Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
motormouth85

Unrequited Love - Gneisenau

17 comments in this topic

[MOO]
Members
57 posts
5,970 battles

I want to like this ship.  I REALLY want to like this ship.  I absolutely love her, but I don't like her.  She is a cruel mistress.  Easy on the eyes, a smooth talker...

but oh

my

god

Those guns are abysmal.  Up close, out far, it doesn't matter.  You could have an enemy Fuso at 6km broadside, and you won't hit it.  Yet at the same time, you could blind fire over an island and max range, and devastate a cruiser.  WG, I beg you, please buff the accuracy.  She needs more consistency.  I will continue to love Gneisenau, but until her guns get some love, she will remain a temperamental tramp, that I will not like.

Members
4,538 posts
6,428 battles

I don't have her but in-game seems to be average at best. 

[RKLES]
Members
7,195 posts
8,940 battles

Gneisenau is like Battlecruiser, so she is fast, reasonably well armored and armed. But not quite as armored as heavier Battleship would be. 

As far as the gun accuracy goes I simply try to only fire under 16km range, but preferably under 10km range. I have gotten used to her guns the way they are and can’t mprnsatmg my aim for the dispersion, but if you are having trouble mount the Aiming Mod 1 to help with the gun accuracy.

[ZR]
Members
958 posts
11,282 battles

She has plenty of other really strong points that make up for the dispersion.

Monster AA, incredible speed, great armor, slim profile, good manuverability, and while the guns can be frustrating they still hit really hard and have good shell values.

A buff is unwarranted.

Beta Testers
185 posts
2,246 battles

If you love everything about the Gneiss, right down to her torps, except for her guns, then maybe oyu should look at the Scharnhorst. Sure, her guns aren't as big, but they fire a lot faster, are a heck of a lot more accurate and does absolutely terrible things to most cruisers. It's a very different play style for a ship that is so close to her sister ship but is by far my favorite ship in the game.

That said, I did have a great time with the Gneiss as well IIRC.

[FAE]
Members
2,160 posts
2,630 battles
On 7/11/2018 at 8:05 PM, motormouth85 said:

I want to like this ship.  I REALLY want to like this ship.  I absolutely love her, but I don't like her.  She is a cruel mistress.  Easy on the eyes, a smooth talker...

but oh

my

god

Those guns are abysmal.  Up close, out far, it doesn't matter.  You could have an enemy Fuso at 6km broadside, and you won't hit it.  Yet at the same time, you could blind fire over an island and max range, and devastate a cruiser.  WG, I beg you, please buff the accuracy.  She needs more consistency.  I will continue to love Gneisenau, but until her guns get some love, she will remain a temperamental tramp, that I will not like.

I run mine with the accuracy mod. And citadel'ed Iowas at 19km. (This is uncommon admittedly). 

Go accuracy mod. Half accuracy half secondaries. Gneis generally doesn't need survivability. AFT BFT ManSecs

She also has better pen than Scharn.

Members
699 posts
10,483 battles

I'm grinding through the Bayern now for her. The WoW ingame ratings for her is higher for every category except for concealment, and I'm comparing the base ship with a maxed out Bayern with a 12 pt captain with CE. Typically, when moving up a tier, the previous tier ship rates better in in game metrics than the next one, due to upgrades invested in the prior one. Is it that much better than Bayern ?

[KREW]
[KREW]
Members
144 posts
1,834 battles

Just got my Gneisenau the other day it does seem to have an accuracy issue I do prefer my Tirpitz in comparison but the Gneisenau is nice looking for me its a stepping stone to the Bismarck.

Members
8 posts
892 battles
5 hours ago, CaptDavid said:

Just got my Gneisenau the other day it does seem to have an accuracy issue I do prefer my Tirpitz in comparison but the Gneisenau is nice looking for me its a stepping stone to the Bismarck.

Took a while, but loved my Gneis. I was like you and couldn’t wait to get Bismarck. But at this time I’m pretty frustrated with her. Shells aren’t as punchy at long range (I’m having to use HE a lot whereas I didn’t do it much with Gneis). Both are meant to be primarily brawlers, but double for Bismarck it seems. I was in a match the other day with a great team and did 120k damage but more often than not I’m averaging around 30k right now. Lots of times I’m getting focused on before I can even fight. I’m sure there is plenty I still have to learn, but....

[KREW]
[KREW]
Members
144 posts
1,834 battles

I would upgrade the modules but the XP I'm saving for the Bismarck not gonna upgrade the Gneisenau at this time my Tirpitz is much better the Big sister ship of the Bismarck rocks.

