You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Five Points to Glory (or, how I learned to stop worrying and love Premium ships).

49 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
6,364 posts
4,293 battles

Way back at the beginning of the year, I was thinking about the effort it would take to get a 19 point captain and quietly boggling at the enormity of it. Sure, I loved my Fiji, but could I really stand to play it that much?

Then I moved my best captain up into the Edinburgh in order to have the best possible setup for Ranked Battles, and while that was fun in a way it left me with my high-point captain in a ship whose matchmaking is sometimes less than conducive to me doing at all well (my fault; I'm just not that good in her). He's now at 14 points, about halfway to 15.

However, since then I've picked up a bunch of premium ships, and three of them happen to be British - Warspite, bought for the historical interest with some goodies and a flag as a Jutland special; Gallant, bought when it was clear I would eventually need a Royal Navy destroyer trainer; and Nelson, obtained now rather than later due to the very fortuitous acquisition of a LOT of Free XP.

And just a couple of days ago, the penny dropped.

My captain's skills are PT, LS, SI, CE, SE and they suit all of these ships to some extent, even if they are not necessarily optimal; the Warspite would really prefer a captain with Expert Marksman, for example, and the Gallant could do with Torpedo Armament Expertise and probably BFT as well. But what I have now is a situation in which I can play this captain exclusively and still get gameplay that won't fatigue me due to constant T8 vs T10 or drive me out of my mind due to lack of variety. 

And that's a very powerful weapon, and a major incentive towards the grind to 19 points. Forget that nonsense about pay-to-win; this is the advantage Premium ships really offer over free ones.

• Cool 7
  • Boring 1

Members
395 posts
6,327 battles

Captain XP and credit earning are the benefits I get out of premiums, and yes sometimes the captain skills are not ideal when swapping but it’s tolerable!  And once you get a 19 point captain the next one comes faster and it becomes exponential.

Credits are a real issue as you get up to the higher tiers and if you play multiple lines, so any time you spend in your premiums is earning bank for your later indulgences 

[POP]
Members
1,169 posts
15,119 battles
52 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Way back at the beginning of the year, I was thinking about the effort it would take to get a 19 point captain and quietly boggling at the enormity of it. Sure, I loved my Fiji, but could I really stand to play it that much?

Then I moved my best captain up into the Edinburgh in order to have the best possible setup for Ranked Battles, and while that was fun in a way it left me with my high-point captain in a ship whose matchmaking is sometimes less than conducive to me doing at all well (my fault; I'm just not that good in her). He's now at 14 points, about halfway to 15.

However, since then I've picked up a bunch of premium ships, and three of them happen to be British - Warspite, bought for the historical interest with some goodies and a flag as a Jutland special; Gallant, bought when it was clear I would eventually need a Royal Navy destroyer trainer; and Nelson, obtained now rather than later due to the very fortuitous acquisition of a LOT of Free XP.

And just a couple of days ago, the penny dropped.

My captain's skills are PT, LS, SI, CE, SE and they suit all of these ships to some extent, even if they are not necessarily optimal; the Warspite would really prefer a captain with Expert Marksman, for example, and the Gallant could do with Torpedo Armament Expertise and probably BFT as well. But what I have now is a situation in which I can play this captain exclusively and still get gameplay that won't fatigue me due to constant T8 vs T10 or drive me out of my mind due to lack of variety. 

And that's a very powerful weapon, and a major incentive towards the grind to 19 points. Forget that nonsense about pay-to-win; this is the advantage Premium ships really offer over free ones.

Hi

Nice job I have those same ships myself it wont take long for you to get your captain up to 19 once there you start to get the bonuses from him  to begin to train more 19 point captains.

I'm working one for each branch and nation it will take awhile but I will get there.

regards

Members
112 posts
5,929 battles

As mentioned, you will find that once you get your first 19 point captain the next ones come faster and faster as you will then start banking more and more commander xp. By the time you get four or five the bonuses make everything move at rapid speed.

Members
1,084 posts
6,023 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

or, how I learned to stop worrying and love Premium ships

I've got to think you're a fan of the old Peter Sellars movie, "Doctor Strangelove"?

• Cool 3

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
500 posts
3,672 battles

This time last year i had zero 19 pt captains.  I now have nine thanks to snowball effect and multiple premiums in each line to work my captains and build elite XP

[ARGSY]
Members
6,364 posts
4,293 battles
1 hour ago, missile742 said:

This time last year i had zero 19 pt captains.  

