You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Elo_J_Fudpucker

A Benson in a T10 Battle

12 comments in this topic

[WJDC]
Members
1,243 posts
7,583 battles

With Radar pegging the Benson at 11k, and it only having 6k(I did mean 8k, but I was still wrong , see below)  torps, staying outside the 11k range is paramount in order to stay alive. Generally there are now 3 to 5 radar ships per game, meaning that there is almost always a very good chance of being picked up and blasted out of the water. So the Benson is relegated to spotting. yes the guns can do some good, but from 11-15 k it is lobbing shells and often hard to stay on target.  One tactic is to just go straight in and try to duke it out with an enemy DD to at least get the numbers down... 

Anywho... the Benson used to be one of the best, now it is ..very close to a meh bote when bottomed tiered... 

Edited by Elo_J_Fudpucker
  • Boring 1

Members
355 posts
8,946 battles

Benson doesn't have 6km torps. The torps are 9.2km.  Even so, just keep track of where the radar ships are or could be at all times and keep track of when the radar was used and it should be okay. 

• Cool 1

[SOFOP]
Members
241 posts
3,562 battles

While I can understand your frustration with radar, it is obviously something here to stay.  So the game has changed.  It is no longer a race tot he cap to see who can smoke first.  Now, its a race to the edge of the cap, trying to bait out a radar or 2 (not everyone is coordinated...so if you see 1 radar detection, you may have gotten a couple).  Then you can go back in a little while and try to cap.

Radar impacts all DDs, so a specific DD does not get better or worse based on radar.  I believe the stock Benson has 6km torps maybe...but upgraded it definitely has 9.2.

[AWP]
Members
784 posts
3,017 battles

I’m loving the Benson even if all my games so far have been tier 10 with at least 3 radars. It just takes much more map awareness to play a DD now. Yes I would love for changes to happen to radar but honestly DD’s are still very capable of carrying.

[AWP]
Members
784 posts
3,017 battles
1 hour ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

It is no longer a race tot he cap to see who can smoke first.  Now, its a race to the edge of the cap, trying to bait out a radar or 2 (not everyone is coordinated...so if you see 1 radar detection, you may have gotten a couple).  Then you can go back in a little while and try to cap.

I died laughing yesterday at something like this. In my Benson I rushed B cap to bait radar (Stupid move now that I think of it) but a Moskva, Cleveland, Des, and Baltimore were there. I was radared for about 50s total and then able to cap. Someone on their team blew up in chat about “[edited] people shouldn’t be given radar” because apparently all 4 used their radar at the same time. Randoms can be funny.

[SOFOP]
Members
241 posts
3,562 battles
58 minutes ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

I died laughing yesterday at something like this. In my Benson I rushed B cap to bait radar (Stupid move now that I think of it) but a Moskva, Cleveland, Des, and Baltimore were there. I was radared for about 50s total and then able to cap. Someone on their team blew up in chat about “[edited] people shouldn’t be given radar” because apparently all 4 used their radar at the same time. Randoms can be funny.

That is awesome.  Now, that said, and not that i want to make things even WORSE....but as a team,, you should be able to see when people have radar active.  I know its a team game and what not and communication is key, but it would make sense.  Course as I said, this would make DD life even more hellish.

[AWP]
Members
784 posts
3,017 battles
Just now, Old_Baldy_One said:

That is awesome.  Now, that said, and not that i want to make things even WORSE....but as a team,, you should be able to see when people have radar active.  I know its a team game and what not and communication is key, but it would make sense.  Course as I said, this would make DD life even more hellish.

I think there should be an option to announce it in chat at the very least. The best would be an automatic notification to the team and a symbol near your name when you hit the key. 

WoWS Community Contributors
153 posts
7,587 battles
53 minutes ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

it only having 6k torps

Benson has 9.2km torps. Yes they are slow, yes they don't do too much damage, but they are relatively stealthy, and you can stealth-torp!

The ship itself has great concealment at 5.8km which is very competitive. As for countering the radar spam, hard cover is a very powerful once you get used to using it. You don't need to stay at 11km+, imo thats not really a productive use of your time, as islands will allow you to stay far more relevant to the battle, and also offer you interesting angles, shooting opportunities. Another thing to keep in mind are the obvious island camping spots for the enemy radar cruisers, and the spots where you are safe/can take cover when it radars. Capping by reversing into caps also helps you mitigate the damage you take as you are already ready to run when the inevitable radar pops up.

Like all destroyers, its effectiveness scales with how long you live, and favorable early game HP trades on enemy DDs will serve you well in the late game when people space out, and there are fewer ships to worry about.

Edited by TheBirb
  • Cool 1

[NBGC]
Members
331 posts
3,565 battles

Just wait till you get to Fletcher. Then all you'll ever hear is then crying of the enemy team... I did like Benson, but Fletcher torpedoes are SO much better!

[WJDC]
Members
1,243 posts
7,583 battles

A: I would have sworn they were 8k torps... did something change?

B: I have the Fletcher and the Gearing.. : D

[SBS]
Members
2,475 posts
2,253 battles
11 hours ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

I believe WG said they will adding a function to the game that allows you to see all consumables being used (an icon above the ship).  I think both teams will be able see that icon. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,139 posts
14,547 battles
8 hours ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

A: I would have sworn they were 8k torps... did something change?

B: I have the Fletcher and the Gearing.. : D

At least from 2016 on, Benson has had 9.2km torpedo access.

Maybe it was different from August-December 2015 before some USN DD torpedoes were altered, but I did not have Benson in those days.  But when I did in 2016, she has had 9.2km and it's been that way since.  I know in Tier VII for example, Mahan's torps in 2015 were like Sims, then her torps got changed.  She either had "long range slowpedoes" or "fast but fizzles out just as quickly" torps.  Several other USN DD torps were altered.  A lot of USN DD torps were jokes early on when WoWS went live.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway