You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Stones62

trolling the lower tiers or what

54 comments in this topic

[TGC]
Beta Testers
7 posts
781 battles

So having slowly crawled my way up the ladder, I've now got several tier 4 ships.  Unfortunately, it seems I can't even come close to competing.  It is very common to take crits & fire hits multiple times in a row, including citadel hits against my ships. In return, I rarely do citadel hits, fire or criticals.  So are folks with 19 point commanders trolling the lower tiers for amusement and making the game total suck for those of us just coming in?  (Yes, I was in the beta long ago, but I left soon thereafter and only recently returned.)  I know I'm not a fantastic player, but I do tend to play consistently mid tier, so I don't think it's just that I suck at the game.  It is just so frustrating to be on the losing side match after match (my winrate for ijn tier 4 is around 19% - so much fun...).  Just curious about the trolling of experienced players to make the game worthless for new folks...

• Bad 1

Beta Testers
12 posts
2,435 battles

I play tier 4-5 a lot because I like the ship types. Also the Arkansas which you should have has 7km secondaries at tier 4 which are godly. 

Just keep getting better that's how the game works. 

[EQRN]
Members
348 posts
8,991 battles

I love it when I take ole Vampire out and seeing "LOCATED".  Maybe put caps on skill points per tier, like 10 pts T1-4, 19 pts T5-10?  I mean, seasoned unicums are playing lower tiers for a challenge, right?

[SOFOP]
Members
256 posts
3,660 battles

19 point captains really won't make a huge difference at those tiers.  Some, but not significant.  The real bonus from a 19 point captain is that the person who owns it probably has 3-4k battles under their belt at minimum, and has played higher tier ships.  In short, they are probably MUCH better than someone that only has T4 ships.

Practice against bots and watch youtube videos from streamers.  You'll get better and learn from mistakes.

[SYN]
Members
14,469 posts
10,488 battles

There might be, yeah.

T4/5 Cruisers aren't generally in a good place right now, IMO.

Usually most people don't bring 19pt captains onto tech tree T3/4/5 ships, but definitely watch out for Premiums, especially ships like Gulio Cesare, which is stupidly good, Period.

1 minute ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

19 point captains really won't make a huge difference at those tiers.  Some, but not significant.  The real bonus from a 19 point captain is that the person who owns it probably has 3-4k battles under their belt at minimum, and has played higher tier ships.  In short, they are probably MUCH better than someone that only has T4 ships.

Practice against bots and watch youtube videos from streamers.  You'll get better and learn from mistakes.

nuh uh, 19pt captains in T1~5 produce far more effective ships.

Like Orion with 19pts is stupidly strong.

Edited by MrDeaf

[DENY]
Members
349 posts
4,787 battles

Last night was seal clubbing at t5 with the fury taco with Yamamoto on ?, even manage a double strike again a BB and a DD in the middle of 2 brother map ,  the ship is only a little variable the player make the difference , if you get citadel you need to angle better

[EQRN]
Members
348 posts
8,991 battles

What exactly is the point of taking a minimum 14 pt captain into a battle with noobs farting around with 1-2 point captains?  If one enjoys pre ww2 or is looking for a break from high tier play and radars, great, recruit yourself a new captain and do as the Romans do.

[SYN]
Members
14,469 posts
10,488 battles
2 minutes ago, FrodoFraggin said:

What exactly is the point of taking a minimum 14 pt captain into a battle with noobs farting around with 1-2 point captains?  If one enjoys pre ww2 or is looking for a break from high tier play and radars, great, recruit yourself a new captain and do as the Romans do.

Unfortunately, the game has become so cutthroat, that you are 100% required to have a 10~12pt captain at T5, otherwise GG

[TBW]
Members
6,421 posts
12,071 battles

They are fun (low tiers). There is nothing like the Derzki but my captain is only 11 points. It's more likely that it's just that you don't know the game mechanics yet and or strategy.

• Cool 2

[SOFOP]
Members
256 posts
3,660 battles
10 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

There might be, yeah.

T4/5 Cruisers aren't generally in a good place right now, IMO.

Usually most people don't bring 19pt captains onto tech tree T3/4/5 ships, but definitely watch out for Premiums, especially ships like Gulio Cesare, which is stupidly good, Period.

What I meant though is that the biggest difference will be that the player is a lot more experienced if he has a few 19 pointers laying around.  The legit T4 person is going to get owned by the person that has 19 point captains, even if they don't bother to load one in.

[INTEL]
Members
812 posts
8,362 battles
1 minute ago, FrodoFraggin said:

Well, I have a 19pter in the Clemson. Not because I need him there, or want to club seals every night, but I simply have no place else to put him. That being said...

If you think its noobs farting around with 1-2pt capts, you might wanna come down and play a few matches. Yeah the Noobs are there, and alongside them are professional clubbers who play nothing but low tiers. I had my rear handed to me not long ago by an Izyaslav and I'm no easy kill. This guy was good. Dude had over 10k matches and almost 4k of them was in that ship. Less than 500 matches total above T4 as well

[DENY]
Members
349 posts
4,787 battles
6 minutes ago, FrodoFraggin said:

For fun , most of my t10 got 19pts capt on them , sometimes you just need that different gameplay that there in the lower tier , 

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,837 posts
11,180 battles
25 minutes ago, Stones62 said:

So having slowly crawled my way up the ladder, I've now got several tier 4 ships.  Unfortunately, it seems I can't even come close to competing.  It is very common to take crits & fire hits multiple times in a row, including citadel hits against my ships. In return, I rarely do citadel hits, fire or criticals.  So are folks with 19 point commanders trolling the lower tiers for amusement and making the game total suck for those of us just coming in?  (Yes, I was in the beta long ago, but I left soon thereafter and only recently returned.)  I know I'm not a fantastic player, but I do tend to play consistently mid tier, so I don't think it's just that I suck at the game.  It is just so frustrating to be on the losing side match after match (my winrate for ijn tier 4 is around 19% - so much fun...).  Just curious about the trolling of experienced players to make the game worthless for new folks...

Find some u tube vids on how to play, like Ichases captains academy, they will help, ones I recommend are armour angling, how to aim to start with, he has plenty of them for individual needs.

But yes your right people go play lower tiers for some fun, regardless if they have 19 point commanders it does not mean they can not use their T4 ships if they want to, just hope they're on your team

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,808 posts
15,355 battles
32 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

19 point captains really won't make a huge difference at those tiers.

19 point Captains make a huge difference at every tier.

Members
322 posts
6,075 battles

With the exception of my Fujin/Kamikaze R, if I am running any of my tier 2-5 premiums, it's usually to get the daily xp and commander xp for a lower level captain.  My IJN premium DD's will ALWAYS be running either my Yugumo or Shimakaze captain's in them. Sorry guys :cap_rambo: That being said, most of my "lower" level captains,  are 10-14, and I think 2 17's.  My Yubari will usually be my Zao, Ibuki, or Aoba captains.  Even with my Bismarck captain in my Koing Albert, a rookie in a CV or just about any DD can just wreck it. I have enough free captain xp saved up, that I can bump up new captains to 10 fairly easily, and recover the points I spent, before I need to use them again. It also greatly helps, when you can earn free captains that are already partially leveled up, such as the one from the Indianapolis mission, the campaigns, etc. The extra survival options a higher level captain brings to the table, will affect things, without a doubt. It's low tier game play, so a lot still boils down to pure luck more often than not. I found watching the dedicated seal clubbers when I was a rookie, helped me learn.  But my rookie days were before the IJN DD nerfs, and the Isokaze and the 10 km torp Minekaze were a thing still. And Hosho's could still manual drop...and no fire breathing Orions. Some things never change though...*CoughClemsonsCough*

I could see them doing something like having separate queues, for say, players with less than 500 or so battles, at tiers 2-4.  I think they did something like that for World of Tanks? Tier 5 and up, should be fair game for anything. Players should have some grasp of game mechanics and play by tier 5-6.

