Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

58 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

984
[BRN_2]
[BRN_2]
Members
4,222 posts
10,501 battles

I'm puzzled, so maybe someone can help me out.

Why give a Tier IX USN CL such woefully inferior main guns as compared to almost every other ship of the same tier?  The only other ship with worse artillery is the Neptune, but it is offset with a decent range, which the Seattle doesn't have.

Yeah, DPM...I get it; but it's not much better than the Cleveland.

What am I missing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
181
[CAST]
Members
1,201 posts
7,372 battles

You're not missing anything.  It is a ship I will be glad to be out of.  The small guns have a hard time dealing damage to some high tier ships.  Its like tickling someone.  You are more of an annoyance than a threat.  

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,927
[-K-]
Supertester
3,096 posts
6,832 battles
7 minutes ago, mohawkdriver said:

I'm puzzled, so maybe someone can help me out.

Why give a Tier IX USN CL such woefully inferior main guns as compared to almost every other ship of the same tier?  The only other ship with worse artillery is the Neptune, but it is offset with a decent range, which the Seattle doesn't have.

Yeah, DPM...I get it; but it's not much better than the Cleveland.

What am I missing?

If you don't like the range on the Seattle, you're not going to like the range on the Worcester.  Perhaps you've realized that the USN CL line isn't for you.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
984
[BRN_2]
[BRN_2]
Members
4,222 posts
10,501 battles
20 minutes ago, Pope_Shizzle said:

If you don't like the range on the Seattle, you're not going to like the range on the Worcester.  Perhaps you've realized that the USN CL line isn't for you.

Well, I really like the Des Moines and the Buffalo; they make sense in many ways.  Their range could use a bit of a buff, but all in all, they're both great ships.  What troubles me is when I see the range and effectiveness of the artillery being no better (and acutally inferior) than the Cleveland, it makes me wonder just what the devs were trying to do.  I'm a fan of the USN line, but the Seattle really takes the wind out of me sails, matey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
984
[BRN_2]
[BRN_2]
Members
4,222 posts
10,501 battles
30 minutes ago, Murcc said:

You're not missing anything.  It is a ship I will be glad to be out of.  The small guns have a hard time dealing damage to some high tier ships.  Its like tickling someone.  You are more of an annoyance than a threat.  

Yeah, that's kinda how I see it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
984
[BRN_2]
[BRN_2]
Members
4,222 posts
10,501 battles
28 minutes ago, Canadatron said:

Are you guys running IFHE? 

I don't have it on the Seattle, but I'll certainly try to work towards it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,436
[-K-]
Members
5,261 posts
9,104 battles
34 minutes ago, Pope_Shizzle said:

If you don't like the range on the Seattle, you're not going to like the range on the Worcester.  Perhaps you've realized that the USN CL line isn't for you.

But at least Worcester has excellent DPM and better firing angles than Seattle to make up for it.  I played a couple matches in Seattle and just decided to FXP up to Worcester.  

Seattle definitely feels like the low point in the light cruiser branch split.  But like Izumo for IJN BBs, its a price worth paying to get to the crown jewel at the top.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,787 posts
5,663 battles

Your missing the reality of the progression of Warships in WW2. Front line warships that came out in late 1944 early 1945, and those in the 1950's were all geared to AA and not heavy gun ships. After the CV rework they could possibly be the main ships in tier 10. This game is a always moving system that keeps you evolving in the type of action needed.

Edited by Raven114
  • Cool 2
  • Bad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
64
[USCG]
Members
204 posts
12,961 battles

The Cherry Blossom operation really cemented my dislike of the US cruiser line. I used the op to finish my grind on the Cleveland. I also used the op to build up elite captain XP with my Mik Kutuz. WHAT A DIFFERENCE between the two tier 8 cruisers! I’d be lucky if I got 2-3 cits with my Cleveland when I easily would get 8-12 with my MK. I also noticed that every other tier 8 cruiser allowed to do the op seemed to outshine the Cleveland and New Orleans most of the time. I now have the Seattle and am frustrated with her play as well. Guess I’m just not built for the US play style of hide behind islands and hope someone will come within range so I can lob my shells on them while staying safe behind my rock. What I need is an op I can play my Seattle in so I can grind her out in relative safety.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
66
[RCB4]
[RCB4]
Beta Testers
468 posts

i just free xp to worcester has well

that ship had bad review everywhere i looked the seattle

why bother

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Modder
1,492 posts
2,443 battles
22 minutes ago, mohawkdriver said:

I don't have it on the Seattle, but I'll certainly try to work towards it.

