You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

All the hate for Indianapolis is it justified?

79 comments in this topic

Members
233 posts
4,631 battles

Only 1 more mission and I'll have it. Why is the general opinion of the ship so terrible? Is it one of those ships like the Gascan or the Roma were most don't like them but some love playing them? TIA

[PVE]
Members
511 posts
4,329 battles

Because its fragile, even for a cruiser and that means that you have to play carefully or you'll explode. A lot of people are turned off by how unforgiving its armor is.

Personally I enjoy it and I have had a few really good games in it.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,213 posts
12,740 battles

It's just a very mediocre ship. Mediocre gun handling, mediocre DPM, very fragile and prone to exploding.

[HYDRO]
Members
1,574 posts
3,751 battles

Had like 3 battles in her, she is average at best to me. She is workable as a support ship, and to be honest what I often see are people rushing to get into position to use radar. This in turn makes em exposed to most of the team. Shooting most of the time AP vs cruisers, even at max range, can yield some impressive results however.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
2,985 posts
4,399 battles

it the ship was good,wargaming would not make a campaign where you could get it for free,they did that in world of tanks with E25,didn't end well to MM.

it's a very mediocre ship,and at tier7 and above,if the ship is very mediocre,it's not worth the money.

now if the ship was ok,balanced,it's fine,not good but it's not bad and etc,then yes it would be worth the price.

Edited by Cruxdei

Members
24 posts
14,486 battles

Just like there are no bad dogs, there are really no bad ships( maybe a few). The fault usually lies with the owner. Indy can be a great support ship. You have to watch your position but she has great guns for fire starting and also has good AA. Her radar makes her deadly to DDs. I've played her a lot lately due to the mission and really like her. It.'s fun playing ships that can use AP or HE rounds with good effect. Have fun out there.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[ARGSY]
Members
6,311 posts
4,256 battles
25 minutes ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Why is the general opinion of the ship so terrible?

Others have spoken - it requires a good and careful pair of hands in order to play her well. But I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth; a free T7 premium is a free T7 premium, and if it takes care and diligence to play her well, then I'll let her teach me care and diligence the hard way. In the meantime she offers me a handful (literally five ATM) more chances at a premium destroyer mission unlock than I would otherwise get, and she's a nine-gun 8-inch cruiser into which I can put my nine-gun 8-inch New Orleans captain when the time comes to retrain him for the nine-gun 8-inch Baltimore. And like the Balt, she has radar (for what it's worth; I haven't even bothered mounting mine yet, as I'm used to the New Orleans not having any).

Good luck for the last mission, and remember to take her out immediately to activate the 2,600 Miles of Indianapolis missions and win free crates for random-battle derpage! (Literally, play a random battle, any result, get an American crate; missions drop every three days until July 25 so get them in while you can.)

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[R-R-R]
Members
975 posts
6,598 battles

She has very limited firepower, is squishy and not very maneuverable for her tier.

Her only saving grace is 10km radar. But radar alone doesn't make her fun to play.

I have yet to see a good player who enjoys playing this ship.

Edited by Exciton8964

[ARGSY]
Members
6,311 posts
4,256 battles
19 minutes ago, Exciton8964 said:

She has very limited firepower,

Please explain how her firepower is any less than that of the New Orleans? They both have nine 8-inch guns in three turrets.

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,735 posts
3,490 battles

She was worse than the Pensacola in every way, sans Radar, prior to the rework. Now she's paired with the New Orleans, which she is notably worse than, except she has Radar.

Her having Radar is like putting a new chandelier in a condemed mansion and acting like suddenly it's not about to fall down.

[-ARP-]
Members
292 posts
13,982 battles

I agree that it's a tough ship. But this is my average game with it.

shot-18.07.10_21.11.19-0597-1.jpg

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,735 posts
3,490 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Please explain how her firepower is any less than that of the New Orleans? They both have nine 8-inch guns in three turrets.

14.3 second reload vs 13 second reload. 

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,735 posts
3,490 battles
2 minutes ago, _Bunyan_ said:

I agree that it's a tough ship. But this is my average game with it.

shot-18.07.10_21.11.19-0597-1.jpg

Uh, no it's not. You average 43k damage in it and survive just 28% of the time.

