.  They're almost guaranteed to get  within secondary range every time.  Otherwise, the NC would do just fine.

This ^^^

Massachusetts and Gascogne are co-op ships for me as well. PvP tends to be played at range and bots will drive right at you in co-op.

[DAY]
Members
1,186 posts
11,759 battles

premium ship = economics bonus

premium ship =/= in battle bonus

of course you get broken ships like belfast

but you also get broken ships like pre-triple-nerf khabarovsk

so.......it's up to you

i personally play tech tree ships more than my premiums unless i really need the credits(in which case hello missouri)

Members
1,640 posts
7,482 battles
21 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

I am already not fond of you if you only play Premium Ships.

???????

To the Op - The answer is usually no sometimes yes, ships like Musashi and Missouri are generally owned by players with greater experience then otherwise.

[NBGC]
Members
331 posts
3,565 battles
20 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

No ship is bad, just the CO.

I disagree. I very much like the Colorado. Most people just don't play it correctly. I see the Colorado being the midpoint between brawlers like New Mexico and New York and long range BBs which are NC, Iowa, and Montana.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles
1 minute ago, Akeno017 said:

???????

To the Op - The answer is usually no sometimes yes, ships like Musashi and Missouri are generally owned by players with greater experience then otherwise.

I'm just unlikely to take players who only play Premium Ships seriously no matter how experienced they are. That is just how I am... though I guess you could blame it on a specific player from around back who was complaining in Port Chat about how Konig Albert was horrible and he wanted a refund...

2 minutes ago, Rpkscout1 said:

I disagree. I very much like the Colorado. Most people just don't play it correctly. I see the Colorado being the midpoint between brawlers like New Mexico and New York and long range BBs which are NC, Iowa, and Montana.

No ship is bad, just the CO... and Emerald... you could pen Emerald just by looking at her :fish_boom:

(CO = Commander = Captain) (If I say Colorado, it will  be her)

[NBGC]
Members
331 posts
3,565 battles
Just now, Vangm94 said:

No ship is bad, just the CO... and Emerald... you could pen Emerald just by looking at her :fish_boom:

(CO = Commander = Captain) (If I say Colorado, it will  be her)

I see. I'm just used to the abbreviations for ships such as NC = North Carolina and CO = Colorado. Never heard CO = Commander/Captain...

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles
Just now, Rpkscout1 said:

I see. I'm just used to the abbreviations for ships such as NC = North Carolina and CO = Colorado. Never heard CO = Commander/Captain...

Commander = Captain = Commanding Officer = Player = CO

No worries :cap_like::cap_like:

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,112 posts
12,671 battles
1 hour ago, Avrova1904 said:

There are lots of new premium ships. I have Warspite, Tachibana, Mikasa, Aurora, Diana, Mutsu, Ishizuchi, Texas, Tirpitz, I purchased all of them more than a year ago but I can't purchase more premium ships. Is ok to play World of Warships with free ships? Do you think players with Massachusets, Mushashi and other premium ships have any advantage over me?

Premium ships have an economic advantage (bonus to credits and XP as a special feature), but are pretty well balanced against tech tree ships in-game. Many of them have slightly unusual gameplay qualities, but nothing that makes them too powerful.

If your question was whether it is ethical to play the game without paying, I would say the answer is yes. By playing in matches, you are helping to populate the game for paying players. Without enough players, there would be no game. Plus they may some day release a ship that you are interested in buying again, so they would be happy if you stayed around.

1 hour ago, Vangm94 said:

I am already not fond of you if you only play Premium Ships.

The OP does not only play premium ships.

[SYN]
Members
14,459 posts
10,475 battles

IMO Richelieu is better than Gascogne...

KGV is better than Duke of York

Edited by MrDeaf

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles
2 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

I didn't look at his stats so I would not know. That is just me.

Members
267 posts
4,751 battles
2 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

Not usually, currently I only play Tirpitz and occasionally Mutsu. I guess most of my premiums sucks.

Members
267 posts
4,751 battles
1 minute ago, Vangm94 said:

I didn't look at his stats so I would not know. That is just me.

Don't do that, are terrible, LOL.

But don't blame me, I try to do my best but I am not a skilled player. I usually play strategy games and I am reasonably good with them.

Edited by Avrova1904

[O_O]
Members
4,427 posts
9,599 battles

Some premium ships are stronger than similar tech tree ships...some are about equal...and some are weaker.  However, no premium ship, no matter how strong, guarantees the player is going to do well.  The ship does not make the player.  The player makes the ship.  Some ships can make that task a bit easier, and some can make it more challenging.

• Cool 1

[WAG]
Members
393 posts
7,546 battles

One of the main reasons I play premium ships as much as I do is so I can use one of my 19pt captains. The 19pt captain provides a bonus in battle, due to extra skills, as well as yielding Elite Commander XP. For example, I sure one captain among Texas, Arizona, North Carolina, and Missouri. Without premium ships, the 19pt captain would effectively be locked in one tech tree ship.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles
4 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

Some premium ships are stronger than similar tech tree ships...some are about equal...and some are weaker.  However, no premium ship, no matter how strong, guarantees the player is going to do well.  The ship does not make the player.  The player makes the ship.  Some ships can make that task a bit easier, and some can make it more challenging.

No such thing as a bad ship, just a bad CO... except for Emerald. You could pen her just by looking at it.

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,603 posts
4,045 battles
1 hour ago, thegamefilmguruman said:

It depends. MASS only has an advantage in brawls, but is weaker at range than NC.  Musashi is actually a bit overpowered for tier, though.

Not much of an advantage.  Was able to cornhole one in my Gneisenau night before last.  Of course, driving in for the ram was a very poor choice on the opposing captain's part...  (And I did have to cut my rudder over to finish him with the torps on my other side...)

OP: Yes, the tech tree ships are viable.  Theoretically, the only advantage a Premium ship *should* give you is better XP and credit earnings after battle.  In reality, a few of them are slightly stronger than their fully-upgraded tech tree counterparts, and only a couple are truly overpowered.