Edited by Valas1

Members
9,997 posts

It's a side effect of the punishment players take at higher tiers. WG pushes players to get to tier 10, but instead  quite a few players revert to low tier, no absurd mm, radar, and predictable game play.... 

Not really good for long term retention of newer players, but doubt they'll ever do anything about it.

Edited by awiggin
  • Cool 3

[KABUM]
Members
12 posts
4,606 battles

You'll see it alot with CVs. You rarely see a CV in a higher tier battle. Occasionally you might see a midway but you almost always see two CVs a side at lower tiers. People do love to seal club. Also unfortunately some very fun ships are low tier so you can't help that such as the ohotnik or however it's spelled. And since premiums are captain trainers you'll likely to see a higher tier player running one. 

Members
1,866 posts

All the missions are at least tier 5 and up, so there's a strong incentive to play above tier 4. But keep in mind that every line of ships starts low, and people run through a lot of lines. You will see some experienced players at tier 4 just for the fun of it. Look out for: divisions, clan tags, premium ships. You'll get better at not getting blapped, so don't worry. When you move up to tier 5, you will see up to tier 7 ships, and people play tiers 5-6-7 much more. Not too many players have the best captains to use for tier 4, but they may have better captains.

Members
95 posts
128 battles
2 hours ago, Stones62 said:

It's all part of the learning process, it has been since the game started, and TBH, in the long run it helps gain better experience as a player, sooner or later, the experience will make life easier as you climb each tier. 

[RKLES]
Members
7,243 posts
9,040 battles

There are many instructional videos on YouTube that might help you figure out what you are doing wrong and learn. Lol we all have had to go through the learning process and those tricks like shooting Citadels of ships you will in time be able to do the same things as well.

Big thing to avoid doing is buy any premium ships that have tiers higher than what you have gotten up to in the normal ships. And then the new players wonder why some good ships are not working. But once you have some battles in on various tiers then they can be a lot of fun.

[BOTES]
Members
1,919 posts
6,658 battles

19pt is horribly overrated. The actual discrepancy starts at 10. That's when everyone gets CE and BB start outspotting CA who don't have it.

[NO]
Members
360 posts
13,173 battles
3 hours ago, Stones62 said:

Look at it as a chance to see what they are doing that makes them better, feel free to ask in all chat. Yes there are [edited], but there are also regular folks out there that r willing to help. They would answer your questions. I admit they may be harsh but taking out the insults there is usually an element of truth.

Not everyone who plays low tiers are for sealclubbing. Heck I rarely play low tiers (I count tier 7 as the lowest I’m usually willing to do otherwise I feel dirty). But I am still forced to play low tiers since I need to grind ship lines and thus am forced to start from the bottom. 

Also sometimes players need the moral boost. Players I play with that often play competitive and do well often feel frustrated in high tiers when they get on a lose streak that they can’t seem to carry hard enough. Thus they will play maybe two or three low tier games since it is easier to carry. This does not happen a lot, usually once every like 100 games. We are all human, sometimes we just need to de stress.

TLDR- captain points don’t matter, it is he player that matters, thus why not use it as an opportunity to watch and improve? People sealclub for different reasons, some for fun, some to destress, others to grind new lines. We are all humans we have our desires and thus don’t hate.

[RLGN]
Members
8,309 posts
17,365 battles
3 hours ago, MrDeaf said:

Bogue with 19 points...

[HINON]
Members
9,059 posts
6 hours ago, Valas1 said:

I could see them doing something like having separate queues, for say, players with less than 500 or so battles, at tiers 2-4.  I think they did something like that for World of Tanks? Tier 5 and up, should be fair game for anything. Players should have some grasp of game mechanics and play by tier 5-6.

There already is a separate mm for newbies.

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
7 hours ago, MrDeaf said:

Unfortunately, the game has become so cutthroat, that you are 100% required to have a 10~12pt captain at T5, otherwise GG

10 is a minimum for DD, any tier.