• Funny 4

[ARGSY]
Members
6,311 posts
4,256 battles
2 minutes ago, Madwolf05 said:

14.3 second reload vs 13 second reload. 

On a pure statistical DPM basis you are correct; however, salvoes put out are very situational, and variations in marksmanship between expert and average players and the effects of WASD dodges probably override this difference when it comes to actual damage on target.

[-ARP-]
Members
292 posts
13,982 battles

I let my wife play and she likes to die by showing broadside too often. When you get killed very early... avg dog goes way down. 

Yes my survival rate is down too. I say it's the fact that I would rather die instead of losing and living.  #dontwasteotherstime

• Boring 1

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,735 posts
3,490 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

On a pure statistical DPM basis you are correct; however, salvoes put out are very situational, and variations in marksmanship between expert and average players and the effects of WASD dodges probably override this difference when it comes to actual damage on target.

So then there is no reason the Indianapolis shouldn't have 13 second reload then if it doesn't matter.

[CIAO]
[CIAO]
Members
379 posts
18,323 battles
1 hour ago, mikemet said:

Just like there are no bad dogs

You don't live next door to my neighbor. 

[CAST]
Members
1,204 posts
7,381 battles

The Indy is not a quick agile ship, so you can't do a quick dodge to get out of trouble.  It handles like a big ship without the big ship defenses.  If you hang back and act like a support ship, using islands for cover and generally positioning yourself in advantageous positions on the map, you can make this ship work for you.  But, any ship can usually be made to work in those situations.  People will get mad at you for hanging back in any other ship.  They understand why you do it in the Indy.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,069 posts
9,487 battles

I liked it. Is it the best T7 cruiser? No, but it isn't the worst either. Plus T7 MM is manageable for pretty much any T7 boat

[-GPS-]
Members
2,539 posts
25,031 battles

When I got Indianapolis in a 2016 Christmas crate she was TERRIBLE. I would rather play the Krasny Krym.  Seriously Indy was so bad that I just couldn’t play her  

However, Indianapolis got a series of small buffs during 2017. 10 km radar, lower surface detection, faster reload and faster turret traverse ( not sure about last one).  There may have been a slight range increase too.   Do they make her a great ship?  No.  Fiji, Belfast, and Shchors are all better ships for me, but Indianapolis isn’t horribad anymore. 

[CUTIE]
Beta Testers
4,275 posts
7,855 battles

Indianapolis was a very solid ship when it was first released in 2016. But right now with so many better options in the very same tier range it'll frequently face, the Indianapolis went from a fun ship to a mere mediocre ship.

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,735 posts
3,490 battles
14 minutes ago, Woofship said:

Indianapolis was a very solid ship when it was first released in 2016. But right now with so many better options in the very same tier range it'll frequently face, the Indianapolis went from a fun ship to a mere mediocre ship.

Idk about that. It was worse than now, and Radar wasn't a thing.

[O_O]
Members
792 posts
4,781 battles

I'm coming around to her through the missions.  The radar is very situational and as others have said, rushing up to support your DDs at the beginning of a match is nearly always an invitation for an express return to home port.

Her range is serviceable, not Russian but also not Atlanta and with the rudder module installed she's significantly more agile before and a reasonably capable mid-range kite-fighter.  With Demolition Expert and the two fire-chance flags she's an absolute demon to face in a battleship.  I was nearly burnt down in a Massachusetts game late last week by a fellow who set six sequential fires on me in the course of a match.  It was only a matter of luck that I survived the match with Dreadnought, Fireproof and about 5000hp.  That was partly assisted by the Indy driver in question forgetting about me after I ran away a bit.  He sneaked out from behind an island and discovered that Massachusetts isn't always as inaccurate as many would have you believe.

AP is also excellent and an effective tool against other cruisers.  Battleship soft spots suffer at her hands, but with her excellent fire-setting ability and low DPM numbers I usually stick with HE.

Stick with her support role and don't try to play too far separated from your teammates and you'll have lots of success in a ship that is very much a master of none, but historically significant and capable all the same.  With her high skill floor she's a challenge and will improve a player's overall situational awareness and ability.  It also doesn't hurt to use her to grind containers during this event with a 19 point commander.

-R

[CTF80]
[CTF80]
Members
4,226 posts
10,514 battles

I got mine for $5.00 in a Christmas box two Xmas' ago.  It's worth $5.00; but no more.