[RKLES]
Members
7,195 posts
8,940 battles
8 hours ago, fuller31 said:

Took a while, but loved my Gneis. I was like you and couldn’t wait to get Bismarck. But at this time I’m pretty frustrated with her. Shells aren’t as punchy at long range (I’m having to use HE a lot whereas I didn’t do it much with Gneis). Both are meant to be primarily brawlers, but double for Bismarck it seems. I was in a match the other day with a great team and did 120k damage but more often than not I’m averaging around 30k right now. Lots of times I’m getting focused on before I can even fight. I’m sure there is plenty I still have to learn, but....

Bismarck you need full secondary build with high point Captain to make it work. Also your effective gun range is about 17km or less. I have the Concealment module mounted, so I can get a little closer undetected and then open Fire once I hit my detection range which works well, and once I get less than 11.3km from my target then the Secondaries go to work.

Guns on Gneisenau are similar in their temperament, not good long range, but mid range or close range they work well.

[70]
Members
973 posts
3,846 battles
On 7/21/2018 at 8:23 PM, BlailBlerg said:

ManSecs

I'm going to have to ask you to consider altering your abbreviation for Manual Secondaries, due to the reading...

Edited by Guardian54
  • Funny 2

Members
8 posts
892 battles
On 8/4/2018 at 10:48 AM, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Bismarck you need full secondary build with high point Captain to make it work. Also your effective gun range is about 17km or less. I have the Concealment module mounted, so I can get a little closer undetected and then open Fire once I hit my detection range which works well, and once I get less than 11.3km from my target then the Secondaries go to work.

Guns on Gneisenau are similar in their temperament, not good long range, but mid range or close range they work well.

I do have the secondary build with flag, so that’s definitely nice.  I really thought about the concealment module but opted not to because I felt it’s so terrible on concealment anyway it wouldn’t make much of a difference.  

I’m working on positioning yesterday and today and it seems to have helped some.  I don’t want to sit back and snipe, but I can’t charge with everyone and get left holding the bag if they bail, or let them expect me to be a one man wrecking crew.  So I’m just working on being more patient and picking my shots.  I’m staying undetected more that way which is allowing me to get closer thus do more damage.  

I now have the B hull, which gives me a little more HP and better AA.  So we will see how that goes. 

[RKLES]
Members
7,195 posts
8,940 battles
21 minutes ago, fuller31 said:

I do have the secondary build with flag, so that’s definitely nice.  I really thought about the concealment module but opted not to because I felt it’s so terrible on concealment anyway it wouldn’t make much of a difference.  

I’m working on positioning yesterday and today and it seems to have helped some.  I don’t want to sit back and snipe, but I can’t charge with everyone and get left holding the bag if they bail, or let them expect me to be a one man wrecking crew.  So I’m just working on being more patient and picking my shots.  I’m staying undetected more that way which is allowing me to get closer thus do more damage.  

I now have the B hull, which gives me a little more HP and better AA.  So we will see how that goes. 

Concealment skill does allow you to get a little closer without getting spotted, you then get better chances of using Secondaries.

[-TBP-]
Members
25 posts
3,021 battles

I tried as well bc i love the german BB line up to that point but i just couldnt force myself to keep grinding her. Up to that point the german BBs werent a grind to me but she changed all that unfortuantely.

[REKTD]
Members
21 posts
3,085 battles

It really does take a bit. I stopped played Gneisenau because I was experiencing the same. Then I got Hood and had a mini win streak going, so started playing Gneisenau again, and once I figured her out it became a lot of fun. 

Despite reputation as a brawler, I start at range, and can get a lot of AP hits in at over 16k. Broadside targets are the best, frequent citadel. I played her exclusively one day and went from 81k ship points to 136k (and got Bismarck). Now Gneisenau is one of my favorites. If you are having issues, try and find another Gneisenau or Scharnhorst and play near it (like in real life - the twins were a force together). I have not been beat when doing this, and cannot win when facing it. 

Beta Testers
178 posts
3,661 battles

Tier for tier it is probably the best Bb in the game:

Got armor to deflect tier 9 BB shells is you dont sell bow on or broadside, best AA for the tier, that thing can go up to 32 knots without the flag, extremely brutal secondaries and even better if you go IFHE, torpedoes, agile like a cruiser and the gunz are big but well they are Germans.....

This thing is built and have the tools to get in the face of anything, melt it down with a never ending hail of HE and if they are still floating to shoot "balance lances" to them.

Make no mistake the Gneise is a beast and underestimating it will get you sinking.

Sign in to follow this