IFHE on USN CLs is pretty much mandatory to get your DPM up.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,734
[INTEL]
Members
8,579 posts
25,677 battles
16 hours ago, cgbosn4 said:

The Cherry Blossom operation really cemented my dislike of the US cruiser line. I used the op to finish my grind on the Cleveland. I also used the op to build up elite captain XP with my Mik Kutuz. WHAT A DIFFERENCE between the two tier 8 cruisers! I’d be lucky if I got 2-3 cits with my Cleveland when I easily would get 8-12 with my MK. I also noticed that every other tier 8 cruiser allowed to do the op seemed to outshine the Cleveland and New Orleans most of the time. I now have the Seattle and am frustrated with her play as well. Guess I’m just not built for the US play style of hide behind islands and hope someone will come within range so I can lob my shells on them while staying safe behind my rock. What I need is an op I can play my Seattle in so I can grind her out in relative safety.

That's why I sold Cleveland. It's nigh-on useless in Cherry Blossom compared to Chappy, Kutu, or any of the heavies. I kept Baltimore, which I spec'd for AA for that operation. I found in Balti or Kutu it was routine to put down 120k in Cherry B, in Cleveland 70K was a struggle.

I can't imagine playing a Cleveland in a Random match, although I see many. That gimped range and absurd shell arcs, with armor just good enough to make sure every shell is a pen/cit, and no torps. God no. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
720
[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,175 battles
1 hour ago, mohawkdriver said:

I'm puzzled, so maybe someone can help me out.

Why give a Tier IX USN CL such woefully inferior main guns as compared to almost every other ship of the same tier?  The only other ship with worse artillery is the Neptune, but it is offset with a decent range, which the Seattle doesn't have.

Yeah, DPM...I get it; but it's not much better than the Cleveland.

What am I missing?

Try the range extension mod.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
66
[RCB4]
[RCB4]
Beta Testers
468 posts
13 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

Try the range extension mod.

increasing the range on those crazy shell arc is not recommended by the good players

myself i find it hard enuff to hit targets at max stock range anyhow

i guess its worth a shot ill will try it maybe ill like it and play the cleveland and other port queens in the usn ca n cl line

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,197
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,807 posts
10,315 battles
1 hour ago, Pope_Shizzle said:

If you don't like the range on the Seattle, you're not going to like the range on the Worcester.  Perhaps you've realized that the USN CL line isn't for you.

14.7 vs. 16.7's a decent upgrade on range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
160
[AWP]
Members
782 posts
3,007 battles
1 hour ago, mohawkdriver said:

I don't have it on the Seattle, but I'll certainly try to work towards it.

Not saying it’s not a bad ship (I haven’t really played the Cleveland so I haven’t unlocked the Seattle) but IFHE crosses thresholds. Standard HE from USN 152’s pen 25mm. You only cross the 16mm and 19mm threshold. With IFHE, 152’s shatter on 33mm. This crosses the 25mm, 27mm, 30mm, and 32mm thresholds. This opens up a lot of targets to deal direct damage to.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
141
[CAPGO]
Members
524 posts
3,314 battles

It's a turd ship without IFHE.

I don't know if it's healthy for the game when a ship is balanced around a skill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
787
[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
2,368 posts
2 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Wait... Neptune has the worst guns of it's class? :cap_wander:

I find it hard to picture that magic B.S. "AP" round the RN CLs get as ever allowing the guns to be worse than average. 

