Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
dust340man

Getting used to the Tier 8 Cleveland

12 comments in this topic

[S_B]
Members
416 posts
10,781 battles

I'm liking it more and more each battle I play in her and don't even have the hull upgrade yet. I switch between the radar and spotter plane consumables in random battles for a little diversity. I love raining IFHE shells over islands on cruisers and BBs from as far as 18km away or use the radar & hydro to tear up DDs & weak cruisers at times. Definitely a ship you have to play hide and seek with in most battle scenarios. If you're top tier you can be somewhat braver than in a Tier 8-10 battle. Now if I can just figure out how to play the Buffalo better......

Edited by dust340man

[RLGN]
Members
8,288 posts
17,354 battles
25 minutes ago, dust340man said:

Now if I can just figure out how to play the Buffalo better......

Why would it be any different? Same hiding, more, slower firing guns.

[APOC_]
Members
914 posts
6,182 battles

The key to surviving the Cleveland, and really any USN CL/CA past tier 8 is learning the maps and what islands can and can't protect you, offer good firing angles to likely enemy avenues of approach, and and which ones you can shoot over and offer good escape routes. 

It will take some trial and error, and you'll always make mistakes here and there that get you deleted, and sometimes no matter what your team will potato so hard you just can't help them. 

But when you have support? In a good position? My goodness the Cleveland and its fire breathing brethren are monstrously strong. Especially the Buffalo and Des Moines, because they have the armor to actually tank well enough to hold a spot down for a good amount of time. Unless its Yamato or Musashi. Then you just hide. Or die. 

Just hug those islands and rain fire. 

Edited by Falls_USMC

[NNA]
Members
201 posts
5,746 battles

I had the Cleveland before the move to Tier 8 and she was one of my favorite ships to play (along with Atlanta), Now at T-8 I still enjoy her, but I find that I have much better performance with the Baltimore. In playing the Cherry Blossom OP, I did much better and survived more with the Baltimore than the Cleveland. I do like the fact that I now have a spotter for it, but instead of the having the surface radar as the other option, I'd much rather have the catapult fighter to boost up the AA. Still, I play it every time I'm on and will continue to play her.

[-TNT-]
Members
99 posts
10,285 battles

So crappy range guns ,,,,can't take a hit ,,,,and  NO FN HEAL ,,,,so why would we want to even suffer the grind of the cleveland ???

• Bad 1

[-TNT-]
Members
99 posts
10,285 battles

Please put a heal on the USN  8 CA so we can brawl ....8 get put in 10 matches

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[S_B]
Members
416 posts
10,781 battles
On 7/19/2018 at 10:48 PM, War182 said:

So crappy range guns ,,,,can't take a hit ,,,,and  NO FN HEAL ,,,,so why would we want to even suffer the grind of the cleveland ???

I'm into pain and like the challenge. :Smile-_tongue: No grind I already had it and the New Orleans. Got the Baltimore in the update plus a bunch of XP on her so it took me only a week or so to get the Buffalo. Us patriotic Americans have to play American ships whether they are good or not.:Smile-_tongue:

[-TNT-]
Members
99 posts
10,285 battles

The cleveland was a very fun  boat to play ...Now it painfully to play ,,, You guys at very least should have gave it a heal ..then we could brawl .....Have you seen what a Charles Martel range ADV can do to a cleveland ,,,, it's bad ,, Or when you get in to a 10 match and BB delete's you ... Just not a fun ship to play anymore .

[280ZX]
Members
707 posts
10,551 battles
4 hours ago, War182 said:

The cleveland was a very fun  boat to play ...Now it painfully to play ,,, You guys at very least should have gave it a heal ..then we could brawl .....Have you seen what a Charles Martel range ADV can do to a cleveland ,,,, it's bad ,, Or when you get in to a 10 match and BB delete's you ... Just not a fun ship to play anymore .

Exactly right. Not fun, this is not supposed to be a job, but a game. Martel is fantastic, even ARP Takao, but Cleve, without IFHE, is garbage according to one of the board's experts.

Edited by Ericson38

[280ZX]
Members
707 posts
10,551 battles

Just played the stupid thing in the T8-10 battle on Oceans Map. What a miserable joke without one key captain skill, IFHE.

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester
1,459 posts
1,747 battles

Probably would be better if tilt right now wasn't so much to tier 10 matches.   I'm guessing playing anything T8 is about 80% likely to get a T10 match.   Range of guns is really an issue there.    About the only way to get along in those is to find something distracted? Its very useful as a radar ship, but you have to get so close to do that.   The entire US Cruiser line just is insta-spotted and remains that way the entire game...pretty much in a T10 match if you are focused upon you are dead..   I think it would be quite sexy in a T8 match..Just wouldn't know, because in my 25 or so games in it since coming back to the game, I haven't gotten one?  

Sign in to follow this