Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
bigbearbeear

Dallas : AA firepower?

5 comments in this topic

[WOLF5]
Members
279 posts
5,259 battles

I'm quite used to American cruisers packing massive amount of AA guns that can wipe out entire squadrons of attacking planes, but the Dallas feels a little on the "meh" side.  Granted I'm still on Hull A on her but when playing the current operation "Aegis", it can't seems to shoot down many planes like the old T6 Cleveland could.

Anyone else feeling a little underwhelmed with Dallas AA firepower?

[L-H]
Members
77 posts
7,703 battles

Once you get the upgraded B Hull, the as gets a decent amount better. Not on par with the old Cleveland. But I can remember at least 4 or 5 games where I shot down around 35 aircraft.

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
497 posts
3,670 battles

I agree but she does have fewer DP secondaries than Cleve. Seems meh even spec for AA and with def fire active

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,461 posts
8,119 battles
1 hour ago, bigbearbeear said:

I'm quite used to American cruisers packing massive amount of AA guns that can wipe out entire squadrons of attacking planes, but the Dallas feels a little on the "meh" side.  Granted I'm still on Hull A on her but when playing the current operation "Aegis", it can't seems to shoot down many planes like the old T6 Cleveland could.

Anyone else feeling a little underwhelmed with Dallas AA firepower?

This is because Cleveland was never supposed to be a tier 6 - she was forced down to that tier by Wargaming cause she was a 152 mm gun light cruiser and the rest of the line was 203 mm heavy cruisers. And they have a weird obsession that the calibers have to stay the same, hence no 283 mm option on Gnei as much as many of us want it. Back in the day there was a point her AA guns told you what tier they were, her DP guns were tier 9 - in tier 6 battles. It had better AA then the 2 ships after it. 

You have half the long rane DP guns, and I believe at a lower DPS, which was the big killer with Cleveland, especially due to range at those tiers (akin to minotaur in high tiers when you have max AA range and how much of a map it covers). With the B hull, you have the same number of dual 40 mm guns, but lack the 4x4 40 mm bofors, and about half the 20 mm guns, albeit they have a fairly short range and are mostly anti DB. A hull the .50's are near useless even against DB'sand the old "Chicago Piano's" aren't great either. The improved range of the 20 mm's and the improved range and DPS of the 40 mm's will help. 

Only things with more AA at that tier are Pensacola. and at least a couple BB's (NM has a slight edge in DPS, but no DF AA, QE beats both NM and Dallas in DPS, but has inferior range on it's mid range auto cannons), not sure about the others.

Basically, you've gone from an OP ship to a balanced/maybe a tad too weak ship, so yeah, it's always gonna feel inferior. 

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

Dallas Diet Pensacola is a fine little ship, she can swat plenty of planes and that double-dose of cat fighter and DFAA makes sure that nothing a CV drops on you is going to hit straight anyway.

Odd thought that just occurred to me though: Caliber progression aside the Cleveland at tier 8 with Pensacola and Nola where they are now honestly may have been a better gameplay progression than what was the original USN cruiser line. I know, no point in really talking about this now since the split is done and we can't turn back the clock, but really think about it. Which ship is closest to the Des Moines in terms or playstyle in the USN tree? Cleveland! Both of them are rapid-fire dakka-machines with great AA and high arcs. Heck, let's look at the tier 7 premium cruisers the devs have cooked up for the US (and old by the US). Atlanta would be your analog to Worcester, Indianapolis has those big guns that hit hard like Alaska will, but what is the Des Moines of the bunch? Boise/Nueve de Julio of course, once again for the sheer volume of fire put out. It's a sensible fit to me anyway.

Sign in to follow this