 

Edited by KilljoyCutter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
181
[CAST]
Members
1,201 posts
7,372 battles

I run IFHE on the Seattle.  Without it, it would be even worst than it is.  If you catch an unsuspecting cruiser at a close range and can use the gun arc to lob shots at him from cover, you can do a lot of damage without getting return fire.  So, you can have great games if you find the right island to camp behind and lob shots over.  Its just not a ship you can carry a game in.  I've gotten myself into some nice cover situations where I was lobbing shots onto T10 BBs. It think it would have taken half the game in the Seattle, to eat away at one of those BBs without help.  The one shining light for this cruiser, is for shooting up other camping cruisers.  The high shot arc can land shots over terrain that other cruisers cannot hit.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
154 posts
6,525 battles

You have to run IFHE on all the USN CLs in order to get the best results out of them (this is really true for any ship armed with 155mm or smaller guns).  I have no problem dealing damage with them no matter what kind of match making I get.  Like a lot of people I'm not a big fan of Seattle, primarily because of her poor gun arcs. I am running the range module on her and have no problem hitting battleships out to my max range.

You want a minimum 14 point captain with PT, DE, IFHE, and CE. Without at least those skills then USN CLs are tough to play.  I think Helena and Cleveland are the best of the bunch but I don't have Worcester yet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
720
[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,175 battles
2 hours ago, iamplaya said:

increasing the range on those crazy shell arc is not recommended by the good players

myself i find it hard enuff to hit targets at max stock range anyhow

i guess its worth a shot ill will try it maybe ill like it and play the cleveland and other port queens in the usn ca n cl line

 

TRY THE RANGE MOD, did I stutter?

 

 

Seattle   Seattle 9 U.S.A. 55 61.82% 1 514 73 799 1.29 1.07 Details
4    Baltimore (<31.05.2018) 9 U.S.A. 48 64.58% 2 263 57 566 1.21 0.6

Details

 

 

What you are playing here is to deny enemy island humpers their sanctuary, and discourage their BBs from advancing. Range mod helps greatly. You can't do damage if you are dead. Yes, the shell is floaty. But not floaty enough to miss BB nor stationary island humpers.


Not to mention in this cruiser heavy meta havint 15% range means you can kite all you want without ANY risk from other similar cruisers. You basically only have to look out for Zao and Hindenburg (both you can abuse by humping islands and using your great camo). 

Abuse your camo, follow your DDs near cap, let loose a few salvos on their DDs, pop your radar, then go back to stealth and hold fire till you have retreated far enough. 

On maps where other cruisers humps islands near objective, fire at them from range so your rainbow vomit fall right onto them behind the island. Forcing them to move. The longer range is also great at picking off dying BBs, while staying at safe (er) distance.

Play the objective, play to win (this is cleveland game, but you get the idea), play the meta,not to farm damage.

Edited by NeutralState
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,324
[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
2 hours ago, mofton said:

14.7 vs. 16.7's a decent upgrade on range.

I'm used to Atlanta and 13km, now put that in a T9 battle and play "catch up" all match long.

Fun stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
66
[RCB4]
[RCB4]
Beta Testers
468 posts
1 hour ago, NeutralState said:

TRY THE RANGE MOD, did I stutter?

 

 

Seattle   Seattle 9 U.S.A. 55 61.82% 1 514 73 799 1.29 1.07 Details
4    Baltimore (<31.05.2018) 9 U.S.A. 48 64.58% 2 263 57 566 1.21 0.6

Details

 

 

What you are playing here is to deny enemy island humpers their sanctuary, and discourage their BBs from advancing. Range mod helps greatly. You can't do damage if you are dead. Yes, the shell is floaty. But not floaty enough to miss BB nor stationary island humpers.


Not to mention in this cruiser heavy meta havint 15% range means you can kite all you want without ANY risk from other similar cruisers. You basically only have to look out for Zao and Hindenburg (both you can abuse by humping islands and using your great camo). 

Abuse your camo, follow your DDs near cap, let loose a few salvos on their DDs, pop your radar, then go back to stealth and hold fire till you have retreated far enough. 

On maps where other cruisers humps islands near objective, fire at them from range so your rainbow vomit fall right onto them behind the island. Forcing them to move. The longer range is also great at picking off dying BBs, while staying at safe (er) distance.

Play the objective, play to win (this is cleveland game, but you get the idea), play the meta,not to farm damage.

yea ill try it i didnt at first cause all the review and feedback i watch recomended against it

but you convince me to give it a shot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×