This time last year I hadn't even started playing WOWS!! I only started at the end of last August.

It sort of staggers me that even with all my progress to date, I'm barely a third of the way there; those last five points are a pain, as any one of them requires as much work as a ten or eleven point captain. But I have more skills and better tools now than I've had for most of that time, and a clearer idea of how to accomplish the goal.

[WOLFB]
Members
451 posts
3,836 battles

Yeah, I'm in the same boat (pun intended): I started playing just last December and I now have a few 10 Point Commanders. I really want to get that first 19 Pointer that everyone says will start the snowball rolling.

And if you do the math, you see that from 10 Points, you 'only' need 1,525,000 more XP to get to 19 Points. Looks like a lot. But with all the signals, flags and camos, it is actually possible to earn 8,000-10,000 XP per game. (Or so I've been told -- I'm hoarding all my flags and camos for just this project.)

That is about 170 games. Which really isn't a big deal. That is doable.

So pretty soon I'm going to choose one Commander and play just him, with all my camos and signals, until I get him to 19 Points. As soon as I can tamp down my kid-in-a-candy-store excitement about all the different fun ships in this game and focus on just one Commander in one line of ships (with the right Premiums).

[and of course I'm posting this for anyone with more experience than me (pun intended again) to give feedback. And more importantly, to reassure others that maybe it's not as impossible as it looks.]

[INTEL]
Members
803 posts
8,339 battles

I give ya a thumbs up just for the Dr Strangelove reference.

Got my first 19pter around November of last year. Now I'm up to 15 of them. Running ops and premium ships while div'd up with a friend generated huge amounts of Elite Co XP

Edited by Ares1967

[ARGSY]
Members
6,364 posts
4,293 battles
1 minute ago, Jester_of_War said:

just one Commander in one line of ships (with the right Premiums).

This is the key, I think. Play each ship in the line to the first win, then go play something else to prevent burnout.

Having more flags would help, but I am against paying real money for these. I would rather put my cash into things that don't go away after the first use, i.e. ships and possibly commanders. The only "expendable" I would invest in is premium time, in very long stretches for the best per-day efficiency.

[WOLFB]
Members
451 posts
3,836 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I would rather put my cash into things that don't go away after the first use, i.e. ships

Yes, that's kind of where I'm at. First ships, then premium time. Then camo/signals (depending on what is most effecient mathematically).

So now I am figuring out what is the optimal selection of USN Premiums.

I have the Sims. I like DDs and CLs.

Should I get Atlanta or Kidd ?

[ARGSY]
Members
6,364 posts
4,293 battles
8 minutes ago, Jester_of_War said:

Yes, that's kind of where I'm at. First ships, then premium time. Then camo/signals (depending on what is most effecient mathematically).

So now I am figuring out what is the optimal selection of USN Premiums.

I have the Sims. I like DDs and CLs.

Should I get Atlanta or Kidd ?

Indianapolis Marathon crates offer chances to win both. Do not pay money until these options are exhausted. I would opt for a cruiser to supplement the destroyer unless you are a hardcore DD main.

What are your current US tech tree ships? That needs to inform your choice IMO.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,256 posts

Yep, I decided, in my infinite wisdom, to take the 19 point captain I had in Colorado (yes, I played it THAT much, lol), respec it, and put it in Benson, a brand new tier 8.

My thinking was that I could grind out oodles of elite XP while grinding my way to Fletcher, and have more 19 pointers in no time.   Well, we all know that old saw about the road to hell being paved in good intentions...   Here's the fly in that ointment:  I don't play Benson that much.  Even though I LOVE the ship.  Because of cruddy T8 mm, the US cruiser split FILLING the queue with cruisers, and the fact that high tier bots (PVE player here) are a royal PITA to DD players.

And then there's the fact that unlike the US BB line- where I own ALL the premiums (except for the new Mass), and enjoy playing them all- I have few premium US DD's, and only like ONE of them: Sims.  Same for the cruiser line, which this captain would also work for.   Thus the looked for monsoon of E-XP never happened.

So now I'm stuck with it.  Or pay another 500 doubloons to respec it again.   Honestly, I'll eventually get around to grinding Benson in earnest- I do love the ship after all.  And cruiser-pocalyse won't last forever.

Lesson learned.  If you're gonna try for an elite XP machine, put it in a line you're actually grinding hard- or have premiums for that you like to play a lot.   The US CA line would have been a much better choice for me.   Or just leave it on a BB...

[WOLFB]
Members
451 posts
3,836 battles

Yeah, I'm trying to get as many Crates as possible. So far no premium ships.

I've got CAs up to Tier 8 and CLs up to Tier 6. But I'll probably go all the way on CLs.

And probably the CAs after that.

And of course all the way to Tier 10 in USN DDs too.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,480 posts
2,422 battles

I have Texas.  I'm 0-4 in her.  What's the best trainer for the USN lines?

[ARGSY]
Members
6,364 posts
4,293 battles
5 hours ago, iDuckman said:

I have Texas.  I'm 0-4 in her.  What's the best trainer for the USN lines?

The real question is, "What is the best trainer for my highest-point captain?" 

The answer to this question depends on the ship your captain is in now, available and affordable premiums that match his (or her, e.g. HSF) skills, a careful parse of Little White Mouse's review on this ship and whether the weaknesses she describes matter to you, and other premiums you already own.

For example, my Warspite is not optimally matched to my best captain - the ship wants Expert Marksman and he doesn't have it (though there have been times I've seriously considered it for my next skill; British cruisers don't have the fastest-turning turrets). But Superintendent, Priority Target, Concealment Expert and Survivability Expert all work very well, and the slow turret traverse can be worked around. So I do relatively well with that combination. And the same goes for the Nelson, with her Zombie heal (though he is currently retraining my Iron Duke captain for the Queen Elizabeth, a distraction from my main goal but a necessary one).

If I were training a US captain instead, with the ships I have to hand right now, I would be putting him in the New Orleans and boosting him in the Indianapolis. Atlanta would be a poor trainer for him because Atlanta NEEDS the BFT and AFT skills to shine, and he doesn't have them, but one can bite the bullet for a game or two. But all my best American captains are 10 pointers with nothing to choose between them;  BFT and AFT would work well for a destroyer, so I could put my Atlanta captain in the Mahan as her (she's Azur Lane) tech tree ship, and she would also benefit Texas in her role as an AA barge (though I would then have to live with turret traverse issues). And when I got to 14 points, IFHE would help them all to some extent (yes, I have brawled in the Texas, though not optimally).

You may be 0-4 in the Texas, but four battles aren't enough to speak to a ship. And remember that any extra captain XP is good XP, even if you lose the battle. The words "Git Gud Scrub" are grossly overused for sure, but getting the practice to do well in her is a great opportunity to put extra XP on your best captain. You just need to do as I do and not sweat what it does to your win rate. Haven't you always wanted to fight a desperate battle against incredible odds? :Smile_teethhappy:

[4HIM]
Members
1,813 posts
4,158 battles
6 hours ago, iDuckman said:

I have Texas.  I'm 0-4 in her. 

Go back and play more in your Myogi (sorry, too easy there)

But getting the Indy might be a good trainer.  Of all my US Premiums, Texas is my most played.  But get my best performance in the Hotlanta.  Not sure it's a great trainer though as it is kind of unique ship.  I rotate the captain between the Hotlanta, Sims, and Kidd (on the rare occasions when I play it).  

But I do need to pick out one captain and start focusing there.  I don't think I have any beyond 12 or 13 points so far.  Is there a way to view all my captains and sort them to find which one has the most points?  I have a few that are at 12, but I need to pick one to focus on going forward. 

• Angry 1

[ARGSY]
Members
6,364 posts
4,293 battles
3 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

But getting the Indy might be a good trainer.  Of all my US Premiums, Texas is my most played.  But get my best performance in the Hotlanta.  Not sure it's a great trainer though as it is kind of unique ship.  I rotate the captain between the Hotlanta, Sims, and Kidd (on the rare occasions when I play it).  

But I do need to pick out one captain and start focusing there.  I don't think I have any beyond 12 or 13 points so far.  Is there a way to view all my captains and sort them to find which one has the most points?  I have a few that are at 12, but I need to pick one to focus on going forward. 

Sadly I don't think there's a captain filter to sort and organise; you'll have to view them all individualy in the port. I know of a few people who keep a spreadsheet of their captains, what ships they're in, etc., and I probably need to get on and do that soon.

[REVY]
Members
954 posts
7,528 battles
On 7/12/2018 at 7:06 AM, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

or, how I learned to stop worrying and love Premium ships

21 hours ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

I've got to think you're a fan of the old Peter Sellars movie, "Doctor Strangelove"?

14 hours ago, Ares1967 said:

I give ya a thumbs up just for the Dr Strangelove reference.

I give an upvote as well

LRKvIsL.gif

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
655 posts
7,602 battles
15 hours ago, Jester_of_War said:

And if you do the math, you see that from 10 Points, you 'only' need 1,525,000 more XP to get to 19 Points. Looks like a lot. But with all the signals, flags and camos, it is actually possible to earn 8,000-10,000 XP per game. (Or so I've been told -- I'm hoarding all my flags and camos for just this project.)

It's possible to earn upwards of 30,000 EXP (maybe more?) given the right ship, camo, signals and of course a stellar game.

[4HIM]
Members
1,813 posts
4,158 battles
33 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

of course a stellar game.

Well, that rules me out. 

[ARGSY]
Members
6,364 posts
4,293 battles
35 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

of course a stellar game.

I should have loaded up my 14 point captain and all the CXP flags on my Nelson last night because I had one of those... but if I'd had them mounted I might have suffered performance pressure and not had the great game.

Ironically, if I'd had the ramming flag on, I might have survived my second ram within a few minutes and gone on to maybe even get a Kraken, but that's for alternative universe me to have done.

[WOLFB]
Members
451 posts
3,836 battles
4 hours ago, ClassicLib said:

It's possible to earn upwards of 30,000 EXP (maybe more?) given the right ship, camo, signals and of course a stellar game.

Yeah, I've heard 30K is possible. My 8,000-10,000 number is based on earning only 800 XP per battle. Which is below average for most ships.

My point is that even a below average player can crank out just that much XP if they mount all the special flags, the Equal Speed Charlie London signal and a basic +50% XP Camo.

Everything else is gravy. If you can get 20,000 or 30,000 per game then you'll get that 19 point commander all that much sooner.

Of course if you're averaging games like that, then you probably already have a whole bench of 19 point commanders.

But this is doable for even potatoes like me.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,480 posts
2,422 battles
6 hours ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

<ptui>  Madvote for causing further trauma!   <g>

7 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

You may be 0-4 in the Texas, but four battles aren't enough to speak to a ship.

They are for Texas.  The first two battles I was in 3-Texas divisions with a couple of very experienced guys.  The "AA barge" is defenseless against TB drops outside it's rather small (if intense) AA envelope.  It can't shoot down the planes and it can't turn.  All six ships were sunk by a couple of canny CV drivers.  Supposedly the cure is an AA range boost that includes AFT, which I use on none of my other ships.

High captain is 15 points on Baltimore.  Next are 12, 12, 11 on Pensacola, New Mexico, Cleveland.  With Cherry Blossom the Tier VIIIs made good progress.

Riddle me something, though.  What good is switching into a premium ship to advance a captain?  Just a second chance as a first-win bonus?  Or do premiums have an intrinsic XP bonus?  (Something I occasionally see alluded to, yet without evidence.)

Edited by iDuckman

[ARGSY]
Members
6,364 posts
4,293 battles
27 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

What good is switching into a premium ship to advance a captain?  Just a second chance as a first-win bonus?  Or do premiums have an intrinsic XP bonus?

If you're not running premium camo on your tech tree ships, the Premium ship gives both the second bite at first-win and (by virtue of its included camo) a 50% XP bonus to every battle, regardless of result. Needless to say, if you dismount the camo and fit another one (e.g. one of the doubloon-hungry ultra-boosty types), that camo then supervenes.

If you (the general you, not you particularly) happen to be grinding pan-Asian ships and have the Anshan, that one has a camo with the typical 50% XP bonus and also double the usual FREE XP.

The other big advantage, of course, is that you don't suffer retraining penalties in premium ships; your captain skills are always fully active, so when advancing a captain to another ship, you can grind out the retraining XP in it without a performance penalty.

28 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Supposedly the cure is an AA range boost that includes AFT, which I use on none of my other ships.

I have the Atlanta, which depends on AFT, and it is my Atlanta captain which now goes into the Texas. So it can be very situational, depending on which ships you have.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu